Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2015, 17:22   #346
BHPian

re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
A 4 AM start should ensure you would be in Nagercoil by 1 PM, if you plan your breaks properly. (Breakfast @ Salem - CBE A2B - refer to couple of posts earlier by ARun for the location and a tea break aound Kodai Road/Thirumangalam in Temple City or Hari's) .
For Breakfas, had mentioned that as an option, since there is not much options to have food after Salem till Kodai Road.
As Arun had mentioned Thoppur is an option, the only catch is its on the l RHS.

For your query on the turn off, the fuel station is HP on the RHS. Check the map below :

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...9ab46eda98fb33
hamster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 18:10   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
For your query on the turn off, the fuel station is HP on the RHS. Check the map below :

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...9ab46eda98fb33
There is one on the left side as well, right? Exactly at the exit.
Old 16th August 2015, 19:56   #348
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Last 20Kms is 2L road and you will have to take a left just before a fly-over at Kavalkinaru and then take right below the same fly-over. There is a fuel station at this exit as well(I think its HP).

This exit is around 18-20Kms from the Vallioor exit. And 6-7 Kms from Panakudi. So, better to reduce the speed after crossing Panakudi and lookout for the Nagercoil/Trivandrum exit board or the fuel station. This board is very close to the exit and not so big.
Thanks. 20Km on NH7 is 2 laned ? I don't remember such a section between Tirunelveli and Kanyakumari, it was all 4 lane except very close to Kanyakumari.
Approximately how far is the Panakudi exit from Capsi restaurant ? Had stopped there en route Kanyakumari so will be an easier to remember reference point.

Last edited by NPV : 16th August 2015 at 20:00.
Old 16th August 2015, 20:30   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Thanks. 20Km on NH7 is 2 laned ? I don't remember such a section between Tirunelveli and Kanyakumari, it was all 4 lane except very close to Kanyakumari.
Approximately how far is the Panakudi exit from Capsi restaurant ? Had stopped there en route Kanyakumari so will be an easier to remember reference point.
You have to get off the Nh7 kanyakumari route at kavalkinaru to take the Nagercoil trivandrum route. It's two lane from there on till the end ! It's around 6km from panagudi.
sbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 20:37   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, till Kanyakumari it's 4L. For nagercoil, you will have to exit at Kavalkinaru and after this it's 2L. As per google maps its 85Kms.(Capsi till Kavalkinaru exit for Nagercoil).

Last edited by arun_josie : 16th August 2015 at 20:45.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 00:12   #351
BHPian

Quote:
These are the missing links that will help me plan
An alternate route for return journey and right time to do nagerkoil-trivandrum.
For Blr - Tvm it is better to take Tenkasi - Thenmala route. You can easily enter Tvm city in 12 hrs including all breaks. Thenmala roads were in good condition when I traveled in June. Take Nagercoil route only if you start late so that you pass Marthandam after 11pm.

For your return journey, you can take Nagercoil route and it is better option than Thenkasi. You can pass Marthandom stretch early morning and hit the TN highway faster.

Other than the traffic/time aspect, the Thenkasi route also provides a refreshing change in terms of landscape/roads. If you start from Blr around 7am, you will exit the Expressway after lunch and the drive becomes more engaging with fast curves and some greenery. By evening you will be entering Kerala with added excitement. You will never feel bored or sleepy.
Continuing on Nagercoil route after lunch has been extremely boring (could be a personal thing) and the struggle on the last leg spoils your entire drive experience.

On return trip, You will already be bored with KL greenery and will be longing to hit the highways soon. The Thekasi route could get irritating as it takes long time to reach the highway.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 08:58   #352
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
For Blr - Tvm it is better to take Tenkasi - Thenmala route. You can easily enter Tvm city in 12 hrs including all breaks. Thenmala roads were in good condition when I traveled in June. Take Nagercoil route only if you start late so that you pass Marthandam after 11pm.

For your return journey, you can take Nagercoil route and it is better option than Thenkasi. You can pass Marthandom stretch early morning and hit the TN highway faster.
Thanks, an alternate perspective is always good
I plan to start early, say by 4am since I always feel comfortable beating heaving traffic and covering a lot of distance before a lunch break, idea being I would like to reach the destination by sunset.
If I start at 4am, what would be your suggested plan including stops ?
Also, how do I get to the Tenmala route ? From where is the diversion ? Any landmarks ?
Old 17th August 2015, 09:26   #353
J.Ravi

Quote:
Also, how do I get to the Tenmala route ? From where is the diversion ? Any landmarks ?
You have to go via Srivilliputhur/Rajapalayam/Shenkottai. It's a good 2-laned NH/SH. Take left down ramp after Thirumangalam on NH 7 that leads towards Tenkasi/Kutralam.
  (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 09:52   #354
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
You have to go via Srivilliputhur/Rajapalayam/Shenkottai. It's a good 2-laned NH/SH. Take left down ramp after Thirumangalam on NH 7 that leads towards Tenkasi/Kutralam.
Thanks Ravi sir!
This seems like a good alternate route, maybe good idea to do this for onward journey and return via Nagercoil by leaving traivandrum early morning.
Would be great if you could give a time break up plan for this route, will start from Bangalore at 4am. Also, what are the place en route that can covered with not too much detour ? Kutralam, etc ?
Old 17th August 2015, 10:05   #355
J.Ravi

Quote:
Would be great if you could give a time break up plan for this route, will start from Bangalore at 4am.
Assuming an average speed of 60 km, you require about 12 hours to drive 700 km including food and fuel breaks. Add more hours, if you are visiting temples and waterfalls at Kutralam and Palaruvi en route.

Quote:
what are the place en route that can covered with not too much detour ? Kutralam, etc ?
1. Waterfalls at Kutralam [Courtallam] and Palaruvi.

2. Temples at Srivilliputhur and Tenkasi.
  (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 11:28   #356
BHPian

Quote:
This seems like a good alternate route
Quote:
what are the place en route that can covered with not too much detour ? Kutralam, etc ?
If you are taking this route, I suggest Tenkasi - Sankarankovil - Rajapalayam - Srivilliputtur and visit the famous Gomathi Amman temple at Sankarankoil. You don't have decent options for a good restaurant between Tenkasi - Srivilliputtur.

The water flow is normal in Kutralam and will increase if it rains. It will be heavily crowded on weekends if water flow is heavy. I suggest you to stick to Main Falls @ Kutralam as parking will be easy. Enquire with the locals about the water flow if you are planning to visit there.

Last edited by Grand Drive : 17th August 2015 at 11:47.
Grand Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 11:36   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, what would the best route for Bangalore-Trivandrum in current conditions ? Also can someone give me a good time wise breakup with stops for breakfast and lunch for the drive plan ? Can start really early not a constraint.
NPV, I have traveled to Marthandam/Thuckalay & Kodai in April 2015.

I have compiled a triploag and posting it here. You will get a good idea about the route, distance, duration & tolls.

Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-trip-records1.jpg

Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-trip-records2.jpg
iVento is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 14:46   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, an alternate perspective is always good
I plan to start early, say by 4am since I always feel comfortable beating heaving traffic and covering a lot of distance before a lunch break, idea being I would like to reach the destination by sunset.
If I start at 4am, what would be your suggested plan including stops ?
4AM start!!!! I can only dream of such an early start. Usually I plan for a 7AM start and end up starting the actual trip after 8AM (Mostly on Sundays). I always reach home before 9PM.
For 4AM start, you will be escaping the traffic at Hosur and Salem; which means, you will cross Rajapalayam before 12pm. Rajapalayam has some good hotels. but if you pass Rajapalayam, it will be difficult to find good hotels until you reach Thenkasi/Courtalam which is another 1.5hrs drive.

The route, follow Ravi Sirs direction. You can follow the road until Thenkasi without any confusion. Rajapalayam had deviations in June due to road works, Hope it is open now. There is a bridge construction at Thenkasi which is going on for quite sometime. Sygic GPS will take to the dead end at Bridge site (unless the Bridge is open now), so keep an eye for sign boards and ask for directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
On Thenmala-TVM stretch, After Madathara, I continue towards Nilamel to reach MC Road and go via Kilimanoor - Vembayam to enter TVM city. How is the Palode - Nedumangadu road condition (as shown in your route map)? I know it is shorter, but the so called rubberised roads of MC road is a treat to drive.

This weekend, I will be taking the Palakkad - Ekm route since I have to drop my friend at Ekm. How is the road condition? The last time I did this route was in 2009. (NH7 was far better despite being under construction in 2009-10). During those times, the Salem roads were pathetic and hence I used to go via Mettur dam bypassing Salem. Is this still a recommended route?
What is the condition of Kerala roads? I am planning to start at 6AM from Blr, What all should I be expecting?

Last edited by Holyghost : 17th August 2015 at 14:48.
Holyghost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 14:58   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post

This weekend, I will be taking the Palakkad - Ekm route since I have to drop my friend at Ekm. How is the road condition? T I am planning to start at 6AM from Blr, What all should I be expecting?
Good roads all the way till Kochi Airport turn off on NH47.

The only bad section is after the L&T bypass after CBE till a couple of kms till the Kerala border.After that its bliss all the way till Vadakencheri.After Vadakkencheri,its the traditional messy 2 lane all the way till Mannuthy.After which 4 lane again.Overall budget for a 9hr drive to EKM.Dont go via Mettur,stick to NH7 all the way from Hosur till Salem.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 16:27   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would be great if you could give a time break up plan for this route, will start from Bangalore at 4am. Also, what are the place en route that can covered with not too much detour ? Kutralam, etc ?
For breakfast, you can consider a early stop at Salem or Valluvar Family Restaurant between Karur and Dindugal. You can refer the below update from Ravi Sir. This comes on the right side though.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3774760

There are few options between Salem - Karur as well, but I have never tried them.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks