Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2013, 21:23   #46
BHPian

Re: Route: Delhi to Chennai via Kolkata

Ravi Sir, The Ramba diversions wasn't there when I crossed in June 2012. Over bridge was completed though only one lane was open for traffic.

I did this route in June 2012. I was returning from Ladakh. Did Madurai - Bangalore - Mumbai - Delhi (3 days) while going and Delhi - Kolkata - Chennai - Pondicherry on my way back.

It's tough via this route compared to Mumbai route. Took me 6 day including two days stay in Kolkata.

Day 1 - Faridabad - Dehri (900 kms 9am to 1pm)
Day 2 - Dehri - Kolkata (540 kms 10 am - 11pm)
Day 3 & 4 - Halt at Kolkata
Day 5 - Kolkata - Bhubaneswar (1.30pm - 10pm)
Day 6 - Bhubaneswar - Pondicherry (this 1400 km stretch this took me 25 hrs from 6am to 7am the next day)

Roads are all 4 laned roughly 95 % except a few patches here and there mostly in Odisha and AP. The remaining 5% includes diversions, unfinished roads and city traffic.

Driving TN registered car in Kolkata is a nightmare. Traffic is a mess and cops will be waiting to harass you. In fact, driving in kolkata was the most stressful in my entire pan India drive. I felt so relieved after crossing Odisha border but again crossing the border was itself a very new experience. There were a few thousand trucks parked in the border and mine was the only car to cross it. Don't know why there weren't any other cars.

Last edited by Harshavarthan : 22nd March 2013 at 21:27.
Harshavarthan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 21:48   #47

Re: Route: Delhi to Chennai via Kolkata

Thanks Harshavarthan. Kolkata sounds pretty bad! Am sure the city's going to be as chaotic, but am hoping the other roads have got better in a year. Also, thanks for the TN registration heads-up -- mine's a TN car too, so good to be prepared!
Old 31st July 2013, 00:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi - Chennai : Route Queries

Folks,

I am planning a similar journey of mine - personal relocation - blame short-sighted corporates without good relocation policies.

My short plan is:
- Leave at 10pm at night (after having rested/slept 5 hours in evening) for Himmatnagar. I am aiming to reach there in ~12 hours. If I need to work that day (30% chance), I will stay the day at the Hotel Landmark - rest a bit, take a few calls, do some work etc.
- Leave at 2/3am from Himmatnagar (so as to have zero traffic around AHD) - push hard so that I can reach Belgaum by 7pm or so.
- Leave at 3/4am again to reach Chennai (Thiruvanmiyur) hopefully by 5pm.

I will be the sole occupant / driver and will have a whole pile of household stuff to move as well. My concerns - what areas to be careful of? (e.g Bharuch bridge) Any places that have been flooded? Any other areas that need to be timed well?

Please advise - I do have HVK's log books for the route so I know the basics - need up to date information to pace myself right (esp if I need to work on the 9th).
Old 31st July 2013, 07:21   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
My short plan is:
- Leave at 10pm at night (after having rested/slept 5 hours in evening) for Himmatnagar. I am aiming to reach there in ~12 hours. If I need to work that day (30% chance), I will stay the day at the Hotel Landmark - rest a bit, take a few calls, do some work etc.
- Leave at 2/3am from Himmatnagar (so as to have zero traffic around AHD) - push hard so that I can reach Belgaum by 7pm or so.
- Leave at 3/4am again to reach Chennai (Thiruvanmiyur) hopefully by 5pm.
Why take the 2800kms route all along the GQ?? Why not go straight down along the N-S corridor??

Delhi-Agra-Gwalior-Nagpur-Hyderabad-Vijayawada-Chennai route should save you 500+kms for sure. Not to mention this route is likely to have considerably less traffic.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 17:24   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Why take the 2800kms route all along the GQ?? Why not go straight down along the N-S corridor??

Delhi-Agra-Gwalior-Nagpur-Hyderabad-Vijayawada-Chennai route should save you 500+kms for sure. Not to mention this route is likely to have considerably less traffic.
What is the condition of the road currently? (esp due to the rains between gwalior and nagpur). I am worried that there may be issues due to the whole Telengana issue
Old 31st July 2013, 17:52   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the condition of the road currently? (esp due to the rains between gwalior and nagpur). I am worried that there may be issues due to the whole Telengana issue
I dont have personal experience on the route. But according to NHAI monthly reports, which I have found to be pretty accurate, most of the NS corridor is actually complete.

There are couple of stretches which are incomplete, but none more than 50km long independently, and no more than a couple hundred kms of roads with diversions. Upto Agra you can use the Yamuna expressway, and after Hyderabad the road is fully complete. Though between Vijawada and Chennai there are diversions for 6-laning work, just like there are on many stretches between Mumbai and Chennai.

Overall, I think the reduced distance coupled with far less traffic will significantly reduce travel time, despite some incomplete stretches.

As for Telangana issue, I dont have any idea regarding what problems that could cause for highway riders.
Old 31st July 2013, 18:06   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Very true. It makes sense to go via Mumbai/Pune. Rather than NS corridor. With sensitive situation around AP and bad roads north of Jhansi, its makes sense to take the GQ.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 18:46   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Very true. It makes sense to go via Mumbai/Pune. Rather than NS corridor. With sensitive situation around AP and bad roads north of Jhansi, its makes sense to take the GQ.
The bad roads north of Jhansi are only about 20kms, which in my view pales when you have a 2000+km ride. Especially if 20kms of bad roads can save you from 500+kms of extra driving.

But on the other hand, I just read reports regarding bandhs, and highway blockades in parts of AP.

Another small detour I may suggest, though I am not sure how much of an advantage it will provide.

http://goo.gl/maps/6YadA
Old 31st July 2013, 20:51   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please avoid totally.
Gwalior-Jhansi is in very bad condition.
From Seoni onwards towards Nagpur, there are bad sections.
Travelling through AGra city is one of the worst ordeals one can inflict on yourself.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 20:55   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Travelling through AGra city is one of the worst ordeals one can inflict on yourself.

+1 for bringing that out. If one is taking the e-way to Agra, getting back to the city and taking road to Gwalior means one has to crawl through the length and breadth of Agra city. Thats a big-big pain.

Last edited by ampere : 31st July 2013 at 21:17.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 21:07   #56
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, thanks to both of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Quote:
I dont have personal experience on the route. But according to NHAI monthly reports, which I have found to be pretty accurate, most of the NS corridor is actually complete.

There are couple of stretches which are incomplete, but none more than 50km long independently, and no more than a couple hundred kms of roads with diversions. Upto Agra you can use the Yamuna expressway, and after Hyderabad the road is fully complete. Though between Vijawada and Chennai there are diversions for 6-laning work, just like there are on many stretches between Mumbai and Chennai.

Overall, I think the reduced distance coupled with far less traffic will significantly reduce travel time, despite some incomplete stretches.

As for Telangana issue, I dont have any idea regarding what problems that could cause for highway riders.
Here's the deal - I have three days and nothing more. I have a flight to catch just after midnight on Sunday - i.e the wee hours of Monday morning. My worry is that if there are bad stretches - unlike bikes which can barrel through many worse areas, cars can get bogged down. Ditto for Telangana. The Western side will need about 8 hours longer, but there's (hopefully) less major surprises.

What say?

EDIT: Thanks juluP - I will stick to the traditional route. Won't do anything out of the regular - this has to be a high speed safe drive with the clock ticking. I cruise at 90-100 mostly, and won't take too many breaks. Predictability for a couple of hours more effort. I have driven through the night into Agra etc - I can pass most of those areas in the night, but no way will I drive solo into the chambal ghati at 2am at night.

Now HVk saab has also said, so chucked this route practically (even though it saves 25% distance!)

Last edited by phamilyman : 31st July 2013 at 21:21.
Old 31st July 2013, 21:26   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please avoid totally.
Gwalior-Jhansi is in very bad condition.
From Seoni onwards towards Nagpur, there are bad sections.
One way to avoid both Agra city and the 30 odd kms of unfinished Gwalior-Jhansi sector of the NS corridor which is in pretty bad shape would be to take the GQ towards Kanpur after the Yamuna Expressway, and then come down towards Jhansi using the EW corridor. Link : http://goo.gl/maps/AQQPX

Despite the 150 odd extra kilometers, extra time may be less than 1hour.

Quote:
EDIT: Thanks juluP - I will stick to the traditional route. Won't do anything out of the regular - this has to be a high speed safe drive with the clock ticking. I cruise at 90-100 mostly, and won't take too many breaks. Predictability for a couple of hours more effort. I have driven through the night into Agra etc - I can pass most of those areas in the night, but no way will I drive solo into the chambal ghati at 2am at night.
Your welcome.

Is the Chambal Ghati still that big a deal in terms of safety??
julupani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 21:38   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have never heard of or faced any problems in Chambal, having driven through the night way back in the year 1998 when it was a 1-lane road, not the 4-lane it is today. The so-called Chambal stretch is the Dholpur-Morena-Gwalior sector
Old 1st August 2013, 04:32   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One way to avoid both Agra city and the 30 odd kms of unfinished Gwalior-Jhansi sector of the NS corridor which is in pretty bad shape would be to take the GQ towards Kanpur after the Yamuna Expressway, and then come down towards Jhansi using the EW corridor. Link : http://goo.gl/maps/AQQPX

Despite the 150 odd extra kilometers, extra time may be less than 1hour.

Your welcome.

Thanks -interesting idea, quite tempting. Actually in nov 2011 I found it manageable but I am afraid of the status post the rains (which are heavier in those parts!!)

Quote:
I have never heard of or faced any problems in Chambal, having driven through the night way back in the year 1998 when it was a 1-lane road, not the 4-lane it is today. The so-called Chambal stretch is the Dholpur-Morena-Gwalior sector
Sir, aap mahapurush hi nahi, literally loh-purush ho

Okay - it is not UNSAFE as in the machalia ghat on Jhabua-Indore route but yes, it had fairly little traffic and could get a bit desolate.

Second question - the car is 1L km old. For peace of mind, is there an enhanced toolkit for old vehicles on such looong drives? I am thinking of a can of coolant besides the regular toolkit and hydraulic jack that I carry.

The other thing appealing about the other route is the options in terms of airports - I have many options to bail at specific locations (if there's mechanical trouble) and catch a flight to Chennai. Not so sure about the Jhansi route on that account in terms of options etc.

Last edited by phamilyman : 1st August 2013 at 04:33.
Old 1st August 2013, 09:01   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks -interesting idea, quite tempting. Actually in nov 2011 I found it manageable but I am afraid of the status post the rains (which are heavier in those parts!!)

Sir, aap mahapurush hi nahi, literally loh-purush ho

Okay - it is not UNSAFE as in the machalia ghat on Jhabua-Indore route but yes, it had fairly little traffic and could get a bit desolate.

Second question - the car is 1L km old. For peace of mind, is there an enhanced toolkit for old vehicles on such looong drives? I am thinking of a can of coolant besides the regular toolkit and hydraulic jack that I carry.

The other thing appealing about the other route is the options in terms of airports - I have many options to bail at specific locations (if there's mechanical trouble) and catch a flight to Chennai. Not so sure about the Jhansi route on that account in terms of options etc.
Nowadays the NS Corridor has lots of truck traffic - and especially NH3 between AGra & Gwalior - at all time of day & night, but do not expect to see any other cars or personal traffic, especially at night.

New or old, all cars should carry certain essential tools & accessories - like a tool kit, tyre tube (even for tubeless tyres), brake oil, engine oil, coolant, hydraulic jack, cross spanner, fuses, etc.

If you are looking at Plan B, then the NS Corridor has airports - with regular & frequent commercial flights - only at Nagpur throughout the route. On the other hand the Nh8-NH4 route has airports at Jaipur, Udaipur, Ahmedabad, Baroda, Bombay, Pune & Bangalore

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks