Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2010, 09:51   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Though no one has enquired, hopefully it will help someone - one can rent bikes in Madikeri to see the spots around. I had taken from a place called The Guide (check with your hotel, and tourist agencies around in Madikeri); and I saw other signs for bike rentals (no Bullets though, only 100 cc bikes for Rs. 500 deposit and Rs. 300 rental per day (negotiable)).

Its a beautiful place, especially in these months.

That is a very useful info there. Thanks for sharing!
The other place I know which has the same is Goa.
Old 22nd August 2010, 12:16   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
I had been to Coorg this July. The KSRTC Volvo in the night is good option if you are staying in Madikeri; if you are staying in any of the resorts/homestays outside of Madikeri then please ask them for a pick-up as this bus reaches very early in the morning (4 am) and Madikeri is dark and dead at that time. Or take a morning bus, its barely 6 hours from Bangalore. The Volvos are a fairly comfortable option.

Though no one has enquired, hopefully it will help someone - one can rent bikes in Madikeri to see the spots around. I had taken from a place called The Guide (check with your hotel, and tourist agencies around in Madikeri); and I saw other signs for bike rentals (no Bullets though, only 100 cc bikes for Rs. 500 deposit and Rs. 300 rental per day (negotiable)).

Its a beautiful place, especially in these months.
Bike rental is available but very few people actually know that.And as you mentioned, its only small bikes that are available. No heavy bikes. It is indeed a beautiful place to visit during all times, more so during the rains.
Old 22nd August 2010, 13:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

@Prince: I stay in south coorg and it aint raining here. Guess you have taken all our rains

Route to Ponnampet from Siddapur: Siddapur town take a left to pollibetta(Near siddapur convent)- Pollibetta - Gonikoppa-Ponnampet

The ammathi route is not in great condition and i had taken the above mentioned route a month back and the roads are in good condition.

Pollibetta-Gonikoppa route is narrow so be careful as lots of KSRTC buses roam the streets like they own it.

For south coorg or kakkabe please take a deviation to Gonikoppa from Hunsur. From gonikoppa- virajpet- take a left from the british style bridge- kakkabe
Old 23rd August 2010, 15:04   #34
BANNED

Don't have any idea about this place as of now and wanted to plan a trip in September.

Requirements:-

1.A Calm Place to relax with Family with reasonable budget ( Can some body tell me the Homestay rates for 2 nights)

2. Route i can take, and point of interests . I wanted to know the order list of places to be visited to make use of the time spending there.

3. At present looking accommodation for 5 Adults and a Kid (2 Family) but it may increase to 2 more adults (one more family hoping to join)

4. Planing to come by car , an i20 (Petrol) and or may be along with Linea/Dezire (Diesel) incase count increases.

Please provide your valuable inputs to make this trip happen.
Old 24th August 2010, 13:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Don't have any idea about this place as of now and wanted to plan a trip in September.

Requirements:-

1.A Calm Place to relax with Family with reasonable budget ( Can some body tell me the Homestay rates for 2 nights)

2. Route i can take, and point of interests . I wanted to know the order list of places to be visited to make use of the time spending there.

3. At present looking accommodation for 5 Adults and a Kid (2 Family) but it may increase to 2 more adults (one more family hoping to join)

4. Planing to come by car , an i20 (Petrol) and or may be along with Linea/Dezire (Diesel) incase count increases.

Please provide your valuable inputs to make this trip happen.
Choose a coffee plantation or any other place/homestay that is ideally not in town. Coffee plantations provide a very relaxed feeling. You can get homestay accommodation for a couple from Rs 1500 going upto even Rs 5000/day.

Route could be Bangalore - Srirangpatna - Yelwal - Hunsur- Kushalnagar -Madikeri ( if you stay in and around madikeri ).

If you plan to stay in South Coorg the you can divert from Hunsur - Gonikoppal -Virajpet an then proceed further depending on where you have booked.

My suggestion is to stay around madikeri since it acts as a central point when you plan to go sightseeing. Staying in south coorg takes lots of time in terms or traveling for sightseeing.

Sightseeing can be classified into:

-> Kushalnagar (Goldem temple, Harangi dam, cauvery nisarghdhama and then Dubare Elephant camp/island )

> Madikeri ( Raja's seat, Omkareshwara temple,gaddige,fort, abbey falls )

->Talacauvery and Bhagamandala, along with Nalknad Palace, padi iguthappa temple,chelavara falls.

-> Irupu falls and Nagarhole.

There are other places like malahalli falls, choma kund,tadiandamol etc etc.

Let me know if you need help with anything like places to eat, to stay,modes of travel etc.

Regards,
Zahed
Old 21st April 2014, 08:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help on : Coorg/Madikeri

My wife is planning (us and our two children - 9 and 3 years old) a weekend getaway at a resort in Kushalnagar, in May.

- Is it an appropriate time to visit Coorg? I don't want the entire weekend washed out by rains or spent in burning sun. :-(

As for the route, Google suggests these two:

1. via Mysore Road, KRS Road, Hunsur, Kushalnagar (246 km)
2. via NH 48, Holenarsipura, Arakalagud, Ramanathapura, Kushalnagar (259 km)

I will be driving my Civic (low gc etc.) so would prefer to avoid bad roads and speedbreakers. Which route is better in that case? The trip would be outbound on a Saturday morning and return on a Monday afternoon. Food is also a concern, especially on the return leg.

Also, is the Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore section drivable? If yes, I might want to take NH 209, this route, Mysore ORR, Hunsur (261 km). In which case a visit to Mysore Zoo could also be scheduled.
Old 21st April 2014, 09:01   #37
Team-BHP Support

Re: Help on : Coorg/Madikeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
- Is it an appropriate time to visit Coorg? I don't want the entire weekend washed out by rains or spent in burning sun. :-(
No rains as of now. And its definitely hot. It may be a bit green but surely hot. I had been last year at Mar End. Then itself it was kind of getting really hot. May be would a bit uncomfortable.

Last edited by ampere : 21st April 2014 at 09:19.

Most Viewed