Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2007, 14:27   #1
BHPian

Help on : Coorg/Madikeri

Hi,
I was looking at visiting Coorg (Kodagu valley to be precise) next month. I wanted some info regarding the same...

1.) I have heard KSRTC volvos run on this route. But timings? From Blore bus stand... their online site doesnt have anything on this route.
2.) If not Volvos, how good or bad are the Rajahamsa buses of KSRTC? What about KPN volvo?
2.) Is the place better in Aug or in Sep
3.) Any one been to Club Mahindra Kodagu Valley resort?
4.) Are bikes available on hire there?

Thanks in advance
Old 13th July 2007, 15:47   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Hi,
I was looking at visiting Coorg (Kodagu valley to be precise) next month. I wanted some info regarding the same...

1.) I have heard KSRTC volvos run on this route. But timings? From Blore bus stand... their online site doesnt have anything on this route.
2.) If not Volvos, how good or bad are the Rajahamsa buses of KSRTC? What about KPN volvo?
2.) Is the place better in Aug or in Sep
3.) Any one been to Club Mahindra Kodagu Valley resort?
4.) Are bikes available on hire there?

Thanks in advance
1.Check the timings of Bangalore-Mangalore Volvos via Madikeri.
2.Rajahamsas ar OK...since the road from Bangalore all the way to Periyapatna is good,you'll be on bad roads only the last 40 km..but nothing like the volvos.
3.Sept is my choice as the rains would have subsided,but pls do check the weather conditions before leaving.
4.Club Mahindra is a very good place.
5.I have no clue about bike rentals,sorry.

Chandan
Old 13th July 2007, 16:01   #3

Bunny!

Was wondering... if you are starting out from Bangalore... why not drive down? The roads are really beautiful - baby butt smooth till you get off the Bangalore Mysore road after which it narrows down but the scenary more than makes up for it! Im not too sure if you get bikes for hire up there - another reason for you to take your own set of wheels to get there!
Have heard that the club mahindra experience is really good - simply enjoy maadi!
Are you planning a trek of somethin? there are some nice place you could trek to, including the highest peak in the range "Dhadiyandamole" its simply awesome.!
Old 13th July 2007, 16:22   #4
BHPian

people in coorg are saying that they have not seen it rain like this for a long time now. its raining really heavy right now and i think it will continue to do so for the next month also. its better u go in October.
Old 13th July 2007, 16:25   #5
BHPian

Thanks fellas
Im takin a long fornight off from work (mumbai) n headin home (delhi) in sep. there on i wish to fly to blore, and take a volvo to Madikeri n stay in the club mahindra property (m a member..) and then take a volvo back to blore and then to Mumbai.... n join back office! Thats the scene..

yeah rains..!! Hope they slow down by sep

Again, thanks a lot guys
Old 19th September 2007, 13:52   #6
BHPian

Updates:
Bookings for 30thsep and 1st oct made at the Club Mahindra Resort.
Problem is how to get there. Im in Mumbai, and my wife is studyin MDS from Davanagere (730km from Mumbai, around 260km from Blore)

28th sep: will be taking an overnight volvo to Davanagere (~730km)
29th sep: Will be taking an overnight 2*2 bus to Blore - No Volvos available.
30th sep: will take the 7am KSRTC Volvo to Madikeri/Mercara. Arrive at 1pm
30th sep and 1st oct: In Madikeri
2nd Oct: 9am KSRTC Rajhamsa Executive to Blore. Arrive by 3:30pm
2nd oct: Take the 4pm VRL Volvo to DVG, from where I continue for Mumbai.

Wanted some help from Blore guys: How much would it cost to hire a car from Blore on self drive basis for 3 days? Secondly, are warm clothes really required in those days?
Old 19th September 2007, 13:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Bunny hiring a car from bangy wouldnt be a good idea. I rather suggest that you hire a jeep in Coorg.

Its been raining on and off and hence hiring a jeep there would make more sense.

edit : Warm clothes arent really needed, carry a Windcheater with you. Just in case you have planned for a trek, buy rubber boots from Madikeri town. Costs about 300/- bucks a pair.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 19th September 2007 at 13:58.
Old 19th September 2007, 14:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Just in case, I checked long ago... a self drive santro/indica or so costs around 1400 bucks a day + cost of petrol.
Old 19th September 2007, 14:11   #9
BHPian

rjstyles: renting a jeep sounds great. But are you sure jeep rentals are there in Madikeri? Yeah, boots. thanks for the tips
reignofchaos: Seems expensive. that would be around 4500 plus fuel = 6500-7000!
Old 19th September 2007, 14:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Bunny yeah you can hire jeeps there with drivers .

It really doesnt make sense in you hiring a car right from bangy and then not being able to use the car on terrains which are accessible only by a jeep.

Read Nip's and my travelogue about our coorg trips. Should give you a fair idea where you need to be looking for some un-adulterated adventure.
Old 14th October 2009, 15:07   #11

Need guidance to travel from Harihar to Madikeri

Hello Team,

I would like to travel from Harihar to Madikeri by bus!! I would like to know how is the frequency of both state owned and private buses. Are there any available early morning, say Sevenish! I will be traveling to Harihar from Hyderabad.

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th October 2009 at 15:13. Reason: Please use Search and continue in an existing thread, Thanks
Old 14th October 2009, 16:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

No idea if there is a direct bus, but may be a better idea to go to Mysore and switch buses there.
Old 14th October 2009, 16:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taita, Magus View Post
Hello Team,

I would like to travel from Harihar to Madikeri by bus!! I would like to know how is the frequency of both state owned and private buses. Are there any available early morning, say Sevenish! I will be traveling to Harihar from Hyderabad.

According to the KSRTC (State govt) website, there is only one bus which plies on that route to Madikeri. It is the Hubli - Madikeri bus. I'm not sure if it crosses Harihar, but it passes through Shimoga, an hour's journey from Harihar.

This bus departs from Shimoga at 9.15 pm and from what I've seen of this bus, it is always crowded (it also passes through Hassan, my hometown).

As far as private buses are concerned, I do not think there are any direct buses to Madikeri from Shimoga/Harihar/Davanagere.

I'd suggest you to travel to Mysore via Shimoga and then catch a bus from there to Madikeri.
Old 19th October 2009, 11:35   #14

Thank You Addy

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
According to the KSRTC (State govt) website, there is only one bus which plies on that route to Madikeri. It is the Hubli - Madikeri bus. I'm not sure if it crosses Harihar, but it passes through Shimoga, an hour's journey from Harihar.

This bus departs from Shimoga at 9.15 pm and from what I've seen of this bus, it is always crowded (it also passes through Hassan, my hometown).

As far as private buses are concerned, I do not think there are any direct buses to Madikeri from Shimoga/Harihar/Davanagere.

I'd suggest you to travel to Mysore via Shimoga and then catch a bus from there to Madikeri.
I have found out there is one KSRTC Airavatha from Hyderabad to Mysore - I think we will take that it, starts by 6.00pm reaches Mysore by 7.00am should be convenient enough. Thank you once again!
Old 16th August 2010, 13:08   #15
BHPian

I am planning a trip to Coorg in September. This thread and rjstyles69's travellogue proved usefull.

I am looking for options for Taxi between Bagalore & Coorg. I asked Club Mahindra travel and they have quoted Rs 8500 (Innova) for a one way drop to Coorg from Bangalore. This is because the taxi also charges return fare.
For those in Bangalore, are you aware of a regular taxi operator between Bangalore & Coorg who charges less than that.

If nothing works then I am planning to book the KSRTC Volvo through their online booking site. Has anyone tried their online booking? Is this as good as the train booking? Also, does KSRTC operate a good service on this route?
Alternatively, are there any private Volvo buses on this route?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks