Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2023, 16:50   #1
BHPian

Road trip advice | Burdwan, WB to Solapur, MH

Hey TBHP,

Help me out if you can, with two things mainly; but before we go there, here’s some context. Am planning a solo road trip from Burdwan, WB to Solapur, MH in a 2021 Mahindra Thar, Hard Top, Diesel AT that has about 20k Kms on the clock so far. I (M40’s) am relatively new to India (been here for a bit lately but not much road tripping experience except one from Ahmedbad to Calcutta a year ago) and looking for help in two areas:
  1. Route planning; and
  2. Maybe someone would wanna ride with me? (I know this one is a long shot but hear me out )

Road Trip: From Burdwan, WB to Solapur, MH

So, with the route planning, Google maps suggests three main routes as listed below. The third one, R3 goes up to Varanasi then heads down south to Nagpur, to essentially become R1 thereafter. Following are some details on the R1 and R2 options. I am not keen on R3 because I have done sections of it.

Route 1 (R1): Via Mumbai-Kolkata Hwy Total Distance 1820 Kms

Burdwan, WB - Kharagpur, WB on NH116A for ~130 Kms
Kharagpur, WB - Nagpur, MH on NH49 & NH53 Mumbai-Kolkata Hw for ~990 Kms
Nagpur, MH - Jalna, MH on Samruddhi Mahamarg for ~530 Kms
Jalna, MH - Solapur, MH on NH52 for ~170 Kms

R1 Major Towns/Cities: Sambalpur, OD; Raipur, CG; Nagpur, MH; Jalna, MH

Route 2 (R2): Via Chennai-Kolkata Hwy Total Distance 1830 Kms

Burdwan, WB - Midnapore, WB on NH116A for ~130 Kms
Midnapore, WB - Vijaywada, AP on NH16 for ~ 1100 Kms
Vijaywada, AP - Solapur, MH on NH65 for ~ 600 Kms

R2 Major Towns/Cities: Bhubaneswar, OD; Brahmapur, OD; Visakapatnam, AP; Vijaywada, AP; Hyderabad, TS

Route considerations/planning: I am looking for suggestions on R1 vs R2 routes, and maybe any potential variations of either based on the following preferences/guidelines:
  1. I’d prefer to drive during day light hours. So if we roughly break down 1800 Kms it become a 3 day 2 nights trip with approximately 600kms of driving each day. That is the minimum its going to take.
  2. If I have to go out of my way and spend another extra night, or two, and a few hundred kms on the road to avoid crappy roads or heavy traffic, I am up for it. I would prefer to stick to major highways and avoid back roads as much as possible.
  3. A big area am gonna need help in is planning my stays (at safe and decent hotels). If there are touristy destinations on the way (or a little outta the way for that matter), I am open to take detours.
  4. I’d be hauling quite some luggage in the back of the Thar (seats folded down) so overnight stays need to be at properties where there is adequate safe parking (meaning, not on the streets).

Travel companion: I know this is long shot but, like they say, you miss all that you don’t take LOL… so here’s some details if anyone is interested:
  1. It would be nice if I can find a travel companion/co-driver who likes road trips, is an experienced and responsible driver (<100kmph), doesn’t drink/smoke (at least while driving), and the usual basic human decency stuff…you know.
  2. I don’t have a set date yet except that I can only start on or after April 1st… and am flexible with the dates if it helps with your plans.
  3. I will be starting from Burdwan, WB but if your destination is say Pune, Aurangabad, Hyderabad, or someplace along and/or within a reasonable vicinity, we can change the route accordingly.
  4. Needless to say, I will be paying for everything except for any (obviously unreasonable) personal expenses that you may incur.
  5. You will be required to share a valid drivers license and an alternate photo ID (with proof of residence) and will be entitled for the same from me (I mean that goes without saying).
  6. Ideally it’d be great if we can meet up in person at least once before [if] we hit the road, else phone conversation is fine too.

My back up plan is to have a friend fly in from Pune who’s agreed to ride with me but I know its not the most ideal time for him. Or is it possible to plan a route such that I can really wing it solo by only doing 3-4 hundred kms a day and/or take more halts along the way? Time/money aren't a constraint; a safe and enjoyable road trip is the objective here. What say you guys?

Thanks
fjcruiser08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 17:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Road trip advice | Burdwan, WB to Solapur, MH

Regarding your route. R1 is the best. Continue on Samruddhi through Aurangabad and drive Aurangabad-Solapur, rather than exiting at Jalna.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 21:33   #3
BHPian

I suggest you go through this thread where everything is detailed :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5442476 (Pune to Kolkata and Back)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5443076 (Pune to Kolkata and Back)

I personally do R2, although many friends do R1 which is equally good. Its all about which roads and locations you are comfortable driving at.

Why do you want some stranger to accompany you ? It may do more harm than good. I drive between Pune - Bangalore - Kolkata alone most of the times.

1N halt is enough for WB - MH, unless time & money is not a factor for you. With family multiple halts may be ok.

You may contact Bhpian Blooming Flower who has multiple expeerience driving his Thar from Kolkata to Mumbai in both R1 & R2 routes.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ndakphu-2.html (North Bengal Reloaded: A Melded Tale of Sandakphu)

Multiple options to stay is present in any of the major locations which you cross. I normally take the halt at Vijayawada, on any random hotel on the highway, like this one last time:

Road trip advice |  Burdwan, WB to Solapur, MH-20220528_214918.jpg

Road trip advice |  Burdwan, WB to Solapur, MH-20220528_215230.jpg

Road trip advice |  Burdwan, WB to Solapur, MH-20220528_214551.jpg

Road trip advice |  Burdwan, WB to Solapur, MH-20220528_213510.jpg
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 21:38   #4
BHPian

Just my 2 paisa worth thoughts...

Relatively new to India would mean you might not be Indian. No major reason for pointing it out except for the fact that R1 will go through naxal infested areas. Not the area you want to be in when driving solo. While I know that the risk is low for individuals and private people, but it would be far better to use the route R3, if you were inclined to use the R1 route.

But the best route would be along the sea, R2, as you will be travelling in April, so temperatures would be high in central India. It is also scenic and affords multiple stopping points for exploring and sightseeing.
kosjam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 17:45   #5
BHPian

Re: Road trip advice | Burdwan, WB to Solapur, MH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
Hey TBHP,

Help me out if you can, with two things mainly...
If I had plenty of time and money, I'd volunteer to accompany you on R1 as that's a circuit I'd like to do, although driving my own car, and taking care of my own expenses. Since I don't and I have my own share of apprehension of driving long distances solo (on the return leg), and you're probably looking for sharing the driving duty, that wish would be moot.

So, instead, I'd try to describe how I usually go about prepping for long trips (completed and aborted) as my considerations are similar to yours - avoid crappy roads, heavy traffic, decent and safe rest stops, driving during the day light hours.

Roadtrips in India can be pleasurable and frustrating in equal measures (I'm sure you already know that despite not being in India for long) due to all kinds of surprises our road and allied conditions throw up. Often, depending on which part of the country you are in and which time of the year. Detailed planning has worked out favorably for me.

I start with a 'virtual trip' of sorts - GMap, satellite view, zoom in and follow sections of the route. Along with, recently published roadtrip vlogs (despite questionable production values) on YouTube. Gives a decent idea of ongoing/recent roadwork, roads suddenly narrowing, villages/towns encroaching on to the sides of the roads, junction and cross roads, tolls, two lane bridges and/or underpasses. These would be indicators of bottlenecks. Also gives a general idea of quality and frequency of fuel/rest stop availability. Density of these bottlenecks is a good indicator of how much distance I'm likely to cover in say 12 to 13 hours (roughly, 5am to 6pm) of drive a day (rather than what distance I'd cover). Find a biggish town/city in this range, then a hotel on the outskirts of the said settlement. This also helps in a sense that you get more resort-like options, than say dodgy OYOs in the center of the town. GMaps on sat mode zoomed in gives an idea of dedicated parking areas. Now, if a certain section is bad, I might cover 450kms in a day, and then in another I might easily cover 750kms. Case in point: if R2 is selected, the WB/OD leg would/could be a pain, but the AP/TS section (mostly) would be smooth sailing. Some sections would be great even to drive at night (actually, especially at night).

Finally, I'd watch out for the weather, cyclones et al. Especially on R2, with extensive sections in the coastal belt.

Not sure if this helps, at all. Either way, drive safe, and happy touring!
Mr.Fawlty is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 13:16   #6
BHPian

I can't speak for R1, but I've done R2 upto Vijaywada. In fact, I did the Burdwan - Bhubaneswar stretch just a week ago.

Road conditions are like this:
- In Bengal, no toll except at the borders. The roads are good, by and large, and where there are diversions due to ongoing work, the diversions are tarred. Look out for stray cattle and poultry, and vehicles driving on the wrong side.
- In Odisha, the diversions are not tarred; they're bone rattling. Cattle presence increases. Again, road is by and large good.
- In Andhra and Telangan: excellent roads.

You've not mentioned where all you'd like to break for the night, but here are some suggestions (based on personal experience)m
- Bhubaneswar: Odisha Tourism's Pathanivas. The rooms are nothing to write home about, the service is apathetic, but their parking is within the compound wall and it's a govt property, so your Thar should be safe.
- Bhubaneswar: Hotel Swosti Grand. Good rooms, good food, good location (practically next door to a police station too) but AFAIK, their parking is on the curbside. You might maybe want to call them up and ask if there's a separate closed parking for overnight guests. Even the curbside parking should be safe, though, coz Bhubaneswarisn't exactly a crime-infested city.
- Vishakhapatnam: Novotel. Excellent underground parking. Sea-facing rooms.
- Vijaywada: RedFox. Is in a small lane off the main road, and their parking is a gated enclosure across the hotel.
- Hyderabad: Any of the several chain hotels in the Madhapur-Gachhiboli area should be good, since they all have basement parking. There's Lemon Tree, Red Fox, Radisson, all within a 3 km radius of the Outer Ring Road (ORR)

Hooe this helps, and enjoy your trip

Last edited by A_Basu : 25th March 2023 at 13:20. Reason: Hyderabad hotels
A_Basu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 22:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Regarding your route. R1 is the best. Continue on Samruddhi through Aurangabad and drive Aurangabad-Solapur, rather than exiting at Jalna.
Thank you and apologies for the late response; some health issues had held up my travel plans. Based on feedback here am thinking of taking R2 to avoid central India and in hopes that the summer won't be as brutal heading southbound. But who knows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Why do you want some stranger to accompany you ? It may do more harm than good. I drive between Pune - Bangalore - Kolkata alone most of the times.

1N halt is enough for WB - MH
Thanks for your detailed feedback. Health issues had held up my travel plans. Anyway its back on the table, and the more I think about it the more am inclined to take your advise on winging it solo. BTW, there's no way in hell I can do this entire distance with just a single night of rest.

This may sound stupid, but are hotel reservations in advance necessary for highway joints? Normally I wouldn't venture out without prior reservations but am really not sure how much distance I can cover in a day and where I may end up needing to wind down. The longest I have done in India, in a single stretch, was Pune to Ahmedabad and that almost broke my back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
Relatively new to India would mean you might not be Indian. No major reason for pointing it out except for the fact that R1 will go through naxal infested areas. Not the area you want to be in when driving solo.
Thanks for the feedback. I am Indian and can speak street level Hindi. I know this is not the best time of the year, weather wise, for a road trip but am thinking I'll take the R2 route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fawlty View Post
....Now, if a certain section is bad, I might cover 450kms in a day, and then in another I might easily cover 750kms. Case in point: if R2 is selected, the WB/OD leg would/could be a pain, but the AP/TS section (mostly) would be smooth sailing. Some sections would be great even to drive at night (actually, especially at night).

Finally, I'd watch out for the weather, cyclones et al. Especially on R2, with extensive sections in the coastal belt.

Not sure if this helps, at all. Either way, drive safe, and happy touring!
That's good advice and it certainly helps. In my limited experience driving in India, I have noticed that I average about 50kms for every hour on the road. So, about 12/13 hours of driving am guessing I will be covering about 600ish kms. But, like you said, on the first day I may not make it over 500 on WB/OD roads? I guess I will have to find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Basu View Post

Road conditions are like this:
- In Bengal, no toll except at the borders. The roads are good, by and large, and where there are diversions due to ongoing work, the diversions are tarred. Look out for stray cattle and poultry, and vehicles driving on the wrong side.
- In Odisha, the diversions are not tarred; they're bone rattling. Cattle presence increases. Again, road is by and large good.
- In Andhra and Telangan: excellent roads.

You've not mentioned where all you'd like to break for the night, but here are some suggestions (based on personal experience)m
- Bhubaneswar: Odisha Tourism's Pathanivas. The rooms are nothing to write home about, the service is apathetic, but their parking is within the compound wall and it's a govt property, so your Thar should be safe.
- Bhubaneswar: Hotel Swosti Grand. Good rooms, good food, good location (practically next door to a police station too) but AFAIK, their parking is on the curbside. You might maybe want to call them up and ask if there's a separate closed parking for overnight guests. Even the curbside parking should be safe, though, coz Bhubaneswarisn't exactly a crime-infested city.
- Vishakhapatnam: Novotel. Excellent underground parking. Sea-facing rooms.
- Vijaywada: RedFox. Is in a small lane off the main road, and their parking is a gated enclosure across the hotel.
- Hyderabad: Any of the several chain hotels in the Madhapur-Gachhiboli area should be good, since they all have basement parking. There's Lemon Tree, Red Fox, Radisson, all within a 3 km radius of the Outer Ring Road (ORR)

Hooe this helps, and enjoy your trip
That is immensely helpful advice. Thank you so much. I don't really know, or have a plan in terms of where to halt for nights. That's because I don't know how much distance am going to cover in a day. And I don't know what to expect; I have very limited experience so I don't have much to base things off of. And things are scary in India. Had this been in the US I wouldn't even think twice. Not too long ago a buddy and I made a road trip plan over dinner and we were on the road the next hour - did Atlanta to Detroit that same night and back to ATL the very next night. Things are easy there, no planning needed. Here, am scared shitless of Dankuni when I head down to Calcutta that's barely 100 kms. Anywho...

How long did it take you to hit Bhubaneshwar? Based on the input from others here, am guessing I may only be able to cover about 500ish kms on the first day due to not-so-great road conditions in WB/OD? With that context, what town do you think should I plan my first halt? Further down south, a friend of mine has invited me to stay a couple days at her place in HYD, so that stop is certain. So I was hoping to hit midway (between Burdwan and HYD) on the first day - Gmaps shows a town named Brahmapur, OD, that's 620kms and shows 13.5 hours that looks like somewhat midway. But am not sure if I can pull off 620 kms in one day especially if the roads aren't in good shape.

When I think of this trip, I sometimes get a feeling that am overthinking this...so what if it's my first time? So what if am by myself? Its no big deal; right?....but most other times am honestly just being a chicken about doing this thing by myself LOL
Old 17th April 2023, 14:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:
When I think of this trip, I sometimes get a feeling that am overthinking this...so what if it's my first time? So what if am by myself? Its no big deal; right?....but most other times am honestly just being a chicken about doing this thing by myself LOL
I think your apprehensions are well justified. Plus, there's always some extra satisfaction to be had from a detailed and considered plan executed well.

Back to your plans, the stayover in HYD changes things a bit, I suppose.

Your last leg then in about 320kms, that means you have 1500kms to cover before that. You would definitely need to find an additional day, as 1500kms over two days may not be feasible. You might hear folks doing those kind of distances in two days (even in a day!), but not everyone is made alike. Especially, considering your recent health concerns.

You may want to pass up on Brahmapur, sticking to the major cities. Not only because of the time/distance involved, but stay options may not be to your satisfaction.

Here's how I'd probably do it -
Option 1
Day 1: Burdwan -> Bhubaneswar (450kms, 10.5 hrs, Welcome Hotel by ITC)
Day 2: Bhubaneswar -> Vizag (450kms, 8.5 hrs, Hotel Chandana; note the travel time for same distance between day 1 and 2)
Day 3: Vizag -> HYD (620kms, 11 hrs)
Option 2
Day 1: Burdwan -> Bhubaneswar (450kms, 10.5 hrs, Welcome Hotel by ITC)
Day 2: Bhubaneswar -> Rajahmundry, AP (620kms, 12hrs, La Hospin)
Day 3: Rajahmundry -> HYD (440kms, 8 hrs)

Personally, I've not halted at Rajahmundry, but it's probably a good option between Vizag and Vijayawada.

Please note, I'm not recommending any of these hotels, as such, although I've stayed over at both ITC and Chandana, and enjoyed my stays. I don't like to enter the cities that I stop over at, and try finding stay options along the highway that aren't tacky etc. Options both at Bhubaneswar and Vizag are plentiful.
Mr.Fawlty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 11:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:

How long did it take you to hit Bhubaneshwar? Based on the input from others here, am guessing I may only be able to cover about 500ish kms on the first day due to not-so-great road conditions in WB/OD? With that context, what town do you think should I plan my first halt?
I'd be inclined to not stop at Brahmapur (but only because I have no first-hand knowledge of that place). I am a sedate driver (never touching 3-digit speeds, my average remains in the 50-55 kmh range), I have done Bhubaneswar - Bankura in about 9-10 hrs (and it's about the same distance as Bhubaneswar - Burdwan). So, I'd guess it would take me ~10 hours for Bhubaneswar - Burdwan too.

Dankuni-Kolaghat is a nightmare I did Bhubaneswar - Kolkata twice last year, and this was the most stressful stretch for me.

It took me 8.5 hours from Vizag to Bhubaneswar last year in May. Road conditions have not changed much, I assume, so it'll take you roughly the same time for Bhubaneswar - Vizag, I am thinking. This stretch wouldn't be as hot as the next one.

Same trip last May, Vizag - Vijaywada had taken me 9 hours. But you're not driving to Vijaywada; you're forking from Rajahmundry and driving further on to Hyderabad. This stretch will be very very hot.

If you feel the need for a break, instead of doing Vizag - Hyderabad in one go, you might consider an overnight stop at Rajahmundry, like Mr.Fawlty suggests. Driving solo can get a bit...soporific at times. Why stress yourself out? In one of the other threads, I had seen Manjeera Sarovar being recco-ed as a stopover for Rajahmundry. You can consider that option too, in addition to the other suggestions.

In short, my suggestion is:
  • Day 1: Burdwan - Bhubaneswar
  • Day 2: Bhubaneswar - Vizag
  • Day 3: Vizag - Rajahmundry, or, if you feel up to it, Vizag - Hyderabad
  • Day 4, if halting at Rajahmundry: Rajahmundry - Hyderabad

Quote:

This may sound stupid, but are hotel reservations in advance necessary for highway joints?
I've always booked in advance, but many don't. My only advice would be: don't overthink; have fun. I've done these trips solo in a hatchback; you have a Thar.
A_Basu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 23:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fawlty View Post
You would definitely need to find an additional day, as 1500kms over two days may not be feasible. You might hear folks doing those kind of distances in two days (even in a day!), but not everyone is made alike. Especially, considering your recent health concerns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Basu View Post

If you feel the need for a break, instead of doing Vizag - Hyderabad in one go, you might consider an overnight stop at Rajahmundry, like Mr.Fawlty suggests. Driving solo can get a bit...soporific at times. Why stress yourself out? In one of the other threads, I had seen Manjeera Sarovar being recco-ed as a stopover for Rajahmundry. You can consider that option too, in addition to the other suggestions.

In short, my suggestion is:
  • Day 1: Burdwan - Bhubaneswar
  • Day 2: Bhubaneswar - Vizag
  • Day 3: Vizag - Rajahmundry, or, if you feel up to it, Vizag - Hyderabad
  • Day 4, if halting at Rajahmundry: Rajahmundry - Hyderabad

I've always booked in advance, but many don't. My only advice would be: don't overthink; have fun. I've done these trips solo in a hatchback; you have a Thar.
Wow! That’s some incredibly useful info and helpful guidelines that you both have provided here. Y’all have hit it out of the ballpark with the distances, travel times, and hotel names included, that’s amazing. You both are obviously very knowledgable and experienced. I don’t think I’d ever attempt this solo if it wasn’t for this level of detail input and planning help from you guys and others on this forum.

Y’all are right; am not someone who can do 1500kms in two days, and I shouldn’t push the envelope either, not worth it. Am totally going to take your advise and drop the Brahmapur idea as its unduly aggressive.

I cannot find the town Rajahmundry on Gmaps as it instead puts me in Rajamahendravaram, Andhra Pradesh - am guessing its like the Bombay/Mumbai Calcutta/Kolakata thingy. I think I will keep this Rajahmundry as part of the plan as well just in case if am too tired to handle Vizag -> HYD 620 kms on the third day of the trip, and will also make advance hotel reservations for all overnight stays.

As in:

Day 1: Burdwan -> Bhubaneswar
Day 2: Bhubaneswar -> Vizag
Day 3: Vizag -> Rajahmundry
Day 4: Rajahmundry -> HYD

@A_Basu, your Bangalore to Bhubaneswar travelogue that you linked was an interesting read (and somewhat scary - I have seen that dreaded iPhone-needs-to-cool down screen in the Arizona desert on a couple occasions). Funnily enough, I maybe be hitting the road the same dates you did last year.

Thanks a lot guys for the professional level support with the planning. This is truly awesome! I will keep you guys posted and come back with more questions (which I will most certainly run into as I continue to plan this trip hahaha).

Most Viewed