Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2007, 18:54   #1
BHPian

Regarding Ditching corrupt traffic cops

Hi,
I am a newbie to long drives, especially out of state, and have done so twice only for 500 to 600 km at a stretch. Both the times I was caught by the cops while driving in the other state. Once I neither had a license nor RC book, and the other time I jumped a signal.

This time I want to be very cautious not to get stuck with the cops and dealing with unpleasant memories.

Which documents do I need in order to have a full proof prevention, considering that I will keep originals of the following.

1) RC , permanent license, PUC
2) Insurance Xerox, copies of the toll tax paid

In addition to the above, will have headlights, tail-lights and brakes checked (heard cops can fine us for that too), also I don’t have sun film.

Are there any other ways I may get caught red-handed? Please list them, this time I desperately want to get into a fight with the cops and escape victoriously if in case they trap me.

Also it will be beneficial if anyone provides me the ‘fine’ structure for various traffic rules violations.

Thanks and regards
Sarang

Last edited by Zappo : 16th July 2007 at 19:01. Reason: Proper breaks inserted to make the post readable.
Old 16th July 2007, 19:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforsarang View Post
Which documents do I need in order to have a full proof prevention, considering that I will keep originals of the following.

2) Insurance Xerox, copies of the toll tax paid

In addition to the above, will have headlights, tail-lights and brakes checked (heard cops can fine us for that too), also I don’t have sun film.
In addition to these documents it is a good practice to keep petrol bills /toll receipts. You can produce these to prove that you have come for a visit and not driving an out of state vehicle for a long time. If you are doing late night highway drives ensure that all your lights are working.
Old 16th July 2007, 19:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ensure that the originals are kept in a safe place other than IN the car.

If the car is stolen the thief will also have access to the RC book. I usually keep them at home. According to the rule you have a weeks time to produce the original RC at the station.
Old 16th July 2007, 19:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

And keep ur seat belts buckled.. Some states/city make them mandatory.. Provides additional safety as well during long drives

Once cop caught me for not buckling.. I randomly picked a few cars passing without the drivers buckled up and asked him why isnt he stopping them !! He quickly moved on to other stuff like checking RC etc.
Old 16th July 2007, 19:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Once I neither had a license nor RC book, and the other time I jumped a signal.

Well, don't try jumping the signal again.

PUC, I did not get that, is this same as Emission certificate? (guessing), Otherwise do keep the emission certificate too, some of the cops do check and don't drink and Drive. Drive safe.
Old 16th July 2007, 19:41   #6
BHPian

PUC = Pollution Under Control
Old 17th July 2007, 06:10   #7
BHPian

Keep the original copies of RC and insurance in your luggage (preferably in a day bag), keep the attested copies of RC and insurance in the car along with the PUC certificate.

Also its a good idea to carry spare key of the car in your day pack, that way if you forget your car key inside your car or loose it some how, you will have the spare key.
Old 17th July 2007, 07:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Are there any other ways I may get caught red-handed? Please list them, this time I desperately want to get into a fight with the cops and escape victoriously if in case they trap me.
My experience: Cops usually catch the vehicle when the vehicle has already committed the mistake. In such cases, stopping them will worth the effort. Verifying documents is additional check. 99% I don't think you can win against a cop. But don't commit visible mistakes.
Mistakes which are visible are:
1. Jumping signal.
2. Breaking one-way rule.
3. Doing U-turn where it is not permitted.
4. Entering roads that are not meant for those vehicles (there are couple of roads in Bangalore, which are meant for BMTC & KSRTC only).
5. Parking in No-Parking area.
6. Banging other vehicles, people
7. Outside state registration (carry fuel bills or ID card to prove you are just a visitor).
8. Breaking speed limit.
9. Breaking helmet rule.
(...few I could think off. Please add more...)

Quote:
Also it will be beneficial if anyone provides me the ‘fine’ structure for various traffic rules violations.
For Bangalore, here is the list: :: www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in - Spot Fines ::
Old 17th July 2007, 09:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks and regards
Sarang
Sarang,

DO NOT carry original of your RC, if stolen, the thief will sell it under 24 hours for sure. and a unlucky buyer will see the original RC and believe hes the real owner.

Even Original License is not needed. Keep a Color photocopy of the license laminated just like original. Cops accept this. You dont want to lose the license and run around the RTO for another one.

Apart from them. if dont want to pay them follow msdivy's instructions.
Old 17th July 2007, 09:56   #10
BHPian

Besides all that has been mentioned, dont panic once you are stopped by a cop. your body language is very important. be assertive and don't let them take you for a ride.

if you caught riding a bike, ensure that you take off the keys from ignition before the cops do it.

regards
tifosi.
Old 17th July 2007, 10:21   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
if you caught riding a bike, ensure that you take off the keys from ignition before the cops do it.
A very standard practice followed by cops i have come across, in Bangalore, Hyderabad as well as in Chennai. Be confident, show them the necesary documents, but take off the key before they pounce on you. Once they have the key in their hands, they will literally make you beg for it.
Old 17th July 2007, 10:27   #12
Team-BHP Support

Here are some thread that contain a lot of anwers for you >

1. Lets Know The Law : Motor Vehicles Act

2. What Can Cops Do?

cya
R
Old 17th July 2007, 10:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
A very standard practice followed by cops i have come across, in Bangalore, Hyderabad as well as in Chennai. Be confident, show them the necesary documents, but take off the key before they pounce on you. Once they have the key in their hands, they will literally make you beg for it.
Have been caught a few times, have we ?

I was once (a long time ago) caught by a cop for coming in a one-way ( i never saw any signs, there weren't any) & the first thing the cop did was to pull out the key from my hamara bajaj super. He got the shock of his life when i just scooted since the engine does not cut off when the key is pulled out of a hamara bajaj.
Old 17th July 2007, 10:45   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Have been caught a few times, have we ?
When in Chennai, got caught for looking like a 16 year old riding a geared bike, which wasnt the case. I was 19 then.

In Hyderabad, used to be stopped regularly and asked for docs. Had all of them in order, and they used to always grudgingly let me go.

In Bangalore, got caught once for going against a one-way on my bike. Got stopped many a time for riding an AP registered bike in Karnataka. They were dumbfounded when I showed them the receipt for road tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
He got the shock of his life when i just scooted since the engine does not cut off when the key is pulled out of a hamara bajaj.
Cant blame him for being surprised !!
Old 17th July 2007, 10:57   #15
BHPian

Hehehe very funny @esteem_lover, I have personally experienced this thing (about riding away from cop without keys ) but the vehicle was Honda splendor .... and I tell you.....Traffic cops are the ones with whom a Rider or a Driver desparately wants to WIN....I have only once had the pleasure of emerging Victorious after a debate with the cop and stare at him with a chilling grin.....

Most Viewed