Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2007, 18:48   #1
BHPian

Bangalore to Palghat : Route Queries

Hello team

we guys are planning to go to Palghat for a friends marriage ,what is the best route from Bangalore to Palghat , how are the road conditions?what is the distance from Bangalore to Palghat.

the other question is any good places to see in Palghat,we are planning to go any hill station near by so I think Munnar is quite closest after Neeliyampathy. what is the router from Palghat to Munnar. from munnar we would be heading back to Bangalore. what is the router from bangalore to munnar.

our date of journey is Aug18 . is that the good time to visit?

Thanks in advance
Old 19th July 2007, 18:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Salem/Mettur - Bhavani - Avinasi - Coimbatore - Walayar - Palakkad .

Places I cant think of any around Palakkad other than the dam near Walayar.
Old 19th July 2007, 19:07   #3
BHPian

Guys the route I found in MSN maps says 347 KM

and the route is:

Bangalore -->Channapatna-->Maddur-->Malavalli-->Kollegal-->sentemarahalli-->Chamarajanagar-->satyamangalam-->Annur-->Coimbatore-->Palghat

is this the best road?

from Palghat to Munnar

Palghat-->pollachi-->udumalaipettai-->Munnar distance is 145KM

is that the best road?

Munnar -->Maraiyur-->udumalaipettai-->periyapattai-->palladam-->tirupur-->vijayapuri-->bhavani-->mettur-->Dharmapuri-->Krishnagiri-->Hosur-->Bangalore

distance is 415Km

any other best routes?
Old 19th July 2007, 19:08   #4
BHPian

thanks RJ ..any idea about the distance for the route you have suggested?
Old 19th July 2007, 19:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romyeo4u View Post
Guys the route I found in MSN maps says 347 KM

and the route is:

Bangalore -->Channapatna-->Maddur-->Malavalli-->Kollegal-->sentemarahalli-->Chamarajanagar-->satyamangalam-->Annur-->Coimbatore-->Palghat

is this the best road?
No this is not the best road, this is the shortest in terms of distances...the route which riju told is the fastest and better
In karnataka side the road is not so good but it is better in TN side....if u are interested to take this road take it, probably u can give us an idea about its conditions...

Quote:
from Palghat to Munnar

Palghat-->pollachi-->udumalaipettai-->Munnar distance is 145KM

is that the best road?
ya this is the route to take...make sure u do it early morning, u will enjoy the drive...

Quote:
Munnar -->Maraiyur-->udumalaipettai-->periyapattai-->palladam-->tirupur-->vijayapuri-->bhavani-->mettur-->Dharmapuri-->Krishnagiri-->Hosur-->Bangalore

distance is 415Km

any other best routes?
No dont take Tirupur, u will loose lots of time....
Take the Udumalpet - Dharapuram - Perundurai route (which i have not done personally but heard) otherwise

Udumalpet - Palladam - Avinashi - Perundurai (which might be slightly longer but the route is good).....but pls avoid Tirupur route...

Abhi
Old 19th July 2007, 19:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Check the recent Twin City meet thread you will get a fair idea about the conditions of the road for about 90 km till the Krishnagiri toll plaza.

Exact distance I aint sure, not more than 400 for sure.
Old 19th July 2007, 20:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Return route from Munnar is ideally what Abhi suggested, from Udumalaipet-Dharapuram-Gangayam-Perundurai. Take care, there are lots of turn offs on this road. At Perundurai you will join NH47 from where you can come to Bhavani and take the road to Bangalore (off NH 47) via Mettur and Toppur.

Why Munnar? Why don't you try Top Slip/ Parambikulam - they are gorgeous Western Ghat jungles, great wildlife (elephants and bison) and decent places to stay. From Palakkad, take the road to Pollachi (50 kms, 1 hr), then take the Anamalai road, reaching the Sethumadai Check Post and from there to Top Slip (1 hour from Pollachi). Top Slip is in TN (has lots of accomodation, forest department) and if you go a little further, you cross into Parambikulam (forest dept acco again). You can spend a day at Top Slip/ Parambikulam.
Old 19th July 2007, 21:04   #8
BHPian

has anyone done the route I mentioned from B;lore to palakkad? if not then we might take the route suggested by Rj.

Neeliyampathy. does this place come on way to Munnar? how will be munnar in Aug?

Top Slip/ Parambikulam is it kind of hill station ? and the car in quetion is my SANTRO ..so is it doable in Santro??

In fact I have to travel from Hyd - Bangalore, meet my friends and stay 2 days in B'lore then Palakkad and Munnar then to Bangalore and from tehr to Hyd.
Old 19th July 2007, 21:13   #9
BANNED

You may be better off going to Malampuzha, which has a dam and a water theme park, rather than travel 145 KM to munnar. Munnar is right now mired in demolition of illegal constructions, so Malampuzha, which is only half an hour from Palakkad seems to be a better choice. You can also try Peechi, another dam, off Palakkad - Trichur route.
Old 19th July 2007, 21:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Neeliyampathy. does this place come on way to Munnar? how will be munnar in Aug?

Top Slip/ Parambikulam is it kind of hill station ? and the car in quetion is my SANTRO ..so is it doable in Santro??

Nelliaympathy is a dead end from Palakkad, 75 kms via Kollengode and Nemmara. It is a nice drive and there is one resort there. To go back to Munnar, you will have to return to Palakkad.

Incidentally, to go to Munnar (longer route) from Palakkadu, you can go via Trissur, Chalakudy, Angamali, Perumbavoor and Kothamangalam - 225 kms, compared to the Pollachi-Udumalipet-Maraiyur-Munnar route, 160 kms.

Top Slip is a wild life sanctuary, not very high, your Santro can easily take it.

Kumar
Old 20th July 2007, 00:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore to Coimbatore via Mettur is 385 kms+. Bangalore to Krishnagiri is GQ. After that its NH were four lane work is going on till Salem.

Bangalore->Krishnagiri->Kaveripatnam->Dharmapuri->Thoppur->(take right here towards Mettur, saves 30kms and road 4 laning)->Mecheri->Mettur (there is a bypass just after the Mettur Aluminium factory, or you can go via the town and enjoy the small ghat section and view of the Stanley Reservoir which is almost full now)->Bhavani->Perundurai->Avinashi->Coimbatore. Again Bhavani to coimbatore is being 4 laned now.

The other route is Bangalore->Mysore bypass->Nanjangud->Chamrajnagar->Sathymangalam->Coimbatore.

This is 350kms or lesser I think. Bangalore->Mysore is 4 lane. After that its 2 lane NH. The roads are ok and there is a Ghat section between Chamrajnagar and Sathymangalam. Goes through forest area (once upon a time Veerapan territory) and chances of seeing elephants/bison/deer are there. Even seen leopards late evening. Sathymanagalam to Coimbatore is smooth winding 2 lane NH.

Do not take the kanakapura->kollegal route.

All other routes are the same as various folks have mentioned.
Old 20th July 2007, 09:55   #12
Team-BHP Support

Bangalore (indira nagar) to palghat town, via mettur bhavani is 390 km. Leave early 5-530 is the best time to avoid traffic build up. If you drive relaxed manner it will take 7.5 to 8 hrs including breaks for break fast and some tea or ciggie. Drive with tail on fire and you can make it in 6.5 to 7 hours with break fast and ciggie inside car.
Old 20th July 2007, 10:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hello team

we guys are planning to go to Palghat for a friends marriage ,what is the best route from Bangalore to Palghat , how are the road conditions?what is the distance from Bangalore to Palghat.

the other question is any good places to see in Palghat,we are planning to go any hill station near by so I think Munnar is quite closest after Neeliyampathy. what is the router from Palghat to Munnar. from munnar we would be heading back to Bangalore. what is the router from bangalore to munnar.

our date of journey is Aug18 . is that the good time to visit?

Thanks in advance
Hi,
Between Thoppur to Coimbatore the fastest and best route is,

Thoppur- Mettur-Ammapet- Anthiur-Athani-Sathy- Coimbatore.

Pls avoid the Perundurai-Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch-it is mayhem.

I travelled Chennai- Coimbatore and back last week in my SX-4.
I travelled both the routes hence the observation.

Take care.
Old 20th July 2007, 10:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
what is the router from Palghat to Munnar.
Be aware that it is raining cats 'n' dogs in Idukki district, to which Munnar belongs. Kothamangalam-Adimali-Munnar route is the risky one to take at this time, as landslids are common.
Go, if you like rain
Old 20th July 2007, 18:21   #15
BHPian

Bangalore --> Hosur -->Krishnagiri --> Dharmapuri--> Thoppur-->Mettur-->Ammapet- Anthiur-Athani-Sathy- Coimbatore-->Walayar - Palakkad .

this is the route we have finalised after all the suggestions as of now for Bangalore to Palakkad.

can any one break down the distances and do we need any driving directions , I knw the route till dharmapuri.

Most Viewed