Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Weather in wayand( July end)

I wanted to visit vythiri this weekend(28th, 29th july) but i am hearing news about the rains in northern kerala..

just wanted to know if someone has been there recently(or keeps travelling) about how good/bad the weather is..

Is it a good idea to go there this weekend?
Old 23rd July 2007, 18:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its still raining in Wayanad. Raining cats and dogs now,wouldnt be ideal for travelling.
Old 24th July 2007, 10:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

thanks dude..

changed my mind..going to yercaud now..

wayanad, may be in september...
Old 24th July 2007, 11:25   #4
BHPian

August end or september beginning is the ideal time to go anywhere in Kerala IMHO.
Old 24th July 2007, 11:43   #5
Team-BHP Support

On 1st of June Monsoon breaks in Calicut kerala(approx date). Many people go to the beach to see the omnious coulds gathering. Then it pours and pours
Around 1st of july it starts pouring, and it does not stop till 31st july. It Pours all day all night. If there are university exams happening they switch off the power too so that the candle industry gets benefit.
So if you are the kind of person who wants to go where it pours and pours, go in July. If you would like to have some dry momemts September is a better bet.
Old 24th July 2007, 13:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend tsk's post. September,Oct and Nov are ideal for a visit(Wayanad).
Dec' it get way too cold.

So hold on till mid-august revive this thread and will let you know the conditions.
Old 24th July 2007, 14:05   #7
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm. Rains have decreased past few days, but still is far from over.
Old 8th October 2007, 17:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ok.. I'll revive the thread. How would Wayanad be now? Any suggestions on places to stay. I am still going through other threads. But any suggestions would be welcome.

1. where to stay? Kalpetta/Sultan Battery/Vythiri?

2. How are the tree houses? We plan to stay in one of them for a day and then go on to less pricey lodgings. Any good ones.

3. We are a group of ten? Would we get discounts? Not a must, just wondering.

4. Its a family & bachelors gang. The bachelors want to go into the sancturies for treks to see wildlife.

5. Anything else that we need to know?
Old 8th October 2007, 19:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
1. where to stay? Kalpetta/Sultan Battery/Vythiri?
Vythri --> Kalpetta ---> Sultanbattery (in that order)

Quote:
2. How are the tree houses? We plan to stay in one of them for a day and then go on to less pricey lodgings. Any good ones.
They are fine but expensive as well. PM Samurai for tree house (see his travelogue as well) and Lukeskywalker for Vythri Resort (Vythiri Resort Wayanad - Nature Resorts North Kerala - Eco Hotel India), check the website for prices, you can call them for better deals...

Quote:
3. We are a group of ten? Would we get discounts? Not a must, just wondering.
Pls call them and negotiate...

Quote:
5. Anything else that we need to know?
read the travelogues in tbhp, you can also read my travelogue for places to visit...

Abhi
Old 9th October 2007, 14:31   #10
BHPian

I was in Wayanad last week. Weather was fine, but no guarantee it will be so when you visit!

I stayed in a tree/bamboo house in a tiny village called Tirunelli. No telephone, mobile, electricity etc. I don't know any contact details, I found this place by just driving up to Mananthavadi and a group of locals gathered around to find us the best acco. Great bunch of people there, I mjust say.

Gears,
red-One.
Old 9th October 2007, 17:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
I was in Wayanad last week. Weather was fine, but no guarantee it will be so when you visit!

I stayed in a tree/bamboo house in a tiny village called Tirunelli. No telephone, mobile, electricity etc. I don't know any contact details, I found this place by just driving up to Mananthavadi and a group of locals gathered around to find us the best acco. Great bunch of people there, I mjust say.

Gears,
red-One.
How is the road from Manathavadi to Tirunelli? And are there places to stay there? I presume the Narayana Temple there has some basic choultry? How picturesque is teh route from Manathavadi?
Old 9th October 2007, 17:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

There's supposed to be Pachyderm palace right next to the Tholpetta Wildlife Sanctuary entrance. This is on the Manathavadi route.

I'm planning to take my Civic and from what I heard the road conditions are motorable.
Old 9th October 2007, 18:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There's supposed to be Pachyderm palace right next to the Tholpetta Wildlife Sanctuary entrance. This is on the Manathavadi route.

I'm planning to take my Civic and from what I heard the road conditions are motorable.
Thats Tholpetty my friend .

My suggestion is try to enter from Kutta side.Check for the condition of the roads from Kutta as an option.

So if you enter Wayanad and then drive towards Tholpetty the route would be something like Sultan Battery -- Pulpally--Mananthavaadi-- Tholpetty.
Old 10th October 2007, 16:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
How is the road from Manathavadi to Tirunelli? And are there places to stay there? I presume the Narayana Temple there has some basic choultry? How picturesque is teh route from Manathavadi?
Manathavadi to Tirunelli is just OK, typical 1.5 lane potholed roads. Roads/towns are not well marked so asking for directions are the only way to go. Not very picturesque either, typical kerala countryside.

Accommodation is limited. Temple has an impresive guest house. 2-3 resorts before Tirunelli (Agraharam- expensive cottages run by Manorama group, Tamarind- typical lodge/hotel style run by KTDC). Some usual hotels in Manathavadi but nothing in between. There is supposedly a new resort opening shortly in Kurava island.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 10th October 2007, 16:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Thats Tholpetty my friend .

My suggestion is try to enter from Kutta side.Check for the condition of the roads from Kutta as an option.

So if you enter Wayanad and then drive towards Tholpetty the route would be something like Sultan Battery -- Pulpally--Mananthavaadi-- Tholpetty.
Road to Kutta from Honsur (?), which goes through Nagarhole forest, when coming from Mysore is not in good shape. Kutta to Tholpetty is good.

Gears,
Red-One.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks