Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2009, 18:07   #226
Senior - BHPian

The Soap opera continues....!!! TOI, Blore, 19th Jan 2009

Gowda courts trouble yet again

Continues To Harass NICE Despite Censure By High Court, Apex Court On Five Occasions

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Bangalore: Former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda and his family’s tryst with courts seems to be neverending.
Observations made by the high court on Monday, while converting Gowda’s missive as a PIL, should brace him for yet another encounter with the judiciary. His letter was written to most of the judges, including Chief Justice P D Dinakaran, with regard to the Bangalore-Mysore Infrastructure Corridor Enterprises (BMIC) project.
Over the past five years, the government has been rapped on five occasions by the Supreme Court and Karnataka High Court for creating hurdles for Nandi Infrastructure Corridor Enterprises (NICE), promoters of BMIC. The last was in March 2008, when the SC issued notice to the state government asking it to reply on the contempt petition filed by NICE.

---------------

HC furious over Gowda’s letter

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Bangalore: Former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda’s obsession with alleged irregularities in the BMIC Project reached a new high on Monday when he sent a controversial letter to Karnataka High Court judges airing his views on the issue.
Taken aback by Gowda’s brazen action, the judges discussed it for 45 minutes.
“We received a letter dated January 8 written by the former PM. The letter was enclosed with a booklet ‘BMIC project - A case study in fraud. Collusion to defeat the ends of justice and defraud the courts’. I enquired with judges V G Sabhahit, Ram Mohan Reddy and N K Patil. Almost all judges said they had also received the same letter. We were embarrassed. In my 12-13 years experience, I have not encountered such a situation. Thereafter, we held a meeting to decide on how to proceed with this. We had two options: one to issue a contempt notice and the other to ignore it. We have decided to treat it as PIL. If we had ignored it, then there was a chance that people would have pointed fingers at us. We decided to take it positively and deal with it legally. We don’t allow courts to become platform for politics,” Chief Justice PD Dinakaran said and adjourned hearing pertaining to the Gottigeri land issue to Feb 2.

HORNETS’ NEST

Nobody is above the law: NICE advocate
Bangalore: Dushyant Dave, counsel for Nandi Infrastructure Corridor Enterprise, promoters of BMIC, took exception to Deve Gowda’s letter in the high court on Monday.
The counsel pressed for initiating contempt proceedings. “If an ordinary man had written such a letter, could the judiciary have taken it lightly? This is nothing but interference in the administration of justice. Nobody is special and above law,’’ he said.
Amid all this, advocate-general Udaya Holla told the court he will not represent the state in the BMIC case pertaining to contempt. “The MD of NICE has made certain allegations against me in the media. I have decided not to represent the state in the case and Ashok Haranahalli will be officiating as special counsel,’’ he said. The CJ asked Holla to render assistance to the court whenever necessary.

WHO SENT IT?

Mystery shrouds over who handdelivered the letter and the booklet to the CJ and the judges. A separate inquiry on the carrier of the letter was held by the court.
Advocates’ Association of Bangalore president D L Jagadish said he had not authorized anybody to deliver the letter and booklets to the judges. The staff had said somebody claiming to be Jagadish’s assistant had delivered the letter. State JD(S) spokesperson Y S V Datta admitted Gowda had sent copies of the letter and the booklet. While acknowledging having sent it, Gowda declined to comment: “I will wait for the court’s notice.’’

--------------------------

REPEATED REPRIMANDS, BUT NO LESSONS LEARNED?

The first reprimand was in May 2005 when the Karnataka HC, in its judgment, allowed NICE to go ahead with the BMIC project.
Next came the severe censure when the same order was upheld by the SC on April 20, 2006. Here, it should be noted that SC imposed a fine of Rs 5 lakh on the state for bringing before it frivolous arguments on an appeal against the Karnataka HC verdict upholding the BMIC project. Clearing the Rs 2,250-crore four-lane expressway, it further said: “The entire appeal was with malafide intention”.
The apex court also imposed a penalty of Rs 50,000 on former JD(U) MLA J C Madhuswamy and CPM’s G V Srirama Reddy, who had appealed against the HC verdict.
The most severe censure came when the SC dismissed the government’s review petition seeking review of its April 20 order on BMIC project, and rehearing of the matter. The Kumaraswamy government had contended that NICE had secured 2,150 acres excess land around Bangalore worth over Rs 30,000 crore, which would affect future generations and also result in a loss to the exchequer. However, it was dismissed without being heard in November 2006.
Having been rapped by the courts on several occasions, the Kumaraswamy government took a different route to stall the BMIC project in October 2007. This time, the cabinet decided to drop NICE and invite global tenders to complete the project. The government also short-listed Global Infrastructure Consortium (GIC) to take up the project. However, the plan remained only on paper as even this idea was struck down by the SC in November 2007.
The SC also issued contempt notices against seven bureaucrats for noncompliance of its April 2006 order: former chief secretary P B Mahishi, former PWD principal secretary Sudhir Krishna, former revenue secretary S M Jaamdar, former urban development department secretary Subash Chandra and bureaucrats Rame Gowda, Shashidhar and Mukunda Hemmige.

--------------

In BLACK & WHITE

The five-page letter written on January 8, 2009 by former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda begins explaining why he had to write it and why the JD(S) had to publish the book. Gowda repeatedly hails the judiciary, but expresses concerns about misinterpretation of judgments and involvement of counsels, bureaucrats, businesses and the present government in the alleged fraud. “After the change in government (when JD(S)-BJP collapsed), when the state was under President’s rule and later when a new elected government was formed, the nexus at the bureaucratic and political level has been making attempts at ensuring that the HC and SC are prevented from doing justice,’’ the letter states. Gowda says his character had been painted in black through media for opposing a private contractor.

-----------------------
Old 13th January 2009, 18:51   #227
Team-BHP Support

Guys please be careful while using this road at night.

A colleague of mine while returning from Mysore late night with family, stopped and asked for directions on nice road. He was "misguided" by 2 guys on a parked bike. Later he saw this bike without head lights chasing him and his passengers noticed the guys on the bike were calling others on cell phone.

Sensing danger he managed to take a U turn on the road he was guided to and sped away. Though the bike guys were trying hard to tail, luck was with my friend and somehow he managed to give the slip and find way into civilization, partially helped by the fact that the bike couldnt keep up with the car.

Bike guys had directed my friend to a dark lonely dead end instead of getting back into city.

Dont venture out at late nights if you dont know the directions on NICE road OR atleast get the right directions from the toll guys.
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:23   #228
Senior - BHPian

Adding more useless news on this thread - sorry

TOI, Blore, 22-Jan-2009
------------------------------------------
NICE moves contempt plea against Gowda

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

New Delhi: Frustrated by what it called repeated attempts of former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda to derail the Bangalore-Mysore expressway, the project contractor, Nandi Infrastructure Corridor Enterprises, on Wednesday moved the Supreme Court seeking initiation of contempt proceedings against him.
The infrastructure corridor, being built by NICE, was green-lighted by the apex court in 2006. The SC judgment was peppered with caustic observations against Deve Gowda and his son H D Revanna, who was then public works minister in Karnataka.
NICE,promoted by Ashok Kheny,complained in its petition that despite clearance from the SC, the Karnataka HC entertained a letter from the former PM along with a booklet titled ‘Bangalore-Mysore Infrastructure Corridor Project - A Case Study in Fraud and Collusion to Defeat the End of Justice and Defraud Courts’.
NICE said writing letters to the higher judiciary when the matter stood decided by the apex court was a clear case of contempt. It demanded that ‘necessary action’ be taken against Gowda.
“The approach adopted by the HC is not only not conducive to administration of justice, but clearly affords a fresh opportunity to someone who has been found to abuse his position and use the offices of his sons, who occupied the posts of PWD minister and chief minister of Karnataka,” NICE said.
“Throughout, H D Deve Gowda sat on the fence; and now when all avenues have closed, he adopted this contemptuous course to which the HC has, with respect, fallen into error in extending its helping hands by treating the same as PIL,” the NICE petition said.

NANDI’S GROUSES

Despite SC clearance, the Karnataka HC has entertained a letter from Deve Gowda

Writing to a court when a matter stands decided by SC amounts to contempt

HC has erred by treating Gowda’s letter as PIL
Old 23rd January 2009, 16:07   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
...HC has erred by treating Gowda’s letter as PIL
True! This was such a bad move! Would the same court have done this move if a common man had send across such a document in such a high profile case?
Old 23rd January 2009, 17:02   #230
Senior - BHPian

Everybody knows Gowda has some vested interest and lands in and around the region. He does not want to give it to NICE for construction of road. He is applying every single step to stop this project and create hurdles.

I did travel from B'ghatta road to Mysore road y'day and the drive was pleasent. You need to pay the toll charges which I feel is OK as you will be saving lot of time.
Old 25th January 2009, 13:58   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Everybody knows Gowda has some vested interest and lands in and around the region. He does not want to give it to NICE for construction of road. He is applying every single step to stop this project and create hurdles.

I did travel from B'ghatta road to Mysore road y'day and the drive was pleasent. You need to pay the toll charges which I feel is OK as you will be saving lot of time.
Is the connection form Hosur road to Mysore road completed. A year ago I tried this route and I had to get in to some real bad stretches near Bennargetta road and back to the NICE road.
Old 25th January 2009, 14:25   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Is the connection form Hosur road to Mysore road completed. A year ago I tried this route and I had to get in to some real bad stretches near Bennargetta road and back to the NICE road.
There has been no new development in the Bennerghata road intersection for the last several years due to the Gottigere lake issue.

More information about this issue can be found at -->

What's Gottigere lake issue all about?-Bangalore-Cities-The Times of India

Saving Gottigere lake or saving money ?

-- Wind

Last edited by Wind : 25th January 2009 at 14:37.
Old 25th January 2009, 14:28   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
The route is good from Mysore road till B'ghatta road. But from B'ghatta road to Hosur road it is same as it was previously.

Hope NICE gets the SC's order soon and construct the much awaited bridge connecting between B'ghatta road to NICE road (towards hosur).
Old 28th January 2009, 17:00   #234
BHPian

Can anyone guide me on how to go onto NICE road from Bannerghata Road towards Hosur Road? Yesterday for the second time, I could not find it after coming down from Mysore Road side.

- Arindam
Old 28th January 2009, 19:07   #235
BHPian

I am not sure the Hosur road side is properly connected to BG road as yet.
Old 28th January 2009, 20:24   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
I am not sure the Hosur road side is properly connected to BG road as yet.
But, aren't they taking toll in this strech as well?

Even if it is not properly done, can you please give the direction.
Old 28th January 2009, 21:15   #237
BHPian

Guys,
I heard that Nice Road entry section on Bannerghatta Road towards Mysore Road has been tarred. In the interim until proper intersection comes up, this is great news as car owners can too enter into this road from Bannerghatta road.
Can somebody confirm this news.
Old 28th January 2009, 21:41   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Guys,
I heard that Nice Road entry section on Bannerghatta Road towards Mysore Road has been tarred. In the interim until proper intersection comes up, this is great news as car owners can too enter into this road from Bannerghatta road.
Can somebody confirm this news.
If it is true then it is indeed great news!! And it means i can take NICE road from BG road this Saturday!!

Now, will someone please confirm what Deepak has heard?
Old 28th January 2009, 22:07   #239
Senior - BHPian

What Deepak says is true. There used to be an old existing road over there and that has been tarred. Now Bannerghatta Road to Mysore Road is also accessible for non 4x4 vehicles.
Old 28th January 2009, 22:33   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
What Deepak says is true. There used to be an old existing road over there and that has been tarred. Now Bannerghatta Road to Mysore Road is also accessible for non 4x4 vehicles.
Thanks for the good news Vikram. God bless ya!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks