Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2009, 16:51   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Hi Found this active thread to seek advice.
Planning a weekend trip to Silent Valley national park from Bangalore.

Which route would be better?
Via Wayanad?
or Via Chamarajanagar, Sathyamangalam?
or Via Coimbattore, Palakkad?

One way would be a leisurely drive and other would be a fast one. Didn't decide if we start Friday, follow speed drive through NH7, reach Coimbatore or Palakkad, and cover forest over weekend, or leisurely drive on Saturday morning, and fast drive on Sunday night.

Advice greatly appreciated about road conditions, what to expect, approx travel time etc.

thanks in advance.
Via wayanad if you want to enjoy scenery and nature.

via sathyamangalam if want some adventure. Road conditions are not so great till TN border. Also through thick jungles. Can make an exciting ride. The downhill to Bannari is fun.

Via Palakkad if you want a quick drive. Avoid Salem. Use Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Avinashi - Cbe bypass.
Old 19th June 2009, 19:12   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Reaching Wayanad is quite simple. I dont know exact wher you wanna go though.

Bangalore - Srirangapatna-Hunsur-Nagarhole-Kutta-Tholpedi. You are in Wayanad. Lovely Scenic road. Distance 250KM. Bad streach < 5%.
Old 19th June 2009, 21:57   #138
Senior - BHPian

I assume you would be going to Mannarkad for silent valley. If so the best option for you is Mysore - Gundlupet - Gudalur - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna - Mannarkad which would be the fastest and also scenic to some extent
Old 20th June 2009, 19:55   #139
BHPian

Thanks for the advice. Few more questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
I assume you would be going to Mannarkad for silent valley. If so the best option for you is Mysore - Gundlupet - Gudalur - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna - Mannarkad which would be the fastest and also scenic to some extent
Would Mysore-Gundulpet-Wayanad road be better or via Nagarhole? I guess Gundulpet has chance of some wildlife sighting as compared to Hunsur road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Reaching Wayanad is quite simple. I dont know exact wher you wanna go though.
Not sure, It is closer to Palakkad, not sure about exact entry point. Planning to stay at Palakkad.

Bangalore - Srirangapatna-Hunsur-Nagarhole-Kutta-Tholpedi. You are in Wayanad. Lovely Scenic road. Distance 250KM. Bad streach < 5%.
Quote:

via sathyamangalam if want some adventure. Road conditions are not so great till TN border. Also through thick jungles. Can make an exciting ride. The downhill to Bannari is fun.

Via Palakkad if you want a quick drive. Avoid Salem. Use Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Avinashi - Cbe bypass.
What is the adventure I can expect via SathyaManagalam? Is it bad roads or wildlife sightings?

One route would be through Coimbatore for a fast ride, probably hit NH7 by night. Can you please advice the 2 lane roads which I need to avoid at dark. I will plan accordingly.
Old 22nd June 2009, 10:04   #140
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to reply late. I think in terms of wildlife sightings the Gundlupet - Bandipur - Gudalur would be a very good bet especially considering you would pass through forest all the way from Bandipur entrance to Mudumalai exit near Gudalur. You might at times get some sightings in the Nadukani - Nilambur stretch though its extremely rare.

This stretch along with "Gundlupet - Bathery" stretch would also allow you to pass through in the night increasing your chances of wildlife sightings.

The road between Hunsur & Kutta via Nagarhole is closed between 6 PM and 6 AM so you could be able to do that stretch only during day time.

The drive down the Dimbam ghats is the only adventure you would get in the Chamrajnagar - Sathyamangalam route. I dont think you would get much of wildlife sightings on this stretch even though it passes through thick forests as Senthil pointed out.

I would still suggest you go via Gundlupet - Bandipur - Mudumalai - Gudalur - Nilambur - Perintalmanna - Mannarkad as not only its the fastest it would also allow you good chance of wildlife sightings unlike NH 7.
Old 22nd June 2009, 23:45   #141
BHPian

Planning to visit CBE this week end. How is the what is the option of the route. and how is the condition.
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:54   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Sorry to reply late. I think in terms of wildlife sightings the Gundlupet - Bandipur - Gudalur would be a very good bet especially considering you would pass through forest all the way from Bandipur entrance to Mudumalai exit near Gudalur. You might at times get some sightings in the Nadukani - Nilambur stretch though its extremely rare.

This stretch along with "Gundlupet - Bathery" stretch would also allow you to pass through in the night increasing your chances of wildlife sightings.

The road between Hunsur & Kutta via Nagarhole is closed between 6 PM and 6 AM so you could be able to do that stretch only during day time.

The drive down the Dimbam ghats is the only adventure you would get in the Chamrajnagar - Sathyamangalam route. I dont think you would get much of wildlife sightings on this stretch even though it passes through thick forests as Senthil pointed out.

I would still suggest you go via Gundlupet - Bandipur - Mudumalai - Gudalur - Nilambur - Perintalmanna - Mannarkad as not only its the fastest it would also allow you good chance of wildlife sightings unlike NH 7.
Thanks Srikanth, my trip is delayed for the moment. I will keep the feedback in mind.
Old 31st August 2009, 11:34   #143
BHPian

Hi, had to drive down to Coimbatore this weekend & this is the latest route update. Till Salem, its 4-laned in full. The Salem to Sankagiri (all 30 Kms of it) is still a pain ! Was disappointing to see little or no progress at all in this stretch in the past 4 months. Depending on the time you hit this stretch you could end up losing an hour or more due to incomplete road-works & the consequent piling up of commercial traffic. From Sankagiri, things look up & 4-laned roads extend to Erode & beyond - all the way up to 20 Kms from Avinashi. Beyond that, its the same old Avinashi-Road nightmare we've all come to love !

My advice, if you're starting early from Chennai or Bangalore & driving to Coimbatore, take the Mettur route itself (just after the ghat section). The roads in this route appear have been relaid recently & its a relatively painless drive all the way to Coimbatore. On the other hand, if you're making an early morning start from Coimbatore & driving to Chennai or Bangalore, the better route is the usual Avinashi-Erode-Salem route as you'll be past the troublesome sections before traffic picks up.

On an another note, does anybody else think the A2B, near the Dharmapuri toll plaza, to have become too popular for its own good ? Its crowded most of the time & they have too few staff on-board to have tolerable service-times. The restroom facilities are decent enough to stop at this A2B though. As for me, I'm planning to switch back to Hotel-TamilNadu, at Krishnagiri, for future trips...

Last edited by im_srini : 31st August 2009 at 11:35.
Old 31st August 2009, 12:12   #144
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
From Sankagiri, things look up & 4-laned roads extend to Erode & beyond - all the way up to 20 Kms from Avinashi.
Erode? Probably you meant Bhavani?

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
As for me, I'm planning to switch back to Hotel-TamilNadu, at Krishnagiri, for future trips
That is a decent place to stop. Food is okay. The best part are their rooms. They are Value for money.
Old 31st August 2009, 12:46   #145
Senior - BHPian

At present road conditions, Mettur route is far better than Salem.
Old 31st August 2009, 17:51   #146
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the update. Was planning to drive.. But have changed my decision and am going by train. works out cheaper for a single person journey.

If we want to split hairs, well the road from Salem passes neither through Bhavani or Erode

The road bypasses Kumarapalayam (Bhavani's twin town) which is the town just before the bridge over the Cauvery river.

You can actually see the Sangameshwarar temple on the right when you are crossing the bridge if you are coming from Salem.

You will then cross the Aavin factory which should be on the left within a couple of kms from the bridge. Good place to have quality hot milk.

The road goes through Chithode and then on to Perundurai where the road from Erode meets the highway.
Old 31st August 2009, 20:24   #147
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
If we want to split hairs, well the road from Salem passes neither through Bhavani or Erode
My mistake! Somehow was confused with Perundurai and Bhavani! I go to Erode.
Yes. Bhavani town is byepassed.
Old 17th September 2009, 09:22   #148
BHPian

Hi,
I am planning to take Hosur-> Denkanikottai-> Anchetti-> Pennaguram-> Perumbalai-> Mecheri-> Omalur on the way to Salem from Bangalore.
Please confirm if the road conditions are still the same (or almost the same) when compared to the trip taken by csenthil last year.
I want to try this route as I take the normal NH7 very often. Morover, this time I have plenty of time left to reach my destination (Attur, Salem district, 250KM from BLR) and hence I an afford some slow driving.
Please advice asap as I am leaving in 24 hours.
Thank you for your help.
Old 17th September 2009, 09:30   #149
BHPian

Hosur-Salem route

Hi,
I am planning to take Hosur-> Denkanikottai-> Anchetti-> Pennaguram-> Perumbalai-> Mecheri-> Omalur on the way to Salem from Bangalore.
Please confirm if the road conditions are still the same (or almost the same) when compared to the trip taken by csenthil last year.
I want to try this route as I take the normal NH7 very often. Morover, this time I have plenty of time left to reach my destination (Attur, Salem district, 250KM from BLR) and hence I an afford some slow driving.
Please advice asap as I am leaving in 24 hours.
Thank you for your help.
Old 27th September 2009, 10:42   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
At present road conditions, Mettur route is far better than Salem.
Quick (and dumb) question - when driving from Bangalore to reach Coimbatore, how does one turn off from the GQ road on Thoppur to hit Mecheri -> Mettur?

Most Viewed