Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2010, 16:32   #271
BHPian

I am travelling from Chennai to CBE tomorrow and planning to take this route
Onward Leg: Chennai - GQ - K'giri - Salem - Perundurai - Avinashi - CBE.

I chose this route because my accomodation is booked in a Serviced Apt at Peelamedu (Ethnic Stay).

Return: Velliangiri - CBE - Annur - Sathy - Gobi - Athani - Mettur - Thoppur - K'giri - GQ - Chennai.

I prefer this route for return as I will be avoiding driving back on Monday morning and driving through CBE may pose challenges. Also I wanted a more scenic route than just the highways.

Are there any good places between CBE and Mettur for lunch?
Old 7th October 2010, 17:51   #272
Team-BHP Support

Not that I am aware of. Push a bit further till you hit GQ. Just do a few Km you would hit A2B on your left.
Old 12th October 2010, 12:09   #273
BHPian

Back from the trip.

Salem - CBE 4 lane upto 20 kms before Avinashi was a breeze, excellent road. The 2L road was a real pain - to add to it I had a lady driving a Fiesta in front of me who appeared to be learning the ropes of Highway driving. What made it worse was a heavy rain.

Took the Sathy - Anthiyur - Mettur - Thoppur route in the reutrn leg. Loved driving through the curvy roads. Expected it to be little more greener. Road was bad around Ammapettai, Mettur and Thoppur. Patch work is going on but don't expect restoration of smooth surfaces.

Thanks @ampere. We still ended up hunting for some place in Mettur as we managed to reach there around 2 PM only and all of us were hungry. Krishna Bhavan near bus stand seems to be the only veggie place but did not have an alternative to the full meal. So we picked up some buns and puffs that kept our stomachs from grumbling till we reached A2B.

Last edited by cnaganathan : 12th October 2010 at 12:12.
Old 12th October 2010, 12:26   #274
Team-BHP Support

How is the crowd at the Thoppur A2B? My take is that it should be much lesser than the one between BLR-Krishnagiri.

Though personally I have never been to the Thoppur A2B.
Old 12th October 2010, 14:02   #275
BHPian

I was there at 3.30 PM yesterday (Monday) - there were around 7 or 8 cars only and we were served in a few minutes. Probably it wasn't crowded because it was a weekday and it was an odd time.
Old 12th October 2010, 14:10   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How is the crowd at the Thoppur A2B? My take is that it should be much lesser than the one between BLR-Krishnagiri.

Though personally I have never been to the Thoppur A2B.

Hi,
I have been using this outlet as it is midway between chennai-ctore.Earlier it used to be empty and only few cars but oflate it is definitely crowded though not like the one near krishnagiri.
cheers
Old 28th October 2010, 08:56   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Thoppur-Salem-Sankagiri-Bhavani-Perinduari-Avinashi
Planning to go to Coimbatore (Thudiyalur) from Bangalore, this weekend.

Which is the fastest route?

Thanks!
Old 28th October 2010, 10:38   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post

Thanks!
Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Thoppur-Salem-Sankagiri-Bhavani-Perinduari-Avinashi

This must be the fastest route (4.5-5hrs)

Last edited by coolclouds : 28th October 2010 at 10:40.
Old 28th October 2010, 10:40   #279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post

Thanks!
I think fastest route would be :

Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Thoppur-Mettur-Ammapettai-Anthiyur-Athani-Sathy Bypass-Sirumugai-Karamadai-Thudiyalur.

This above route from a traffic point of view would be least congested. But after Thoppur A2B I am not aware of any hotels/toilets.

Here is a route guide:

Bengaluru, Karnataka 560001 to Thudiyalur, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

The link some how always goes through Gobi (some issues with google map). But you need not go to Gobi. You can directly take the road from Athani to Sathy By-pass.
Old 28th October 2010, 12:25   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post

This must be the fastest route (4.5-5hrs)
Quote:
I think fastest route would be :

Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Thoppur-Mettur-Ammapettai-Anthiyur-Athani-Sathy Bypass-Sirumugai-Karamadai-Thudiyalur.

This above route from a traffic point of view would be least congested. But after Thoppur A2B I am not aware of any hotels/toilets.

Here is a route guide:

Bengaluru, Karnataka 560001 to Thudiyalur, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

The link some how always goes through Gobi (some issues with google map). But you need not go to Gobi. You can directly take the road from Athani to Sathy By-pass.
Cool, thanks ! The average speed that one could go in NH 47 must be pretty high compared to what I can do on the other route, right?
Old 28th October 2010, 13:14   #281
Team-BHP Support

That is correct. But since you need to go to North CBE, the time you take from Avanshi to your gets off-set. For that you might be better off via SH!
Old 9th November 2010, 21:43   #282
Senior - BHPian

The fastest route to Coimbatore from Bangalore is the 4 lane road right up till 10 kms before Avinashi and then its a gamble

I left home in Bangalore at 6.15 and reached Avinashi at 9.30. From there to Peelamedu, a distance of 40 kms or less took my 75 minutes. It was not the time but the irritating drive behind buses, lorries and some of them breathing down your neck. Sometimes the guys overtaking will force you off the road.

Good thing is that 4 laning is happening after 4 lane ends. Should take a year for all the bridges and roads to be completed.

I would strongly suggest folks to take right after Avinashi and take the road to Annur.

On my return, I actually took the Kalapatti road (opposite the Airport). This road goes through Kalapatti and joins the Sathy road at Kurumba Palayam. From there onto Annur and then double back to Avinashi. Did this in less than an hour, though admittedly this was early in the morning. But atleast saved me the hassle and irritation of driving on Avinashi road.

And by the way folks, Mettupalayam road is being 4-laned. So all traffic to Mettupalayam is mostly through the Annur route.

The road from Krishnagiri till Thoppur and Salem outskirts to Perumanallur toll is a great drive. Watch out for wrong side idiots on these new sections.

So to get to Thudiyalur its easier to go to Annur and then take the Thudiyalur road from Kovilpalayam. Kovilpalayam is on the Annur - Coimbatore route.

Last edited by csentil : 9th November 2010 at 21:46.
Old 13th December 2010, 12:36   #283
BHPian

foolishness to take a deviation at Thoppur to reach CBE via Mettur

I had recently visited CBE.I had taken the following route:
ONWARD TRIP-BLR-HOSUR-KGIRI-THOPPUR-MECHERI-METTUR-AMMAPETTAI-ANTHIYUR-SATHY-CBE.

The road condition from BLR to Thopur is just a breeze absolutely no Problem. A deviation at Thopur towards mettur is real hectic. Right from the deviation a strech of 45 kms from mechiri to ammapettai is really in very bad shape. An aditional disadvantage is the villagers, they just cross the road and then only watch out for the cars. Constant honking is a must,and that too heavy horns are required.The travel speed can be max 70-80kmph only because of the single lane road.

Earlier also i travelled in the same route but now the road condition from mecheri to ammapettai is in very bad shape.

Total toll paid- Rs.111/-

Return trip- CBE-AVINASHI-ERODE-SALEM-KRISHNAGIRI-HOSUR-BLR

From the outskirts of CBE to Avinashi the roads are crowded with lots of buses and lorries and its slow moving traffic close to 50-60 kmph because of the laying of roads and construction of flyover.Once you cross Avinashi, i should say it was just a breeze.Absolutely no problem. All are NH highway toll paid roads. Constant speed at 120 kmph. Even touched 155kmph.

Total toll paid 222/-eventhough the toll is double in this route i really suggest and prefer this route.

It is always better to use this route to avoid travelling into small villages.

Last edited by rki2007 : 13th December 2010 at 12:39. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 13th December 2010, 12:42   #284
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore round trip - Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
The fastest route to Coimbatore from Bangalore is the 4 lane road right up till 10 kms before Avinashi and then its a gamble

I left home in Bangalore at 6.15 and reached Avinashi at 9.30. From there to Peelamedu, a distance of 40 kms or less took my 75 minutes. It was not the time but the irritating drive behind buses, lorries and some of them breathing down your neck. Sometimes the guys overtaking will force you off the road.

Good thing is that 4 laning is happening after 4 lane ends. Should take a year for all the bridges and roads to be completed.

I would strongly suggest folks to take right after Avinashi and take the road to Annur.

On my return, I actually took the Kalapatti road (opposite the Airport). This road goes through Kalapatti and joins the Sathy road at Kurumba Palayam. From there onto Annur and then double back to Avinashi. Did this in less than an hour, though admittedly this was early in the morning. But atleast saved me the hassle and irritation of driving on Avinashi road.

And by the way folks, Mettupalayam road is being 4-laned. So all traffic to Mettupalayam is mostly through the Annur route.

The road from Krishnagiri till Thoppur and Salem outskirts to Perumanallur toll is a great drive. Watch out for wrong side idiots on these new sections.

So to get to Thudiyalur its easier to go to Annur and then take the Thudiyalur road from Kovilpalayam. Kovilpalayam is on the Annur - Coimbatore route.
I left home in Bangalore at 6.15 and reached Avinashi at 9.30---I didnt understand can you clarify please. 3hrs and 15mins from BLR-Avinashi is it.
Old 14th January 2011, 20:13   #285

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore round trip - Update

I am doing this circuit right now.took the NH 209 from bangalore. route-kollegal-chamrajnagar-dhimbam-sathy-pulliampatti-Coimbatore.
journey time on the bike 6 hrs for a distance of 340 kms.The roads are in really good condition.Twisty ,curvy, well paved tarmac greets the riders.
A treat for the CURVE lovers.
ajithnarasimhan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed