Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2011, 19:17   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore round trip - Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Folks,

Any further update on the road widening status between Avinashi and Coimbatore.

Planning to leave on Thursday morning at 5:00 AM from Blr (Sadashivnagar) and want to reach Coimbatore by 10 AM. Is it doable via the NH7 plus NH47 route.

Cheers
Road widening is still on but roads are getting better. But, I would still not prefer this route. You can think about Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Thoppur-Mettur-Ammapet-Anthiyur-Sathy-Coimbatore. I recently did Sathy-Thoppur stretch and the roads are good. Alternately, you can also think about Blr-Salem-Avanashi-Annur-Coimbatore. For this route, you will have to bear the pain of under construction stretch from Chengapalli-Avanashi.
Old 14th November 2011, 19:27   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Planning to leave on Thursday morning at 5:00 AM from Blr (Sadashivnagar) and want to reach Coimbatore by 10 AM. Is it doable via the NH7 plus NH47 route.
Cheers
It will take 4hr 30 mins to 5 hrs if you start at 5am. If you are very particular about timing, better, fill fuel on previous night itself. Also plan the break near Coimbatore itself. If your destination is north CBE, you may try alternate routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
You can think about Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Thoppur-Mettur-Ammapet-Anthiyur-Sathy-Coimbatore. I recently did Sathy-Thoppur stretch and the roads are good.
When did you do the Thoppur-Cbe route? As per earlier posts, the road was not in great shape.

Last edited by coolclouds : 14th November 2011 at 19:30.
Old 14th November 2011, 21:23   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
When did you do the Thoppur-Cbe route? As per earlier posts, the road was not in great shape.
I did this route a week before Diwali. The road is indeed good except for some patches for about 5 kms between Mettur and Ammapet. I was consistently able to maintain a speed of 80-100.
Old 14th November 2011, 21:26   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did this route a week before Diwali. The road is indeed good except for some patches for about 5 kms between Mettur and Ammapet. I was consistently able to maintain a speed of 80-100.
How is the road surface? Is it smooth or a bumpy ride? Any signs of recent tarring?
Old 14th November 2011, 21:34   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is the road surface? Is it smooth or a bumpy ride? Any signs of recent tarring?
80-85% of the roads are smooth. Again, it depends on your car's suspension . It looked like Thoppur-Mecheri is tarred recently.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 21:38   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
80-85% of the roads are smooth. Again, it depends on your car's suspension . It looked like Thoppur-Mecheri is tarred recently.
Thanks for the latest update. Last time I checked with locals at Thoppur who advised me that the road is good. I did about 10 kms on Mettur road but returned to NH7 itself as the road was turning very bad. The locals might have meant its good for lorries
Old 14th November 2011, 22:16   #412
BHPian

Quote:
It will take 4hr 30 mins to 5 hrs if you start at 5am. If you are very particular about timing, better, fill fuel on previous night itself. Also plan the break near Coimbatore itself. If your destination is north CBE, you may try alternate routes.

I am going for an official meeting, have to leave early at 5 AM. The meeting will start by 10:30 AM hence, keeping some buffer.

Never been to Coimbatore by road before and so still not confident of diverting from the NH 7 plus NH 47. Is the route via Thoppur-Mettur-Ammapet-Anthiyur-Sathy-Coimbatore easy to find.

Can't afford to miss any turns or be misguided if were to ask for directions.

Please advice.

Cheers

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th November 2011 at 00:44. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 14th November 2011, 22:59   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the latest update. Last time I checked with locals at Thoppur who advised me that the road is good. I did about 10 kms on Mettur road but returned to NH7 itself as the road was turning very bad. The locals might have meant its good for lorries
But, remember that the rains started just before Diwali and there are chances that road might have been affected. Lets check it out if any one traveled in this stretch after the rains.

Quote:
Quote:

I am going for an official meeting, have to leave early at 5 AM. The meeting will start by 10:30 AM hence, keeping some buffer.

Never been to Coimbatore by road before and so still not confident of diverting from the NH 7 plus NH 47. Is the route via Thoppur-Mettur-Ammapet-Anthiyur-Sathy-Coimbatore easy to find.

Please advice.

Cheers
If you are not comfortable with the route, its better to stick with the NH7 and NH47. For the Thoppur route, you should find the deviations at Ammapet, Anthiyur and Sathy. If you have GPS, you need not depend on the locals to get the correct route. But, again I advice you to stick to NH7 and NH47 as you are travelling to Coimbatore for the first time by road.

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th November 2011 at 00:45.
Old 14th November 2011, 23:07   #414
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Please advice.
Cheers
Plan for a 6 hour journey (with one/two breaks totalling about 30 minutes) to be on the safer side. So, better start at 4am and make sure you have enough fuel to at least reach Salem (about 200-220 km).
If you're not sure about the alternate routes via Mettur, Annur, etc and don't have a navigation device, just stick to NH7-NH47 route.
Since it's a weekday morning, truck traffic should not be too heavy so I don't think the Chengapalli-Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch will be so bad.
Here's another thread for recent updates including my trip log from last week's Bangalore-Coimbatore trip:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...erala-194.html

PS:Even if you do reach in 5 hours, it's still better than being late for an official meeting !

Last edited by NPV : 14th November 2011 at 23:13.
Old 15th November 2011, 00:07   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Cheers
Suggest you leave at 4.00 am from Sadashivnagar. I travelled to Allepey on 29th Oct. I took the NH7 to Salem and then NH47 to Coimbatore and Cochin.

I left Silkboard at 4.30 am and reached Coimbatore bypass at 9.45 am with a 45 min break for breakfast. hence you should be able to reach Coimbatore city by 10.00 am if you leave by 4.00 am and shorter break.
Old 15th November 2011, 00:19   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Cheers
I took this route(Bangalore-Salem-Avinashi-Coimbatore) yesterday and it took 5hrs 30min. Started at 4:00AM and reached at 9:30AM, this includes a 30-40min break, I maintained a speed of around 100Km/h. After avinashi there are lots of diversions and road condition is ok considering the construction going on. The problem was the traffic in this stretch which increases the travel time.

Return journey, started at 9:15 PM and reached bangalore at 2:45 AM.

I would advise you to start at 4:00 or 4:30AM just to have some buffer time in case of any traffic.

Last edited by arun_josie : 15th November 2011 at 00:22.
Old 16th November 2011, 18:44   #417
BHPian

I need to drive to Coimbatore this weekend. This is for a wedding reception, so I need to reach there by Saturday evening. Will stay over night and drive back late morning on Sunday. I'll drive with my wife along. I wanna know the best route. Thoppur-Mettur-Ammapet-Anthiyur-Sathy-Coimbatore? I have a GPS device and time isn't a major issue. Just want a smooth drive.
Also want to know some good place to stay overnight. Need a decent place with a budget of around 1.5 to 2K.Suggestions please.
Old 16th November 2011, 19:40   #418
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonashes View Post
I need to drive to Coimbatore this weekend. This is for a wedding reception, so I need to reach there by Saturday evening. Will stay over night and drive back late morning on Sunday. I'll drive with my wife along. I wanna know the best route. Thoppur-Mettur-Ammapet-Anthiyur-Sathy-Coimbatore? I have a GPS device and time isn't a major issue. Just want a smooth drive.
Also want to know some good place to stay overnight. Need a decent place with a budget of around 1.5 to 2K.Suggestions please.
Overall GQ is still the best option. It just depends on which part of CBE you want to go.
If north, then Avinashi-Annur may also be a good option.
Old 16th November 2011, 20:33   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GQ is the best route but if you have lot of time and looking for a pleasant drive, one way you can try Chamarajnagar route.

Park Plaza (Opp. Railway station)/ Alankar Grand should be close to your budget I guess.

Last edited by coolclouds : 16th November 2011 at 20:40.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 20:41   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NH7 and NH47 is always better but, you will have to bear the pain of under construction stretch from Chengapalli-Coimbatore. If you like to completely bypass this stretch and need a smooth drive and don't mind an extra 30Kms, then the route I recommend would be Bangalore-Salem-Bhavani-Gopichettipalayam-Sathy-Coimbatore. Road condition in this stretch is awesome.

For your budget of 1.5-2K, I would recommend Hotel City Tower, Gandhipuram. Link - Hotel City Tower - Tower of Taste. They have ample space for car parking. Rooms are very decent. I recommend you to book this hotel through Travelguru or Makemytrip to get a better deal.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 16th November 2011 at 20:45.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks