Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2016, 14:59   #826
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
How is the road condition of the Hosur-Rayakottai route. The last update I got was the road was not in a good condition.
It is actually a pleasure to drive on these SH's. I have driven more often than not on the SH's than the NH's. The Mettur Bhavani route has more fuel stations than hotels. That is the only drawback of the SH's in terms of options to break for food.
I would suggest you to go via Hosur, Rayakottai, Thoppur, Omalur, Tharamangalam, Sankagiri and then the usual NH47 route to Kovai. The advantages include bypassing Salem completely and avoiding 2 tolls.
Hosur-Rayakottai is excellent road with low traffic.
Sandy28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 14:31   #827
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

How does one reach Kongu Engineering College, Erode from the NH 47 ?
Should one take the diversion towards Erode from the Perundurai bypass or some other turn off ? Any landmarks would definitely help

Last edited by NPV : 10th June 2016 at 14:37.
Old 10th June 2016, 18:34   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
How does one reach Kongu Engineering College, Erode from the NH 47 ?
Should one take the diversion towards Erode from the Perundurai bypass or some other turn off ? Any landmarks would definitely help
From the NH47 deviation towards Perundurai is the best option. From there if you ask the locals, they will guide you to your destination. Or the other option will be to come via Erode. From Bangalore you can come via Omalur, Tharamangalam, Sankagiri, Pallipalayam, Erode. From here anybody can guide you to your venue.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 20:20   #829
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
From the NH47 deviation towards Perundurai is the best option. From there if you ask the locals, they will guide you to your destination. Or the other option will be to come via Erode. From Bangalore you can come via Omalur, Tharamangalam, Sankagiri, Pallipalayam, Erode. From here anybody can guide you to your venue.
Looking at gmaps , the deviation to take is the one to Perundurai. And the place is not too far from the town.
Since I'm quite familiar with the NH47 on this section, I was looking to get alternative routes/turn offs on NH47 from folks familiar with the place.
Will take Edappady-tharamangalam-omalur on the return, had taken it recently in April too

Last edited by NPV : 10th June 2016 at 20:24.
Old 11th June 2016, 00:48   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Looking at gmaps , the deviation to take is the one to Perundurai. And the place is not too far from the town.
Since I'm quite familiar with the NH47 on this section, I was looking to get alternative routes/turn offs on NH47 from folks familiar with the place.
Will take Edappady-tharamangalam-omalur on the return, had taken it recently in April too
The best way is:
1. Take the last Perundurai exit. (This is where Hotel Chennis is. You could get into Perundurai town from the first exit as well, take the exit that comes after AAB. Head straight and you'll join the Erode road left turnoff)
2. Once you reach Perundurai town, you'll reach a roundabout. Head straight.
3. You'll reach another round about. Take left here.
4. Immediately you'll hit the Erode main road. Take right here.
5. About 4-5 kms down, you'll get the right turn-off for Kongu.
6. This place is called Vaikkalmedu.
7. There is a bridge over a canal here. If you've reached this canal, you've passed the turnoff to Kongu. You basically need to take a right turn just when you enter this Vaikkalmedu village.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 09:27   #831
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
The best way is:
1. Take the last Perundurai exit. (This is where Hotel Chennis is. You could get into Perundurai town from the first exit as well, take the exit that comes after AAB.
Thanks!
You mean the AAB on right side of the highway in the NHAI amenity plaza where the old Aaryaas was, correct ?

Also, Kongu Engg college was just a way point for final destination which is in Sivagiri on the Arachalur road, its a wedding hall there called Uthami Ponnusamy Thirumana Mandapam so would be great if you could take the trouble to give directions for this place
Old 11th June 2016, 16:59   #832
Senior - BHPian

Those taking the Chamarajanagara route, be warned about an unmarked Himalayan speed breaker before and after the bridge across Kaveri. There are no sign boards and since the "engineering marvel" is just after the gentle curve, it can catch motorists by surprise. I witnessed a couple on a bike almost flying off the bike earlier in the morning. If it weren't for them, my car would've taken a hit; I braked hard after seeing the bike jump up, and took the bump softly.

The NH209 continues to be in good shape, with some small rough patches in the KA side.
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 12:40   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!
You mean the AAB on right side of the highway in the NHAI amenity plaza where the old Aaryaas was, correct ?

Also, Kongu Engg college was just a way point for final destination which is in Sivagiri on the Arachalur road, its a wedding hall there called Uthami Ponnusamy Thirumana Mandapam so would be great if you could take the trouble to give directions for this place
Yes thats the AAB.

If you need to head to Sivagiri through Perundurai, take the Perundurai RS road, which is a right turn at the second round about inside Perundurai as described in my previous direction list. This takes you to Sivagiri through Vellode-Arachalur.
Here is the maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/m2cm2sCtyvD2

If you want to go via NH7, no need to go till Karur. Past Namakkal, take the Velayuthampalayam exit-Noyyal-Salaipudur-Thamaraipalayam-Sivagiri.
Here is the maps link:https://goo.gl/maps/UZXyQ9KxdUt
This will be the fastest IMO.

Or you could head into Erode and take the Muthur road, but Erode traffic can be real bad! So wouldn't recommend this option.

As far as the Kalyana Mandapam goes, it is bang on the ArachalurThamaraipalayam Main Road, so should not be a big deal to spot if you take any of the first 2 options.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by luvurride : 13th June 2016 at 12:49. Reason: spellcheck
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 15:13   #834
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
If you need to head to Sivagiri through Perundurai, take the Perundurai RS road, which is a right turn at the second round about inside Perundurai as described in my previous direction list. This takes you to Sivagiri through Vellode-Arachalur.
Here is the maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/m2cm2sCtyvD2

If you want to go via NH7, no need to go till Karur. Past Namakkal, take the Velayuthampalayam exit-Noyyal-Salaipudur-Thamaraipalayam-Sivagiri.

Or you could head into Erode and take the Muthur road, but Erode traffic can be real bad! So wouldn't recommend this option.
Thanks for the tips, but we did this trip yesterday 12 June.

As it turned out, I had all 3 routes in mind (Gmaps suggested route was NH7 via Namakkal) and a bit confused before starting but dropped the Perundurai one and NH7 one since my friend suggested taking the Chithode-Erode route, wasn't bad inside Erode town since it was a sunday and we were in the town around 9:45-10am.

Instead of taking the first exit to Chithode, we decided to take the one further ahead that joins SH15 via a muddy off road track, I had take the same earlier to go to Gobi also but this time turned left to go towards Erode

From the town, we went via Bus stand, Brough Road, turned right at Solar and went towards Modakurichi and Sivagiri on SH84A, superb scenic road. Hats off to the TN roads, State highways are 2 laned but with excellent road surface and very well maintained.

Wanted to try Perundurai route on the return but decided to take the same route back. Took the Sankari bypass-Edappadi-Tharamangalam-Omalur on the way back, lot of truck traffic and slow moving at places with very few opportunities for overtaking but managed to reach Omalur in about an hour.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th June 2016 at 09:45. Reason: edited
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 20:27   #835
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Trip details - sunday day trip Bangalore-Sivagiri (Erode district)-Bangalore:
Onward:
6am - Attibele Toll
6:45am - Krishnagiri Toll
7am-7:40am - Breakfast at Sree Saravana Bhavan, Kaveripattinam bypass
8:15am - Thoppur Toll
8:40am - Omalur Toll
9:30am - Sankari/Vaigundam Toll
9:45am - Exit at Chithode to SH15
10am - Erode town
11:15am - reached destination at Sivagiri (Trip distance:315Km)

*Temperature was around 21 deg in Bangalore at start of trip and gradually rose to 39 deg at the destination in Erode district!

Return:
1:45pm - start return journey from Sivagiri
2:30pm - exit to NH47 from SH15 at Chithode
3pm - Quick tea stop at Kuppanur cross (NH47-Edappady Road junction)
4pm - exited SH86 at Omalur and merged onto NH7 (avoided Sankari and Omalur tolls on NH47 by taking Sankari bypass-Edappady bypass-Tharamangalam-Omalur route)
Thoppur Toll, Krishnagiri Toll - no toll receipt & time since we took the return/2 way toll
6:30pm - Attibele Toll
6:50pm - BETL Toll
7:10pm - Silkboard, dropped friends at HSR Layout and took Koramangala-Inner ring route route back
8:10pm - Home (Round Trip meter:627Km)

*That was 600+Km drive to attend a wedding reception, have lunch and return home
The food was excellent thanks to some fresh tasty vegetables grown in the farms around the place, a great experience away from the maddening city lives!
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 22:25   #836
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone tried this route recently? If so, can you please let me know about the road conditions?
Bangalore -Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamarajanagar - Hasanur - Dhimbham - Coimbatore
Old 16th June 2016, 23:26   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Has anyone tried this route recently? Hasanur - Dhimbham - Coimbatore
Had been to Hasanur from Coimbatore last weekend and the roads are good just that they are two lane roads. But for entering Coimbatore please avoid ganapathy and 100 ft road and take diversions according to your destination.
smrtdvl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 23:32   #838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone tried this route recently? If so, can you please let me know about the road conditions?
Bangalore -Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamarajanagar - Hasanur - Dhimbham - Coimbatore
I'd posted my experience a few posts above yours Since I wanted to take the CBE bypass, I followed the directions to CBE airport and then crossed Avinashi Road to join the L&T bypass. The last section was not very wide, hence took me some time to cover. Roads on the TN side were well kept, while there were some rough patches in the small town and village areas of KA on the NH209
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 09:37   #839
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I'd posted my experience a few posts above yours Since I wanted to take the CBE bypass, I followed the directions to CBE airport and then crossed Avinashi Road to join the L&T bypass. The last section was not very wide, hence took me some time to cover. Roads on the TN side were well kept, while there were some rough patches in the small town and village areas of KA on the NH209
Thanks silversteed. Where exactly is this kaveri bridge? Is it after or before Chamarajanagara?
Old 17th June 2016, 09:39   #840
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks silversteed. Where exactly is this kaveri bridge? Is it after or before Chamarajanagara?
The bridge is before Kollegal and after Malavalli. Its right close to Shiva Samudaram exit.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks