Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2009, 12:48   #91

I am driving from Coimbatore to Bangalore tomorow morning. Plan to start by 4 AM.

Until Thoppur, i intend to go the same way Annur-Sathy-Mettur-Thoppur.
I have been choosing the Palacode route instead of Krishnagiri. But looking at the recent posts, I think i now have a reason to continue on the highway this time.

Will update after the trip.

Are there any carpool sites/forums?
Couple of people dropped out yesterday, so have vacant seats.
Old 9th February 2009, 12:18   #92

Boy oh boy, i could not wait to flaunt about the drive this morning

Started at CBE (passed gandhipuram at 4:30 AM) and after
3 mini stops (tea @ thoppur by 7:30 AM) i parked my Santro in my office (electronic city) by 9:30 AM.

Coimbatore - Thoppur was as usual - nice and smooth, except for the ammapettai-mettur stretch.

The thoppur-hosur stretch was a dream come true, especially the thoppur-krishnagiri section. when you slow down on this stretch, you come down to 100 kmph, and if you miss to keep watch on the speedo, you could be whizzing past 140-150 kmph before you notice.

People can safely skip the rayakottah+palacode route for now and enjoy this ride and toll is all worth it (Rs 45 for Thoppur - krishnagiri and Rs 25 between krishnagiri and hosur).

A pat on my black beauty for beating my expectations and running smooth and strong at over 140 kmph)

Forget about reasons to go, just hit the road and enjoy the new stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysan View Post
I am driving from Coimbatore to Bangalore tomorow morning. Plan to start by 4 AM.

Until Thoppur, i intend to go the same way Annur-Sathy-Mettur-Thoppur.
I have been choosing the Palacode route instead of Krishnagiri. But looking at the recent posts, I think i now have a reason to continue on the highway this time.

Will update after the trip.

Are there any carpool sites/forums?
Couple of people dropped out yesterday, so have vacant seats.
Old 9th February 2009, 13:36   #93
Senior - BHPian

So the toll gates are open? I just came back last tuesday and work was in progress at the toll gates. 45Rs. for 70 odd kms is a bit high, but the road conditions are worth it.
Old 14th February 2009, 21:59   #94

Oh yes Senthil, I was crazy all right - I learnt that the hard way

Return trip was good, I did not speed on the Cbe-Sathy-Mettur-Thoppur leg, I stuck to a sedate 60-70 Km/Hr. After Thoppur, started speeding. Hit Attibele 6 hrs after leaving Coimbatore, got slowed down by afternoon traffic after that.
Old 21st February 2009, 23:56   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri stretch is of international standards I should say. Excellent work by NHAI. Truck drivers keep the left line mostly, and the right line is open for fast traffic. Area arond Thoppur ghat is beautiful also.

On last Sunday, it took only 2 hours and 20min for me to reach from Salem to Bangalore (Belandur). Only worry is the local two wheelers coming on wrong direction (They are still in local standard).

I hope the Salem-Coimbatore will also be done in similar standrard. But I do not the the extra line option for right/U turn on already done up part on Salem-Coimbatore.

Yes, the stretch between Thoppur to Hosur is great, especially the newly laid sections, except for the Hosur-Bangalore stretch - which is currently in a nightmarish condition after driving on the dream come true kind of roads in Tamilnadu area.

I hope that the Highways department comes up with some strict rules for stopping the local traffic (ranging from cycles to tractors) driving on the wrong side in the highspeed right lane. I am not sure how those cyclists/TVS50 guys manage to drive in the wrong side facing the cars coming towards them @ 100+ kmph speed. It happens only in India I would say

Last edited by ece2k2 : 22nd February 2009 at 00:07.
Old 23rd February 2009, 12:19   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
I hope that the Highways department comes up with some strict rules for stopping the local traffic (ranging from cycles to tractors) driving on the wrong side in the highspeed right lane. I am not sure how those cyclists/TVS50 guys manage to drive in the wrong side facing the cars coming towards them @ 100+ kmph speed. It happens only in India I would say

This streach is now a dream drive , i took just about two hours to Salem from Bangalore , but the trouble is with the guys on the wrong side , i found TVS Champs, dumpsters, Maxi cabs and even one combine harvestor pretty much anything that you can imagine on the wrong side.

The worst part is that once on the wrong side of the divider these guys treat that side just like any normal two way road and stick to the fast lane so for all you know you might be crusing at around 130 kmph , you take a curve on the fast lane and then you are face to face with a either a TVS champ hero or a combine harvestor ( thats my night mare ). So guys be very very sharp when you are on this strech , but luckily this road has been well designed and visibility is excellent unlike the mysore road.

The day when we can do Bangalore - coimbatore in under 5 hours is not very far away !
Old 2nd April 2009, 16:38   #97
BHPian

BLr-CBE next weekend, need inputs

Hi,

I would be heading to CBE next week (Good Friday) and intend to take the following route.

BLR-Thoppur-Mettur-Ammapetai-Anthiyur-Athani-Sathy-Annur-CBE

This is the first time I am taking this route, hence need some inputs:

- Can you give me rough idea about turn off's beyond Mettur (I have done the Thoppur-Mettur-Bhavani route few times, but not very familiar; eg: is Ammapetai on the Mettur-Bhavani route & where do I turn off for Anthiyur?)
- How good are the internal roads (Ammapetai-Sathy-Annur)?
- Anything to look out for?

I will be using my scorpio and will be with family, including a 10-month old baby.

Would love to get as much details as possible - turn off's, distance between the towns/turn-off's etc.

Thanks & cheers,
Old 2nd April 2009, 17:00   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
Hi,

- Can you give me rough idea about turn off's beyond Mettur (I have done the Thoppur-Mettur-Bhavani route few times, but not very familiar; eg: is Ammapetai on the Mettur-Bhavani route & where do I turn off for Anthiyur?)
The turnaround is not easy to miss. It is around 20 kms from Mettur. There is police barricades usually at that place. I recollect that there is no major markings, but you can see a mile-stone for "Anthiyur" at the start of the road. The first time I went through the place, I drove for around 10 kms from Mettur blindly and then started looking out roads forking towards right side of the road keeping speeds around 40-60 kmph and slowing down at towns/intersections. I got the correct road without much of an issue. A confirmation at the tea shop at the junction also helps :-).
Quote:
AMAZING!.
Quote:

I will be using my scorpio and will be with family, including a 10-month old baby.
No restaurents till you reach Sathy. So loo breaks might be a problem if you are sedately driving. If you are fast driver you dont need to worry much

Quote:

Would love to get as much details as possible - turn off's, distance between the towns/turn-off's etc.

Thanks & cheers,
I had trouble at one of the smaller towns between Ammapetai -> Sathy. I forgot where. Just ask for directions at Y-forks , just to confirm that you are on right track.

The route is beautiful. Enjoy the drive and drive safe buddy!.
Old 2nd April 2009, 18:16   #99
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Jammy,
Like Santhosh said, its hard to miss the right. Just slow down around 15 kms after Mettur. There is a bakery/tea stall at the junction.

I didnt have any issues with the directions. At Anthiyur junction, you will have to take a sweeping left..there is a road that goes straight..avoid it. When in doubt, just ask the locals.

Next is at Sathy. After you cross a bridge and the sathy bus-stand, the road forks. Keep right ( left goes to goby )...go a little further and you will find the left to annur/coimby. Straight goes to Mettupalayam.
Old 2nd April 2009, 18:20   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Can you give me rough idea about turn off's beyond Mettur (I have done the Thoppur-Mettur-Bhavani route few times, but not very familiar; eg: is Ammapetai on the Mettur-Bhavani route & where do I turn off for Anthiyur?)

Thanks & cheers,
Its there in some of my posts.. but I'm lazy right now !

Ammapettai is 20 kms from the end of Mettur bypass. You will not miss it. Its probably the only big road junction that you will see after Mettur. There is a line of shops on the right on the junction.

When you hit Andiyur, you need to take a left after you cross the bus stand.

Continue straight on towards Athani and then Sathy. Once you hit Sathy, take the road towards the left and you will hit another junction where you need to take left again. Ask for directions. Just say Coimbatore and everyone will point you in the right or rather left direction !

From there on its a straight road till you hit Annur. In Annur the road will curve right and then you need to take the left at the next junction. You will find signboards. From there on its a straight road till Ganapathy.

In Ganapathy you will be forced to take a left and the railway flyover at Textool is under construction with limited access. So watchout. After that its straight on to Gandhipuram.

Hope this helps.
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:51   #101
BHPian

Hi Santhosh, M8002 & CS,

Thank you very much for the details. This should do - I am pretty sure of taking this route now.

CS, I know you have posted so much of detailed directions across the forum; honestly I was searching around and couldn't find the kind of details you guys have provided me now. Mucho Gracias!

Jai Ho!
Old 7th April 2009, 07:19   #102
BHPian

Kurumba resort - Kurumbadi (OOty Mettupalayam road)

Hi guys, I am planning to drive to the Kurumba village resort from Bangalore this weekend. The route map indicates that i should go via Coimbatore rather than via Ooty/Conoor. Any of you who are familiar with the turnings/byepass? Detailed directions would be appreciated..

How is the road? Estimated journey time - its a new car, so cannot exceed 100..

Kurumba Village Resort

The Kurumba Village Resort
Ooty Mettupalayam Road
(between the 4th and 5th hair pin bend)
Hill Grove Post
Kurumbadi - 643102
The Nilgiris
Tamil Nadu - INDIA
Old 7th April 2009, 07:50   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
How is the road? Estimated journey time - its a new car, so cannot exceed 100..
You need not have to go to Coimbatore. You can go directly from Annur to mettupalayam.

The route has been discussed in details many times in this thread. Suggest you to go through page2 of this thread and read csentil's post on the THoppur - Mettur - Ammapet - Saty - Annur - Mettupalayam.

You can also choose to do the return journey through Ooty - Mysore. By doing you can cover the entire Niligiri range and also some breathtaking scenic view points as well.

Abhi
Old 7th April 2009, 09:03   #104
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Suggest you to go through page2 of this thread and read csentil's post on the THoppur - Mettur - Ammapet - Saty - Annur - Mettupalayam.

Abhi
Follow akroy's route with a small correction. You can go directly to Mettupalayam from Sathy ( via sirumugai ). Its one of the most exciting stretches in the whole route. Its a beatiful road with no traffic.
Old 7th April 2009, 09:52   #105
Senior - BHPian

I second that, Next year I will be doing samething. Bangalore - thoppur - Mettur - Satyamangalam - Mettupalayam - Kothagiri - Ooty - Mysore - Bangalore. Drive itself is exciting in this stretch. This is ideal 3-4 days outing from Bangalore.

Ravi.

Most Viewed