Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 14:57   #166
BHPian

Via Dimbam

The section between Nanjangud and TN Border is being worked up and a major section is done.

Basically they are re-doing the culverts along the route and widening the roads. Guys who have used that section will remember that some section before Chamraj Nagar used to be similar to 1 lane roads and now they are getting widened.

Net Net work in progress, but pretty much motor-able. Travelers using sedans shouldn't be too much bothered!
Old 30th September 2009, 17:39   #167
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot guys, I have more or less decided to take Bangalore-Mysore-Chamarajanagar-Sathyamangalam-Annur-Karumathampatti-NH47-Coimbatore Bypass-Pollachi-Parambikulam, unless someone suggests otherwise
Old 3rd October 2009, 08:50   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Did this stretch 4 days back, as you turn off into mettur road for upto 15 kms before mecheri road is fully potholed,watchout. beyond that it is good as ever.
Guys,

Thanks for all the replies I just love Team-BHP for its insanely high SNR.

I reached Coimbatore Thursday afternoon, didn't have internet connectivity till today.

Yep, the stretch up to Mecheri is pretty badly potholed. The rest of the route is pretty good. The only spot of minor trouble I had was with a few maniac buses beyond Sathyamangalam.

I'm planning to leave early tomorrow morning from CBE, and try out the Avinashi-Bhavani-Salem route, as suggested by im_srini. It's started to rain here, don't want to try the Mettur route when it's raining.

Or am I stark raving mad?
Old 3rd October 2009, 12:33   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthiksubraman View Post
Guys,

Thanks for all the replies I just love Team-BHP for its insanely high SNR.

I reached Coimbatore Thursday afternoon, didn't have internet connectivity till today.

Yep, the stretch up to Mecheri is pretty badly potholed. The rest of the route is pretty good. The only spot of minor trouble I had was with a few maniac buses beyond Sathyamangalam.

I'm planning to leave early tomorrow morning from CBE, and try out the Avinashi-Bhavani-Salem route, as suggested by im_srini. It's started to rain here, don't want to try the Mettur route when it's raining.

Or am I stark raving mad?
Even if its raining,I'd prefer the Mettur route,for 2 reasons:
1.Better road conditions compared to the all dug NH7-NH47 Salem section

2.The Salem section in rains tends to have winds of high velocity whereas the bhavani-mettur section is well off in terms of windy conditions with vegetation around.We experienced this ourselves when we were caught in a real bad wind swirl around Salem during the monsoons.In case you do get caught in one of those wind situations,make sure you roll down all your windows and let the wind pass through the car,if you roll them up,then the wind hitting the car would make the car shake violentlyNot meant to scare,but just some tips
Old 3rd October 2009, 17:17   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

2.The Salem section in rains tends to have winds of high velocity whereas the bhavani-mettur section is well off in terms of windy conditions with vegetation around.We experienced this ourselves when we were caught in a real bad wind swirl around Salem during the monsoons.In case you do get caught in one of those wind situations,make sure you roll down all your windows and let the wind pass through the car,if you roll them up,then the wind hitting the car would make the car shake violentlyNot meant to scare,but just some tips
Thank you - for both the tips! Very helpful

Sathy - Mettur - Thoppur -> BLR it is for me, then!
Old 3rd October 2009, 23:00   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
I think the updates are there in the previous posts of mine.

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Avinashi - Coimbatore

Since you are driving during the night I would suggest this route rather than Ammapettai - Sathy - Coimbatore.

EC to Krishnagiri is an hour max. Krishnagiri - Thoppur - an hour at the max. 4 lane all the way.

Take right at Thoppur for Mettur. Thoppur - Mettur - 1 hr. Mettur - Bhavani - 1 hr. These sections are 2 laned roads. Be caeful.

Bhavani - Cbe 2.5 hrs. Bhavani - Avinashi road work is in progress but most of it is done (as per previous posts). Avinashi to Cbe is 2 lane most of the way.

Do not take Salem - Bhavani route as road work is still on. You should be able to be in Coimbatore midnight or by 1 AM if you leave at 6 PM.

I'm assuming you are a safe driver and will drive carefully during the night. I certainly wouldn't recommend driving later than 11 PM.
I was planning a trip to Munnar from Bangalore some time in future. But due to some reasons, I can start only by afternoon. Since I do not drive late, I wanted to stop at Salem and break for night. The next I continue from Salem -> Bhavani -> Perundarai -> Kengeyam -> Udumalpetai -> Munnar.

In this case I dont have a choice but to take NH47 from Salem to Perindurai.
I hope this section is not that bad!

Last edited by ampere : 3rd October 2009 at 23:05.
Old 4th October 2009, 14:59   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

Took this route today, arrived at Bangalore.

The good news is that the bad sections in the Mettur-Thoppur stretch are being patched up. We (wifey and I) hit perhaps < 1Km of intermittently potholed roads here.

The NHAI is doing a great job of maintaining these roads, and must be commended!
Old 20th October 2009, 15:40   #173
BHPian

Hi guys, Diwali update

Took the Mettur-Gobi-Nambiyur-CBE route for the onward journey, as mentioned earlier by karthiksubraman the Mettur stretch has deteriorated a bit - broken tarmac in bits & pieces. Not very bad but can cause you to slow down quite a bit.

Took the Salem route while returning & was pleasantly surprised to see much of the 4-laning complete (from CBE to Salem) The work on the flyovers is still progressing & you hit 2-lane roads after Sankagiri. Saw a toll plaza being erected beyond Sankagiri, so it too should be bypassed in a couple of months. As things stand, CBE to Avinashi & the last 35 Kms to Salem (from CBE) are still 2-laned roads.
Old 20th October 2009, 15:48   #174
BHPian

its better to take the ANNUR road instead of CBE-Avinashi stretch (for people in G.puram and MTP road locality). its 5-10 kms more than this route but its pleasant and the road is also very good.

Last edited by mech : 20th October 2009 at 15:49.
Old 20th October 2009, 19:51   #175
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear that Cbe-Salem roads are getting completed faster.
Old 21st October 2009, 11:16   #176
BHPian

Just did the following route over the diwali weekend (16th-19th Oct 09).

Bangalore->Krishnagiri->Dharmapuri->Thoppur->Mecheri->Mettur->Ammapet->Andhiyur->Athani->Sathyamangalam->Annur->coimbatore

The drive was excellent. Although the roads after Thoppur are 2 lane, they are a pleasure to drive on. All roads are in pristine condition except a few tiny patches with a few potholes. The potholed streches in total is less than 2 kms. Left at 6 a.m from Bangalore and was in Coimbatore by 12 noon. This was after our stop at A2B on the way.

Would highly recommend taking this route.
Old 22nd October 2009, 11:50   #177
Team-BHP Support

How is the Salem to Perundurai stretch?

I plan to break in Salem, before moving on to Munnar via the Salem -> Perundarai -> Kengeyam -> Udumalpettai
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:52   #178

Anyone been through the Bangalore - Mysore - CBE route recently. I would need advice on the route to take and road condition. I was planning to take the Bng - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamarajnagar - Sathy route. Is this good route to travel or is there a better one. I have already travelled the usual Hosur - Salem , Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani as well as the Ammapettai - Sathy routes. I never travelled on this route. I want a change and also to catch some sceneries and wildlife if possible. Appreciate your help.

Thanks
KP
Old 23rd October 2009, 22:35   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How is the Salem to Perundurai stretch?

I plan to break in Salem, before moving on to Munnar via the Salem -> Perundarai -> Kengeyam -> Udumalpettai
4 lane road is being laid so lot of diversions and in some part repair work is going on so Salem to Sankagiri part will be rough. After that toll road starts till perundurai
Old 23rd October 2009, 22:39   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaPower View Post
I was planning to take the Bng - Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamarajnagar - Sathy route. Is this good route to travel or is there a better one.
I heard this route is very good with some bad roads (10-20 kms) near Chamrajnagar. Never tried, have to do it next time

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks