Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2016, 10:01   #841
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Has anyone tried this route recently? If so, can you please let me know about the road conditions?
Bangalore -Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamarajanagar - Hasanur - Dhimbham - Coimbatore
Road conditions are pretty good on this route. Just some narrow sections through villages near Kollegal and narrow roads inside Chamarajanagar town.
And yes the narrow bridge of river cauvery between Malavalli and Shivanasamudra, easily manageable watch out for the speed breakers.

If your timing permits, break at Nijaguna Residency Chamarajanagar, it's located just off the road when going towards Hasanur.
Also, Chamarajanagar-Hasanur-Dhimbam is extremely scenic, will be greener now due to monsoon
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 10:05   #842
Team-BHP Support

As every one mentions, the only potential bottleneck on this section is a truck breaking down on one of the hairpins. Then you are pretty much stuck without any options.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 10:10   #843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks silversteed. Where exactly is this kaveri bridge? Is it after or before Chamarajanagara?
The roads before this bridge ( en route to CBE) is too good and with very less traffic, hence you will be reaching the bridge in good speed. You will start seeing Cauvery river on your left 3-4 km before the bridge itself
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 16:27   #844
Senior - BHPian

I drive to Coimbatore atleast twice each month and this is the standard route we take both ways. Amongst the several trips I've done , we got stuck at the ghats due to truck breakdowns only twice. Otherwise this is a joy to drive.
Old 17th June 2016, 16:59   #845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As every one mentions, the only potential bottleneck on this section is a truck breaking down on one of the hairpins. Then you are pretty much stuck without any options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Amongst the several trips I've done , we got stuck at the ghats due to truck breakdowns only twice. Otherwise this is a joy to drive.
I'd been stuck in the ghats only once. And that one time was indeed an experience to remember for a long time. For this reason, I do this stretch only in the morning. Not a good idea to get stuck in the forest area at night
Old 20th June 2016, 11:09   #846
Senior - BHPian

Traveled the weekend To Coimbatore.

Fast Tag has started working at Krishnagiri Thoppur Salem bypass Toll plaza.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 11:29   #847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Traveled the weekend To Coimbatore.

Fast Tag has started working at Krishnagiri Thoppur Salem bypass Toll plaza.
@gajadonga, i hope you meant at Krishnagiri toll, they scanned it through hand held scanner and not automatic reader. Correct?

Good news to hear about Thoppur toll also now working.

-Ravi
Old 20th June 2016, 11:56   #848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
@gajadonga, i hope you meant at Krishnagiri toll, they scanned it through hand held scanner and not automatic reader. Correct?

Good news to hear about Thoppur toll also now working.

-Ravi
Krishnagiri toll used the hand held scanner device both ways looks like it was a better option these automatic readers was causing problem at Thoppur.
Had to go closer to the exit gate for passing through.
At Krishnagiri the exit gate was opened manually
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 16:18   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone tried this route recently? If so, can you please let me know about the road conditions?
Bangalore -Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamarajanagar - Hasanur - Dhimbham - Coimbatore
Did this over the weekend (from cbe till near chamrajnagar). so don't know about the chamrajnagar to blr part.
As you would be coming down the ghats, it would be great drive. Roads a re very good. Like many have harped, if you get stuck behind a "broken axle lorry" or a heavy vehivle, please step out immediately, lock your cars and try regulate traffic (if you have others in your car). Else double up with 2 or three cars and help regulate traffic. That would help the situation.
Otherwise, this route is one of my personal favorites .
Depending on where you want to go in Coimbatore I can guide you on which route to take from Saravanampatty check post.
Enjoy your drive.
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 16:33   #850
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys for all the inputs.

I took the Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamarajanagar - Hasanur - Dhimbham - Coimbatore route last Saturday. This route is good throughout and very scenic as well. It took us around 6 hours to reach coimbatore.

I would prefer this route any time, especially if there is no strict timelines to be followed.

I have updated few pics here, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4000318

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Otherwise, this route is one of my personal favorites .
Depending on where you want to go in Coimbatore I can guide you on which route to take from Saravanampatty check post.
Enjoy your drive.
Thanks for your offer mate
Old 21st June 2016, 11:25   #851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had been to Ooty last Sat/Sun.
Onward journey took,
Blr-Salem-Mettupalayam-Coonor-Ooty - Fantastic road conditions, but heavy traffic jam@Coonor.

Return journey, I took
Ooty-Gudalur-Bandipur-Gundlupete-Chamarajanagar-Malavalli-Kanakpura-Bangalore.
The road condtions is good all throughout , some are freshly tarred.
Rough patches between Chamarajanagar - Gundlupete, but managable my any sedan.
Old 11th July 2016, 10:59   #852
BHPian

I and my friends are planning a drive from Bangalore to Thattekad over the weekend. Leaving Bangalore saturday early morning.

Any suggestions on route? Toll on road is not a constraint.
I am searching for a route with good roads (where we can do 80 - 90kmph) for most of the journey.

I am thinking of Hosur -> Krishnagiri -> Salem -> Avinashi -> Coimbatore -> Thrisur -> Angamaly -> Thattekad

What do you think about this route?
I saw some suggestions to take state highway at omalur, but also heard it is slower than NH through salem.
Old 11th July 2016, 11:05   #853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilophile View Post
Any suggestions on route? Toll on road is not a constraint.
I am searching for a route with good roads (where we can do 80 - 90kmph) for most of the journey.

I am thinking of Hosur -> Krishnagiri -> Salem -> Avinashi -> Coimbatore -> Thrisur -> Angamaly -> Thattekad

I saw some suggestions to take state highway at omalur, but also heard it is slower than NH through salem.
Fastest would be route you mentioned. Since you are leaving saturday early morning, salem traffic should not a big deal. Make sure you take the coimbatore by pass and not go through the city.

You can take the omalur route. The road was bad the last time I tried it but I did read that they are patched up and better now. It will reduce 2 tolls but your travel time may increase a bit as the State Highway is a 2 lane road and there is a lot of truck traffic on that road.

Since you are travelling to thrissur, you can try the avanashi, mangalam, pollachi route instead of going via palakkad. Have not tried it personally but you can find a lot of info in other threads here.
Old 11th July 2016, 11:16   #854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
You can take the omalur route. The road was bad the last time I tried it but I did read that they are patched up and better now. It will reduce 2 tolls but your travel time may increase a bit as the State Highway is a 2 lane road and there is a lot of truck traffic on that road.
I traveled on the Omalur route in the last week of March. The entire stretch was relaid newly. Yes the truck traffic can be on the higher side. Nevertheless if one wants to avoid 2 tolls at Omalur and Sankagiri, this route can be taken.
Old 11th July 2016, 11:25   #855
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilophile View Post

The Omalur route is newly laid but will not be worth it if you're starting early (in which case Salem will not be painful to cross) but it will also save you 2 tolls.

One alternate you can consider is Avinashi bypass-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkencherry and then continue on NH47 towards Thrissur. Roads are good but 2 lane and may be tad slower than the regular Coimbatore-Palakkad route.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks