Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2013, 16:35   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyderabad - Vizag : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tMax View Post
Are there any safety issues if I cross OD on the NH-5, during the late night hours (say in between 10 PM to 5AM)? I'll be traveling with my family.
No safety issues on the NH5, though you wont take 7 hours to cross Odisha that late at night. You could probably do it in under 6 hours.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 10:01   #122
Senior - BHPian

Folks

A friend of mine is planning to drive down to Vizag from Hyderabad on 31st of this month on his Honda City. We'd appreciate road updates between Hyd and Vijaywada, and from there till Vizag, keeping the recent heavy rains and floods in mind.

Around 2 days back, I heard that the Vijaywada road was breached near Narketpalle, forcing vehicles to go via Jangaon. I also heard that the railway tracks were flooded near Tuni, and perhaps the highway also might have go affected in that area.

Thanks.
Old 31st October 2013, 18:22   #123
Senior - BHPian

My pal traveled to Vizag Steel Township today on his All New Honda City. The update he sent me is:

"On a scale of 10, I'd rate Hyd-Vijaywada as 9, BZW-Rajamundry as 7, and RJY-Vizag as 8.5'.

I was getting regular updates from him throughout the drive. He left at 6 am and reached at 4 pm, including breaks for breakfast, lunch and fuel. Total distance from Vengal Rao Park at Hyd was 660 kms (one needs to add another 25 kms if Vizag City is the destination).

Per him, the road from Vijayawada to Rajajmundry is riddled with potholes all through the stretch. But he said one can drive mostly in 5th gear, and drop gears when there are too many potholes, else one can zig and zag, depending on traffic. He took 2 hours 40 minutes to cover that stretch.

Hope this helps. It is distressing to know that the GQ has taken such a turn. I wonder how long it will take to get it back to its earlier condition.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 16:38   #124
BHPian

I am planning a trip in a week from Hyderabad to Vizag. Is there a short cut/by pass suggested for Vijayawada? Last year around the same time, it was a pain going on the highway through Vijayawada.
Old 2nd November 2013, 16:55   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmurali View Post
I am planning a trip in a week from Hyderabad to Vizag. Is there a short cut/by pass suggested for Vijayawada? Last year around the same time, it was a pain going on the highway through Vijayawada.
Hyderabad-Vijaywada is now fantastic and the NH5 is also good except for some rough sections around Eluru. The "shorter" route via Khamman to Rajahmundry is 2-laned and has some bad stretches for some time now, so best avoided.
Old 2nd November 2013, 17:18   #126
BHPian

Thanks. Any tips on driving through Vijayawada?
Old 2nd November 2013, 17:21   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmurali View Post
Thanks. Any tips on driving through Vijayawada?
NH9 from Hyderabad ends in either Eluru Road or the NH5 bypass towards Eluru/ Rajahmundry. I am told that the rod gets congested in evening hours largely because of some cinema halls/ malls
Old 11th November 2013, 18:34   #128
BHPian

Came back yesterday night. Road from Vijayawada to Rajahmundry has pot holes, some damaging and to be avoided, and some we can drive through with some discomfort. Will certainly put a dent in the driving speed. Plan for 45 minutes extra due to these potholes. They started fixing them but not sure when they will completely finish the job.

NH5/NH9 is a mess Sunday evening around 6:30PM. Wasted 1 hour in traffic. I hope real Vijayawada by pass comes through.

Plan such a way to avoid crossing Vijayawada morning 8 - 11AM and evening 5PM to 8:30PM.

While going started at Gachibowli at 3AM, reached Vijayawada Babai Hotel by 7AM. Started at 7:30AM after breakfast and reached Vizag, Novotel Hotel by 2PM with a 25 minute break at Annavaram temple Prasadam counter on . NH5. Could have reached 30 minutes earlier if I have taken the port road after Gajuwaka. iPhone Google Maps suggested that but we didn't take it. We took it while coming back.

Started at Vizag 10AM (took port road), again break for 25 minutes at Annavaram temple Prasadam counter. Stopped at relatives in Hanuman Junction for lunch at around 3:30PM. Started again at 5PM and reached Gachibowli by 11:00PM.
Old 11th November 2013, 18:47   #129
Senior - BHPian

My friend took 11.5 hours to reach Hyderabad on his return trip on Nov 4th, including bio and food breaks. He was driving at at safe speed of 80 kmph, and got an FE of 19 kmpl on his All New Honda City.

He says the return leg has fewer potholes on the RJY-BZA stretch. Crossing Vijaywada took him less than an hour around 1 pm. He made the mistake of taking the shorter route to Banjara Hills via LB Nagar. He'd have saved around half an hour if he'd taken the longer route via ORR and PVNR Expressway.

Another colleague of mine drove from Vizag City to Kondapur on 8th November on his Cruze, and reached in 9 hours, including a 45 minute break for lunch. He started at 9 am and reached by 6 pm via the ORR. He too had the same feedback on the horrible stretch between Rajamundry and Vijaywada. But on good stretches, he'd done triple digit speeds.
Old 25th July 2014, 11:59   #130
Senior - BHPian

http://www.villageorganics.in/villag...ram-food-court

Yet another eatery option on NH9 between Hyderabad and Vijayawada.
ranjitp1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 09:46   #131
BHPian

I will be travelling to Rajahmundry from Hyderabad. Is Hyd-Khammam-Rajahmundry a better option than going via Vijayawada?

Can someone help me on the route conditions via Khammam?
Old 29th August 2014, 18:59   #132
BHPian

Planning to travel Hyderabad - Vizag Next Month. Any updates on the road conditions, Eataries. Route mostly would be Hyderabad - Vijayawada - Vizag. Any suggestions please.
Old 30th August 2014, 00:47   #133
BHPian

For those who are concerned about crossing Vijayawada, have a look at the alternate route. This would not go through the dreaded Benz Circle.

You can also follow the below link for more information:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...l-info-16.html

Old 30th August 2014, 19:42   #134
Senior - BHPian

3 of my colleagues drove from Hyd to Vizag / Rajamundry this month and returned.

Their updates are:
  1. Hyd to Vijaywada continues to be a pleasurable drive. Many good eating joints near Suryapet.
  2. Crossing Vijaywada continues to take 45 minutes to an hour. Perhaps the route suggested by Josevijay might be a better detour.
  3. Vijaywada to Rajamundry is patchy with more traffic. Average speed of 70 to 80 kms on this stretch.
  4. Rajamundry to Vizag is great, but not as good as the Hyd- Vijaywada stretch.
  5. Crossing NAD Jn at Vizag takes 15 to 30 minutes, depending on peak time or off time. It is better to take the detour at Sheela Nagar on the new road that skirts the airport runway.
  6. No decent hotels between Vijaywada and Vizag, except few roadside dhabas.
Old 30th August 2014, 21:13   #135
BHPian

I have a trip planned for Hyd to Bapatla in the second week of Sept. The route I am planning to take is Hyd - Vijaywada - Guntur - Bapatla. I understand from this thread that the stretch from Hyd - Vijaywada is very good. Any tips about the Vijaywada - Guntur - Bapatla stretch will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks