Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2007, 11:44   #1
BHPian

Travelling with 1.5 year old to Delhi-Agra-Shimla-Manali

Hi friends,

I will be travelling to Delhi,Agra,Jaipur,Shimla,Manal i and chandigarh this month (August) end.It will be a 14 day trip (returning on 9th Sep).I am travelling from Bangalore.We are flying to/from Bangalore to Delhi.

From Delhi,I will be covering the entire journey in a cab, except for Delhi-Shimla (via Kalka) and Chandigarh to Delhi route which I do in a train.

I would need your suggestion on the food for my infant (1.5 year old baby girl) during this journey , since we don't want to feed her from the hotel .
and also other suggestions to keep her good.

Do we need to take heavy wool clothes in Simla and Manali during this time?

Thanks,
Old 3rd August 2007, 12:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrboy View Post

From Delhi,I will be covering the entire journey in a cab, except for Delhi-Shimla (via Kalka) and Chandigarh to Delhi route which I do in a train.

I would need your suggestion on the food for my infant (1.5 year old baby girl) during this journey , since we don't want to feed her from the hotel .
when we make such trips we carry a lot of fruit (you can buy bananas, apples, etc. fresh at easch stop), some packaged goods (Lays, cheezlings, cream buscits, milk and juice in tetra packs, etc..) and stick to simple stuff like idlis. Many sure all food is cooked well and all fuit is served without the peal (so carry 2 good pealers and 3 good knives).

We also avoid all non-veg and spices/masalas. better to have bland food (you can carry black pepper if you are inclined) than to fall sick.

Other food we carry are tephas (a gujrati papadam one of our friends makes for us) and lolis (a thick sweet chapathi my mom in law maks for us). These can been eaten hot or cold and last for about 6-7 days and lots of trta packs of milk.

and it goes without saying to be carefull about the water. since there are sections you will be using a train make sure that you travel light during these sections and are able to replish your stocks at your destinations (Shimla and Delhi).

As far as clothng goes, I have not been to these places so I cant tell. What I do recommend is carry a lot of layers and a couple of jackets per person (incl for your child) also carry head gear as you can loose 70% of your body heat through your head.
Old 3rd August 2007, 12:16   #3
BHPian

Hi Navin,

Thanks for quick reply.

I have few questions.What do you mean by "trta packs of milk".Also what is a "head gear" ?
Old 3rd August 2007, 12:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,

I will be travelling to Delhi,Agra,Jaipur,Shimla,Manal i and chandigarh this month (August) end.It will be a 14 day trip (returning on 9th Sep).I am travelling from Bangalore.We are flying to/from Bangalore to Delhi.

Do we need to take heavy wool clothes in Simla and Manali during this time?

Thanks,
ya Shimla/Manali are cool these days and its Rainy season there

infact Manali will be a bit more cool than Shimla so please carry 1-2 pair warm clothes for u and enough warm clothes for ur kid
Old 4th August 2007, 00:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Are you a vegetarian or a non-vegetarian. My Daughter is almost of the same age. She prefers to have the food that we have. We had travelled with her extensively last year thru Assam. We always bought fresh potatoes. And at any hotel you can ask them to boil that. You can carry a small sized "rice-cooker" which yu can give to the hotel folks for cooking of the rice and biling of potatoes. We also bought Butter, we also gave her hot chicken soup, she took it well. But since my daughter was small then, it was less trouble, but now, she would only have things I am eating. So I have to end up drinking a bit of Soy milk etc!

The railway refreshment room at Kalka was very very clean a few years back, not sure now. At the Hotels, you can specifically order for baby food items that you need (cos I beleive, your "BIG!" daughter now will not be fooled into having boiled potato only!!). But always remind them that what you are ordering for will go into a baby.

About Woolens, you being from B'lore will need to carry woolens no matter what time of the year you go there. it will be better for the baby if you buy a few body hugging "thermals", they are not costly. Moreover, since you will be going to Manali, you will certainly visit rohtang pass to see the ice, so have caps (headgear) that can cover the ears (for the baby), the grown ups can actually take off their woolens to have a feel of the chill!!

And dont worry, you will enjoy your trip.

Last edited by 1100D : 4th August 2007 at 00:50.
Old 6th August 2007, 12:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
What do you mean by "trta packs of milk".
Tetra packs, I think. The likes of Good-Life and Amul. We've used Good-Life 200ml packs and have found them very convenient.

Cheers,
Su-47
Old 6th August 2007, 13:42   #7
BHPian

And Kindly DONT FORGET the medication.

Make a list of her choicest food items and try to get them packed or bought off the shelf.

I beileve the hotel guys can accomodate you or your wife in the hotel kitchen for some cooking in the hotel kitchen. I was allowed to do the same in Goa for my 8 month son.

Have a great trip and do file your trip report.

Ram P
Old 6th August 2007, 14:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
And Kindly DONT FORGET the medication.
and always give her clean water, boiled if possible or the mineral water.
Old 6th August 2007, 15:05   #9
BHPian

Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions.

1100D, we are basically vegetarians.

What kind of medicines that I should carry for this long journey.
The normal for sick,cold,head achce,upset stomach.Anything else for the kind of changes that we encounter while climbing up.

Thanks,
Old 6th August 2007, 15:27   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Navin,

Thanks for quick reply.

I have few questions.What do you mean by "trta packs of milk".Also what is a "head gear" ?
i meant tetra packs. head gear like a woolen cap or 2.
Old 6th August 2007, 15:29   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Tetra packs, I think. The likes of Good-Life and Amul. We've used Good-Life 200ml packs and have found them very convenient.
we get Amul, Mother Dairy, Nestle and a host of smaller brnds in Mumbai and Delhi. Amul however is very well distributed. Please check dates and that the pack is not puffed.
Old 6th August 2007, 15:32   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What kind of medicines that I should carry for this long journey.
The normal for sick,cold,head achce,upset stomach.Anything else for the kind of changes that we encounter while climbing up.,
sun screen, a general purpose cream for dry skin and chafing, anti vomit and motion sickness, gauge, bandaid, anti allergy, a general purpose anti biotic (for adults as well as the child), visit your pediatrician and get a list of any specific medicines.

avoid consuming food and liquids (esp milk) just before a long road trip instead eat in small bites while on the road.
Old 6th August 2007, 15:59   #13
BHPian

Delhi - Agra can be done in a day if you just want to visit just Taj & Agra Fort. If you plan for Fatehpur Sikri, you may need to do a night stay in Agra .
Though you can hire a Taxi, but some trains (Satabdi Express and Taj Express ) may also fit in your itinerary for 1 day trip to Agra.

Happy traveling, Cheers
GD
Old 6th August 2007, 16:01   #14
BHPian

You can also take a train ( Himalayan Queen) from Kalka to Shmila, Eventhough it takes couple of hours more to reach shimla, but its worth taking it.
Old 6th August 2007, 16:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

what about gerber baby food, they come in sealed bottles and wont it be more hygenic for a long trip away from home ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks