Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 21:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Trivandrum via Goa in an Accent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~h View Post
Hi hvkumar, I'm planning to Mumbai-Punalur sometime next week, is it advisable to take the Madurai Route ? (NH-7, map below) heard the roads are good on TN with very less traffic.
The roads are good, but conventional 2-laned twisty in TN and ghat roads from Schecottah (TN border town) to Punalur. However, do not expect to exceed speeds of over 80-100 kmph in any section. No bypasses for any of the towns except Tenkasi.

I would suggest you turn off NH7 at Thirumangalam and not at Kovilpatti.

Last edited by hvkumar : 14th December 2011 at 21:23.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 19:20   #47
~~h
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The roads are good, but conventional 2-laned twisty in TN and ghat roads from Schecottah (TN border town) to Punalur. However, do not expect to exceed speeds of over 80-100 kmph in any section. No bypasses for any of the towns except Tenkasi.

I would suggest you turn off NH7 at Thirumangalam and not at Kovilpatti.
Ok, so as I see there is no major benefit by taking this route.
Your older replies are around 2007-08 times; and I guess the roads are improved since then. Which is the best route as of today (for Mumbai-Kollam/Punalur)?

I'm planning avoid late night drives, but could be done if there a substantial advantage in mile crunching.
Old 15th December 2011, 22:20   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~h View Post
Ok, so as I see there is no major benefit by taking this route.
Your older replies are around 2007-08 times; and I guess the roads are improved since then. Which is the best route as of today (for Mumbai-Kollam/Punalur)?

I'm planning avoid late night drives, but could be done if there a substantial advantage in mile crunching.
To get to Punalur-Kollam, the Tirumangalam-Srivilliputtur-Rajapalayam-Tenkasi-Schencottah-Aryankavu-Tenmala route is good.
Old 29th February 2012, 13:47   #49
BHPian

Bumping an old thread to add updates on road conditions.

I did Mumbai - Trivandrum this month. Credit goes to HV Kumar Sir for charting out the route. It was in detail with all the information on accomodation, Bypass, markings etc.

A big thanks to you Sir. Without your help, I don't think this trip would have been so enjoyable.

I took Mumbai - Kolhapur - Bangalore (NH4), took a break at Hosur and continued on NH7 (Krishnagiri - Salem - Madurai - Tirunalveni - Nagarcoil - Trivandrum).

Fantastic 4 lane road till Muppandal after which the road is pretty narrow and single lane. Took about 3 hours to clear a 100 kms stretch.

For my return journey, I chose the scenic NH17.

I did Trivandrum - Aluva during the night time. Couldn't continue beyond Aluva due to lack of rest and decided to get some sleep at Aluva.

On the next day, I did Aluva - Kozhikode - Thalassery - Kasargode - Mangalore. I was lucky because it was a Sunday hence most of the shops were shut.

Took my dinner at Manglore and decided to drive throughout night to Goa. The stretch from Mangalore to Kundapura is bad. Road widening work is being carried out hence one has to watch out for diversions, unmarked speed breakers. Reached Goa next morning and decided to take a break for a day.

From Goa, it was an uneventful but fantastic drive to Ratnagiri. A break again at a relative's place and back to Mumbai

Overall, it was a fantastic drive. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Sabareesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 16:59   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Bombay-Goa is a fast road by day despite the ghat roads - I do the 550 kms in 8 hours. Transit through Goa state can be slow. Once you cross into Karnataka, you continue to have lots of ghat roads but passage is fast. Fastest stretch would be Bhatkal-Kundapura after which traffic increases. Driving through Kerala is slow throughout during day, but at night the fastest stretches would be Kochi-TVM.
Bhatkal to Baindoor is good but roads are a bit bad and bouncy beyond Baindoor up to Kundapura now.
From Kundapura to Mangalore as 4laning work is on can't be fast continuously. Once after entering Kerala roads are fine till Trivandrum at this point of time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks