Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2007, 12:00   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Hey shomitro, have a nice time driving and also safe driving.

Wellcome to hyderabad in advance.

Well planning for a good mini meet here in Hyderabad, keep an eye on the hyderabad mini meet thread.

all the best.
raj.
Thanks kkr2k2. I have your number and will give you a call once I reach there.
Old 7th August 2007, 12:01   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
All the best Sumitro!! Hope you have a great time... make sure to keep a detailed log and we expect a loooong travelogue on your return.

As Rudra Da would put it - Dugga Dugga!!
Thanks Wimwian. I only hope I could take snaps like you and Rudra Da...
Old 7th August 2007, 12:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

@ BP - get in touch with Zappo - i will pm you his mobile number.
Old 7th August 2007, 12:13   #19
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
@hvkumar - while going through the maps last night I had one confusuion. From Rajahmundry there are two ways to go till Eluru Canal (as per the Eicher Map), one through NH5 and another through state highway. The one through NH5 is around 103 Km and 50 Kms more than the other option. Can you please suggest which one to take?
the state highway is good, but you will be encountering lots of goods traffic going to sugar factories. it also goes through towns. one has to enter rajamundry to get into this road. the NH5 is better even though it is longer as you need ask for directions and can maintain good speed

Last edited by rkg : 7th August 2007 at 12:16.
Old 7th August 2007, 12:28   #20
Team-BHP Support

Ahhaaa... sumitro... welcome to hydbd mannn... the biriyani city.
u got my no.? ok... i will PM you my no. aar oi 12 ghontaaye vizag pounchobaar gunto guti koro naa... just drive it easy. Orissa part of the roads may not really be very conducive to fast driving. on top of that the kind of rains we are witnessing its not doing any great favors to these roads. Look out for crater shaped potholes. The last thing you want is broken axle or something. So easy. Ok? It does not matter if you reach Vizag at 8pm. But drive easy.

Another problem. When you drive down to Hydbd remember one thing. The roads will be very inviting for sure and tempt you to floor the accelerator. However the villagers all along the highway are a problem. You will be amazed to find trucks, tractors and every other conceivable thing on the wrong side of the road coming towards you and that too at pretty high speeds. Its a huge problem. So beware.
Old 7th August 2007, 12:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@hvkumar - while going through the maps last night I had one confusuion. From Rajahmundry there are two ways to go till Eluru Canal (as per the Eicher Map), one through NH5 and another through state highway. The one through NH5 is around 103 Km and 50 Kms more than the other option. Can you please suggest which one to take?
Sticking to NH5 is your best bet. State highway is not in a good state right now. There is an alternate route to Hyd from Rjy. From Rjy, cross the bridge over River Godavari and reach Kovvur. From Kovvur take the route to Eluru (This is the same state highway you mentioned in your post).

After travelling around 20 - 30 KMS on this road you reach Devara palli. From here take right toward Khammam. The road from here is heaven. Have a blast. I am not sure if the recent rains spoiled things. Keep looking for pot holes. Khammam is around 170 KMS from Devarapalli. If you want to stop for lunch, go in to Khammam town else stick to the highway as this is also By-pass for Khammam. Keep checking signs for Suryapet. Suryapet is 60 KMs from Khammam and roads are decent. From Suryapet it is straight 120 KMs road to Hyd but traffic is a pain.

This route saves you 80 KMs of travel compared to NH5 via Vijayawada. Both the routes meet at Suryapet. For the well laid 4 laned NH5 you loose, you will have the less crowded decently smooth less distance route via Khammam. NH5 in AP is not the safest place with people coming head on in the same lane as yours from opposite side.

On Khammam route, my best timing was 6 hours from Hyd to Rajahmundry non-stop in my Palio D. The distance between Rjy to Hyd using this route is exactly 400 KMs whereas the NH5 is 480 KMS.

Check MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go! for detailed directions.
Old 7th August 2007, 12:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

@ BP - have you decided on where you will put up @ hyderabad? plan for a meet in Hyderabad - start a new thread if possible. have fun bro! and last but not the least drive safe dont mess around with a white modded 1.6 GTX - if you are going towards Hi-Tech City (near Madhavpur Petrol Pump)

dont forget to carry one First aid box in the car.

PM-ed you Zappo's number.

reference threads:

1. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...road-trip.html

2. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...highlight=rain

3. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...highlight=rain

Last edited by planet_rocker : 7th August 2007 at 12:43.
Old 7th August 2007, 13:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nice ride BP, but I am not confident about your Day1 plan, I am sure you cannot reach Vizag by 4PM, be very careful and steady!!! You should be out of Orissa before darkness,

4AM: Engine Starts from Kolkata
10AM: Reach Bhubaneshwar (I suggest you donot stop anywhere take some food from home, stop somewhere in between and have your food)/I am saying this assuming the Jaleshwar to balasore stretch is complete (as shown in NHAI), otherwise you will loose 2 hours easily...

Try to have lunch (or bring your lunch from Kol) somewhere in Bhubaneshwar / Khurda itself as there is no facilities after that till the border and also I suggest you not to stop anywhere in between Khurda - Ichchapuram.

Bhubaneshwar - Ichchapuram will take you 4 hours nonstop (assuming you reach there at 3PM)
Ichchapuram - Vizag is a 4 hour journey, you should reach Vizag not before 7PM...

Take a list of the Reliance A1 Plaza which I have mentioned in a separate thread. Vizag A1 Plaza serves some amazing Chicken Biriyanis, you can have a halt in the evening and checkout...

As far as Hotels are concerned there are plenty on Beach Road (try to enter Beach Road asap, there is a left from Bhimunipatnam)/ask anybody for beach road they will tell you...We stayed in Hotel Supreme (0891-2782472/3/4), there are other hotels as well...Your only worry is Day1, also i suggest dont do very high speeds, between 100-130kmph you will not be that tired...in 2 laned stretches dont cross 100 as there are lots of diversions...

Vizag - Vijayawada is 5 hour affair including a breakfast break, Sugest pls have lunch at A1 Plaza Vijayawada which is 30km before vijayawada...

Read my Thread of Bangalore - Kolkata, hope that comes handy to you...

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 7th August 2007 at 13:16.
Old 7th August 2007, 13:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
What is the total distance? Calcutta - Hyderabad - Calcutta? @ 8-9 kpl, and petrol @ Rs. 50 average, you do the maths.
Why so low FE for baleno? it should give 14-15kmpl, THis is not a Kol - panagarh dash which you can do at 160kmph and get lower FE, if you do 50km at that speed in such a long journey, he cannot even pull the remaining journey, thats for sure...

hence, he has to keep speeds between 100-120kmph with occassional dashes

BP, Why going to Hyderabad? if it is just for visit, then come down to Bangalore and enjoy the weather.

Abhi
Old 7th August 2007, 13:28   #25
Team-BHP Support

That is what abhi... i suggested him to target around 8pm for vizag. anyhow, 6.30-7pm is the regular time. and considering the rain battered roads he should make provision for at least an hour or two extra.

Edit: Abhi, shuvo is talking about his Octavia's mileage with his own kind of driving. by the way weather here is also amazing nowadays. the windswept roads of hi-tech city with bursts of rains in between. Hyderabad is definitely having a cool climate nowadays.

Last edited by Zappo : 7th August 2007 at 13:31.
Old 7th August 2007, 14:00   #26
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a lot rkg, Zappo, Satish, akroy and Planet... will definitely remember all the points mentioned. We have booked a place called Amrutha Castle in Hyderabad.
@akroy - will definitely come to Bangalore next year
Old 7th August 2007, 14:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

As usual, watch out for scooters/bikes/cycles/tractors coming on the wrong side of the road !!

Quote:
We have booked a place called Amrutha Castle in Hyderabad.
Amrutha Castle looks pretty grand.. its situated on the foothills of the hill where the Birla Mandir is located. Also, Prasadz IMAX theatre and Hussian Sagar lake is close by.

Last edited by spadival : 7th August 2007 at 14:42.
Old 7th August 2007, 23:00   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
That is what abhi... i suggested him to target around 8pm for vizag. anyhow, 6.30-7pm is the regular time. and considering the rain battered roads he should make provision for at least an hour or two extra.
A minor change in plan after reading the posts - will be starting at 3 am on 10th.
And will be sticking to NH5 till Vijayawada even though it will be a longer distance.
Old 8th August 2007, 07:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

@BP - why don't you stopover at Vizag on the 11th ? Nice place. Go to Hyd on the 12th.
You'll get to see the place as well as get a breather between the two drives.
Old 8th August 2007, 08:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A minor change in plan after reading the posts - will be starting at 3 am on 10th.
And will be sticking to NH5 till Vijayawada even though it will be a longer distance.
Thats a nice decision, Make sure you stick to it...

ya stick to NH5 through even near Rajahmundry although you are doing 50km extra but it will take lesser time...
If you are going just for leisure to Hyderabad, I would suggest you to stop over in Vizag and enjoy the place...

Vizag - Hyd is a 10 hour affair, so no issues, start from Vizag at 6:30AM, stop for breakfast at Yelamanchili A1 Plaza (its nice), Lunch at Vijayawada A1 Plaza...

Abhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks