Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2007, 11:56   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
@BP - why don't you stopover at Vizag on the 11th ? Nice place. Go to Hyd on the 12th.
You'll get to see the place as well as get a breather between the two drives.
could have done that, but I messed up the dates while booking. the booking starts on 11th, so trying to stop over at Vizag while coming back provided time and money permits..
Old 8th August 2007, 12:37   #32
Team-BHP Support

Ok, so you are going to be lodged at Amrutha Castle. Thats best western group. The same guys who also run the Country Club resorts (crappy time sharing schemes!). But Amrutha Castle indeed looks grand, and is made to look like a castle. Lot of places around... Imax (Prasadz), Lumbini park, NTR gradens, Buddha statue in Hussain Sagar, Birla mandir. Indira Park in the daytime with Ramakrishna Mission opposite to it (if you choose to)... lot of places nearby. Good place all in all. Abbe pehle pohonch to jaa... Hyderabad has a good few places around it as well. Not to forget all the food you can wolf down. After Kolkata this has to be the next city for the Foodies (or maybe even equivalent to Kolkata).
Old 8th August 2007, 12:52   #33
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Hi!
if you have interest you can visit Golconda fort, charminar, Kutub shahi tombs and of course great Falaknama Palace, Salarjung museum. they are worth seeing

Last edited by rkg : 8th August 2007 at 12:53.
Old 8th August 2007, 13:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
@hvkumar - while going through the maps last night I had one confusuion. From Rajahmundry there are two ways to go till Eluru Canal (as per the Eicher Map), one through NH5 and another through state highway. The one through NH5 is around 103 Km and 50 Kms more than the other option. Can you please suggest which one to take?
Though longer, the NH is a safer bet. State highways are often narrow and bumpy, and you lose time in villages it passes through. Even level crossings may delay you. Per Akroy's travelogue, the NH was around 50 to 70 kms longer (don't remember the correct figure), but he could drive at speeds of 120 or so on his Alto.
As reg AP tourism cottages at Rusihkonda, there are around 8 of them, and getting accomodation is fairly easy, unless on a weekend.
If you don't get it, then you have a Yatri Niwas near the beach at Vizag, and also a YMCA.
Old 8th August 2007, 13:39   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Hi!
if you have interest you can visit Golconda fort, charminar, Kutub shahi tombs and of course great Falaknama Palace, Salarjung museum. they are worth seeing
@rkg - Falaknama Palace was not in the list that I had prepared . Thanks a lot for the inputs.
Old 8th August 2007, 13:43   #36
Team-BHP Support

Ok... an important note for you. When you fill up before you leave Kolkata do not forget to take a bill that clearly shows the date and the address of the pump. Better still if you have two such for various dates. The reason is that today at Kukatpally and Hi-Tec signal I found the normally lethargic traffic cops were segregating and taking all Non-AP cars aside. Seems like a new drive. So you better carry some proof that you are a visitor here.
Old 8th August 2007, 13:45   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Not to forget all the food you can wolf down. After Kolkata this has to be the next city for the Foodies (or maybe even equivalent to Kolkata).
That has to be the most tempting thing about the trip apart from the long drive
Old 8th August 2007, 13:46   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok... an important note for you. When you fill up before you leave Kolkata do not forget to take a bill that clearly shows the date and the address of the pump. Better still if you have two such for various dates. The reason is that today at Kukatpally and Hi-Tec signal I found the normally lethargic traffic cops were segregating and taking all Non-AP cars aside. Seems like a new drive. So you better carry some proof that you are a visitor here.
great advice Zappo... will surely do that. Thanks a ton.
Old 8th August 2007, 13:48   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

@Blackpearl, Welcome to Hyderabad. Is this your first visit to this city?

Amrutha Castle is a nice place, Rajiv Reddy, owner of this hotel has scouted entire germany from air to select an old gothic castle ( i bieleve germany is full of them) and selected this model for this hotel, from outside it is like an old european castle. However, the business ain't doing good like most of his ventures. I am a regular visitor to "Hare & Hound", their pub as good offers always on and i reckon only resturant in town with wooden floors

Imax, NTR Gardens, Lumbini Gardens, Birla Temple, Necklace Road are all within 1km range and some are a few hundered meters, so you can leave your car in the hotel and walk down to enjoy these places. As a matter of fact Birla Temple is right behind the hotel ( mebbe you can see it from hotel window)

Regarding the Punnami Resort in Rishikonda, check out this link for details and numbers and maybe it would be better if you call ahead and book it in advance, its really nice. Welcome to Andhra Pradesh Tourism - Official Website of the Department of Tourism, Government of Andhra Pradesh

I am out of town from this friday to next wednesday, Look forward to meeting you when your in Hyderabad. I will PM you my number and hope we can have a mini-meet when your in town after next wednesday.

Cheers and drive safe !

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th August 2007 at 13:49.
Old 8th August 2007, 13:51   #40
rkg
Senior - BHPian

check whether falaknama palace is open for visitors. earlier it was not open for general public. later there was a talk of it being converted to a star hotel.

recently i saw a news in TV which states that Chow mohalla palace is open for general public.

if you have time and inclination go to warangal from (it may not be of much diversion on the way to viziawada) for visiting Ramappa temples( 11 century, kakatiya dynasty construction) warangal is 120 Km from Hyd
Old 8th August 2007, 14:05   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am a regular visitor to "Hare & Hound", their pub as good offers always on and i reckon only resturant in town with wooden floors
Even Dublin has wooden floors
You are out of town? Where to? Another drive out kya?

He will be here for a week. So enough time to have everything. You come back, and we will see.

Last edited by Zappo : 8th August 2007 at 14:06.
Old 8th August 2007, 14:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

rkg---I have seen neither, though in Hyd for 5 years!

Last edited by vnabhi : 8th August 2007 at 14:22. Reason: missed text
Old 8th August 2007, 14:38   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even Dublin has wooden floors
You are out of town? Where to? Another drive out kya?

He will be here for a week. So enough time to have everything. You come back, and we will see.
Oops, not been to Dublin till date. Yes, Zappo, driving down to Goa again this friday , lot of people ask me if i have something going out there as i visit it so often . It aint decided yet, will be decided by tomorrow and will be back on tuesday or wednesday.

Do plan something out only after i come back, if possible.
Old 8th August 2007, 14:42   #44
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Hi! vnabhi
Falaknama was not open for public for long. it is one of the most beautiful palaces. it has one of the longest dining tables in the world( reportedly 100 persons can dine at once- iam not so sure about figures). i was in hyd for 7 years. i have also not seen it. around four- five years back i tried through a friend but did not succeed.

but regarding the chow mohalla palace i have seen the TV report stating it is open for public
Old 8th August 2007, 14:44   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
lot of people ask me if i have something going out there as i visit it so often . It aint decided yet, will be decided by tomorrow and will be back on tuesday or wednesday.
Whats not decided? Whether you have something nice going on there? haa haa haaaa... But then Hyderabad Goa drive is really marvellous. Amazing roads... the real fun of driving is here. I can not fathom making 850-900 kms in a day otherwise. By the way, did you try out the Karnataka waala route?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks