Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2007, 18:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

There's really only one hotel at Renukaji - HPTDC. Good, like most HPTDC 'deluxe' hotels.
Old 15th September 2007, 18:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Panky, there's only the HPTDC hotel at Renukaji. It's good enough, as most of the HPTDC 'deluxe' hotels are. You can also make booking on-line.

HPTDC - Online Hotels Reservation System

Sorry for the double post.

Last edited by anupmathur : 15th September 2007 at 18:38.
Old 16th September 2007, 01:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

I dont know how many of you know the history of the lake. They say Renuka was the wife of a sage (jamadgani, i think but not too sure) and she was very beautiful. Parsuram was their son. Once when Vishnu saw Renuka, fell in love and deceived her into sleeping with him by turning himself into the sage. When the sage found out he asked Parsuram to behead Renuka. He did and then washed his Farsa in that lake. Hence till date they say a dip will wash away your sins.
@JBL you can stay either @ renuka itself (Himachal Tourism) or go a little further to a place called Dadahu. Its a quaint little town on the banks of the Giri river. If you have the time you can come back via--Dadahu-Haripurdhar-Rajgarh-Solan-Chd route.
They have a very famous Renuka fair as well around Dusherra I think.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 16th September 2007 at 01:57.
Old 16th September 2007, 08:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Yes wanderernomad, that story one learns only from the pandits in the temples there. But what a peaceful place. And an really early morning walk around the lake has it's own rejuvenating power. Which is why I recommend staying at Renukaji itself and not Dadahu; unless one wants a hotel better than what HPTDC has to offer.
Plus there are many possibilities of getting off the road in the nearby areas and drive right upto the river for a little picnic, and a bit of good off-roading if you are driving a jeep.
And there's a small mountain road that goes from Renukaji to Paonta Sahib. Very nice scenic route.

Last edited by anupmathur : 16th September 2007 at 08:40.
Old 16th September 2007, 12:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

By anupmathur at 2007-09-16

By anupmathur at 2007-09-16

The HPTDC hotel at Renukaji. (very old photos)

Last edited by anupmathur : 16th September 2007 at 13:02.
Old 16th September 2007, 21:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Yeah but that road is spoilt by the stone querry trucks from Sataun. But yes a nice place for a weekend sojurn.
Old 17th September 2007, 17:07   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Yes wanderernomad, that story one learns only from the pandits in the temples there. But what a peaceful place. And an really early morning walk around the lake has it's own rejuvenating power. Which is why I recommend staying at Renukaji itself and not Dadahu; unless one wants a hotel better than what HPTDC has to offer.
Plus there are many possibilities of getting off the road in the nearby areas and drive right upto the river for a little picnic, and a bit of good off-roading if you are driving a jeep.
And there's a small mountain road that goes from Renukaji to Paonta Sahib. Very nice scenic route.
Sorry to differ, but the small mountain road that goes from Renukaji to Paonta Sahib (Via some Village named Chandani), is terrible, infact to call it Road is a crime in intself, its a path full of loose debries, stones with water flowing thru it at 5-6 places, the 29 km stretch is a torture in itself and I'd advise all to avoid it and travel via Nahan only.

I was there yesterday, travelling at a pathetic 20 km/hour for almost 2 hours on the road and praying that my tyre doesn't puncture. I was fortunate to have SX4 with 190 mm GC , other cars with lower GC will scrap their bottom all the way.

Please don't take that route to travel between Renuka & Paonta Sahib.
Old 18th September 2007, 10:19   #23
BHPian

sorry for the late enry again to the thread, I was very busy and will upload the photos soon. I agree with Shankyz, i also took the route through Chandni and believe, it was my worst tour, I done so many tracks in Himachal where the road does not exist, but it was the worst I have even come through. The whole of 30 km strech was without a existance of road. Due to rains the road was washed away and you can see after every 100 mtr water falls falling on the road , I have zen so i can not count how many time the bottom of it kissed the road, there were land slides after every turn and believe they were very long one and very scary. Every one including me in the car was praying for the car not to broke down or have a puncture. It took 4 hrs to cover the 30 km strech.No one spoke for full 4 hrs, can you imagine ladies sitting in the car for 4 hrs without uttering a single word. I could not come through any living thing even animals during this strech. So My advice is do not dare unless you want some adventure and ready to face any unplanned, unforeseen issues and have a vehical will big GC. Otherwise after reaching Renuka we enjoyed a lot, the weather was very nice it ws drizzling, we have a nive boat ride saw so may big fishes and turtles really big. I could not got any room in HPTDC, so went to bus stand which is 1 km from lake and got a room, which was so so, but due to weather we forgot everything and enjoyed it. Whle comming back i takken nahan, kala aumb route had lunch at Black mango resort, nice place.
Old 19th September 2007, 11:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

It's all a matter of choice, gentlemen. I happen to be a mountain lover - only driving, mind you, NOT mountaineering! And we always do our mountain trips as a family. My family is: Wife, 2 daughters and my aged mother. Other than the regular hill-stations, roads are conspicuous almost by their absence. And we've done almost everything Himachal (including Lahaul & Spiti), J&K (including Ladakh) and Kumaon have to offer, and much of Garhwal. We have enjoyed each of our trips immensely.
If that 30 kms 'scared' you, all I can say is Sorry. That rules out all the most exotic locations for you. Our himalayas have some absolutely wonderful places and to most of them there are no 'roads'. The only avenue open to you if you want to see them is to go by taxi or take the bus. But I have always believed that because many of those routes can be very risky, I should go in my own car driving myself. That is the safest.

Another strange little fact I would share with you: your car is more likely to have punctures here in Delhi (or Chandigarh) and it will invariably be a nail. On the worst of mountain tracks I've never had a puncture! There are no carelessly tossed nails there! My punctures (and I'm only speaking for myself here) have always only happened in Delhi.
Old 19th September 2007, 15:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I have always believed that because many of those routes can be very risky, I should go in my own car driving myself. That is the safest.

Another strange little fact I would share with you: your car is more likely to have punctures here in Delhi (or Chandigarh) and it will invariably be a nail. On the worst of mountain tracks I've never had a puncture! There are no carelessly tossed nails there! My punctures (and I'm only speaking for myself here) have always only happened in Delhi.

as always, completely agree with you anup saar

btw, elsewhere my punctures have happened within 250m of a puncture walaa only once in life has puncture happened such that there was no habitation in 15km

even in rann of kutch, nor on ladakh trip did any punctures surface

PS: coming this weekend to dhaba?
Old 19th September 2007, 19:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

[quote=phamilyman;569127] btw, elsewhere my punctures have happened within 250m of a puncture walaa

How true. I used to hear a lot about these 'induced' punctures. However, with the advent of tubeless tyres (and more traffic on our highways) this has reduced because a tubeless tyre will keep going many kilometres before becoming 'flat'.
Old 24th October 2007, 16:21   #27
BHPian

Here are the pictures for Renuka Trip. I got my digi destroyed by my daughter, so I used my Mobile camera for the memories
[img=http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7896/1108071829ms9.th.jpg]

[img=http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4845/1208070930aa7.th.jpg]

[img=http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5941/1108071832on1.th.jpg]

[img=http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1565/1208070935xy1.th.jpg]

[img=http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9399/1208071054vt5.th.jpg]
Old 24th October 2007, 17:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Bruty, thanks for sharing those photos!
I do hope you enjoyed your trip. Do post more details of how you went , the hotel etc... & which riute you took.
It will be of value to us.
I am planning a trip to Renukaji sometime this winter.
Old 25th October 2007, 16:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Bruty, thanks for sharing those photos!
I do hope you enjoyed your trip. Do post more details of how you went , the hotel etc... & which riute you took.
It will be of value to us.
I am planning a trip to Renukaji sometime this winter.
see my post #23, I took the rout through Chandni, but I will recomend you to take Kala Aub,nahan rout it is good and take less time.
I recommend staying at Renukaji itself and not Dadahu ( 1 km from the lake). Dadahu is the name of place with the local market and bus stand.
There is only one hotel at Renukaji ( on the bank of lake) and is HPTDC hotel, You can book online or they have office in CP. I recommend you to get the booking in advance.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks