Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2007, 15:04   #1
BHPian

Travel in monsoon Delhi-Nainital/Kausani?

I am planning to travel from Delhi to Nainital and from there to Kausani in the 2nd/3rd week of August. I have 2 questions.

1. What is the current state of the mountain roads?Are they easily navigable ?
2. Are the mountain views good at this time of the year or are they hampered?

Thanks
Old 11th August 2007, 17:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhap View Post
I am planning to travel from Delhi to Nainital and from there to Kausani in the 2nd/3rd week of August. I have 2 questions.

Thanks
Not specific to you query, but during the monsoon in any mountains you should be mentally prepared for landslides (noone can predict them) which can cause breaks in your route and yes, the mountains are more greener and bustling with nature.

Excess and continuous rains can also hamper a your plans for sightseeing/walk on the mall roads, not that I am discouraging you, but these are known.
Old 13th August 2007, 12:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Hey mrhap, the mountains are amazing during this season. I went to Dhanolti 2 weeks back, and it was like living in the clouds. The slopes were covered with lush greens everywhere we looked. Now coming to your questions:

1. The roads during our drive were easily navigable.
2. Mountain views could be hampered as there are chances of heavy fog because of all the clouds. Furthermore, there can be heavy rains which might keep you indoors. Luckily we didn't encounter rains while in Dhanolti, so I guess it's a question of luck!
Old 13th August 2007, 15:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Well

the Mountains in Nainitaal/Ranikhet are more prone to LandSlides than the mountains in Mussoorie/Shimla.

but on all hill stations u will see everything wet,wet and wet
might hamper ur sight seeing plans

also drive safe as its slippery more than expected at some places
Old 16th August 2007, 13:22   #5
BHPian

Thanks for your replies. I had heard that there are a couple of members from that area. I would like to know what is the situation on the ground currently?Have heard about heavy rains and landslides in Himachal and Uttarakhand.
Anyone knowing the current status for the Delhi-Nainital/Kausani route?
Old 17th September 2007, 13:44   #6
BHPian

Based on reports of bad roads, the trip was postoned for October 1st week. Anyone from the Nainital/Kausani area has an update on the road conditions from Delhi to Nainital?

Thanks
Old 17th September 2007, 16:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Delhi To Hapur - Good 4-lane toll road in good condition. Hapur to Gajraula - 2-lane road in terrible condition due to rains & widening work going on. Gajraula to Moradabad - Good road again 4-lane.

Now from Moradabad which route do you want to take to Nainital? Rampur-Rudrapur-Haldwani-Nainital or Thakurdwara-Kashipur-Ramnagar-Nainital?
Old 17th September 2007, 17:44   #8
BHPian

@iraghava in my opinion while travelling on higways, one should always look for & suggest a route which has good roads and facilities even if it means 5 to 10% increase in distance, but the comfort and drive more than make up for it.

So pls suggest the route that one should take which has good roads & facilities.
Old 18th September 2007, 16:10   #9
BHPian

Yes i agree, please tell the proc and cons of the 2 routes. That will help all of us decide which route to take.

Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 15:19   #10
BHPian

Re: Travel in monsoon Delhi-Nainital/Kausani?

I am planning a road trip to Nainital. Planning to start off this Friday night around 10 pm and reach Nainital 7-8 am. Can anyone please confirm the road conditions of the highway from Delhi to Nainital,

When I went on this route 3 years back, it was broken badly at various places, only good patch was the 4 lane NHAI patch of 10-15 kms
Old 4th July 2011, 15:49   #11
BHPian

As on 9th June 2011
Delhi To Hapur - Good 4-lane toll road in good condition.
Hapur to Garhmukteshwar - Mostly 2-lane road & widening work going on.
Garhmukteshwar (After crossing the bridge) to Moradabad - Fantastic road (toll) 4-lane.
Old 4th July 2011, 16:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

My friend who went last week says roads are bad in the Bhimtal-Almora sector.
Which road from Moradabad are you planning to take? Is the Bazpur route OK (was very bad sometime ago) or is it still the Ramnagar route?
Old 5th July 2011, 13:05   #13
BHPian

Just back from a Noida-Nainital-Chiliyanaula trip over the last weekend and road conditions are good. If taking the Moradabad - Bazpur route, go via Kashipur instead of Tanda one as the later is very bad. Kashipur route is pretty decent and after Bazpur, road's good all the way till Nainital & Ranikhet. Just a couple of very short broken patches, but nothing to worry about.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

from last week:
It was good. We experienced a traffic jam in Rampur and little beyond in Udham Singh Nagar. Road condition is OK except for a few potholes in Bhimtal.

/via a relative
Old 17th July 2011, 22:08   #15
akp
BHPian

Planning a weekend trip to Ranikhet in the middle of August. I am new to these parts. I would like to know the following:
  1. GoogleMap shows one route that goes via Moradabad, Kaladhungi and Nainital and is about 350km. What are the route options after Moradabad? And how do they compare with the above route in terms of road surface, scenic beauty etc? In particular, is there any route that goes right through the Corbett Park?
  2. Is a 11:30/12 (night) start from Delhi safe? Idea is to hit the mountains early in the morning. Are the roads till Moradabad dual carriageway?
  3. Good stay options in Ranikhet, say, in the range 1500-3000 per night.
Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed