Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2007, 22:05   #1

Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

I need to drive from Mumbai (Bombay in Maharashtra) to Kochi (Cochin in Kerala) in a MERCEDES E 200 CDI. This is the first time I'll be taking this route, kindly help out with the best and fastest route I can take. The distance and time it would take, places to stop to freshen up and refuel would be a great help as well. Are there any specific precautions I need to take because of the monsoons?

Last edited by Zappo : 11th August 2007 at 23:59.
Old 12th August 2007, 00:32   #2
BHPian

Best and most scenic route will be NH17 all the way.
Fastest may be GQ NH4 and taking diversion and joining NH17 somewhere in Karnataka.

PM hvkumar ...he is most knowledgeable here about all NHs and places for rest on highways
Old 12th August 2007, 09:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Fastest route:

Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Hubli (excellent road part of completed GQ)

From Hubli take right turn on NH63
Hubli - Yellapur - Ankola (NH63 meets NH17 at Ankola), take left from here
Ankola - Kumta - Honnavar - Bhatkal - Kundapur - Udupi - Mangalore - Kasaragod - Cochin all along the Coastal Highway...

Facilities like A1 Plaza are there in NH4, are you driving continuously or do you plan a night halt?
There is a Kamat immediately reaching NH17 from NH63 (you can plan your lunch here accordingly)

Abhi
Old 12th August 2007, 10:30   #4
BANNED

This seems to becoming a frequently asked question. Please see
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...oa-accent.html

You stop at Ernakulam; and if you prefer to drive during night, schedule to reach/start from Southern parts of Karnataka (Mangalore / Udupi) late evening so that you reach Ernakulam at Early morning. Edappally is the point / junction where you will enter Ernakulam, since you will follow NH17 throughout Kerala.
Expect horrible roads if you are coming within next 2 months (before end of September)
Old 12th August 2007, 13:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ridin Hood View Post
I need to drive from Mumbai (Bombay in Maharashtra) to Kochi (Cochin in Kerala) in a MERCEDES E 200 CDI. This is the first time I'll be taking this route, kindly help out with the best and fastest route I can take. The distance and time it would take, places to stop to freshen up and refuel would be a great help as well. Are there any specific precautions I need to take because of the monsoons?
All depends on when you are driving down. Roads will be much improved after the rains end in September - many stretches are in tatters right now. But Abhi's route may be a good one although there are several bad stretches in Kundapura-Mangalore-Kasargod-Kannur. On Nh17, in Maharahstra roads are bad between Panvel and Mahad.

Maybe the fastest (and best road conditions) will be NH4 till Bangalore, then NH7 till Toppur, SH toBhavani and NH47 all the way via Coimbatore. This means a distance of 1050+330+200 or approximately 1580 ksm which is around 100 kms longe rthan NH17. You can be very fast from Bombay to Bangalore (my time 12.5 hours), Bangalore-Coimbatore (5/6 hours) and Coimbatore-Ernakulam (4 hours), with liberal allowances for bypassing Bangalore (1 hour in late night), and some allowance for bad roads between Coimbatore, palakkad and Trissur.

The secret to reaching there fast is to take Bombay-Bangalore by day and continuing beyond to reach by late night (my time to Kochi on NH17 non-stop is only 21 hours).
Old 12th August 2007, 13:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Maybe the fastest (and best road conditions) will be NH4 till Bangalore, then NH7 till Toppur, SH toBhavani and NH47 all the way via Coimbatore. This means a distance of 1050+330+200 or approximately 1580 ksm which is around 100 kms longe rthan NH17. You can be very fast from Bombay to Bangalore (my time 12.5 hours), Bangalore-Coimbatore (5/6 hours) and Coimbatore-Ernakulam (4 hours), with liberal allowances for bypassing Bangalore (1 hour in late night), and some allowance for bad roads between Coimbatore, palakkad and Trissur.

The secret to reaching there fast is to take Bombay-Bangalore by day and continuing beyond to reach by late night (my time to Kochi on NH17 non-stop is only 21 hours).
I second that. NH17 is scenic and terrific when the road is in good condition, but if its anything less than good then it can be a nightmarish experience. The highway itself is narrow, and the drive through Goa can take forever. Once you hit Kerala, NH17 is the main road for innumerable towns and most cities on the way.

I'd suggest exactly the route hvk has recommended, with the same sort of timeframes. Hit Bangalore by nightfall and continue driving at night. That way you skip most of the day traffic in Kerala too.
Old 2nd September 2007, 20:17   #7

Thank You

Thank you so much for all the wonderful advise, only no none of you suggested any good places to eat and I ended up with a tummy bug. I took the picturesque route suggested by Mr H.V.Kumar. It was an experience none the less and I wouldn't want to miss it for anything. Thanks a ton once again, you all have been very kind and helpful.
Old 2nd September 2007, 20:54   #8
BANNED

Quote:
... only no none of you suggested any good places to eat and I ended up with a tummy bug. ....
Please accept my heartiest condolences!!!

Though I also tend to ask around "what place to eat" while in unfamiliar territory, do realise different hotels behave differently at different times of the day. I have seen some places remaining closed for several days altogether, only to find that they function full time during the night!!! And a "good place" for somebody driving a <random make><random model> is not likely to look like a good place for somebody driving a Merc. No offence meant, but I really will think twice before recommending any place - even if it is my regular haunt - to anybody who I have not even met.

Again, what counts is what you eat, rather than where you eat from. My motto - take as little as possible (hmm... I have "reserve" for 5 or 6 days!!!) and only veg. And no fries - puri, battura, samosas etc. unless they are frying it in your presence and the oil seems acceptable. Again, some places serving excellent b'fast may serve horrid dinners.
And some places serve a particular dish, and eating anything else from there tends to be disappointing. There is a joint opposite the Indian Coffee House at Caltex Junction in Kannur, which has excellent chicken fry / chilly; with porotta/chappaty / ghee rice to go with, and little else. This place is frequented by coolies, and how can I recommend this to a guy driving down in a merc?

OTOH, It will be a good idea to post your cuisine, route and itinerary from your log book. Strictly in that order!!!!
Old 2nd September 2007, 22:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Bad that you got into trouble with food. I seldom eat outside on short trips (meaning my non-stop one-destination trips), prefrrring to carry my own - fresh fruits, dry fruits, biscuits, khakras, etc - maybe a little bland but very safe. During my long-duration trips (multi-destination), I eat very little during teh day, settling dow for a modest dinner - food without toomuch oil, spice, adventure - maybe I lose out on some food trips, but land back home safe.
Old 2nd September 2007, 22:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for all the wonderful advise, only no none of you suggested any good places to eat and I ended up with a tummy bug. I took the picturesque route suggested by Mr H.V.Kumar. It was an experience none the less and I wouldn't want to miss it for anything. Thanks a ton once again, you all have been very kind and helpful.

Will appreciate your commentary on the road conditions. Useful for all of us in planning our trips.
Old 9th May 2011, 20:27   #11
BHPian

Re: Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi

@Best Route From Mumbai To Kochi
Anybody pls reflect on this route by lately, after GQ completed.

I travel by mid June, hope Kochi-Bangalore-GQ-Mumbai is fastest than NH 17.
But I need to touch Goa.

1. From Kochi entry point to GQ ?
2. Entry point to Goa from GQ from both sides(Bangalore/Mumbai sides)
3. On Innova or Scorpio fairly fast driving what duration Bangalore Mumbai or even upto Chandigarh(towards Darchula...)

Old 9th May 2011, 21:18   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post

But I need to touch Goa.

3. On Innova or Scorpio fairly fast driving what duration Bangalore Mumbai or even upto Chandigarh(towards Darchula...)

I have no idea about the route but since you have asked this, let me share some updates. My family friend bought an old S class Merc(guess around 15-20 yrs old model) and drove it from Mumbai to Kochi last week. All I know is that he took around 28 hours to reach here.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 9th May 2011 at 21:19.
Old 9th May 2011, 23:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But I need to touch Goa.

Best route from Bombay to Kochi is via Bangalore (NH4-NH7-NH47), which means the route is:
Bombay-Pune-Satara-Karad-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Dharwad-Hubli-Haveri-Harihar-Davangere-Chitradurga-Tumkur-Nelamangala-NICE Road (to bypass Bangalore)-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Toppur-Omalur-Salem-Sankari-Bhavani-Avinashi-Coimbatore (bypassed)-Palakkad-Trissur-Kochi.

You can ideally stop over in either Chitradurga or Bangalore on Day 1 and reach Kochi teh enxt day.
The entire drive will be on 4-laned roads except fro Avinashi-Palakkad-Trissur section.

Kochi connects to GQ at Salem.

If you want to return via Goa (and want to avoid Goa-Bombay via Chiplun), then take NH17-NH4A-NH4:
Kochi-Kodungallur-Chavakkad-Kunnamkulam-Edapal-Calicut-Wadakara-Mahe-Talaserry-Kannur-Payyanur-Kasargod-Mangalore-Udupi-Kundapura-Baindur-Bhatkal-Murudeshwar-Honavar-KUmta-Ankola-Karwar-Madgaon-Panaji (Goa)-Ponda-Molem-Anmod-Ramnagar-Belgaum-Kolhapur-Pune-Bombay

Traffic will be terrible by day on Kochi-Managlore, and can become worse during peak hour from there till KUndapura.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 08:06   #14
BHPian

I completely agree with NH4 route. Just reached Pune last night from Cochin. Roads in Karnataka are very good. All 4 Lanes roads, with minimum traffic. Couple of railway over bridges still in progress after Devangare.
Old 10th May 2011, 08:59   #15
J.Ravi

Quote:
fairly fast driving what duration Bangalore Mumbai
You can also consider this shorter and picturesque route with very less traffic: Kochi-Thrissur-Palakkad-Coimbatore-Sathyamangalam-Bannari-Dhimbum-Chamarajnagar-Kollegal-Kanakapura-NICE Road-Nelamangala-Tumkur-Hubli-Belgaum-Kolhapur-Pune-Mumbai [NH47/209/4]. I left my Bangalore home by 4:30 pm and reached Andheri [East] at 6:30 am the next day in my FIAT Linea with two breaks.
  (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks