Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2008, 00:03   #481
Senior - BHPian

spadival have you tried srilankan? They are quiiite cheap.
Old 29th August 2008, 19:13   #482
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately, Srilankan does not fly to Australia.
Old 3rd September 2008, 22:28   #483
BHPian

Just posting my experience:

For Singapore, Malaysia
Malaysian Airlines: 4/5 Stars

Beats Singapore Airlines on price. Staff courteous. Nice jets with updated movies.

For US: Boston via Paris, France
Never try Air France. Never. Period. Horrible staff, horrible aircrafts, horrible airport, horrible food. Horrible experience overall.

--
For Vegetarians when flying abroad: There are different types of Vegetarians. Never fill plain - veggie as an option. You'll get to eat dogfood. There's an Indian Vegetarian option. If that's not there - pray and hope the airline has sufficient vegetarian indian travellers. For instance, malaysian carries Indian Vegetarian Food. Singapore does as well - BUT if you're taking a connecting flight [say Paris-Boston] forget having a vegetarian meal.
Old 4th September 2008, 15:53   #484
Team-BHP Support

Snakes on a plane

Snake on an Air India plane-Delhi-Cities-The Times of India

Air India's new campaign.
Come to the land of snake charmers

Quote:
NEW DELHICrew on an Air India passenger jet discovered a snake coiled up under a seat and were unable to catch it as it slithered around the plane, the airline said on Thursday.

The snake was disturbed during a routine check on the Air India A319 aircraft, which had landed at Delhi airport after a domestic flight from Srinagar.

It evaded capture by slipping into an air vent and could not be found even when staff unscrewed panels inside the fuselage, opened all the doors and fumigated the plane.

"There was commotion which scared the snake and it went further inside," an airport official quoted.

Reports that the snake was a venomous cobra were denied by an Air India spokesman.

"The aircraft was parked at Delhi airport for maintenance purposes. There was a snake but not a cobra," he told.

"We have no details of what kind of a snake it was, or where it is now. We have taken up this matter with Delhi airport authorities."

He denied reports that the snake had caused the plane to be grounded or that its next flight, to Mumbai, had been delayed.

The incident, which occurred on Monday, echoed the plot of 2006 hit film "Snakes on a Plane" starring Samuel L Jackson and Julianna Margulies.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 4th September 2008 at 15:55.
Old 4th September 2008, 15:58   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Air India's new campaign.
Come to the land of snake charmers
Whats happening?

Did they checked the visa status of the snake Hope it came in with a valid documents.
Old 4th September 2008, 16:45   #486
BHPian

My experience ->bangalore to texas via heathrow.

bangalore to heathrow - BA - buisness class. Great service , comfortable seats. but food wasnt all that great. The indian hostess was really sweet but to the foreigners.
heathrow to chicago - AA - economy. Cramped flight. Service was delectable . The hostesses were probably mid 40's and somehow got a feeling that indian's are not really welcome. One of my humble requests for a coke went unattended.
chicago-DFW - AA domestic- pathetic rude staff. served pretzels for snacks . One hostess was busy catching up on gossip with her friend

on the way back the same but heathrow to bangalore BA economy- real snooty hostesses and stewards. Food was not that great. Dont have any fond memories in this entire trip except for the initial bangalore to heathrow buisness class.
Old 4th September 2008, 19:04   #487
Senior - BHPian

BA and AF (Air France) stewards are known for their snotty attitude!

Better to fly with Jet or Kingfisher (they will be starting US flights soon!).
Old 4th September 2008, 19:18   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
BA and AF (Air France) stewards are known for their snotty attitude!

Better to fly with Jet or Kingfisher (they will be starting US flights soon!).
On a different note, why do Asian Airlines have better staff ? I've flown a lot of Cathay, Air India, Malaysian, Singapore, Qatar - and found NONE of the staff to be half as bad as American, BA, Qantas or Air France. I had a friend in Malaysian Airlines who wouldn't even talk to me on flight because of Airlines rules !

I've never heard sterward/sterwardess' talking/gossiping in Asia the way they do in the west. Can't figure out why.
Old 6th September 2008, 01:59   #489
BHPian

Continental Airlines - BOMBAY - NEWARK - CHARLOTTE
I booked this flight as it was a direct one and had the cheapest fare.They have recently upgraded their fleet.It took off a little late but still managed to reach Newark on the scheduled time of arrival.The 777 is quite good and has ample leg room.Good indian food was served throughout the flight.Alcoholic drinks cost 5 dollars.The best thing I liked about the flight was very friendly air hostesses and good Inflight entertainment.I really didn't feel any jet lag even after flying 16 hours.I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to save their time on halts and saving so much hassle
Old 8th September 2008, 07:43   #490
BHPian

Which would be the best airline (luggage allowance+VFM) wise for travelling on the DEL-LHR route ?

Which airline has the best student fares and luggage allowances on this sector ?

Oh and my contribution to this thread

Sector-> Delhi-Bangalore
Carrier-> JetLite
Advice- Avoid at all costs. Antiquated and improperly maintained airline which is consistently impunctual.

Last edited by revvedup : 8th September 2008 at 07:48.
Old 8th September 2008, 07:54   #491
BHPian

My Exp.. DEL-ORD Ameican airlines

They are absolutely hopeless, They gave me somebody elses' boarding pass because of which i was stuck in immigration at DEL airport. Finally the flight was delayed by 20 minutes because they had to expain to the Delhi airport authorities how they made a mistake in giving boarding passes. Anyway was nonstop and kinda liked flying nonstop. Horrible movies and the stewardesses look like they are from a horror movie

My classmate came by Aeroflot and he told that they didn't even have an inflight entertainment system for newyork-moscow route
Old 8th September 2008, 11:33   #492
Senior - BHPian

My experience with Yatra while booking an international ticket. They are not exactly the cheapest, but Travelocity which had some special offers for my sector was always showing some error message when I tried to book tickets.

So I took my business to Yatra. Everything went on fine, I booked 2 tickets online and Rs 93K was debited from my bank account. But when it came to sending the e-tickets, all I got was a silly email from Yatra saying that my e-tickets will be sent to me within 3 working days, provided I send an authorization letter for the credit card (which I never used for the transaction!!). There was also some mild threats about yatra not being able to keep the fare promised if I didnt send authorization letter and copy of visas within 24 hours.

All this when they have already taken the Rs 93k from my bank account !! Luckily, since I already had the visa stamped, I emailed them a scanned copy of the visa. After a couple of hours, I got an automated reply saying they are looking into the issue and gave me a tracking number.

Decided enough was enough and shot off an email to the CEO and one of the co-founders of yatra. And I got a faster reply from the CEO than from the automated response.. LOL !! Dont know if it was because of their intervention, but I got the e-tickets couple of hours later.

Good service and good ticket rates overall, but I would appreciate it, if they had stated all these conditions about 3 business days delayed delivery etc etc BEFORE I booked the tickets and definetely BEFORE they debited my bank account !!

Last edited by spadival : 8th September 2008 at 11:37.
Old 8th September 2008, 15:25   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Which would be the best airline (luggage allowance+VFM) wise for travelling on the DEL-LHR route ?

Which airline has the best student fares and luggage allowances on this sector ?
Frequent flyers please answer the above query.
Old 8th September 2008, 15:50   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post

Im not a frequent flier to LHR but i read an advt. few weeks back of British Airways - in which they did mention they allow some extra limit for students to London. Do check it with BA.
Old 8th September 2008, 18:44   #495
BHPian

with Air india you could carry 3 pieces of check in luggage on a student visa. Air india is pretty cheap too

Most Viewed