Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2013, 23:25   #871
Team-BHP Support

Re: A YetiGuideŽ to Airlines, Airports and Domestic Air Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
While booking a flight from Bangalore to Delhi, I found out that BLR-DEL-IXC was cheaper (by Rs. 1000) than a BLR-DEL flight for the same day.

So what would happen if I booked a BLR-DEL-IXC flight but got off at Delhi? I do not plan to have any checked-in baggage.
You will not be permitted to get off the flight at Delhi. Most probably.

I was in a similar situation when I wanted to book a flight to Coimbatore from Bombay and found out that Bombay-Coimbatore-Calicut flight was cheaper than a BOM-CJB flight. I thought I could get down at CJB, save me some money and dropped the customer support of the airline a mail (did not intend to have any check-in baggage either) but they responded saying they do not let the passenger(s) get down during the stopover. This was Indian Airlines IIRC.

But please send a mail to the customer support and find out first.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th November 2013 at 23:28.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 23:40   #872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
You will not be permitted to get off the flight at Delhi. Most probably.

I was in a similar situation when I wanted to book a flight to Coimbatore from Bombay and found out that Bombay-Coimbatore-Calicut flight was cheaper than a BOM-CJB flight. I thought I could get down at CJB, save me some money and dropped the customer support of the airline a mail (did not intend to have any check-in baggage either) but they responded saying they do not let the passenger(s) get down during the stopover. This was Indian Airlines IIRC.

But please send a mail to the customer support and find out first.
The flight I'm planning on booking has a layover of 10 hours, with both legs having different flight numbers. I'm assuming I'll be waiting for 10 hours at the airport, and that I should be able to leave during that time.

I talked to the customer care but, obviously they say that a modification fee and a fare difference would be charged.

Even logically speaking, I can cite an emergency and they can't force me to be in the airport for 10+ hours. Let's see how it goes.
Old 27th November 2013, 07:02   #873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While booking a flight from Bangalore to Delhi, I found out that BLR-DEL-IXC was cheaper (by Rs. 1000) than a BLR-DEL flight for the same day.

So what would happen if I booked a BLR-DEL-IXC flight but got off at Delhi? I do not plan to have any checked-in baggage.
If you check in on the DEL-IXC sector but do not board the aircraft you may cause a security scare and possibly hold up and inconvenience a whole lot of people for no reason. So please try and avoid this.

Edit: Since they are different flights 10 hours apart please do not check in on the second flight. You will then be treated as a no show and there should be no security implications.

Last edited by noopster : 27th November 2013 at 07:05.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 09:11   #874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you walk off and are not caught, then the passenger count for the subsequent flight will not add up. The FA will report it to the ground staff. They will do a proper roll-call, and identify you as the missing passenger. The ground staff will verify if you have checked-in baggage, and give the plane clearance to take-off if not and take measures to off-load your baggage otherwise.

You might be approached later by some investigating agency, but you are fully within your rights to walk-off so you don't have a thing to worry about. The airline might trouble you if you had checked-in baggage, and might even blacklist you.

My advise will be to tell the flight staff and even make up a reason to walk off (emergency situation at home/work, personal health reasons including the politicians' favourite, "chest pain"

If it is a connecting flight, just walk off. Even if you have a boarding card issued at the original boarding point, you are not counted among the passengers until you show up at the departure checkpoint of the intermediate airport. This situation is akin to someone who did web-checkin and has a self-printed boarding card. The airline wouldn't take your baggage on board until they have confirmation that you are at the airport.

Last edited by binand : 27th November 2013 at 09:28.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 11:57   #875
BHPian

Need help in booking a flight in Indigo

Hi Guys,

Need your inputs on making a booking on Indigo.

We wanted to travel to DIB from BLR in the month of April-May. Have trusted Indigo for their connectivity to DIB.

But recently, it appears that they made some changes within their reservation system.

As you can see in the picture attached, we can directly make a booking from BLR to DIB in the month of "March" [ To and Fro ]

But when we change the booking to "April", the listing doesn't appear !

Now, being a software guy, wanted to debug the system, hence explored the choice of independent booking from BLR to CCU, and CCU to DIB in "April"

Bingo, what do we have in here. We can make the bookings "independently" for the "same" flights instead of a direct booking from BLR to DIB, as we could do in "March".

Now the negative aspect is your cost goes up by 50% with independent bookings.

Wanted to know if Indigo made any changes so that we cannot make booking direct from BLR to DIB ?

Any thoughts on the same would be highly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
A YetiGuideŽ to Airlines, Airports and Domestic Air Travel-indigo_flight_query.jpg  

lambuhere1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 13:54   #876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
As you can see in the picture attached, we can directly make a booking from BLR to DIB in the month of "March" [ To and Fro ]

But when we change the booking to "April", the listing doesn't appear !
That is probably because the winter schedules end on 29/3 and summer schedules start on 30/3. The latter have not been approved yet by the regulators I guess.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 22:56   #877
Senior - BHPian

Guys

My uncle is flying down to Mumbai next month from SFO and is catching the early morning flight to Goa on the very next day. The gap of around 8 hours is too long to hang around in the airport. So he wants to know if there are any retiring rooms at Mumbai Airport. If so, how much do they charge? Any url for booking in advance?

This apart, does he need to travel some distance between the International arrival section to the domestic departure section?

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th February 2014, 12:53   #878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi

My uncle is flying down to Mumbai next month from SFO and is catching the early morning flight to Goa on the very next day. The gap of around 8 hours is too long to hang around in the airport. So he wants to know if there are any retiring rooms at Mumbai Airport. If so, how much do they charge?
There are plenty of hotels just adjacent to the domestic airport. Bawa International and Orchid are two that come to mind. Go to any travel portal and filter by hotels near the Santa Cruz airport.

I doubt Mumbai has a transit hotel. Since the international and domestic terminals have separate entry he will need to come out of the intl (Sahar) terminal and re enter later at the domestic (Santa Cruz) side. If his transit time were shorter than 8 hours he could take a transit shuttle which travels along the runways and significantly cuts down travel time.

Talk to the hotel he books and arrange for airport pickup and drop. It will save him the hassle of queuing up for a taxi etc.
Old 28th February 2014, 16:10   #879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys

My uncle is flying down to Mumbai next month from SFO and is catching the early morning flight to Goa on the very next day. The gap of around 8 hours is too long to hang around in the airport. So he wants to know if there are any retiring rooms at Mumbai Airport. If so, how much do they charge? Any url for booking in advance?

This apart, does he need to travel some distance between the International arrival section to the domestic departure section?

Thanks in advance.
ITC Maratha and Intercontinental Grand are great options and they are very near from the International Airport.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 16:23   #880
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @noopster and Silverwood. Looks like the terminals in Mumbai are still the same as they were a decade ago, when I returned from a short trip to UK. I was under the impression that a new, very modern terminal was opened recently for both domestic and international flights, but I guess I was misinformed.

Thanks for the hotel information. He does not want anything as grand as ITC, but a budget hotel will do. It is strange that there are no transit rooms at the airport. Hyderabad does have one that was used by mobike008 for a modest fee of 900 for around 8 hours.

This apart, if his arrival from SFO is not late in the night, we have a close relative living at Juhu, that is just a 15 minute drive away. He can avoid hotel cost in that case. Let me find out his flight details.
Old 1st March 2014, 10:26   #881
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup, staying with a relative makes a lot of sense if there are budget constraints. But there are budget hotels in that area too if you look.

New terminals have opened for both domestic and international but the locations haven't changed. My pet peeve is that the authorities have named both the airports CSIA though in certain traffic conditions travelling between them could take an hour. Now that the elevated road to international (Sahar) airport has opened things may be a little better though.
Old 12th September 2014, 22:41   #882
BHPian

Re: United vs Air-India on BOM-EWR non-stop?

A senior citizen accompanied by an adult has to travel from Mumbai - Newark(non-stop) and the options are United or Air-India. Both fly, Boeing 777 wide bodied aircraft.

What would be a better choice? Could members advise on pros/cons of flying on these airlines?
Old 12th September 2014, 23:06   #883
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A senior citizen accompanied by an adult has to travel from Mumbai - Newark(non-stop)
If passenger is of Indian Origin , better use Air India . They use newer Aircraft and Seat Pitch is better besides choice of Indian Food . While returning the moment one steps in Air India Plane somehow I feel having reached home
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 09:43   #884
Distinguished - BHPian

A YetiGuideŽ to Airlines, Airports and Domestic Air Travel

United has the rudest crew on earth, but they will be efficient, and it also has very convenient timings from Bombay - you land at 5 am in Newark and beat the crowd at immigration. Also, it is much more reliable. If you are flying a United, please carry food with you - they serve dinner shortly after take off, and thereafter have only some snacks (even in business) until breakfast just before landing - so you starve for 14 hours. (Longer if you skip dinner having eaten before boarding)

Air India crew can vary a lot - if you are lucky, you will have a fantastic experience but if you are not, they can hopelessly incompetent. I don't trust their maintenance, and find their timings inferior as well - hence have stopped using them once the United flight started.

Last edited by Hayek : 13th September 2014 at 09:44.
Hayek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 10:56   #885
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
United has the rudest crew on earth, but they will be efficient, and it also has very convenient timings from Bombay - you land at 5 am in Newark and beat the crowd at immigration. Also, it is much more reliable. If you are flying a United, please carry food with you - they serve dinner shortly after take off, and thereafter have only some snacks (even in business) until breakfast just before landing - so you starve for 14 hours. (Longer if you skip dinner having eaten before boarding)
Agreed. Why they don't keep their passengers fed and watered is one of those eternal mysteries. Incidentally we flew United from Singapore via Narita to San Francisco a few years ago and the (largely Asian) crew was fantastic. Travelling with a small child so they made sure we were OK and even took the baby around when she was cranky. Just lucky I guess- return trip was an all-American crew that was extremely grumpy and did their best to pretend we didn't exist!
Quote:
Air India crew can vary a lot - if you are lucky, you will have a fantastic experience but if you are not, they can hopelessly incompetent. I don't trust their maintenance, and find their timings inferior as well - hence have stopped using them once the United flight started.
Funnily enough I have never travelled Air India for international- though used a couple of their red-eyes between Bangalore-Bombay back in the day. Have heard they feed you well.

Most Viewed