Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2016, 23:08   #946
BHPian

Re: A YetiGuideŽ to Airlines, Airports and Domestic Air Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Nope - split it into two pieces - they are pretty strict about that especially with heavily loaded flights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Please ask for Seat belt extensioners on the flight for the baby.
Thank you so much guys. You have pretty much covered all the aspects of it.
One more question, is there any restriction on carrying medicines to the flight? Like, doctor's prescription is mandatory for the medicines we carry or something like that?

Last edited by vpillai : 17th October 2016 at 23:09. Reason: .
Old 18th October 2016, 17:06   #947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post
Thank you so much guys. You have pretty much covered all the aspects of it.
One more question, is there any restriction on carrying medicines to the flight? Like, doctor's prescription is mandatory for the medicines we carry or something like that?
On domestic flights nobody cares as a rule. On international flights if the medicine is some sort of controlled substance (steroids, sleeping pills etc) you are well advised to carry a prescription. <- that would be good advice even on domestic flights, if only because most pharmacists that are not known to you over a long time won't sell for example sleeping pills without a prescription.
Old 10th December 2016, 19:34   #948
BHPian

Re: US Immigration Check at POE?

Are there any separate queue for green card holders with return permit at US Port of Entry/Immigration?

Also, heard the US immigration is done offsite for some gulf/middle east airports. Which are these airports/airlines?

Please advise.
Old 10th December 2016, 20:58   #949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Also, heard the US immigration is done offsite for some gulf/middle east airports. Which are these airports/airlines?

Please advise.
Etihad offers US immigration pre-clearance at Abu Dhabi. They claim there are one of "a handful" of non-American airports offering this facility.
Old 28th December 2016, 21:26   #950
BHPian

Re: Can we travel to US with 5 weeks validity passport?

Guys!

My flight from B'lore into US, is in another 5 hours.

Now, when i see the passport, it is getting expired in another 5 weeks.

Can I travel with a passport with a validity of a month?

Please advise.
Old 28th December 2016, 21:37   #951
Senior - BHPian

If your stay is short they might just let you in especially if you're a frequent traveler to the USA

You will find out soon when the airline allows you or doesn't allow you to board the flight - they will probably be more rigorous than the dhs official at immigration will be, because if a decision is taken not to allow you in, they are stuck with the bill of transporting you back to india as well as a fine.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 21:41   #952
BHPian

Quote:
If your stay is short they might just let you in especially if you're a frequent traveler to the USA

You will find out soon when the airline allows you or doesn't allow you to board the flight - they will probably be more rigorous than the dhs official at immigration will be, because if a decision is taken not to allow you in, they are stuck with the bill of transporting you back to india as well as a fine.
Thanks for the quick advise!

I am on a GC with a reentry permit which expires on 6th Jan. So, I should be in US before 6th Jan.

Passport expires on 30th Jan 2017.

Can i get my passport renewed in another 3-4 days?

Please help!
Old 28th December 2016, 22:28   #953
Senior - BHPian

Sure apply immediately for a tatkal or see if there is an open slot in the next few days, else walk in to a psk and request emergency renewal with a proof of this expiry and need to re-enter
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 23:10   #954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Etihad offers US immigration pre-clearance at Abu Dhabi. They claim there are one of "a handful" of non-American airports offering this facility.
Freeport Bahamas is another. I signed off my last ship there and the Immigration formalities were done there. At Miami we just walked in.
Old 28th December 2016, 23:16   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Sure apply immediately for a tatkal or see if there is an open slot in the next few days, else walk in to a psk and request emergency renewal with a proof of this expiry and need to re-enter
Airline says if a PR, one can travel with passport being valid on the day of arrival.

So going ahead, with that assurance.
Old 28th December 2016, 23:31   #956
BHPian

Hi, can anyone advise regarding Chinese airlines?

I'm trying to see if flying from Hyderabad to Philadelphia, USA, via China is a possibility.

There was a news item recently about how Chinese airlines are undercutting other airlines in price, hence the inquiry. Having searched the usual travel portals like makemytrip, kayak, etc., none of them mention any Chinese routes.

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th December 2016, 23:47   #957
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm trying to see if flying from Hyderabad to Philadelphia, USA, via China is a possibility.
It will be very long and Chinese are mostly good for the west coast, you can check deals for NY and then book a domestic ticket, direct connections may be expensive. Check if you can fly via Etihad and clear US immigration at Doha.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 23:51   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonarr View Post
Hi, can anyone advise regarding Chinese airlines?

There was a news item recently about how Chinese airlines are undercutting other airlines in price, hence the inquiry. Having searched the usual travel portals like makemytrip, kayak, etc., none of them mention any Chinese routes.

Thanks in advance.
You will get Chinese routes mostly from New Delhi. From Hyderabad, you have the possibility of going through Hong Kong.

However, Philadelphia is on the eastern side. Why would you want to go through China? You could do better going through Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha etc.

You could search across all airlines through ixigo.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 11:34   #959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
You will get Chinese routes mostly from New Delhi. From Hyderabad, you have the possibility of going through Hong Kong.
Thanks for the information and prompt reply, autorahul.

I am aware that flying from Hyderabad to Philadelphia via China is unusual, but this inquiry was on behalf of a close friend of mine. Time taken and distance traveled is not the primary concern for him, only cost.

I will check the ixigo website as well, but any other information, if any, is appreciated.
Old 29th December 2016, 12:36   #960
Senior - BHPian

Guys, does any international airport in India have luggage locker facilities, like the ones in railway stations? A friend of mine from the US was asking. He normally flies down to Hyderabad from Dulles airport, visits his friends all along the day, and takes a late flight to Vizag or some other place.

Per him, Hyderabad airport does not have the facility and he's forced to lug his luggage around with him. Last time he put his luggage in Secunderabad Railway station baggage counter as he was taking a night train.

The above question left me wondering if any airport in India has such a facility.

Most Viewed