Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2020, 16:32   #1066
Team-BHP Support

Re: A YetiGuide® to Airlines, Airports and Domestic Air Travel

Wow, there isn't a single post since 10 months. Aren't BHPians flying these days?

How is the flying experience in the covid era? I am thinking of taking a short flight. What is the protocol these days, how early we have to show up at the airport?
Old 14th October 2020, 07:12   #1067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Aren't BHPians flying these days?
I see everyday on CNBC some or the other saying that flying is safest as the air circulation and HEPA filters keep the virus out. Also, middle seats are kept vacant and masks are compulsory. Domestic flights are enforcing web check-in and baggage drops.

Even, I have to fly back to India, by end of the year. I am waiting for easing of quarantine restrictions in India.
Old 14th October 2020, 18:52   #1068
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I see everyday on CNBC some or the other saying that flying is safest as the air circulation and HEPA filters keep the virus out. Also, middle seats are kept vacant and masks are compulsory.
I'm a little bit doubtful. How can we be sure that airflow goes from another person's lungs to the AC intake without passing us on the way? Can't say that it might not be a safer alternative to, say, an AC railway carriage, but, personally, I don't fancy either for some weeks or even months ahead.
Old 19th October 2020, 07:15   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm a little bit doubtful. How can we be sure that airflow goes from another person's lungs to the AC intake without passing us on the way? Can't say that it might not be a safer alternative to, say, an AC railway carriage, but, personally, I don't fancy either for some weeks or even months ahead.
Good question. With what I know, the airlines are operating by checking for negative report on Covid19 at the check-in here in US. Also, masks are compulsory on board. I would NOT know what is the SOP in Indian airports.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 07:53   #1070
BHPian

Re: Flying into India.

What are the options for traveling from US into India now?
I was under the assumption ONLY 'Air-India'(Vande Bharat) is the carrier for flying into India. But now, I am hearing some folks traveling from US to India through 'British Airways' and also 'Emirates'.

Has any flown into India, recently. Could you please share your experience for the benefit of others.
Old 2nd December 2020, 23:49   #1071
Team-BHP Support

Well, tomorrow I am taking a flight for the first time since March. How early should I arrive at the airport (BIAL) considering the additional delays caused by the pandemic checks?
Old 3rd December 2020, 06:47   #1072
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How early should I arrive at the airport (BIAL) considering the additional delays caused by the pandemic checks?
Arrive at your usual time which is maybe 2 hours before departure? There’s a temperature check done at the entry before the departure gate and that’s pretty much it. I’ve been flying every month to Ahmedabad from Chennai and back.

I love the fact that I don’t have to take a printout of the boarding pass or ticket now. Just the one on the smartphone is sufficient. Baggage tags for check-in baggage require a printout.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 08:51   #1073
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Arrive at your usual time which is maybe 2 hours before departure? There’s a temperature check done at the entry before the departure gate and that’s pretty much it.
Thanks, I usually show-up just 60 minutes ahead of my flight. So, lines are not longer due to social distancing, etc.? Security guys still frisk, using PPE?

Quote:
I love the fact that I don’t have to take a printout of the boarding pass or ticket now. Just the one on the smartphone is sufficient. Baggage tags for check-in baggage require a printout.
I haven't printed the ticket in many years now. I just use the kiosk to print the boarding pass. But you are saying even boarding pass need not be printed if I have no check-in luggage? I can enter the flight just waving the smartphone?
Old 3rd December 2020, 08:55   #1074
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks, I usually show-up just 60 minutes ahead of my flight. So, lines are not longer due to social distancing, etc.? Security guys still frisk, using PPE?
Yep the CISF guys frisk as usual, wearing a complete cover over their head and the scanning tool fixed to a baton.

Quote:
But you are saying even boarding pass need not be printed if I have no check-in luggage? I can enter the flight just waving the smartphone?
Yep.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:07   #1075
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yep the CISF guys frisk as usual, wearing a complete cover over their head and the scanning tool fixed to a baton.

Yep.
Wow, so there is no security seal on the boarding pass after security check, which is usually checked 3 times before we board. Lots of changes to look forward to...
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:24   #1076
Team-BHP Support

Samurai, I forgot to mention. All the passengers have to wear a face shield and the ones sitting on seats B and E have to wear the PPE gown. Although there were many who didn’t.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:52   #1077
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Samurai, I forgot to mention. All the passengers have to wear a face shield and the ones sitting on seats B and E have to wear the PPE gown. Although there were many who didn’t.
Wait, who provides that? I didn't get any notification from the airline about face shield and PPE. I was planning to go just with a N-95 mask. I am on D seat though.
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:58   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wait, who provides that?
The Airline will provide it at no extra charge. On a recent flight, I had the misfortune of middle seat. Had to wear an overall.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 21:18   #1079
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
The Airline will provide it at no extra charge. On a recent flight, I had the misfortune of middle seat. Had to wear an overall.
Ok, I think the PPE thing has gone away. Everyone was only given face shield + mask + 4 sachets of sanitizer. This was Spicejet. No one in the aisle seat was wearing PPE.

Almost everyone in the security line had a printout, so I was wondering whether I should run back to get a printout. But it was not required.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 21:20   #1080
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wow, so there is no security seal on the boarding pass after security check, which is usually checked 3 times before we board. Lots of changes to look forward to...
Hyderabad airport had done away with this a long time back.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/64594339.cms

Most Viewed