Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 16:41   #571
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
There is an SIA flight to LA but it is 17 hours non stop. The plane will be yucky and you will be begging to stretch out halfway through. Try both options and decide
That is a killer flight for sure. I travelled on this route in 2004 and the onward flight had a halt at Tokyo while the return flight had a halt at Taipei. Singapore Airlines staff do everything to make you feel comfortable but you just wish there was another halt so that you can get out and stretch your legs.
Old 20th March 2009, 17:15   #572
Senior - BHPian

I haven't been travelling internationally for a couple of years now so my recent experience is a bit outdated. So, I wanted suggestion from you guys on this:

Need to Fly Del-Bos around end May, and options are either

Emirates: Del-Dxb-Bos
BA: Del-Lhr-Bos
Singapore: Bom-Sin-Lhr-Ny
Lufthansa: Del-Frankfurt-Bos

I don't like flights which are more than 8-8.5 hours long so direct flights are out. Plus, I would prefer landing at Boston itself rather than NY. What would you guys recommend?

P.S. I was rooting for BA since it makes it easier for me to stop over for a couple of nights in London and meet up with some friends there. But lots of horror stories around regarding BA, is it really that bad these days??

Last edited by iraghava : 20th March 2009 at 17:16.
Old 20th March 2009, 17:21   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I haven't been travelling internationally for a couple of years now so my recent experience is a bit outdated. So, I wanted suggestion from you guys on this:

I don't like flights which are more than 8-8.5 hours long so direct flights are out. Plus, I would prefer landing at Boston itself rather than NY. What would you guys recommend?

P.S. I was rooting for BA since it makes it easier for me to stop over for a couple of nights in London and meet up with some friends there. But lots of horror stories around regarding BA, is it really that bad these days??
If you are not comfortable with more than 8-8.5 hours flight then SQ and EK are straight out of the window. I personally don't like BA service unless your travelling Club Class, so will not suggest as well. That leaves only LH. But I would still suggest EK as their hospitality is awesome.
Old 20th March 2009, 19:36   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
There is an SIA flight to LA but it is 17 hours non stop. The plane will be yucky and you will be begging to stretch out halfway through. Try both options and decide
When i travelled recently from LA to Singapore, it was a 19 hour flight but there was a stop over at Tokyo-Narita (Or it usually stops at Seoul). So, i dont think it is 17 hour non-stop. Having said that, there are better routes on Lufthansa which are shorter, but i found the quality of service to be top class in singapore airlines.
Old 20th March 2009, 19:56   #575
Distinguished - BHPian

Ishan, take Lufthansa. Nothing spectacular about their service, but generally nothing yucky either.

We're going to the US this summer and we're going via Lufthansa too. MAin reason is because dad and me have frequent flier cards and the long journey is split almost equally into two halves.

FRA is almost midpoint. That seems to be the best option.
Old 20th March 2009, 20:55   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Ishan, take Lufthansa. Nothing spectacular about their service, but generally nothing yucky either.

We're going to the US this summer and we're going via Lufthansa too. MAin reason is because dad and me have frequent flier cards and the long journey is split almost equally into two halves.

FRA is almost midpoint. That seems to be the best option.
Perfect choice. I too usually prefer this LH. The only problem is we miss those in seat video in those SQ ones. I think except for those free coffee & newspapers in the airport, nothing much attractive[Wonder if they still have it in this recession times]. Whereas again, in Sing airport you get almost everything free. internet, foot massage, TV channels etc...
Old 20th March 2009, 23:06   #577
Team-BHP Support

Despite leaving me naked in SFO, BA ain't bad. The seat space is good and if you ae quick to check iin on line, you get the right seat.

T5 is good. Baggage gremlins have been sorted - just ensure weather is good else sysem breaks down when rerouting crisis happens

DXB is another option but you need to queue for a dump in DXB airport
Old 21st March 2009, 01:22   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My vote too, goes for LH. Remember the old 'fill it, shut it, forget it' ad for HH. Well, LH is something like that. FRA of course is a maze (with a very formidable security apparatus), but not worse than Indian roads.

You can try to bargain with LH for a free side-trip to London. Added bonus with flying LH is that the customs guys barely glance at you on your return.

Cheers and happy flying,
Old 21st March 2009, 03:02   #579
Distinguished - BHPian

I probably said this before, but no, I don't think BA is that bad! But I have no choice, for a direct flight to London from Chennai, so I haven't tried another for a while.

If you can raise the money, and it is a fairly substantial increase, fly BA's "World Traveller Plus". The extra seven inches of legroom, and slightly wider seats, really makes a difference.

Yes, T5 is great now. Much better than T4 was. Even boarding seemed relaxed.
Old 21st March 2009, 09:41   #580
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, need some urgent help!

My aunt and uncle were flying to France via BA(LHR) and they were not allowed to baord their flight in BLR as they didnt have a Visa for UK! They were going to be in the airport only for one and a half hours. But they werent allowed to board the aircraft!

Is this some new regulation introduced by Mr.Brown? They now have their complete trip in disarray.

Since I'm also going to the US next month via FRA, suddenly, I'm wondering if I need to apply for a transit Visa for Germany.
Old 21st March 2009, 09:52   #581
BANNED

Thats strange - while on route to US, I have landed in London many times. I don't have UK Visa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
My aunt and uncle were flying to France via BA(LHR) and they were not allowed to baord their flight in BLR as they didnt have a Visa for UK! They were going to be in the airport only for one and a half hours. But they werent allowed to board the aircraft!
Old 21st March 2009, 10:57   #582
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

id vote for ba since you want to stop over in london and meet your friends. they arent that bad and havent lost any luggage of mine the couple of times ive flown with them. and i agree with thad fly world traveller plus, its not as good as business but is much more comfortable than economy for the almost 9hr flight to london. ba does have a flight from london to boston. it is 6.5hrs.

another option is to fly jet to london and then fly onwards to boston on american airlines or ba.
Old 21st March 2009, 15:52   #583
Distinguished - BHPian

This I dislike about BA, but hey, the other airlines advertise similarly. They keep sending me mails; fly to London for Rs9900!

1. Of course this is before taxes and other additions, so actually represents about half the actual cost.

2. At the time I might actually want to travel to London, the price is 11,000-plus.
Old 22nd March 2009, 01:54   #584
Distinguished - BHPian

Supposedly there is a law which says that if you are flying into Europe via LHR, you need a transit visa. But if you are flying elsewhere, you dont need one. This doesnt make sense at all.

Can someone clarify? Thad?
Old 22nd March 2009, 11:41   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone clarify? Thad?
Sorry, no idea. When I fly to LHR it is always my final destination.

Generally, too, it is a bad idea to ask a citizen of a country about it's immigration/visa rules: I know far more about India's rules than I do about UK's, although we have had to get a visa for my wife to visit a couple of times.

Here's the website

Most Viewed