Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2009, 01:00   #601
Senior - BHPian

Long term facilities exist at many airports - but its WAY cheaper to take a cab.

In chennai - the train is decent too.

PS: With world class infrastructure, comes world class prices. So spider man once said. Or was it me. Never mind - u get the picture

Last edited by phamilyman : 12th April 2009 at 01:13.
Old 12th April 2009, 02:08   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

If I remember rightly, and I may not, the daily rate at Chennai is Rs50 (But is it daily? Or a number of hours? I've never been there for more than a few hours.

If a week was Rs350, that would be, for many users, only half (or less) of the return cab fare, especially as they hike the prices for cabs in the night, when international flights seem to arrive.
Old 12th April 2009, 07:15   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If I remember rightly, and I may not, the daily rate at Chennai is Rs50 (But is it daily? Or a number of hours? I've never been there for more than a few hours.

If a week was Rs350, that would be, for many users, only half (or less) of the return cab fare, especially as they hike the prices for cabs in the night, when international flights seem to arrive.
Its not that cheap. Way back in 2005-06 I used to park my car at the airport when undertaking same day return. That time the rate used to Rs 30/40 per 3 hours. They used to write down all your details in the register and you had to prepay. For same day returns(leaving at 6 am and returning by about 11pm) used to cost about Rs 200/-(way cheaper than cabs, for that matter of fact even auto's as well). But for a week wouldn't make sense if you are a proper Chennai resident.
Old 12th April 2009, 12:39   #604
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for that --- Just what we needed
Old 12th April 2009, 12:45   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thanks for that --- Just what we needed
You are most welcome
Old 12th April 2009, 13:40   #606
BHPian

This is a very informative thread. Regarding customs, tell me guys, if you are asked to pay duty on any item and you decide not to carry it along but leave it with them, do they give any confiscation receipt?
About a couple of years back, my parents carried a basic $150 video camera to India and customs people started harassing them for it. I know it was below the 25000, but my parents did not know such a clause so I think they had to argue a lot. I don't remember how they solved the matter but just wondering had they left that with customs would that be taken by officers or the department?
Old 12th April 2009, 13:54   #607
Senior - BHPian

thank you MileCruncher!
I guess I'll have to get the good old amby!

cheers
Old 13th April 2009, 23:35   #608
Senior - BHPian

I had a couple of questions.I'd appreciate any inputs on these :

1) I am on an EAD (work authorization document, one step before getting the Green Card) & Advance Parole(allows me to leave & enter the US on a valid status). I plan to visit B'lore in June, and will be flying Air France.
- Does anyone know if I would require a transit visa (won't be leaving the airport) ? My travel agent said she wasn't sure if I'd need one, but she brought this up when I was shopping around for tickets.

2) I haven't been to the new airport in B'lore. Are there things I need to be aware of, when I go through customs/ Immigration?

Thanks a lot!
Old 14th April 2009, 07:00   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Does anyone know if I would require a transit visa (won't be leaving the airport) ?

2) I haven't been to the new airport in B'lore. Are there things I need to be aware of, when I go through customs/ Immigration?

Thanks a lot!
I have flown AF a couple of weeks back. Chicago-Bangalore. No transit visa required in Paris.

Bangalore customs/immigration were surprisingly smooth!

Regards,
Old 14th April 2009, 07:29   #610
BHPian

Need help: My Aunty is going to Atlanta from Chennai in Luftanza airlines. There is a transit at Frankfurt. She is traveling alone and doesnt know English. I heard that few airlines (including Luftanza airlines) provide "Language Assistance" for travellers at extra cost. does anybody availed it? is it available in "Tamil"? Thanks in advance.
Old 14th April 2009, 08:45   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Perfect choice. I too usually prefer this LH. The only problem is we miss those in seat video in those SQ ones. I think except for those free coffee & newspapers in the airport, nothing much attractive[Wonder if they still have it in this recession times]. Whereas again, in Sing airport you get almost everything free. internet, foot massage, TV channels etc...
Just to update, LH has started certain flights (A330 I took last month from Delhi to Munich) with in-seat video. They have 8 or 10" screens now bigger than SIA economy class.
Video content, however, is rather limited compared to SIA (same case as AF and others).
As for Changi airport, no other comes even remotely close. It's just perfect wrt distances, service, costs, facilities.
Having flow LH quite a lot, its better than AF, KLM/NW and other Euro airlines mostly. The lack of a personal in-seat video was the major grouse, which they are, finally, fixing..
Old 14th April 2009, 09:38   #612
Team-BHP Support

I am flying SFO-LHR-BOM in the end of April. I have an 8 hour stopover in LHR for my flight connection and was wondering if there is ANY way by which I can get out of the airport for a couple of hours to breath free? I don't hold a UK visa and the UK consulate in LA wouldn't give me a visa without some documentation that I don't carry along.

Would it be good to walk over to the immigration officer with my flight ticket from LHR-BOM and request them to give me a breather for a couple of hours?
Old 14th April 2009, 10:16   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I am flying SFO-LHR-BOM in the end of April. I have an 8 hour stopover in LHR for my flight connection and was wondering if there is ANY way by which I can get out of the airport for a couple of hours to breath free? I don't hold a UK visa and the UK consulate in LA wouldn't give me a visa without some documentation that I don't carry along.

Would it be good to walk over to the immigration officer with my flight ticket from LHR-BOM and request them to give me a breather for a couple of hours?
UK being a hot spot for illegal immigrants, you can forget getting out of the Airport without visa, unless you are a US/EU/Australia citizen

Last edited by MileCruncher : 14th April 2009 at 10:22.
Old 19th April 2009, 13:43   #614
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone seen the Kingfisher's "Indi-fferent" ad designed to take on Indigo? Fricken awesome. Good point too
Old 22nd April 2009, 13:16   #615
BHPian

The Hindu : Tamil Nadu / Chennai News : Case against airlines

Quote:
CHENNAI: The Airport Police have registered a case against an airline for not offering breakfast and insulting four passengers including a sitting Judge of the Madras High Court.
According to police, the Judge, V. Regupathy, and six other passengers booked their flight in Kingfisher airlines from Madurai to Chennai on Monday. As the flight was cancelled, the passengers booked their tickets in Jet airways flight.
When the Jet airways authorities distributed breakfast, the same was denied to the passengers who were earlier booked by the Kingfisher airlines.
When the passengers demanded food, the airlines authorities said they were instructed not to serve food.
Following this one of the passengers Ashok Sarangan preferred a complaint with the airport police, who have registered cases under various sections of IPC. Further investigation is on, police added.
I'm suprised to hear that passengers are denied food! Anyone had similar experience?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks