Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2011, 13:18   #766
Team-BHP Support

Re: Domestic - International Transit @ Mumbai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Does travelling international (Paris - Mumbai) and taking a Mumbai - M'lore flight involve going to a different terminal @ Mumbai?

Somebody I know is travelling, and afaict, is yet to book tickets ATM.
It does, you need to

1: Ensure luggage is checked to final destination
2: Disembark and report to the transfer desk in the luggage claim area. Show your onward travel detailed. They will out oyu on a coach which travels around the airport concourse to the interantional terminal
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 13:18   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does travelling international (Paris - Mumbai) and taking a Mumbai - M'lore flight involve going to a different terminal @ Mumbai?
Yes.

But they do have free shuttle service every 30 mins from domestic to international airports and vice versa.

One needs to ask the ground crew upon landing and they will guide you to the nearest transfer point.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 17:00   #768
Senior - BHPian

Bom-hyd

Air India runs a service from bom to hyd on a flight number AI-050,dirt cheap tickets for most days,it is actually a international feeder flight,which means it brings to hyd all the passengers arriving from various intl locations and having onward reservations to hyderabad.lovely spacious aircraft,lovely food which is a case on all air india flights.

the only downside is that the check in at at the international terminal while the aircraft is parked in the domestic terminal,so its a big long ride
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 22:38   #769
BHPian

Quote:

Somebody I know is travelling, and afaict, is yet to book tickets ATM.
Yes. The International and domestic terminals in Mumbai Airport are apart. You will need to collect your luggage in Mumbai (even if it is tagged to the final destination), clear customs in Mumbai International Airport (Customs rule - Baggage to be customs cleared at first point of entry into India), and then proceed, with your luggage, to the domestic transfer area (do not exit the airport) from where there are internal coaches to the domestic airport.
revvhed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 11:44   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
Yes. The International and domestic terminals in Mumbai Airport are apart. You will need to collect your luggage in Mumbai (even if it is tagged to the final destination), clear customs in Mumbai International Airport (Customs rule - Baggage to be customs cleared at first point of entry into India), and then proceed, with your luggage, to the domestic transfer area (do not exit the airport) from where there are internal coaches to the domestic airport.
The last time I transited through Mumbai, Jet Airways had a domestic check-in desk at the transfer area of the international terminal (after customs clearance/before terminal exit). So if your domestic connecting flight was a 9W, you could hand over your luggage to their ground staff, collect your boarding card and take the inter-terminal coach (or not take it, as the case is) without that particular hassle.
Old 11th October 2011, 13:29   #771
Senior - BHPian

Re: A YetiGuide® to Airlines, Airports and Domestic Air Travel

Just a piece of information.Spicejet & Indigo have begun to serve hot meals at a price of INR200,there is a 20% discount on this if booked online at the time of ticketing.I must admit,the food is amazing in terms of quality and quantity.It comes with a complimentary juice/softdrink and has a sweet dish included.With this I guess the only plus point that Full Service Carriers(FSC) had over the LCC(Low Cost Carriers) stands negated.I for one would stick to the LCCs from now on and do a prebooked meal.Its better than paying a premium for a FSC.

Also Kingfisher has stopped Kingfisher Red(yes killed the LCC),so no more budget airlines for kingfisher.
Old 18th October 2011, 09:16   #772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Spicejet & Indigo have begun to serve hot meals at a price of INR200,there is a 20% discount on this if booked online at the time of ticketing.I must admit,the food is amazing in terms of quality and quantity.

With this I guess the only plus point that Full Service Carriers(FSC) had over the LCC(Low Cost Carriers) stands negated.I for one would stick to the LCCs from now on and do a prebooked meal.Its better than paying a premium for a FSC.

Also Kingfisher has stopped Kingfisher Red(yes killed the LCC),so no more budget airlines for kingfisher.
First of all, I don't think Indigo serves the food hot. I find the in-flight food ridiculously expensive, anyway. There is a thing called Indigo Plus that costs Rs. 600 and entitles you to a free meal among other things - isn't this what you are talking about?

I generally book the cheapest fare (avoiding certain airlines) and eat outside the airport. Most cost-effective It is criminal, the way airlines and airports charge for food & beverages.

In any case, the pluses that the FSCs claim include frequent flier programs, lounges access, connecting flights and transfers (LCCs are typically point-to-point), codeshares & alliances and a bunch of other things (not all are applicable in the Indian domestic scene).

About Kingfisher: Look up a report on the airline, titled "A Pie in the Sky" that has been in the news recently.
Old 30th November 2011, 09:37   #773
Team-BHP Support

I usually read Kindle while taking off or landing. I keep the wireless always off to conserve battery. So I it can't be a problem. Only once I have been asked to switch off. I simply do not understand why it is a problem. Looks like nobody does.

Here is a interesting article: Fliers Still Must Turn Off Devices, but It's Not Clear Why - NYTimes.com
Old 30th November 2011, 13:52   #774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I usually read Kindle while taking off or landing. I keep the wireless always off to conserve battery. So I it can't be a problem. Only once I have been asked to switch off. I simply do not understand why it is a problem. Looks like nobody does.

Here is a interesting article: Fliers Still Must Turn Off Devices, but It's Not Clear Why - NYTimes.com
Well not a great argument this one of mine,but since have been playing on the technical side of aircomms,the reason why they ask you to switch off the devices is because there is a very good chance that the wireless can get turned on by sheer chance(chances are more in the case of the latest touchscreen phones where a mere finger touch could do the trick!)Ofcourse the flip side to this is that even a switched off device can be switched on accidentally,but then I guess the probabilities are less.Airlines are just being cautious nothing more.Generally as a rule of law,almost all the cabin crew without exception would ask anybody to switch off all devices.Afterall its just a few minutes of inconvenience.I see people arguing with cabin crew saying the phone part of their phones are off and it is just the music that is playing-its a pointless argument imo.
Old 30th November 2011, 14:19   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well not a great argument this one of mine,but since have been playing on the technical side of aircomms,the reason why they ask you to switch off the devices is because there is a very good chance that the wireless can get turned on by sheer chance(chances are more in the case of the latest touchscreen phones where a mere finger touch could do the trick!)Ofcourse the flip side to this is that even a switched off device can be switched on accidentally,but then I guess the probabilities are less.Airlines are just being cautious nothing more.Generally as a rule of law,almost all the cabin crew without exception would ask anybody to switch off all devices.Afterall its just a few minutes of inconvenience.I see people arguing with cabin crew saying the phone part of their phones are off and it is just the music that is playing-its a pointless argument imo.
As one of those 1% people, I can tell you that in 2008 I took around 50 flights and I had 2 phones on me. I had a high probability of forgetting to switch off the second phone (simply because it would be inside the bag courtesy the security screening). of course, if I remembered, I would happily turn it off just as my primary phone - but I've been fairly forgetful/tired.

But the point is, for the sake of argument, I flew atleast 5 (or assume a number greater than zero) flights that year with a phone switched on inadvertently. And since its not my ghost writing this, we can take it that my (active at all stages of the flight) secondary phone didn't bring down any aircraft

Your underlined statement is relevant if the basic notion of cellphones interfering with avionics is established - which is exactly what the article questions.

PS: So I went on a Pilots forum and I raise you these links:
Mobile Phones - PPRuNe Forums (see reply #9 too - heard of similar stories from friends in the industry)
Annotated Mythbusters: Episode 49: Cellphones on Planes and Helium Raft
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/4...-honoured.html
Quote:
S/O Mark Johnson established voice communications with Qantas engineers in Sydney through a mobile phone after failure of the aircraft’s satellite voice link.
PPS: if mobile phone interference really was critical - they'd go about the cabin with handheld detection devices, no?

Are we done yet?

Last edited by phamilyman : 30th November 2011 at 14:32.
Old 14th December 2011, 17:00   #776
Senior - BHPian

Elderly parents travelling to US

My elderly parents are planning to travel to the US in Mar/Apr next year to visit my sister. They've completed and received their visas. They have travelled by air extensively, though it was years back (80's) when we were in Africa. Now, my question is this - though it is much easier to get information these days especially in transit, can they request for help from someone specifically for this purpose from the airlines? I am a little worried for them especially due to the fact that they will have around 24 hours of travel time from India.
Old 14th December 2011, 17:11   #777
BHPian

Re: Bom-hyd

Quote:
Air India runs a service from bom to hyd on a flight number AI-050,dirt cheap tickets for most days,it is actually a international feeder flight,which means it brings to hyd all the passengers arriving from various intl locations and having onward reservations to hyderabad.lovely spacious aircraft,lovely food which is a case on all air india flights.

the only downside is that the check in at at the international terminal while the aircraft is parked in the domestic terminal,so its a big long ride
I am booked on this flight to travel to hyderabad soon

Your post is helpful.I was wondering why isnt this flight taking off from Santa cruz airport (domestic)

I would assume once i clear security at terminal 2 ( international -andheri) i would have to hop onto a bus to get to the flight.

Any more insights would be helpful as i have never taken a flight which flies domestic but needs to be boarded from the internationl terminal in mumbai
Old 14th December 2011, 17:19   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post

Your post is helpful.I was wondering why isnt this flight taking off from Santa cruz airport (domestic)

I would assume once i clear security at terminal 2 ( international -andheri) i would have to hop onto a bus to get to the flight.

Any more insights would be helpful as i have never taken a flight which flies domestic but needs to be boarded from the internationl terminal in mumbai
Nothing. You check in as usual. You need to fill a form saying what you are carrying. As the international passengers pass through emigration check, you would be directed to another line where they check your boarding pass, take the form and let you through.

That is pretty much it. The bus will take you to the plane. It will just take 15 min rather than 5.
Old 14th December 2011, 17:22   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post

Just that the flight would invariably be delayed as they keep waiting for the international passengers to board.also make sure u just walk away and dont wait for customs when you land in hyd.Also the international terminal at mumbai is a mess,so please check in early as there are very few cabins for security check as opposed to the number of passengers.so its usually a very big q and plus the priority for crew makes it all the more worse.also at BOM do not wait in the immigration qs as that is for intl passengers.just tell them you are a domestic passenger and they would just stamp the form that you fill in at the check in and wave you through.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 17:26   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Nothing. You check in as usual. You need to fill a form saying what you are carrying. As the international passengers pass through emigration check, you would be directed to another line where they check your boarding pass, take the form and let you through.

That is pretty much it. The bus will take you to the plane. It will just take 15 min rather than 5.
Thanks. I would believe i dont need to carry my passport as my id proof right?

The reason i ask is the crpf/security folks outside would want to see a passport considering i am getting into an international terminal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks