Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2016, 12:20   #931
BHPian

Re: A YetiGuideŽ to Airlines, Airports and Domestic Air Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Travelling by Jet Airways after a looooong time (am virtually an Indigo regular), realized today that you can select even emergency row reclining seat during web check in absolutely free. This is a big change from the low-cost airlines that charge for 'premium' seating. Pretty good!
Yes, During web check-in its free.

Before Sep 2015, you could chose that free of cost anytime before web check in as well.
yatrik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 14:17   #932
BHPian

Hello team, I had a silly query. Pardon me if this has been discussed before.

I have often noticed it while booking a flight ticket online on goibibo that it shows ''x'' number of seats left for only some carriers but not for all of them, yet each one of them is open for booking. The last two times, I booked in that plane which was showing up this -'so many seats are left'. Today I booked 2 seats on a particular plane which did not show any such availibility status. Booked it because it was suiting my preferred departure timings. The booking went through succesfully and PNR was confirmed. Am I still at the risk of being bumped from this flight in case it is overbooked ?? How to avoid this ? Ideally I should have asked this question before booking

Thanks in advance

P.S - I don't fly regularly and this is my only 3rd round trip journey thats coming up in a fortnight (Pune--Delhi--Pune), hence the silly query. I am still a noob when it comes to planes, but wish to learn more and more about them in due course of time. Got 1 more round trip to Delhi by flight, following this one within a month.
Old 21st August 2016, 14:27   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
How to avoid this ?
There's no reason to worry as long as you have the PNR. If you want to doubly check, visit the airline website > manage my booking. Here you'll be able to put your PNR and retrieve your booking.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 01:35   #934
BHPian

Quote:
I have often noticed it while booking a flight ticket online on goibibo that it shows ''x'' number of seats left for only some carriers but not for all of them, yet each one of them is open for booking. ....
When they show 'only 4 seats available' it usually means only 4 seats available at that price, say Rs 6,000. There may be more seats available at higher prices, say Rs 8,000. If there are no seats available, the flight wont show up in the options.

Quote:
... Am I still at the risk of being bumped from this flight in case it is overbooked ?? How to avoid this ?
I am still a noob when it comes to planes, but wish to learn more and more about them in due course of time. ...
This is not a noob question. if you were totally new guy, you wouldn't know about 'bumping' and 'over booked'. You have heard of this and know little bit about flights and bookings
I don't think overbooking is a major issue now, especially in India.
You can do one thing. Do web checkin at the earliest (Indigo and Air India allows web checkin before 48 hours of the flight, others I think 24 hours) - you will get confirmed seat and seat number. No fear of bumping.
Have a safe journey.
JohnyBoy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 03:08   #935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
There's no reason to worry as long as you have the PNR. If you want to doubly check, visit the airline website > manage my booking. Here you'll be able to put your PNR and retrieve your booking.
Thank you very much for the prompt reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
When they show 'only 4 seats available' it usually means only 4 seats available at that price, say Rs 6,000. There may be more seats available at higher prices, say Rs 8,000. If there are no seats available, the flight wont show up in the options.

This is not a noob question. if you were totally new guy, you wouldn't know about 'bumping' and 'over booked'. You have heard of this and know little bit about flights and bookings
I don't think overbooking is a major issue now, especially in India.
You can do one thing. Do web checkin at the earliest (Indigo and Air India allows web checkin before 48 hours of the flight, others I think 24 hours) - you will get confirmed seat and seat number. No fear of bumping.
Have a safe journey.
Thanks a ton to you too. I must say, you caught me To be honest, I came across these terms few months back while doing a bit of googling to find an answer myself to this query since I always wanted to know why it shows as n number of seats are left. Goibibo FAQs didn't have an answer and it was actually one of the blogs and Quora together that had brought up these two terms - ''bumping'' and ''overbooking''. Then, I had fairly understood what these terms meant, but was still unsure about the ''seats-left'' part because I couldn't find any specific info regarding it or may be I had to do a bit of more research. After last journey, didn't look up for it again until today and thought of posting the query right away in team bhp and get an accurate reply from experts here. The knowledge of two new words gained from last time somehow seemed related to my query and thus made me use them while writing today. I am glad I finally got the perfect answer from you. So thanks a lot once again After endless journeys with Volvo/Scania/Merc buses in my life, its about time and age I begin flying with various airlines. Gonna be ''GoAir'' and ''Spicejet'' this time. Had a very good maiden experience with Jet airways first times around. Would have ideally loved to do this trip from Bombay end like last time since the back to back experiences with swanky CSIA T2 and then IGI T3 was mindblowing for me as a newbie with flights, but am sure I am looking at many BOM--DEL--BOM journeys in future.

Last edited by vivek95 : 22nd August 2016 at 03:37. Reason: Additional content
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 13:13   #936
BHPian

Hi all,

Sharing my experience with Jet airways on the domestic sector.

Saturday 17/09/2016 I was travelling with my Mother and Grandparents and there were 2 instances as described below which are certainly not expected from a full service carrier.

To say the least we had a harrowing time...read on ::

1. Incident 1 :: We arrive at Mumbai airport T2 for our flight 9W 7001 to Rajkot. Things went smooth till we were at the Boarding gate. Since we were travelling with my grandparents we had requested for 2 wheelchairs. My grandfather is of age 85 (needs assistance while walking long distances) and my grandmother is almost 80. On check in 2 porters were assigned with 2 wheelchairs who dropped us at the boarding gate saying somebody else will be there with wheelchairs at the time of boarding.

At the boarding gate once the boarding was announced, the ground staff from the airline had no clue about the whereabout of the wheelchairs and even had the audacity of asking me grandfather whether he can walk the aerobridge ? that was plain insensitive.

Finally , they managed to get only 1 wheelchair which was given to my grandfather and my gandmother had to walk the aerobridge.

2. Incident 2 :: On our return leg the same day 17/09/2016, Jet airways flight 9W 380 from Rajkot to Mumbai was like a flying oven. The inflight airconditioning was not at all working and we were almost perspiring inside the aircraft. My grandfather had a harrowing time inside the aircraft for the full flight duration which thankfully was just under an hour.

These instances occuring on the same day has really left me thinking about the services offered by Jet airways considering they are a full service carrier.

I have brought these incidents to their notices by giving feedback on their website, but I am not a bit hopeful of any thing coming out of it.

Jet airways seriously needs to sensitize their staff while dealing with senior citizens.

My sole intention of putting up this feedback is to ensure that no other snior citizen should suffer and the services improved.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2016, 17:16   #937
BHPian

Just landed in Mumbai via EK and my bag is missing.
The ground staff are of the opinion that it might be on the next flight arriving. My next flight is a good 4 hours from now.

Any idea what is the procedure to be followed?
Old 24th September 2016, 17:18   #938
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Just landed in Mumbai via EK and my bag is missing.
The ground staff are of the opinion that it might be on the next flight arriving. My next flight is a good 4 hours from now.

Any idea what is the procedure to be followed?
There would have been a baggage tag attached to your boarding pass. They EK ground staff should be able to figure out exactly where it is.

Lodge a complaint, the bag should be delivered to where you are staying tomorrow. Also ask for compensation.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2016, 17:37   #939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Lodge a complaint, the bag should be delivered to where you are staying tomorrow. Also ask for compensation.
It has been confirmed to be on the next flight, and hence am waiting for it.

Wonder if I still get a compensation.
Old 16th October 2016, 19:05   #940
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have an upcoming domestic travel and the tickets are booked on Indigo. I have a doubt regarding the baggage size. Cleartrip shows(for my specific flight) 15KG/Person as check-in and 7KG/Person as Cabin. Now we two adults are travelling together so is it okay for us to carry a single(bigger) trolley bag, weighing 20-25KG, instead of splitting the luggage into two bags each of 15KG?

Also, our 5 months old son will also be accompanying us (his first air travel). Could you please provide your suggestions/opinions on any specific things to take care? So that we can be well prepared.

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th October 2016, 19:14   #941
Senior - BHPian

Nope - split it into two pieces - they are pretty strict about that especially with heavily loaded flights.

For your son - have your wife feed him during the takeoff and landing, because the sucking action of feeding will help reduce the pain in the eardrums from pressure change that you normally feel as clogged ears. Oh yes - gently wipe out his ears and make sure he doesn't have any ear wax, before the trip. And if the baby has a cold just before the trip - consider a train instead.

The plane will have hot water available and the cabin crew are generally helpful when it comes to getting hot water for bottle wash or formula if you prefer that. But staying close to the rear of the aircraft will be a huge convenience for all the diaper changes, bottle washing / hot water fetching from the galley etc that will be needed. If the flight is busy they may not always be able to accommodate your requests for hot water or whatever ASAP.

Keep all necessities for the baby (spare diapers / rattle or toy / teether / bottle / baby formula / medicines / a dropper to suction out any phlegm from the nose if the kid has a cold .. all the usual stuff) in your hand luggage and on the floor in front of your seat.

And - ask your pediatrician's advice beforehand - a little pedichloryl or similar syrup that makes a cranky and crying baby sleep is always useful **in extreme cases**. Sometimes for a kid that is sick and crying, sleep becomes essential on an aircraft.

Last edited by hserus : 16th October 2016 at 19:17.
hserus is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 13:04   #942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post
Hi Guys,

I have an upcoming domestic travel and the tickets are booked on Indigo. I have a doubt regarding the baggage size. Cleartrip shows(for my specific flight) 15KG/Person as check-in and 7KG/Person as Cabin. Now we two adults are travelling together so is it okay for us to carry a single(bigger) trolley bag, weighing 20-25KG, instead of splitting the luggage into two bags each of 15KG?

Also, our 5 months old son will also be accompanying us (his first air travel). Could you please provide your suggestions/opinions on any specific things to take care? So that we can be well prepared.

Thanks in advance.
To add on to the valuable points 'hserus' has already said. Please ask for Seat belt extensioners on the flight for the baby. Also at the airport you can move ahead of the line for baggage drop and checkin (if not done on the web). Indigo has a policy for prefrential service for people travelling with Infants and also prior boarding before the queue.

I had a very good experience with Indigo when I was travelling with my one year old daughter from Chandigarh. Refer post number 907 in this thread for my experience.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 13:19   #943
Senior - BHPian

Normally they just ask you to hold the baby close to you - seat belts can press against the baby's stomach and so hurt him / her is what one elderly FA told me.

Not sure whether that is true or not, but seat belts can definitely wait in such a case.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 13:20   #944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Normally they just ask you to hold the baby close to you - seat belts can press against the baby's stomach and so hurt him / her is what one elderly FA told me.

Not sure whether that is true or not, but seat belts can definitely wait in such a case.
Agreed, I think this perspective is different across airlines. Not sure what the rule book says though.
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 14:53   #945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Agreed, I think this perspective is different across airlines. Not sure what the rule book says though.
Here's the IATA policy - but it is a bit vague related to international travel because stuff that is approved abroad may not be certified / approved in another country etc, related to CRS (child restraint system - like a car seat) for infants.

Lap belts for children 2 and above.

https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/safety...en-onBoard.pdf
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed