Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2017, 11:35   #1006
BHPian

Re: A YetiGuide® to Airlines, Airports and Domestic Air Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
Had received an sms day before from AI that as it is a silent airport no announcement will be made so please ensure to check your boarding gate.

But at the Boarding Gate, One of the crew members was making announcement for boarding passengers. She was literally shouting on top of her voice for all the late coming passengers, yet to board.
If you would have noticed its only the AI staff that shout in that way, the other airlines do make verbal announcements at the gate, but don't shout the way AI staff do.

On the other hand if there is a gate change there's no staff that will be shouting about it, and therefore the airline sends you that sms to remind you to keep checking your gate.
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 21:06   #1007
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Would there be any issues at POE? B2 seems to be for tourist purpose.
Can she leverage that part of the visa for personal travel?
She can definitely land in US but must explain the purpose of visit at POE and should be able to satisfy the officer.
Old 19th May 2017, 11:13   #1008
BHPian

This is my first post on this thread. Being an aviation enthusiast I like to make trip report videos of my flight travels. Attaching two videos of my recent journey on CCU-MAA-CCU sector.

Kolkata-Chennai

Chennai-Kolkata

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th September 2017 at 18:20. Reason: Old post, but adding some spaces after periods.
Old 21st May 2017, 13:15   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Travelled with Jet Airways after a long time.

18th May: BLR-PNQ - The food tray, as usual contained the packet with sugar, milk powder etc to make tea/coffee. But nothing was served and I heard the air hostess say, "we have stopped it but caterer still sends items the food with the stuff”. The sugar and milk packets of all passengers went into trash.

20th May: PNQ-BLR - On the return flight, tea/coffee was offered but the service was so poor that it never reached the rows at the back. When the lady next to me questioned, the air hostess was not even apologetic and asks back if she can serve tea after landing in BLR. How lame!!!

Overall, the cabin crew seemed least interested in their job and didn’t even make all the people straighten their seat-backs for landing. So much for calling themselves India's No.1 airlines...probably they counted from the last.
Old 21st May 2017, 13:39   #1010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Travelled with Jet Airways after a long time. [...] Overall, the cabin crew seemed least interested in their job
I stopped the day their non-veg food contained only uncooked cauliflowers. Nowadays I fly Vistara when I'm flying full service. A far superior experience.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 14:34   #1011
Senior - BHPian

The importance of pre and post-flight sleep management cannot be stressed enough. Here is an example of what can happen if you don't plan your sleep properly. Quoting from a piece published in today's TOI:

Quote:
A man who fell asleep in the bus while being shuttled to the aircraft at Mumbai's Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport was left behind by his flight this week, triggering concern over how an airline could operate a flight without confirming that everyone who left the departure terminal had boarded the flight. The man spent around six hours asleep in the bus, which was subsequently locked and parked in the maintenance area, before he was discovered.

The passenger was scheduled to fly IndiGo's flight 6E 799 to Bengaluru.According to sources, the flyer boarded the bus from CSIA at 6.30pm. He possibly sat on the last row of seats in the shuttle and then went to sleep.

Old 10th June 2017, 15:59   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
The importance of pre and post-flight sleep management cannot be stressed enough. Here is an example of what can happen if you don't plan your sleep properly...

In Mumbai anything can happen. Between 7 and 9 PM Indigo operates one flight every 5-10 minutes and it is utter chaos at their ground operations areas. I once by mistake boarded the bus for the Mumbai-Jaipur flight instead of my Mumbai-Bangalore one. Thankfully they noticed at the flight boarding ramp; and I got a ride in a gypsy meant for their ground crew to the right plane (which was parked not too far off).
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 09:24   #1013
BHPian

An experience to remember!

Though this has happened couple of years back during my stay in Europe, thought of sharing it on our forum. This is my 2nd post on Team-BHP (first one being introducing myself ). Request to moderators to move it to appropriate section or discard it if not suitable here.

So here it goes...

“The Dhantrayodashi”... The day which marks the beginning of Diwali celebrations across the lengths and breadths of my homeland “India”... and here we were in the European skies travelling from Vienna to Basel.

The Austrian flight OS473 took off from Vienna international airport with sun setting far west with a sprawling yellowish orange skyline. After having reached the cruising altitude, we could see the sun going down the horizon so beautifully. Silver linings on clouds, parse view of white mountains along with some lush green fields, and that ever so speedily rotating engine fan... all we were seeing outside my window. Everything was running as per the unwritten script in my mind. Clock ticked past 7 o’ clock in the evening and flight started its descend to land in Basel at its scheduled 07:20 PM landing time. All the landing formalities were completed and flight attendant’s took their seats as pilot announced ‘ready for landing’. And…

… And suddenly plane started pulling itself in the upward direction. Pilot screamed that the visibility on the runway is not good enough to land safely and we are flying up again. By this time everybody on board realized that the weather outside has turned scary. After hovering in the sky for about 15 minutes, plane started approaching the runway again. I was sure that its going to land now as pilot must have got the signals about clear visibility. And to everybody’s horror, after almost reaching the runway, plane started jumping up again. This time there were no words from pilot. Plane just kept climbing up. Outside world was completely turned into hell. Nature was showing all its rage in the form of thunderstorms, lightening, and gusts of winds. The casual faces were turning into serious ones. The lady seating next to our seat started crying. People on board started murmuring about recent happenings with Malaysian planes. My wrist watch was showing 07:50 PM in that darkness, half an hour past the scheduled landing and there were no words from the pilot.

While all this was happening, I realized that the girl seating adjacent to me was holding my hand tightly and was praying. My missus. It was her just third venture into the skies and she was experiencing this ordeal. Seemingly her throat was too dry to speak. She asked for a glass of water. She could barely sip it and glass was in my hands as service trays were folded up for landing. Suddenly plane dropped its height few notches and the glass with water got tossed up and came down sprinkling water on the fellow travelers. Nobody wanted to grumble, everybody was busy praying.

Clock ticked past 8 o’ clock. Pilot announced that he is going to attempt a landing for the third time now. People on board, seemingly remembering all their sins were up to it again. Plane started its descend again amidst all the jerks. Weather outside was little better than it was for past 40 minutes. The view of beautiful city of Basel was not looking like how it used to. Suddenly those tires crashed on the runway making one big thrust, brakes were applied with all their powers, and plane came to an halt in few moments. Now there was only one sound on board – sound of claps! Everybody was clapping.

The big clock at the arrival lobby was showing 08:20 PM. People were now openly discussing about how they escaped today. Missus was talking to the lady who was crying in the plane – lady was swearing about never flying again. I went up to them and greeted her and said – “Happy Diwali”. She couldn’t comprehend what that meant but she was smiling.
yogesh.8984 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 20:24   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Posted this a short while ago on the AirAsia facebook page :

Quote:
Had a very poor experience today on the Air Asia Bangalore-Bhubaneshwar-Koltata flight. PNR TM7TVJ.

I had pre booked 4 meals on the flight by paying 880/-. Meals were served at around 1pm , and I was told that they have confirmation for 3 meals on the boarding passes and not 4.

I repeatedly told the cabin crew that I'd paid for 4 meals , but they told me they had no extra meals , to lodge a complaint later . They were more or less indifferent to my plight despite the fact that I was travelling with my wife and 2 kids.

We finally had to share 3 meals between the four of us.

The plane departed from Bhubaneshwar at around 2:30 and apparently they had loaded some extra meals for this sector. After again being told that we had paid for 4 meals ( the crew told again this time they had no record of the 4th meal ) , they gracefully served us a meal that incidentally wasn't our choice - we were served an omelette meal whereas we booked a chicken meal.

We were sort of compelled to eat this meal at an odd time as I wasn't sure if it would be worth the hassle to run around for the 220/- refund.

Here are my questions for you :

1) How can a meal that I booked completely disappear from the boarding pass ? Do you have a buggy software system ?

2) Even if there was a problem , why didn't the cabin crew take our case sympathetically , considering that we had kids with us ? They just kept passing the buck - not our fault , we can't do anything, it happens and so on .

3) Are you going to compensate me financially in any way for this ? This clearly amounts to "deficiency in service" as defined in the Consumer Protection Act.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 20:30   #1015
Team-BHP Support

One question relating to miles, I am flying to Frankfurt & beyond via Lufthansa. What will be better to accumulate- Aeroplan or JP Miles? I am not worried much about the miles, just interested to upgrade my status. Do we just get JP miles or are these considered for an upgrade to a higher tier with the Jet? With Aeroplan, being a star alliance, no such issue, just that I am not very keen for a higher status on Aeroplan.
Old 5th October 2017, 16:30   #1016
BHPian

Has anyone tried to avail the "50% discount for senior citizens" in economy class announced by Air India?

I need to book a ticket for my mother who is a senior citizen and checked with the Air India counter in my home town before departure. I was told that the offer was not available if the ticket is booked online. I did not take the reply given by the staff as accurate and I checked again in Bengaluru airport Air India counter and I was told it can be booked only 7 days prior to departure.

When I tried to book today in Air India site with travel date set to less than seven days and Senior citizen opted for, I get errors which I would not have got for regular tickets.

When I check the net how to avail the concession here is what I get. If we read the comments it seems that none of the people are able to get the discount in economy and in fact some have reported increased fares.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/58308343.cms
So much for competing with other airlines.
Old 24th November 2017, 20:10   #1017
BHPian

Guys need some help, can someone tell me how much cash can one carry on a domestic flight ? I am flying to delhi on saturday and need to carry some cash with me.
Old 25th November 2017, 07:26   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
Guys need some help, can someone tell me how much cash can one carry on a domestic flight ? I am flying to delhi on saturday and need to carry some cash with me.
There is no such limit, as far as I know. Your risk appetite is the limit. Don't put the cash in your checked in baggage.

Though in these days of anywhere banking, I can't think of a reason to carry huge amounts of cash.
Old 25th November 2017, 19:22   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
No limit. No need to worry if you have proper documentation - where the money came from, for what purpose you are carrying etc.
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:28   #1020
BHPian

Not sure if this is the right forum, mods please move it to appropriate thread.

Caught this in today's TOI Ascent section:

A YetiGuide® to Airlines, Airports and Domestic Air Travel-indigo.jpg

Embraer? As per my knowledge Indigo purely flies a fleet of Airbus A320 planes and has just started the ATR service to capture the regional UDAN pie.

There is no news about Interglobe aviation ordering/flying any Embraer planes anywhere.

Is Indigo finally going to have a mix of planes in their fleet moving away from their loyal supplier Airbus!

Last edited by ant_vas : 3rd January 2018 at 11:42.

Most Viewed