Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2018, 15:44   #1036
Team-BHP Support

Re: Transit times

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Don't know specifically
Sorry, but what you have mentioned does look correct relating to the query to me. If there are no Direct flights to any destinations, Airlines usually offers connecting flights via some other airport. This has got nothing to do with Multicity options which are normally chosen when there is a different departing airport on the return or you are not going back to your original departing airport from the arrival airport. As an example, Mumbai- Chandigarh; Delhi- Mumbai, here Chandigarh - Delhi journey will be done by your own means or Mumbai- Chandigarh; Chandigarh- Simla.

Unless OP has not booked different tickets for connecting flights, It's 100 % responsibility of Airline and transfers from Plane to Plane are very common at domestic connections. They should be OK as long it's one PNT for the whole of the journey.

Last edited by Turbanator : 24th November 2018 at 16:09.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 17:59   #1037
BANNED

Thanks guys for quick responses. Yes, I have single PNR for both up and return journeys. (Not just single legs).

Actual journey is COK <> VNS. Booking was made as a single transaction, on Indigo's app. I booked / choose seats too.

No, this is not a multi city booking. Interestingly, had done a multi city booking for a different trip which did not materialise due to closure of the Kochi airport due to recent floods here.

That journey was COK - PNQ; and return was BOM > COK. Got a full refund on that booking.

Multi city bookings do look attractive possible for situations like, for e.g., COK - BOM one day; BOM - AMD next; AMD - DEL on another day, DEL - BLR yet another day, and so on. Have not actually flown this way.

@binand - I called customer care, and they confirmed that check in is required only at COK. And that the airline will handle and transfer check-in baggage at Delhi. We have to carry the hand /cabin baggage. Don't feel confident though.

@turbanator - thanks.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 24th November 2018 at 18:04.
Old 24th November 2018, 18:26   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Re: A YetiGuide® to Airlines, Airports and Domestic Air Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
@binand - I called customer care, and they confirmed that check in is required only at COK.
OK. Based on what you say, it seems likely that Indigo sold this as a Kochi-Varanasi ticket. So you can be assured that you will reach Varanasi. But it is unlikely the flight will wait for you, especially one as time conscious as Indigo - if your incoming flight is delayed they will only accommodate you in a later flight. And in most (all?) domestic airports I have seen, transfers happen beyond baggage claim.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 18:38   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
But it is unlikely the flight will wait for you, especially one as time conscious as Indigo - if your incoming flight is delayed they will only accommodate you in a later flight. And in most (all?) domestic airports I have seen, transfers happen beyond baggage claim.
That's true, once I was on a flight from BLR to Jabalpur via Hyderabad with a change of planes through Spicejet. Unfortunately due to fog at Bangalore we were delayed by more than 3 hours and missed our connection to Jabalpur. We had to stay at Hyderabad airport hotel for a night as there was only 1 flight per day to Jabalpur from Spicejet.

Last edited by jphukan : 24th November 2018 at 18:39.
Old 25th November 2018, 08:10   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
Is one hour between inbound and outbound flights sufficient for transit at Delhi airport's Terminal 1? The airline is IndiGo.

What costs will I incur if I reschedule?

Travel is in late December as a group of 6. in January 18, the plane to terminal transfer took about 10 or 15 minutes. Hence the query.
I've found Indigo to be among the most responsible and reasonable domestic airlines. Depending on the time of the flight, fog might be a factor that could work in your favor.

In my opinion, chances are less that you'll miss the connection. It can help to put in a word with the flight attendants. They are quite helpful and can communicate with the ground staff for the same.

Even if you do miss, they'll accommodate you on the next one. One issue could be getting 6 seats on next flight - there is a small possibility you may get split here.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 10:41   #1041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
I've found Indigo to be among the most responsible and reasonable domestic airlines.
I used to think so too; and for many years I was extremely brand loyal to them (even when our travel policy allowed me to fly FSAs I used to prefer Indigo). But of late - say last 6-12 months - I have noticed a palpable drop in their product quality. Things like:

* Charging even for middle seats
* Broken tray tables
* Reducing quality of the food they sell
* General downtrend in cleanliness of the plane
* Boarding process increasingly becoming chaotic
* Manhandling of passengers etc. (no first hand experience here).

I tend to connect all this to the departure of Aditya Ghosh. Also read:

https://www.business-standard.com/ar...2900213_1.html

Now that I have discovered Vistara, I choose them if they fly to where I have to go.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 11:49   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
I tend to connect all this to the departure of Aditya Ghosh.

Now that I have discovered Vistara, I choose them if they fly to where I have to go.
Quite likely. The two people I used to (somewhat) follow in the aviation sector - Aditya Ghosh and Ajay Singh. Both incredible in their own ways.

As a general practice, I always avoid airline food & water - read and heard a lot about their water storage tanks and its hygiene issues. These days our airports don't seem to have issues with the water we carry along. Last three trips, they allowed my water-bottle full of water without even muttering!

Yet to experience being inconvenienced. Will try Vistara too - for the next trip.
Old 25th November 2018, 14:53   #1043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is one hour between inbound and outbound flights sufficient for transit at Delhi airport's Terminal 1? The airline is IndiGo.

On return journey, I get 2 hours for transit which looks reasonable.

What costs will I incur if I reschedule?

The flight was booked in June, and as per my original booking, the transit was at Bangalore. I had selected a schedule with 3 hrs interval. Now the airline has rebooked me via HYD-DEL. At least a direct flight to DEL would have been better.

Travel is in late December as a group of 6. in January 18, the plane to terminal transfer took about 10 or 15 minutes. Hence the query.
On a recent Indigo flight from MAA to BLR, the crew were able to arrange a ramp to ramp transfer for pax headed to CCU at around 7:15 from BLR, when the MAA-BLR flight got delayed. The 16:55hrs flight out of Chennai was delayed by an hour because the aerobridge at gate 14 of the airport developed a snag and wouldn't move away from the aircraft. The plane landed at BLR at around 7 and those connecting to other places were put in a separate vehicle after alighting.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 16:18   #1044
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
On a recent Indigo flight from MAA to BLR, the crew were able to arrange a ramp to ramp transfer for pax headed to CCU at around 7:15 from BLR, when the MAA-BLR flight got delayed. The 16:55hrs flight out of Chennai was delayed by an hour because the aerobridge at gate 14 of the airport developed a snag and wouldn't move away from the aircraft. The plane landed at BLR at around 7 and those connecting to other places were put in a separate vehicle after alighting.
Similar thing happened when I returned from the Spiti Valley trip. Our Trivandrum bound fellow traveller was not sure about catching his onward flight from Bangalore. The minute we landed, he was paged and literally pushed into a car and moved to his flight.

On another note, a friend of mine travelling to Coimbatire on Indigo, has been elated for 2 hours since there is no crew!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 20:46   #1045
BHPian

Out of curiosity, did any one get a chance to try out the heli taxi in B'lore for their airport rides. How was the experience?
Old 1st January 2019, 12:32   #1046
BANNED

Some updates

Thanks to all of you who helped with your inputs. Here are some updates / observations which may be helpful.

1. You dont need paper ticket to enter airports; ID with screenshot of email is sufficient. I checked-in from the app, generated PDF of the boarding pass and showed the PDF at the outer security. Once inside, there is a touch screen machine which will display icons of each airline, and then you enter your booking Id/ PNR. Select "Reprint boarding pass".

2. Indigo putting us on various schedules (COK> HYD > DEL, COK - HYD - AMD, etc) was noeither summer / winter rescheduling nor unique to us. Met a gentleman on our return travelling Patna - COK. He had booked via Kolkotta, but his itenary later showed Patna - Hyd- COK, and finally while check in, he was on Patna - DEL-COK. His booking was made within 30 days of the journey.

3. On my onward journey, flight was late by 15 mins at HYD -DEL leg. We, another family, and a gentleman were last to board the last commute bus from the departure gate at DEL. Moral - at congested airports, plan your flights with atleast 2 hours between flights. If travelling on different tickets allow even more time to collect baggage and move from the arrival terminal to the departure terminal.

5. While returning, we had 2 hours wait at DEL. At the transit security, we were asked to wait for about 1 hour. Seating was sparse at DEL arrival, and we had to stand.

PS:- COK now has a swanky renovated Domestic terminal.

See pics.

A YetiGuide® to Airlines, Airports and Domestic Air Travel-20181221_1159172.jpg

A YetiGuide® to Airlines, Airports and Domestic Air Travel-20181221_115854.jpg

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 1st January 2019 at 12:41.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 16:11   #1047
Senior - BHPian

Hi friends,

I am planning a trip to USA. Since the flight duration is long, I am planning a layover trip. Any guides on where to book ticket at lowest possible fare? Will be leaving on 1st July and return planned on 7th from USA.
Old 9th July 2019, 18:38   #1048
BANNED

In Intl' flights of Malindo Air/Scoot, I've seen self-transfer.

Quote:
What's a self-transfer?

On this flight, you may need to check in separately for each connecting flight. Make sure you have enough time.
  • You may need to collect hold bags and check them in again for the next flight.
  • You must pass through security and passport control during each connection and you will need a visa if your connection is in a country that requires one.
Source
  1. What is meant by self-transfer?
  2. Is this a problem when traveling with family/kids?
Old 9th July 2019, 21:06   #1049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Hi friends,

I am planning a trip to USA. Since the flight duration is long, I am planning a layover trip. Any guides on where to book ticket at lowest possible fare? Will be leaving on 1st July and return planned on 7th from USA.
I have been doing US-India flights on NYC-Del sector. Cheapest tickets come to around 500 and layovers are in Beijing and Shanghai. I have made good use of those layovers by visiting those cities since visa on arrival is available for free. You may also look at mid east carriers and Turkey as options.

regards
Old 13th July 2019, 11:30   #1050
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

For Indigo flight leaving from T2 terminal in Bombay, do I tell the taxi guy to take it to the domestic or international. The flight is domestic but T2 is international. What do I put in the map in Ola/Uber?

Most Viewed