Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2007, 10:20   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
. Now they have also adopted a global booking system (Radixx I think). VM probably thought Sabre will work out costlier (KF uses Sabre).

Air Deccan had decided on Radixx in May 2006 .Long before Mallya picked up the 26%.

And I dont see any reviews on Paramount.Do try it out next time you have the option.I love Embraer.

Last edited by artofzen : 17th August 2007 at 10:33.
Old 17th August 2007, 10:57   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post
And I dont see any reviews on Paramount.Do try it out next time you have the option.I love Embraer.
\
I love all things Brazilian. Paramount however has limited sectors but truly, here's an airline I'm dying to try.

Maybe I'll just hop over to chennai or something one of these days, from bangalore.
Old 17th August 2007, 11:17   #63
Senior - BHPian

Embraer - I never knew an airline existed by this name !!
Old 17th August 2007, 11:28   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Firstly great work Sam and Steer, it will help many of us here.

Now FE, remember US uses a 110v electric current and we 240v.

So either there should be a switchable option present or you need to buy a 240v to 110v converter, once you land up here.

No problems for battery operated items like camera but if it uses an adapter for charging then again it needs a converter.
You missed the point mentioned by me, please read carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Not true. All the digicams I have owned have multi-voltage adapters. At most, you might need a converter that converts US style plugs to Indian style.
Old 17th August 2007, 11:30   #65
Senior - BHPian

Travelled by Sri-lankan - you can make out a whole world of difference between the MAA- colombo sector and the colmobo - LHR sector. The air hostesses were downright rude during the Indian leg - but the group was so different during the LHR leg I wodnered where did they go.
Old 17th August 2007, 11:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
Travelled by Sri-lankan - you can make out a whole world of difference between the MAA- colombo sector and the colmobo - LHR sector. The air hostesses were downright rude during the Indian leg - but the group was so different during the LHR leg I wodnered where did they go.
Madan, it is the same experience with most of the Intl Airlines be it BA, Air France, Malaysia, Singapore etc, flights to India will get the oldest or refurbished Aircrafts, Stewards: hardly any pleasant looking ones, with a snotty attitude that they are doing us a favour by serving us etc etc.

But, the connecting flight to Europe, US etc will be a heaven apart!
Old 17th August 2007, 13:23   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Madan, it is the same experience with most of the Intl Airlines be it BA, Air France, Malaysia, Singapore etc, flights to India will get the oldest or refurbished Aircrafts, Stewards: hardly any pleasant looking ones, with a snotty attitude that they are doing us a favour by serving us etc etc.
We, indians, are to be blamed for this. I am talking here specifically about chennai-singapore sector. I have seen this sector used to be infested with lungi clad locals who will try to get as much as possible of that free booze on board and behave in disgusting way.
These fellows are referred to as "kuruvies".They are sent specifically to ferry loads of cell phone and other such electronic gadgets from singapore. Not sure if they still exist.

Sam,
That was an excellent write up. I never expected anything like this in a car forum.
Old 17th August 2007, 14:16   #68
Senior - BHPian

Chennai - Singapore is still better! Have you taken the Chennai - KL flight?
It is like a State Transport Bus filled with lungi-clad locals carrying all sorts of bags and suitcases and enjoying the free booze on board!
Old 17th August 2007, 14:22   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
These fellows are referred to as "kuruvies".They are sent specifically to ferry loads of cell phone and other such electronic gadgets from singapore. Not sure if they still exist.

Most of these are laborers returning for a holiday after 3 years of hard work. Kuruvies or sparrows in English are very few & far in between.
Old 17th August 2007, 15:15   #70
Senior - BHPian

My personal experiences:

Majority sectors travelled are Middle East and West (US/Canada in particular).

AIRLINE experience:

1. Air Canada: Though Canadian immigration requires visa for people travelling through Air Canada (even for transit to the US - and taking visa means another 1-2 days here in Delhi), this airline had been the BEST I could ever fly on this sector. EXCELLENT food; EXCELLENT restrooms (yes even after app 17 hrs of NON stop flying from Delhi to Toronto) ; EXCELLENT service. This is probably the only airline to give you an option of changing your dates n no of times once you depart India. There is a mix of uneducated people (farmers basically) from remote areas of Punjab and westerns. All in all, a very good experience.

2. American Airlines: Second best airline as I would perceive. Excellent food quality and refurbished planes. On time performance and very friendly cabin crew.

3. Continental Airlines: Pathetic food, pathetic service....you wont get a glass of water even if you ring the service bell 4 times half past midnight. The crew will care a D**K for your requests. (happened with me twice). Connecting domestic flights are usually late, and you end up being more than 36 hrs in the total journey. Ask for a beer/alcohol, they charge $ 5 per peg/can (Budget airlines you see!) and when you hand over a $ 20 bill, you need to remind them at the time of landing that they need to give back the change.

4. Now comes the worst of the lot! The pride of India - Maharaja (read AIR INDIA). 40% of the cases they'll be late or the aircrafts would develop an hydraulic failure!! I still remember the first time I was flying to DXB, and I was horrified to note that there is no seat belt on my seat..I asked the 69 year old pretty air hostess and she casually replied "See it doesnt make much of a difference actually and you can hold the seat in front of you while take off and landing"....phew!!

5. EMIRATES: Good service, Pathetic food. French pilots dont really know if they are flying an aircraft or driving a car on delhi roads. Similar experience of steer flying in Saudi Air.

6. BIMAN AIRWAYS: Just one sentence to say it all. The moment you get seated, the air hostess says "Parachutes are under your seat....Please wear them ASAP as we dont know when you might need'em!" Only advantage to middle eastern residents coming back to India is the luggage allowance of 50Kgs. PERIOD.

Airports and Customs:

In India, I can comment only on IGI, as far as possible, always carry your valuables like amp etc in your hand baggage and dont keep anything which is subjected to customs in your checked in baggage, smile at the cop at green channel and pass. Baggages are scanned before coming onto the belt (specially DXB flights); and during scanning, if anything subjected to customs is identified the baggage is marked with a white chalk. This is the way the cop at the green channel would identify you and check. Best avoided. Keep all dutiable items in handbag. Handbags are never checked (except in certain cases).

Oman airport is pathetic, DXB airport is fantastic, Riyadh airport looks like an extended mosque, Toronto airport is excellent having more than 35 desks at arrival Terminal B; US (MN/NY/NV/) are pretty good too!!

I was also surprised to know that US immigration was done at Toronto itself. Technically, immigration is done only at the port of entry of a particular country, but being placed in C (friendly neighbourhood) category, US immigration is done in Canada only. So actually you pass through 2 immigrations at Toronto if you are heading US, one each for Canada and US.

Was pretty excited to share my experiences....More to follow!

Last edited by Rtech : 17th August 2007 at 16:17. Reason: Possible offence could be taken to a few words. Corrected now.
Old 17th August 2007, 20:03   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
My personal experiences:
In India, I can comment only on IGI, as far as possible, always carry your valuables like amp etc in your hand baggage and dont keep anything which is subjected to customs in your checked in baggage, smile at the cop at green channel and pass. Baggages are scanned before coming onto the belt (specially DXB flights); and during scanning, if anything subjected to customs is identified the baggage is marked with a white chalk. This is the way the cop at the green channel would identify you and check.
Do they break padlocks too? While returning from LHR via DXB on Emirates, I found that padlock on my checked-in luggage was not there when I picked it at IGI.

Now I do not know where did they break and check - at LHR or DXB or IGI. I confirmed and my colleague's lock was also missing. Anyways they would have only found all soiled clothes under 5 inches thick layers of chocolate boxes.
Old 17th August 2007, 20:24   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post

Well I have travelled only on Air deccan and paramount as of now and there was a see of difference between the two.

The plane was on time and food was decent(They are free unlike AD!!!)
and the best part was you are surrounded by polite pretty looking females and that alone won me over!

The only grouse is that they are prominent only in the south and they are expensive (compared to AD)
Old 17th August 2007, 20:32   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Regular service Airlines like Kingfisher, ... allow 20Kgs to be checked in
KF has a limit of 25kgs

Quote:

Buckle up. It’s the law
Maybe during the flight you can push it back a little, but remember to pull back up during meals.
The windows need to be up while taking off and landing. Most people dont follow this.

Quote:
This is a no pretension review. I'm going to cover everything that is important. From food to crew, everything, no pretension. Enjoy!
Kingfisher
Bad Point:

1) No upgrades to business class ( even for silver and gold members )

Note from the Support Staff: Please avoid quoting entire posts - Select only the relevant parts. Also we have a multi-quote feature which lets you select multiple posts to quote, rather than posting new replies for each post.
Old 17th August 2007, 21:17   #74
BHPian

Fantastic write-up Sam and Steeroid. Hats off to you for the effort spent.

Just my two bit, being desk-bound I don't travel much. But if I do, I try to go for Kingfisher. I would rate them the best domestic airlines. From the reception, to the staff, to the airplace and in-flight facilities, everything is fantastic. They have recently added a real-time outer view camera view in their video option. So you can watch your flight depart, take off, fly between the clouds, land and stop in front of the batsman at the destination airport! Awesome!

Another airlines I liked was Indian Airlines! I loved them for the seating space! I don't fly with them these days, though. Have doubts on their reliability, in terms of on-time flights.

I am avoiding Deccan for one simple reason.... terrible leg space. they have the most cramped aircrafts ever!!!! I think to get the max return on investments, they have cramped the most number of seats into the Boeing aircraft used! I'm not talking much about their service, as being a "low-fare" airlines I do not really expect anything from them. I personally have not faced any issues when I travelled with them, but that is mainly because as a rule of thumb, I travel light and always reach the airport about 1 1/2 hours before flight departure.

I got to travel on Indigo and Spicejet last month. I was pleasently surprised by them. They is definately much better than Deccan, but, sigh..... Kingfisher has spoilt me!!!! I have no hassles in paying a bit more for Kingfisher compared to other airlines. Their services is worth paying for.

While I have not travelled by Paramount, I have heard a lot of good things about them. The main point to note is that they are targeting the business travellers, not the tourist or family travellers. So they are charging high and providing services that a business executive would be expecting.
Old 17th August 2007, 22:15   #75
Team-BHP Support

I don't know whether its been posted before, so I am going to list it out here.
If you are flying to or from Delhi lock your luggage. There is a 50% chance that your locks will be broken, but mostly they target unlocked luggage.
Best thing is not to carry any electronics in your baggage.
If you are coming from USA, buy a TSA certified lock(costs around 5$) so that US guys don't break your lock.
Also be very careful of your belongings as you reach delhi, esp if you are from the more honest places like chennai or BLR.
People try to rob you right at the airport. They try to snatch your luggage.
So hold on to it very well.
Imagine that everybody around you wants to harm you.
Thats the only way to survive Delhi airport.
I have had locks broken, stuff stolen(not too expensive too, just a wireless router).
Recently TOI had a story about a gang of cargo handlers who would look at luggage X-rays and if saw anything interesting like a handycam etc., would pilfer it.
So if you don't want to bolt the barn after the horse has bolted, imagine everybody around you is a thief.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks