Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2007, 13:06   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

On certain flights coming into mumbai from abroad - nothing is Xrayed, you simply pick up your bag from the belt and walk out of the airport. However, some people are asked to Xray.

What I observed clearly is, these people had a white chalk X marked on their suitcases. It is my guess that in this case, the bags are pre scrutinized to save time.

This time (last week) flying in from paris, I picked up my bag and stood in line for the green channel Xray. AN officer walked up to me and asked me where had I arrived from.

Paris, said I.

OK OK, you go straight out, no need for Xray he said.

He must have thought Saala hippy aaya hai, yeh kya khareed ke layega.

The attitude of the customs staff in Mumbai is excellent and has seen a lot of change. They don't bother you for small things, an extra bottle of alcohol etc.

Even the immigration authorities. Wonderful smile, welcome to India. I like it. A lot more helpful and polite than the authorities at Paris CDG, I can assure you.

The past 2 years have seen mumbai airport make me proud.
Old 20th September 2007, 13:21   #182
Team-BHP Support

Sam, don't forget to add the free work out Mumbai Airport gives arriving passengers.

You first have to walk 1km from the plane to the Immigration counters, then back 1km to pick up your bags, then back another half km to exit, then go hunting in the dark and rain for your pre-paid taxi who's number is scribbled on a piece of paper.

It's nice to be all nationalistic, but frankly, I don't see how Mumbai International Airport can make you proud.
Old 20th September 2007, 13:27   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

I clearly remember walking in excess of 50 minutes from one plane to another in Paris.
And a good 20 minutes in Frankfurt.

I have heard that the pre-paid taxi situation is rubbish. But the whole taxi situation is rubbish in Mumbai isn't it? How is that the airports fault baba?
Did you know that the yellow cab guys beat up the ac cab guys if they park at the airport?

I'm not saying Mumbai airport is amazing. I'm saying it's changing for the better everyday. I'd like to be proud of that.
Old 20th September 2007, 13:38   #184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I clearly remember walking in excess of 50 minutes from one plane to another in Paris.
And a good 20 minutes in Frankfurt.
50 minutes? Did you lose your way? But, I've never had a transit in CDG, so wouldn't know. And I willingly walk for 20 minutes in Frankfurt or even more if in Singapore. Its not the walk per se, its what you have to walk through!

Quote:
I have heard that the pre-paid taxi situation is rubbish. But the whole taxi situation is rubbish in Mumbai isn't it? How is that the airports fault baba?
I was not talking about the cabs themselves. The thought process behind the entire set up and functioning is totally wrong. And yes, this is the airports fault.
Quote:
Did you know that the yellow cab guys beat up the ac cab guys if they park at the airport?
I suppose you mean the Gold/Meru cab guys. Yes, they are not allowed to park there yet. The regular blue/silvers can park there, but again, I am not talking about the vehicles, but the way the setup has been designed. there is not thought behind it.

Quote:
I'm not saying Mumbai airport is amazing. I'm saying it's changing for the better everyday. I'd like to be proud of that.
Yes. It sure is changing for the better. No doubt. but only you and I and the other Indians and/or regular visitors would see that. What is the first impression on gets of a country? It is their airport. Look at your travelogues, the things you have said about the airports you have visited.

I've heard tourists say things that are not to pleasant about the airport while we wait in line for the bags. I would love to jump to the defense, but the fact remains that they are right.

Yes, be proud, I'm all for that. I'd never run down anything here in the company of foreigners. But as they say, if your own family cannot tell you when you are wrong or who can.

Last edited by Rtech : 20th September 2007 at 13:39.
Old 20th September 2007, 14:14   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
What I observed clearly is, these people had a white chalk X marked on their suitcases. It is my guess that in this case, the bags are pre scrutinized to save time.

I had one of my friends working in customs. He told me that on certain flights, particularly from Middle east and Singapore....before the bag comes on the belt, its given an XRay outside. If the guys find any dutiable item, they mark it with a chalk so that if the concerned guy walks off the green channel, the officer gets hold of him. (basically an indication for the guy at green channel)

Figure this: I went to loo while on my way to pick my bags off the belts (was on way back from DXB), dip my handkerchief in water and immediately rub the white chalk off from my bag. I thought I acted smart, but thanks to all the techies, now a days these guys use a cellphone to inform as well. I got caught, but no issues....I can even tell you a way that I used to get out paying a bribe of Rs. 12/- (YES YOU READ IT RIGHT, TWELVE INDIAN RUPEES ONLY).

Last edited by panky12345 : 20th September 2007 at 14:17.
Old 20th September 2007, 15:55   #186
Senior - BHPian

Transiting through CDG is a big pain, mainly due to one of their terminals being under construction since ages now. Air France even prints it on your boarding pass now that one should expect anywhere between 50 minutes to an hour to go from one terminal to another. I had to change buses (the airport ones) twice to get to the terminal for Paris - Boston flight. And had to pass through security check three times. 3 security checks, 3 queues. You do the math!

I think next time i will take Lufthansa. Besides, beer is quite costly at CDG, that is, if you get the time to sip it!

Amitoj
Old 20th September 2007, 16:07   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Transiting through CDG is a big pain, mainly due to one of their terminals being under construction since ages now. Air France even prints it on your boarding pass now that one should expect anywhere between 50 minutes to an hour to go from one terminal to another. I had to change buses (the airport ones) twice to get to the terminal for Paris - Boston flight. And had to pass through security check three times. 3 security checks, 3 queues. You do the math!
And the work out!
Thank you for agreeing with me. And compared to that, Mumbai airport is far more convenient n'est ce pas?
Old 20th September 2007, 16:22   #188
Team-BHP Support

This is a good site on airports around the world. Gives some good info on what to expect.

But is it fair to compare Sahar to CDG? CDG is about 5 times the size of Sahar and handles a much much larger volume of traffic. But the immigration and baggage handling is a royal pain there!

But still, I have yet to travel find travel through an airport as shabby as Sahar. Lets hope the ongoing face?lift makes it a better place to spend some time in.
Old 20th September 2007, 16:22   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with that, missed a flight at CDG and then had to go to Orly airport to take the next flight.

Damn got to Orly airport and missed that flight too. Beat that !! Air France was kind enough to put me onto a 3rd flight and send me. I appreciate what they did on that day.
They gave me food coupons and a bus ticket too.

I wonder why they build such big airports , where in you walk endlessly to get to the next terminal.

For the next few days in my dreams, all I was doing was pushing my trolley
in CDG and Orly. LOL .
Old 20th September 2007, 16:29   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
But is it fair to compare Sahar to CDG?
No no no, nobody is comparing Sahar to CDG. This entire conversation about walking for so long has been because of this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
don't forget to add the free work out Mumbai Airport gives arriving passengers.You first have to walk 1km from the plane to the Immigration counters, then back 1km to pick up your bags, then back another half km to exit.
My only point is that this is not something I would hold against Sahar. Other airports give a much longer and heavier workout.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 20th September 2007 at 16:33.
Old 20th September 2007, 16:33   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Other airports give a much longer and heavier workout.
True I guess. Just never noticed it! Maybe it's the effect of landing back into your home country and then simply wanting to get the hell out and back home after the trip that makes the walk here feel extra long!
Old 20th September 2007, 16:38   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And the work out!
Thank you for agreeing with me. And compared to that, Mumbai airport is far more convenient n'est ce pas?
lol...Sam, suffering CDG a couple of times wont make me proficient in French! Still, thank heavens for Google.

As far as Mumbai airport is concerned, i have not had much truck with it, but i do remember the waiting area. The exhaust fans in the loo seemed to be running in opposite direction and thus bringing that atmosphere into the waiting area. That was about 3 years ago. Hope things have changed.

On a different note, to all those who go to pick someone up from the Bangalore airport, please leave aside at least 40 minutes for parking your car, specially if you are going anywhere between 7 PM to 10 PM.

Amitoj
Old 21st September 2007, 07:32   #193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

On a different note, to all those who go to pick someone up from the Bangalore airport, please leave aside at least 40 minutes for parking your car, specially if you are going anywhere between 7 PM to 10 PM.

Amitoj
If your person is mobile and has a mobile. Hang around outside the airport and tell them to call you as soon as they have picked up the bags. Ask them to go to the departure drop area,

If you must, park in the departure area

Parking is an issue for both the planes and the cars!. My flight from singapore was sitting on the runway for 20 min waiting for a space
Old 21st September 2007, 09:11   #194
BHPian

Quote:

Amitoj
And 40 minutes to reach the parking lot.
Old 21st September 2007, 09:30   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
willa cam be allowed in the hand baggage?
mumbai duty guys bribeable? the checked in suff is scrutinized more than the hand baggage?

what basis will the duty be calculated by the oficer if there is no price tag? can it be bought in as used stuff? or custom made on my on?
They normally dont charge duty on 1 camera - provided it doesnt arouse their suspiscion by looking too new/unused or too expensive. Discard the packaging and actually use it during your trip. Hang it around your neck and arrive at the airport - put it thru x-ray. What they are normally looking for are items which they believe are very expensive and not for personal use, but for sale in India.

Basis for duty is a listing that they have for all electronic products (pretty long and normally out dated ) . If your camera is newly launched, they may not have a price for it. Please note that the price that they refer to is actually the on-road price in India which includes (already) customs duty, the profit of the importer, the profit of the middlemen who have been involved in sale of the item and any taxes that the final seller normally charges. They will deduct Rs. 25,000 (your duty free allowance) from that price (provided you have not brought in any other dutiable item) and the balance amount will be taxed at a flat 40%. They will, as a matter of procedure, dis-regard any bill that you show as proof of the price of purchase.

If you have purchased any item as a specially discounted item, then ensure you bring along a brochure (which attracted you to purchase the item in the first place) of the outlet/product to show that it is a published discounted price by the retailer and available on offer during the time. They may consider it if the pricing matches your bill amount.

If you are taking the camera out from India (expensive one), then ensure that you get a Customs note (counter located after immigration and before final security check) that you are exporting it out. That Customs note is valid for 1 year and will mention the make, product name/number and the approximate value of the same. When you bring it back, if you are questioned, then just present the customs note and there will be no questions asked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks