Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2007, 22:29   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

A recent review of the King of Good Times

In the month of November and now December I've had the fortune to take 8 Kingfisher flights. Of these, 6 have been to Delhi and back.
I figure it's time to review the King again.

Bom-Del sector now ONLY has Airbus 321 new generation. My favourite row is the 19th - a reclinable emergency row, that makes you feel like business class.
The A321 has another new feature. The emergency exit door has a pin that acts like a key. Instead of briefing you on how to use the emergency door (a DGCA mandate), the stewardess now simply pulls out the pin and that's that. No brief required.

While the row is great there are 2 great disadvantages in row 19.
One - there is no window. That's right, not even that little chappal sized plaxiglas window. Just a little pinhole that accommodates 1 eye. No exaggeration. You cant use both eyes to see out simultaneously.
Two- The supposed window seats have no arm rest on the body side. This is anoying to a degree of desperation. Try sitting in an aircraft for 2 hours with nowhere to put one arm and you will see what I mean.

19C is by far the best seat in the house. I mean plane.
There is no 19D, this is a 90 deg high seat designed for crew only.
This means if you get 19E, that is centre and you're parked next to a pretty lady for a long while.

While this may be fun if you're the smiling social kind, my last flight to delhi had a pretty lady with some pretty bad BO. I do understand that this is hard work, but some deodorant is well required. This has happened only once to me on kingfisher. Normally sitting next to the stewardess is a delightful experience.

Another sad thing. Those wonderful pouches are GONE!! Now you get a pair of headphones in a little plastic and a pen. No candy, no pouch. Waaaaah. I wanna red pouch!

Anyways, that's all for now, I hope you enjoyed my review. More later.
Old 6th December 2007, 23:03   #257
BANNED

WHATT?? with a bad BO!
Man! That's a bit disgusting. Also wonderful to some. LOL!
No! Sorry. Don't point fingers on me.
Old 10th December 2007, 14:44   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another sad thing. Those wonderful pouches are GONE!! Now you get a pair of headphones in a little plastic and a pen. No candy, no pouch. Waaaaah. I wanna red pouch!
That's strange.

I travel KF quite frequently as well and travelled Hyd bangalore last week and Del Hyd a fortnight back, the the pouches were very muh there on these sectors, complete with headphones, pen, candy and a fresh wipe.

Another thing that I realised only recently about KF, which came into focus because I was forced to travel jet on a couple of occassions due to scheduling issues, was that the Red and while colour scheme of the cabin really goes a long way in lifting the ambience and the mood. In contrast, the blue and grey/off white of jet is depressing
Old 10th December 2007, 16:50   #259

Beware the 6E seat on Indigo Airlines flights'

Last month, I flew to Bombay on Indigo Airlines flight 6E 412, to spend Diwali at home. While I awaited my turn for the Sec Check, I attended a late evening boring conference call, to which I made no contribution whatsover. Being the eve of Diwali, there were dozens of people on their way home, eagerly awaiting to board flights to destinations all over the country. The anxiety to get over with the Sec Check was showing on almost all our faces.

After an hour long wait, I finally made it past the Sec Check and was relieved to learn that the flight was departing on time. We were quickly shown to a bus that took us to the aircraft. Until this time, I hadn't bothered to check the seat number allotted to me.

As I boarded the airplane, I quickly glanced at the boarding pass and was surprised to see that my seat number and the flight number shared the same first 2 characters, 6E. Being one of the first people to board, I quickly found my seat and settled in.

As I opened by novel to locate the page I had dug my bookmark into, an elderly lady came up to my seat and said that I was occupying her seat. Having noticed that the flight and seat numbers were similar, I requested her to check her boarding pass once again for the correct seat number. She quickly learned that her seat number was something else and moved on. Just as I put my head down to start reading my novel, another young chap came along and said the same thing. I repeated what I had told the lady earlier, and he moved on to locate his seat somewhere behind me. In a minute, another young lady appeared and made her claim to my seat. I explained the reason for the misunderstood seat number yet again.

Realising that the cause for the confusion were only the coinciding characters of the flight and seat numbers, I tried not to be agitated by the people who kept bothering me time and again, for the same reason.

Just as I was beginning to beleive that I had seen the last confused passenger off, another man came to me and tried to claim his right to my seat. I was now beginning to get irritated by the inconvenience caused to me. As I tried to explain his mistake to him, he refused to listen to me and demanded that I vacate the seat, pronto! Even though he was talking to me in a very arrogant tone, I politely asked him to check his boarding pass, but he wouldn't listen and threatened to call the stewardess if I didn't comply.

I was now at the end of my patience and asked him to do as he pleased. Hearing the argument, 2 stewardesses came to the spot from each direction. Finally, after much debate and persuasion the man accepted his mistake and walked on.

Even though the cause for the incident was a very trivial matter, it was a pretty unpleasant experience. I can only imagine what would have happened if an easily irritable, short tempered person was sitting in my place.

I hence say, beware of the 6E seat on Indigo flights.
Old 10th December 2007, 18:08   #260
Senior - BHPian

Yup the pouches are gone. Last Monday I flew KF on the BLR-MUM sector and all I was offered was a piddly head phone which I promptly refused to the utter shock of the hostess.

And yes the Live TV is a boon too now. Through the flight I was following the Sensex while listening to music on my ipod.

The veg breakfast was so-so.

And all the female crew was simply FABULOUS. I mean on every flight there are 1/2 outstanding girls with some ordinary ones in tow but here each and every female crew was a treat to look at

And yes the flight took off on time and landed on time too !!
Old 10th December 2007, 18:13   #261
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadkarni View Post
Just as I was beginning to beleive that I had seen the last confused passenger off, another man came to me and tried to claim his right to my seat. I was now beginning to get irritated by the inconvenience caused to me. As I tried to explain his mistake to him, he refused to listen to me and demanded that I vacate the seat, pronto! Even though he was talking to me in a very arrogant tone, I politely asked him to check his boarding pass, but he wouldn't listen and threatened to call the stewardess if I didn't comply.

I was now at the end of my patience and asked him to do as he pleased. Hearing the argument, 2 stewardesses came to the spot from each direction. Finally, after much debate and persuasion the man accepted his mistake and walked on.
lol. that's hilarious. I'm surprised you didn't hurl expletives at him. I would have done that to such people who think they are always right.
Old 25th December 2007, 18:44   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadkarni View Post

Even though the cause for the incident was a very trivial matter, it was a pretty unpleasant experience. I can only imagine what would have happened if an easily irritable, short tempered person was sitting in my place.

I hence say, beware of the 6E seat on Indigo flights.

Surprising. Why would this seat be the cause for confusion? Any ideas?
Old 19th January 2008, 16:39   #263
Senior - BHPian

Jet Airways

Oh boy - what an unexpected treat. The flights were clean and the air hostesses were "beautiful" (better than KF). Service was spot on and the food was great too.

I walk to the check in counter to get my internet check-in stamped (I dunno why)
The girl asks me - "sir, you are on the 1755 flight. Would you like to get on the 1725 flight ? We have a couple of seats available "
I say - "Sure"
And she promptly gets my boarding pass changed within 3 mins and hands it over - "have a nice flight sir"
I was impressed.

Jet gets 5/5 from me

ps - Do you have to get the internet check in print out stamped from the check in counter at the airport ? It doesn't make sense then , right ?
Old 19th January 2008, 16:54   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
ps - Do you have to get the internet check in print out stamped from the check in counter at the airport ? It doesn't make sense then , right ?
You mean when you do a Web Check-in?
I am yet to give that a try but doing a web check-in will give you 250 extra JP miles.
Old 19th January 2008, 21:48   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
You mean when you do a Web Check-in?
Yes - did a web check in and took the print out of the boarding pass. Went directly to security check and they stopped me. you need to get the boarding pass stamped by the check in counter. I was confused ! The idea of web check in is to cut time standing in line at the counter and I was being sent back to do exactly that !!

And as usual the staff at the check in counter did not have an answer - its the policy Sir. I said why advertise then on the site - Web check in , get a print out and go to security check with your id ......

Foolish I say.
Old 19th January 2008, 22:08   #266
Senior - BHPian

I flew Air India from Dubai to Delhi and back for the Auto Expo.

As expected we took off 1.30 hours late from Dubai and 1.15 hours late from Delhi. Added to this was a ridiculous Air India rule in Dubai whereby your liquor purchases at Dubai are not handed over to you but sent to the departure lounge where you have to go and pick it up from Duty Free Staff.

The departure lounge of any India-bound flight looks like a refugee camp on most occassions thanks to haphazard queues (our people do not believe in queing - they HAVE to barge in), oversized hand baggage and the tendency to discard trolleys just about everywhere without a care.

With the additional queue for the duty free booze INSIDE the departure lounge, the departure area looked like the outside of a cricket stadium. I decided to go back to the Irish Village and have a few more beers while people sorted themselves out. That made my wait more pleasurable and I finally reached the lounge with the last bunch of passengers.

Departure was remote - by bus, not through the aero bridge. More cursing of Air India followed.

However when the bus arrived below the aircraft, everyone was stunned. There stood a gleaming, WELL LIT aircraft.

We got inside and we couldnt believe our eyes. We were greeted by a pair of extremely goodlooking girls who were GENUINELY smiling. The aircraft was brightly lit and looked brand new. As we walked through the first class into our cattle-class section we were stunned by the opulance of it all. The first class looked truly regal.

We reach cattle class and there are MORE goodlooking girls. Wow. Economy looks like Emirates "business class" from the space available. I sit down and I'm truly impressed by the legroom on offer in Economy. In front of me is a 10" widescreen monitor. In Air India! I quickly look up the entertainment section and find that there's actually quite a large selection of movies available.

The aircraft takes off and a very pleasant young man accompanied by a smiling young lady come over with the drinks trolley. I feel like some rum and coke. "Of course, Sir" is the answer and they actually deposit 2 miniature bottles of Bacardi and 2 Pepsis on my rather large tray table.

I dont like Pepsi, so I ask if they have Coke. The young lady actually stops serving others, goes back to the galley and returns triumphtantly with the Diet Coke I requested. This is NOT Air India.

The food arrives and its delicious. The salad was brilliant and I enjoy it. The girl asks me how my meal is and I say its terrific, the salad is brilliant. In a few moments she's passing by again and she deposits one more salad bowl, salt and pepper and one more serving of dessert on my table. I rub my eyes in disbelief.

I decide to catch a movie and find a whole selection of movies in Hindi, English, International and Malayalam on offer! Terrific audio selection too. I see the 'classics' section in Hindi and am stuck between watching Sholay for the nth time and watching Yaarana for the n-20th time. I decide to watch Yaarana again.

The girl turns up with a blanket, a small bottle of water, a plastic tumbler and a pillow. I'm feeling a bit embarassed by all this attention - I had only asked for a pillow for my bad back.

On my return flight the experience is similar. I watch "In Pursuit of Happiness" on the flight which kind of dampens my mood, but the service was as good as before.

Welcome to Air India's brand new 777-300ER aircraft and the effect it seems to have had on the crew! Except for one stewardess with an attitude (towards badly dressed passengers - poor chaps who have paid as much as the rest of us, and I gave her a small lecture on how to behave) this is truly a massive turnaround!
Old 19th January 2008, 22:38   #267
Senior - BHPian

Good to know about the great turnaround in Air India's service levels!

Mr.Thulasidas is in serious business for sure!
Old 19th January 2008, 22:39   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sam Kapasi : ... my last flight to delhi had a pretty lady with some pretty bad BO..
Sam, you should have given her a proper dressing down. lol.
Old 23rd January 2008, 22:31   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

A very important precaution

Sorry if this has been posted in a wrong thread but as this topic covers Air travel, I thoiught of posting it here. Its VERY IMPORTANT though, especially for Indian citizens on International Travel.

Though I had earlier received this information in a forward some time ago someone had termed it as a hoax.
However, after reading the recent experience of a friend, who is based in Australia, in another forum I'm convinced this is a serious matter to be alerted about. Copied & pasted the post of my friend:

Indian citizens who have valid visa labels for different countries stuck in their passports, please be careful when you submit them at Passport offices in India for renewal of passport and also at the immigration counters at the airports..
My wife and kids had valid visas in their passports stuck by Australian High commission New Delhi during Nov 2006 valid until Nov 2010. After that they had travelled to Australia in Dec 2006 and then went back to Chennai. Both my kids passports were to expire in June 2007. So they applied for new passports by submitting their old passports (which carried currently valid visa until 2010) at the Chennai passport office. Along with the kids passports, my wife’s passport was also submitted for ‘parent verification’ purpose. After that the kids and my wife got back their new and old passports and they never cared to look into them.
When they were travelling to Australia a month back, some officials in Singapore airport noticed that their Aussie visa stamps have been stuck with a small sticker over the printed figure 2010 and altered with pen as 06 on the top of 10.This was not noticed by the immigration babu sitting at the Chennai airport!!! Luckily the Singapore officers checked up thru computer with their Aussie counterparts and found that the visas are valid until 2010. Also the immigration point at Sydney airport checked the validity on their computer database and they were let into Australia.
I presently got fresh stickers/labels of visas stuck in my family members passports by visiting the Aussie immigration office at Lee Street, Sydney, and explaining the whole thing. You may ask how do I say for sure that it is done in Indian Passport office? Answer: My wife had not submitted the passport anywhere else or had given to anybody else the passport after returning back from Australia in Jan 2007.
Why are Govt officials in India doing this to Indians who have valid visas? I had got email forwards before this telling that some officials tare off the visa pages at airports and the passengers come to know of it only at the destination country’s airport! I had What can be the motivation? God knows! Is it just simple jealousy shown towards fellow citizens travelling to foreign countries?. Or is it any conspiracy to extract money at the last minute when the passenger is ready to board the flight?
I could guess something like this: The official at the passport office have an understanding with the immigration official at the airport. After doing the tampering of visa in the passport office he notes down the passport number and communicates to the official in the immigration in the airport. The airport guy waits for the noted passport holder to pass thru immigration while travelling overseas. He points out to the shocked passenger that they do not have a valid visa and hence cannot board the flight. (He knows for sure that in all advanced countries visa stamps are checked with the computer database and hence if the passenger reached that country there may not be much of a problem. But he just scares the poor passenger.) Then after a lot of tension given to the passenger and the family, he calls them aside and tells them secretly that they will be allowed to board provided they pay up a hefty sum in INR or some other currency as bribe. The poor passenger does not want to miss his flight, so he pays up. What an idea!
You may ask why it did not happen to my wife and children. Either the guy was absent on the day. Or he keeps checking only for a month or so and stops checking after that. Most Indians get their passports renewed just when they are about to travel. In my wife’s case her kids renewed their passports in June 2007 and travelled to Australia only in December 2007. There was a 6 months time gap.
Just be careful when you give your passport to the policeman at the Indian airport gate, at the immigration counter and to any govt office in India!!! Check up all the valid visa pages especially.

Last edited by Stanher : 23rd January 2008 at 22:34.
Old 14th February 2008, 12:02   #270
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sam

Have you seen this yet? Coming soon to an airport near you is the new Nepal-based low-cost airline promoted by Air Arabia - FLY YETI!

Last edited by Steeroid : 14th February 2008 at 12:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks