Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2020, 22:15   #12571
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by can View Post
Hi Friends, the number of passengers allowed in private car for inter state travel is 3. Is this including the driver or is it 1 driver + 3 passengers?
Driver plus 2 passengers.
Old 11th May 2020, 22:55   #12572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by can View Post
e number of passengers allowed in private car for inter state trave
The overall rule is driver +2 , however KA and KL has a mention in the guidelines for those travelling from other states that they can have upto 4 passengers in cars and 5 people in SUVs.

You can find the KL guidelines in post here by Sandsun (All Roads to Kerala)
Old 12th May 2020, 20:01   #12573
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Will be traveling to Palakkad from Chennai tomorrow early morn
Apologies for a late response! Let me detail my trip and a day's experience in a govt. quarantine facility.

So on the previous day, I realised my PayTM Fastag has been CLOSED for no apparent reason!

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 1787
Size:  12.1 KB

I checked out the in-app FAQ/help section and could not find a reason why this should have happened and spoke to the customer care personnel. He pointed out that although I had not submitted any request for Fastag closure, this has happened and well, it has happened and that the tag cannot be re-activated. The only solution is to apply for a new tag. Sigh! So much for a cash-less trip I thought.

Anyways, I woke up around 3:30 AM the next day, quickly prepared sambar, loaded all the luggage, took a shower and a tea and, I started from my apartment around 4:10 AM. Picked up my colleague's relatives from a corner of Chennai, approx. 22 km from where I stay in Porur and decided to take the Vellore - Krishnagiri route. I usually don't take the Ulunderpet route since it has a mix of 2 and 4 lane roads which keeps merging in and out. Some 40 km into the journey, we come across the first check-post setup by the cops. It takes us almost 10 minutes to clear the barricade and cops stop us noticing the KL registration number of the car. They ask us for the relevant pass, where are we headed to, where are we coming from and notice the senior gentleman, the lady and her 3 y.o. daughter seated at the rear. They ask us to park the car and make an entry in the register at the booth operated by volunteers.

I parked the car, took the pass and the Aadhar card along and, stood in the queue at the booth. The queue appeared to be progressing slowly as the volunteers seem to be making manual entries of each traveler in a book. There is a QR code on both the KL and TN passes which could have been quickly scanned with a QR code scanner app on the phone but nevermind. No one is following any social distancing on the queue either. So my turn comes up after 10 minutes, I show him the pass and a volunteer casually asks for the same details - where are we headed to, where are we coming from and which car. Alright you may go! He did not enter any details and casually asked me to proceed. No temperature checks either!

We resume the journey and stop around 7:30 AM after the second toll, for a quick breakfast. We had carried some home-made food, plenty of drinking water and disposable plates, spoons, old newspaper etc. Had some idli-sambar and we resumed the trip. En route, we keep crossing several police check-posts and they were all pretty useless - no thermal scanning, a casual verification of passes and we're let go. Such a waste of time!

As far as toll booths go, contrary to what I had expected, the cash-only booths at the tolls were relatively empty compared to the Fastag-only booths. There was the risk of getting infected however. Hand sanitizers FTW! The staffs manning the booths had masks and some had a complete transparent shield covering their face!

Around 2 PM, we finally reached the much awaited Walayar border where the first round of checks were being done. They check for a valid pass right at the border. We proceed and 2 km ahead, the main road is barricaded and all the vehicles enter through the service lane towards the erstwhile sales tax post. Here's where the queue starts.

All Roads to Kerala-img_20200508_140932.jpg

All the vehicles proceed slowly and here's where one traveller alights the vehicle and has to stand in the queue at one of the several counters; there were around 15-20 of them. As the queue progresses, the vehicle is expected to reach the sales tax parking lot and the driver has to park the car, get off and accompany the person standing in the queue. It was all very confusing in the beginning. Luckily, I managed to find a parking spot right next to the special queue which were meant for pregnant women and parents accompanying young children. I stood in the queue for barely 2 mins before our turn came up. Produced the pass, they did a temperature check on the fist (!), noted down all the details manually, tore off a piece of paper from the register and handed it over:

All Roads to Kerala-img_20200508_151120.jpg

I had known beforehand that the 14-day institutional quarantine mandated by the govt. is a must for people travelling from red zones and not just containment zones. i.e. guys like me have to stay in a lodge whereas senior citizens over 60 years of age, children less than 14 years and their guardians can be home quarantined. The paper indicated 'Chembai Music College' and I had to go to the college for further instructions. We were out of the dreaded Walayar check-post in 2 hours thanks to the 3 y.o. kid.

So here's where I bid bye to my co-travellers who were headed to Cochin. Their cab had come to pick them up from Cochin with an inter-district travel pass. Transferred their luggage to the cab and I set off to the Chembai College. Not quite the music-to-my-ears kind of news! But boy, was I glad I was finally in my hometown! I reached the college, parked the car besides the main road and I see a sizeable crowd there. The Revenue Department (Tahsildars, Dy. Tahsildars) is in charge of allotting quarantine institutions.

All Roads to Kerala-img_20200508_170649.jpg

This was a quite a tiring day, having woken up at 3:30 AM and driving 600+ km, I felt like a log of wood. I just wanted a place to take a shower and crash; food be damned. After waiting for over 4 hours, I was given a lodge near Palakkad railway station - Breeze Lodge; that's about 6 km from my home. Palakkad folks would know - anything in Palakkad is never far. It's a small place.

As I drove to the lodge, I painted a picture of the place I was about to move in for my quarantine. No parking lot for such a small lodge obviously so I park the car besides the road (most establishments and shops are closed anyway). The room wasn't really clean so to say, it had a dark ambience, unclean bathroom the floors and WC which hasn't seen Lizol since ages.

All Roads to Kerala-img_20200508_200701.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img_20200508_200708.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img_20200508_200742.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img_20200508_200746.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img_20200508_200824.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img_20200509_092307.jpg

There was a balcony with bird poop and tree leaves all over. It did have quite the view though overlooking Palakkad Junction.

All Roads to Kerala-img_20200508_202903.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img_20200509_152443.jpg

I ordered food from Swiggy (porotta and beef baby; we're in God's own Country!), took a quick shower and ate the food (I was bloody famished!). Parents had come for a quick visit at the lodge along with some linen; man, I hate bed bugs! We stood on the road and spoke maintaining a good deal of distance but not before the caretaker shooed them off. It felt as if the relatives were visiting a convict in prison! I reached my room and crashed.

Finally, after a good sleep, the caretaker knocked at 8 AM for breakfast - upma and sambar. Tasted good. And it was hygienic too. Freshened up and I had it. Stepped out of the room and I met a co-traveller who was in quarantine. We sat besides the common balcony, started chatting and quickly became friends. Turned out to be a nice guy. You can see his Tiago parked besides the road.

All Roads to Kerala-img_20200509_094149.jpg

Couple of hours in, dad went to the municipality office to see if something can be done to bring me home. He had already spoken to an IAS officer who's posted as the panchayat secretary at Trivandrum. She had spoken to a few officers in charge at the Palakkad Municipality. They asked us to give a written declaration, signed by the 3 of us - parents and I, that I shall not flout any norms whilst under home quarantine and that I have a dedicated room with an attached washroom. Finally gave it to the authorities and got home quarantine approved. Quite a relief! But by then, the KL govt too had relaxed the norms and they were permitting home quarantine for folks coming from the red zone.

Before I end, I must thank all the people who're posted in the line of duty - volunteers, cops, healthcare workers, revenue dept officials, municipal staff, cleaning staff etc. who are risking their lives, toiling day and night to keep things under control in the state during these trying times. Stay safe guys! I was blessed with a baby boy today morn. I cannot wait for the quarantine to end on May 22! He was the reason I drove down last week.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th May 2020 at 00:43.
Gannu_1 is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 07:45   #12574
BHPian

(A bit out of topic here...)
Hope everyone is safe and some are lucky to be home . Am from Trichur, Kerala, working in a public sector bank at Mangalore. What would be the best option for me to go to native and come back (definitely its unauthorized absence :( )?
Presently am having my bike only and I have got a pass for the bike on 16th May. Train tickets are not available till may end.
My doubt is what is the procedure for return to Mangalore? As per my enquiries, KA govt is allowing only KA residents to return and that too with institutional qurantine. Any option for relaxation for the same ?
Old 13th May 2020, 12:32   #12575
BHPian

Hi all,

Here is a post by a friend who travelled from Bangalore to Cochin via Walayar yesterday. Useful for whoever is planning to return back to Kerala.

https://joslockdowndiaries.blogspot....-home.html?m=1
kap04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 12:42   #12576
BHPian

Hi friends,

A cousin is driving to Telicherry from Bangalore right now, on an emergency. got news that the Virajpet-Iritty sector is closed.

Can I get some feedback on which routes are currently open ? Is the Kutta
route OK to take ?

Thanks in advance !

Regards,
Old 13th May 2020, 12:54   #12577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Can I get some feedback on which routes are currently open ? Is the Kutta
route OK to take ?
As far as I know, he can enter the state through the check post mentioned on the Kerala Pass. Banglore being a red zone, unlikely he will be allowed to enter without one.
Aditya_Bhp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 13:06   #12578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
As far as I know, he can enter the state through the check post mentioned on the Kerala Pass. Banglore being a red zone, unlikely he will be allowed to enter without one.
Hi,

Thanks. However, she is travelling with an Emergency Medical pass from the Kerala Govt . That does not mention the checkpost for entry.

Read earlier in this thread that only MUthanga and Kasargod checkposts are
open between Karnataka and Kerala.

A confirmation of the above would be helpful, since both are circuitous for Telicherry.

Regards,
Old 13th May 2020, 14:00   #12579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks. However, she is travelling with an Emergency Medical pass from the Kerala Govt . That does not mention the checkpost for entry.

Read earlier in this thread that only MUthanga and Kasargod checkposts are
open between Karnataka and Kerala.

A confirmation of the above would be helpful, since both are circuitous for Telicherry.

Regards,
Yes one can enter Kerala only through thalapady( kasargod) and muthanga( wayanad) check posts from Karnataka.

Note: Thalapady is in Karnataka. Kerala check post is immediately after you cross Karnataka border.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 13th May 2020 at 14:22.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 14:42   #12580
Distinguished - BHPian

Please note that there is mandatory institutional quarantine declared for those traveling from other states to KA, so its better to check the guideline for the same even on a medical emergency.

Also, KL pass issued is valid only till KL border, for further travel she may have to get pass from KA.
Old 13th May 2020, 15:31   #12581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Please note that there is mandatory institutional quarantine declared for those traveling from other states to KA, so its better to check the guideline for the same even on a medical emergency.

Also, KL pass issued is valid only till KL border, for further travel she may have to get pass from KA.
She is travelling from KA Bangalore to KL Thalaserry
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 15:37   #12582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Yes, plus, she obtained a pass from Karnataka Govt also (just in case), so
in that aspect she should be OK. Just crossing my fingers for her to be able
to cross Muthanga without too much delay.

Regards,
Old 13th May 2020, 15:45   #12583
Senior - BHPian

Muthanga entries were smooth yesterday too for people with valid pass and documents. One can expect delay with the queue. She can even approach the helpdesk citing the urgency for quick check out.
Old 13th May 2020, 16:22   #12584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Okay, I misread the query.

Quote:
Just crossing my fingers for her to be able
to cross Muthanga without too much delay.
There is no much delay now since those with valid passes only are let through from border.

My experience during last Sunday is mentioned here (Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries).
Old 17th May 2020, 01:04   #12585

Hey guys!

I am planning to drive down to Kochi from Hyderabad. We are a group of 4, 3 in a car and 1 person on a bike.
We have gotten the permits from Kerala and Telengana. We have chosen the slot at Walayar on 21st May (Thursday).

Our route plan is:
Hyderabad -> Bangalore -> Salem -> Coimbatore -> Walayar -> Ernakulam.

We plan to start from Hyderabad around 2pm on the 20th and drive till Salem, rest up for a couple of hours and start again for Walayar from Salem, to get there by the time the checkpost opens up. We will be carrying food and water with us.

Are there any special considerations we should be taking into account for the journey?
Also, are petrol bunks our best bet for restrooms on the road? If so, are there any recommended bunks on our route that we could use?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks