Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2010, 15:23   #2011
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But then as Raj mentioned, what is the protest all about?
Basically from news reports, due to the congested nature of the state and population, people are unwilling to give up land for widening.

So I guess now the widening is in fact happening between EKM and TCR. Is it being widened to 45 meters or 60 meters? This again was a bone of contention.
Old 21st December 2010, 15:41   #2012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Basically from news reports, due to the congested nature of the state and population, people are unwilling to give up land for widening.

So I guess now the widening is in fact happening between EKM and TCR. Is it being widened to 45 meters or 60 meters? This again was a bone of contention.
IIRC it is 45 meters. The link below also says the same.

NH widening stalled by LDF govt?s conditions
Old 21st December 2010, 16:01   #2013
Senior - BHPian

Widening is currently happening between Angamaly and Trichur(turn off to Ollur, 10 kms before Trichur). I believe it's been happening for the past two years or so. The widening has been completed at various places intermittently, so it like partially complete. The stretch between Angamaly and Chalakudy is worse than the rest of the stretch partly due to frequent deviations along this stretch and more so because the lanes have not been marked on this stretch wherever the tarring is complete.For lighting, you have to depend on solely your car's headlamps.Once this stretch is complete, there should be a good reduction in travel time between Trichur and Ernakulam. AFAIK, this is the most congested road in the entire state.

Last edited by longhorn : 21st December 2010 at 16:04.
Old 21st December 2010, 16:40   #2014
jp1
BHPian

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Munnar this weekend. Planning to take following route

Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Bhawani-Salem-Perandurai-Vijapuri-Tirrupur-Paladam-Udumalapettai-Chinnar-Marayoor-Munnar

Anyone has taken this route recently and how is the road conditions? I am aware that upto Salem, the roads are excellent. How about Salem to Munnar via the above route?
Old 21st December 2010, 17:40   #2015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
^^
Hopefully will give you an update tomorrow. I'm driving down to Cochin tonight.
Waiting for the latest updates. Would you recommend Palakkad-Thrissur via NH 47 or via Ottappalam?
Old 21st December 2010, 18:15   #2016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
Waiting for the latest updates. Would you recommend Palakkad-Thrissur via NH 47 or via Ottappalam?
Had gone down to Kerala for a day last weekend and on the return journey, Sharma Volvo took the Plkd-Tsr route. It seems that a lot of patch work has been done. I think there were 2-3 places were it slowed down for potholes, but otherwise seemed driveable. Not at any fast pace though.

Oh, don't get carried away by the fact that I was in a Volvo. The suspension had passed its prime, so each pothole/patch made its presence felt!
Old 21st December 2010, 18:20   #2017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Munnar this weekend. Planning to take following route

Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Bhawani-Salem-Perandurai-Vijapuri-Tirrupur-Paladam-Udumalapettai-Chinnar-Marayoor-Munnar

Anyone has taken this route recently and how is the road conditions? I am aware that upto Salem, the roads are excellent. How about Salem to Munnar via the above route?
Any particular reason why you want to go via Tiruppur ? Passing Tiruppur town can slow you down quite a bit. The faster route to Udumalpettai is Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpettai : Good roads and not very heavy traffic.
Old 21st December 2010, 18:27   #2018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
Palakkad-Thrissur is still in terrible shape even after the so called patch work. The upper crust of the road layer is gone in a lot of places and there are numerous sharp pot holes. While returning I will definitely opt for the Ottappalam route.

General update - Avinashi stretch is quite manageable even with a lot of minor diversions.
Old 21st December 2010, 18:55   #2019
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Any particular reason why you want to go via Tiruppur ? Passing Tiruppur town can slow you down quite a bit. The faster route to Udumalpettai is Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpettai : Good roads and not very heavy traffic.
No particular reason, I just found this route while googling mentioning it is the easiest route. I would take the route suggested by you, Thank you. So from Perundurai I need to take deviation from NH to SH, hope I am right.
jp
Old 21st December 2010, 20:36   #2020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No particular reason, I just found this route while googling mentioning it is the easiest route. I would take the route suggested by you, Thank you. So from Perundurai I need to take deviation from NH to SH, hope I am right.
Yes - you need to take a left turn from the NH to get on to the State Highway to Kangeyam. Make sure you ask locals for directions to the next major destination at Kangeyam as well as Dharapuram because there are multiple state / National highways crossing at these places and there's every possibility missing a signboard and taking a wrong road.
Old 21st December 2010, 20:38   #2021
BHPian

I plan to drive down to Trivandrum from Chennai with stop overs at Palakaad and near Kunnamkulam. The trip is not yet confirmed.

Could you suggest a good route from Kunnamkulam to TVM, and how is the current conditions of this route ? What would be the travelling time if i were to sedate speed in an SX4? Also any good hotels which is also economical?
Old 21st December 2010, 21:56   #2022
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:

As Kala said, no need to go into Tiruppur. Go via Kangeyam, Dharapuram.

Quote:
Yes - you need to take a left turn from the NH to get on to the State Highway to Kangeyam. Make sure you ask locals for directions to the next major destination at Kangeyam as well as Dharapuram because there are multiple state / National highways crossing at these places and there's every possibility missing a signboard and taking a wrong road.
This is a very tricky part and hence you need to be careful. NH47 by-passes Perindurai completely and hence before you know, you would Kms away from where you need to exit.

There is an exit for Perindurai town and you need to take that and drive for about 2-4 km to hit the town. Then as Kala said ask locals for Kangeyam road. Its also marked (but I guess in Tamil). There is a railway crossing above which an overbridge was being constructed, Not sure of its status today.

Be aware that Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpet section, does not have any major toilet/hotels. Hence plan your breaks accordingly. You can get packed curd-rice. If you are a non-veg, I guess options are much more.
Old 21st December 2010, 22:26   #2023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Could you suggest a good route from Kunnamkulam to TVM, and how is the current conditions of this route ? What would be the travelling time if i were to sedate speed in an SX4? Also any good hotels which is also economical?
I think NH47 option (Kunnamkulam-Thrissur-Ernakulam-Alappuzha-Kollam-TVM) would be the straightforward option though there are broken stretches now and then. The other option (SH1 or MC Road) (Kunnamkulam-Thrissur-Angamaly-Perumbavur-Muvattupuzha-Kottayam-Kottarakkara-TVM) has significant twists and curves but it has been relaid recently. You can search previous posts in this thread for the exact description of road condition.
Old 22nd December 2010, 05:34   #2024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I plan to drive down to Trivandrum from Chennai with stop overs at Palakaad and near Kunnamkulam. The trip is not yet confirmed.

Unless you absolutley need to get to Palakkad and Kunnamkulam on your trip to TVM , i would suggest that you plan for these places on your return trip so that you can come down straight to TVM through Tamilnadu and on return you can cover PGT and KUNLM so that you can time your trip through the NH 47 in the non peak hours , the road becomes more or less congestion free after 1000 hrs in the the night to about 0800 in the morning. outside this time hell literally break loose on this road.
Old 22nd December 2010, 07:43   #2025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I think NH47 option (Kunnamkulam-Thrissur-Ernakulam-Alappuzha-Kollam-TVM) would be the straightforward option though there are broken stretches now and then. The other option (SH1 or MC Road) (Kunnamkulam-Thrissur-Angamaly-Perumbavur-Muvattupuzha-Kottayam-Kottarakkara-TVM) has significant twists and curves but it has been relaid recently. You can search previous posts in this thread for the exact description of road condition.
@Sbraj, thanks for the route. I think I'll try the NH 47 route, unless the other one is more scenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Unless you absolutley need to get to Palakkad and Kunnamkulam on your trip to TVM , i would suggest that you plan for these places on your return trip so that you can come down straight to TVM through Tamilnadu and on return you can cover PGT and KUNLM so that you can time your trip through the NH 47 in the non peak hours , the road becomes more or less congestion free after 1000 hrs in the the night to about 0800 in the morning. outside this time hell literally break loose on this road.
@hellstar, thanks for the suggestion. I do need to stop over at PGT and KUNLM both ways, that is excuse to take the car . I would be staying for a day or two both at PGT and KUNLM. If taking the road, I would be using the whole week for this trip. I need to be at TVM Lourde Church on the 29th.

Any good suggestions on Hotels, in the acco thread Pankaj and Maurya were mentioned. Are these still good, also how is Ginger ?

Thanks
Raghu

Most Viewed