Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2011, 10:10   #2116
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmaddy View Post
Can you suggest where we need to stop for breakfast, lunch and tea break.
Places to eat, while on BLR-Salem stretch are:
1) A2B (Adyar Ananda Bhavan) at Chinnar before Krishnagiri, roughly 70km from BLR. This is on left side while heading south.
2) A2B before Dharmapuri toll, on right side.
3) GRT Grand at the four way circle on Salem bypass, on the left. This was recommended to me by ampere and many thanks to him. Very neat, ample parking and good place for relaxing for an hour. Slightly expensive, buffet breakfast at INR300 per person.

I don't frequently do NH47 stretch on Salem-Palakkad, following are the eateries that I am aware of:
1) Sri Saravana Bhavan at Thekkalur, between Avinashi and Coimbatore.
2) Fine&Dine Hotel, 38 KM before Palakkad, 2 KM after Coimbatore bypass.

Once in Kerala, there are good number of places to eat I guess.

Last edited by sbraj : 11th January 2011 at 10:12.
Old 11th January 2011, 10:55   #2117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I am at Kottayam now. Need to drive to Bangalore tomorrow evening/night.

Planning to take Dindigul route for the first time. Any idea about the road conditions?
I travelled that route last Monday. Road from Kottayam till Vandiperiyar is quite decent. Vandiperiyar to Kumily (about 15 kms) is very rough, the descent from Kumily to Lower Camp (again about 10 kms) is pretty bad with plenty of potholes. From there on till Dindigul is pretty ok road (2 lane) with the odd pothole here and there - especially around villages.

Once you hit NH7 at Dindigul, the rest of the route is a breeze and you can reach Hosur in no time. From Hosur to Bangalore can be OK to bad depending on the time of the day, I guess you know those conditions very well. Attaching my GPS log for that trip - just in case you'd like to know the approximate time that you need to cover each section.
Attached Files
File Type: xls ktym-blr-via-kumily-dindigul.xls (16.0 KB, 382 views)

Last edited by kala : 11th January 2011 at 11:00.
Old 11th January 2011, 13:04   #2118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I travelled that route last Monday. Road from Kottayam till Vandiperiyar is quite decent. Vandiperiyar to Kumily (about 15 kms) is very rough, the descent from Kumily to Lower Camp (again about 10 kms) is pretty bad with plenty of potholes. From there on till Dindigul is pretty ok road (2 lane) with the odd pothole here and there - especially around villages.

Once you hit NH7 at Dindigul, the rest of the route is a breeze and you can reach Hosur in no time. From Hosur to Bangalore can be OK to bad depending on the time of the day, I guess you know those conditions very well. Attaching my GPS log for that trip - just in case you'd like to know the approximate time that you need to cover each section.
Thanks Kala for the details. I will be starting from Kidangoor by today evening/night. Hope there are no restrictions on night travel.

How is the night traffic in Kottayam-Dindigul stretch?
Old 11th January 2011, 13:23   #2119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kala, went through the track. Considering the road conditions, do you think that Kumili route is good over NH47?
Old 11th January 2011, 13:53   #2120
BHPian

Quote:
Kala, went through the track. Considering the road conditions, do you think that Kumili route is good over NH47?
Coolclouds,

Why don't you go via Kattappana, Puliyanmala, Cumbum mettu, Cumbum, route? The roads are extremely good and the traffic is very less. I had taken this route 2 weeks back. I guess the traffic is more via the Kumily route due to the Sabarimala season.
Old 11th January 2011, 14:02   #2121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Kala for the details. I will be starting from Kidangoor by today evening/night. Hope there are no restrictions on night travel.

How is the night traffic in Kottayam-Dindigul stretch?
No restrictions on night traffic as far as I know. And traffic was not too bad when I travelled, it was mostly the Sabarimala crowd. If you're starting from Kidangoor, I think going via Pala - Elikkulam - Kanjirappally would be shorter for you.

The only issue you could face is fog. I didn't encounter any till Kumily, but from thereon till Lower camp it was foggy - density varying from very light to reasonably heavy in patches.

Quote:
For me the biggest advantage of this route is the lower traffic density. I haven't travelled through NH47 too much of late - only travelled from Chalakudy to Ernakulam during the last trip, and found the traffic situation pretty bad even at about 3:30 in the afternoon. So I personally would any day prefer the slower (average 40 to 45kms) trip upto Theni than the heavy traffic route to Coimbatore.

Your travel time either way would probably be the more or less the same, give or take an hour - so for me the possibility of a more relaxed drive swings the balance in favour of the Kumily route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Coolclouds,

Why don't you go via Kattappana, Puliyanmala, Cumbum mettu, Cumbum, route? The roads are extremely good and the traffic is very less. I had taken this route 2 weeks back. I guess the traffic is more via the Kumily route due to the Sabarimala season.
That wouldn't be a bad idea either if the road is good. You could go via Pala-Idikki to Kattappana. Distance might be 10-15 kms more, but Sabarimala traffic would certainly be less on that route.

Last edited by kala : 11th January 2011 at 14:07. Reason: Add comment on Lloydofcochin's msg
Old 11th January 2011, 14:17   #2122
BHPian

Quote:
That wouldn't be a bad idea either if the road is good. You could go via Pala-Idikki to Kattappana. Distance might be 10-15 kms more, but Sabarimala traffic would certainly be less on that route.
I drove from Ekm to Cumbum and back on 29th & 30th. The route I took was Mvpa-Tdpa-Idukki-Kattappana-Puliyanmala-Cumbum mettu-Cumbum. 95% of the roads were excellent and it was just like having the road for ourselves! The traffic was extremely sparse.
Old 11th January 2011, 19:15   #2123
Senior - BHPian

Returned from a long weekend trip to Kerala. Below are te updates.

Onwards Hourney : -
Electronic City - Hosur - Salem - Karur - Dindigul -Theni - Cumbom - Kumily - Kuttikkanam - Mundakkayam - Kottayam

Started around 4:30AM on Friday morning by Chevy beat, reached Kumily by 1PM with about 40 minutes break (~510KMs distance / ~8 hours drive). Started around 4:30PM on Bus from Kumily, reached Manarcad by 8PM with 5-10mins breaks in major bus stations (~100KMs distance / ~4 hours journey).

Road is superb all the way till Dindigul from Bangalore. Dindigul - Cumbom has <10% bad stretches that too only in towns like Periyakulam and good thing is most of the potholes are filled. Cumbom to Kumily has lot of bad patches in the ghat section but drivable. Kumily to Kottayam has <20% bad stretches that is especially in ghat sections before Mundakkayam.

Return Journey :-
Kottayam - Mundakkayam - Kuttikkanam - Kattappana - Kambammettu - Cumbom - Theni - Dindigul - Karur - Salem - Electronic City

Travelled in Bus from Manarcad to Kattappana on Sunday evening 5:30PM (~120KMs distance / 4 hours journey on a freaky fast private bus). Started monday morning 4:30AM on Chevy beat from Kattappana and reached home in Electronic city by 2PM with about 1 hour break (~520 KMs distance / 8.5 hours drive).

Kattappana to Cumbom road has about <10% bad patches, ghat sections are relaid but potholes started appearing due to the heavy Sabarimala traffic.
Old 11th January 2011, 20:50   #2124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
1) A2B (Adyar Ananda Bhavan) at Chinnar before Krishnagiri, roughly 70km from BLR. This is on left side while heading south.
2) A2B before Dharmapuri toll, on right side.
3) GRT Grand at the four way circle on Salem bypass, on the left. This was recommended to me by ampere and many thanks to him. Very neat, ample parking and good place for relaxing for an hour. Slightly expensive, buffet breakfast at INR300 per person.
The only reason I would suggest GRT is because it comes after a good distance. When it was not around, we needed to take a break immediately after 60 Km at Chinnar A2B. Since Thoppur A2B is on the other side of the road, one generally does not take a U.

That way GRT is an ideal location, as you can drive a good ~200 Km or so, before taking a much needed break!

PLUS obviously good food at any cost!
Old 12th January 2011, 11:23   #2125

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
=========================
Once in Kerala, there are good number of places to eat I guess.

Thanks a ton. Hoping to have a comfortable drive with all this info.
Old 12th January 2011, 11:51   #2126
Senior - BHPian

As long as you are not particular about white rice, there are plently of options in Kerala. Absolutely no problemo. There are a couple of good hotels near the intersection of the road to Palakkad town and Vadakancherry road. At Vadakancherry there is a Hotel Diana which is decent. Once you cross Mannuthy, there are plenty of hotels on the highway itself.
Old 12th January 2011, 12:16   #2127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Coolclouds,

Quote:
No restrictions on night traffic as far as I know. And traffic was not too bad when I travelled, it was mostly the Sabarimala crowd. If you're starting from Kidangoor, I think going via Pala - Elikkulam - Kanjirappally would be shorter for you.

The only issue you could face is fog. I didn't encounter any till Kumily, but from thereon till Lower camp it was foggy - density varying from very light to reasonably heavy in patches.

For me the biggest advantage of this route is the lower traffic density. I haven't travelled through NH47 too much of late - only travelled from Chalakudy to Ernakulam during the last trip, and found the traffic situation pretty bad even at about 3:30 in the afternoon. So I personally would any day prefer the slower (average 40 to 45kms) trip upto Theni than the heavy traffic route to Coimbatore.

Your travel time either way would probably be the more or less the same, give or take an hour - so for me the possibility of a more relaxed drive swings the balance in favour of the Kumily route.

Thanks guys,

I reached Bangalore today morning. Traveled through Kumily-Dindigul-Salem.

Few kilometers before and after Kumily is terrific and most of the other places are patched up/rough surface/potholes.

I was traveling with a person whom doctors advised rest. Each and every pothole was a trouble for me and the whole drive was too late (started at 7.30pm, reached Bangalore at 8.30am)

I personally feel that NH47 is better for night travel from Kottayam to Bangalore especially for a soft ride.
Old 13th January 2011, 11:35   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Yes the road is the same one which goes via Koduvayur. But the bridge is much before that. It is around 3 kms before it hits the Palakkad-Pollachi highway
It is near a place called Pudiyankam. When you see the broken bridge and diversion boards, just take right turn. It puts you on to NH47 after 100 meters. Once on to NH47, turn left to proceed to Trichur. Or if you must get into Alathur town, the exit to Alathur comes within 1 km towards right.
Old 15th January 2011, 19:48   #2129
BHPian

I went to Palakkad on Friday afternoon from Bangalore. 2pm to 9:30pm via Salem, Avinasi, CBE. Chengappalli to CBE had too much slow moving traffic. Road is quite OK though. While coming back this morning, owing to Pongal I suspect, there was not much traffic. 8:15am at Palakkad junction, 30 minute break at Thoppur A2B and 2:25pm at Koramangala sony world. Till 4 laning is completed, on working days I am going to stick to Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palladam - L&T route.
Old 16th January 2011, 16:03   #2130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbabu View Post
I went to Palakkad on Friday afternoon from Bangalore.
Me too went to Guruvayoor via Palakkad from Bangalore, last week. On the way back, at Salem, I exited a flyover and entered Salem town. From the flyover, it appeared to me that I am following the main road. However, I landed in Salem town and then had to wait at a signal for close to 5 mins. Again I had to drive through the town for some time.

I saw another KA registeration car took the same path. May be they are also confused like me, as more lanes in the flyover are exiting towards Salem town.

Did I loose the right way ? I could not read the smaller boards displayed in the flyover, in the available time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks