Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2011, 00:12   #2206
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi Ajith, thanks for the detailed reply. with google maps i was able to locate the place. Really appreciate your help. Also whats the diesel price in TN/ karnataka these days?
In kochi its 41.10/litre.
Old 29th March 2011, 09:46   #2207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Hi Ajith, thanks for the detailed reply. with google maps i was able to locate the place. Really appreciate your help. Also whats the diesel price in TN/ karnataka these days?
In kochi its 41.10/litre.
10 hrs is sufficient for a non aggressive driving till Bangalore outskirts.

Lowest prices for fuel is in Kerala and highest in Bangalore. I recommend you to fill up from Civil supplies corp pumps at M G Road/BTH, if you are from city.

Also please follow the exit to Bangalore in Salem flyover to bypass city (direction board on right side of the road)

Last edited by coolclouds : 29th March 2011 at 09:50.
Old 29th March 2011, 10:06   #2208
Distinguished - BHPian

Kiran:

That's the best route. Thrissur-Palghat quite bumpy with patched up roads. After Avinashi, it's 4 laned roads.

I had spotted 3 decent restaurants after Salem. One, on the same side towards Blore. I had breakfast from here last time I went to Blore.

I started at 4.30AM and reached blore at 12.30 PM.

I would suggest you to fill the tank from Cochin since it's cheaper here. Also, top the tank before reaching Karnataka.

I usually fill it from Reliance although it's almost 2.5rs more.

The salem flyover might be a bit confusing. I got it wrong the first time. Take the bridge to avoid the city.

After this, the roads will be deserted and you can maintain a constant speed of 120-140 (although not recommended ).

Last edited by naveen.raju : 29th March 2011 at 10:09.
Old 29th March 2011, 10:20   #2209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Kiran:

The salem flyover might be a bit confusing. I got it wrong the first time. Take the bridge to avoid the city.
You may check post #2130 where I posted a snap of exit to Bangalore.
Old 29th March 2011, 12:09   #2210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Kiran:

That's the best route. Thrissur-Palghat quite bumpy with patched up roads. After Avinashi, it's 4 laned roads.

I had spotted 3 decent restaurants after Salem. One, on the same side towards Blore. I had breakfast from here last time I went to Blore.

I started at 4.30AM and reached blore at 12.30 PM.

I would suggest you to fill the tank from Cochin since it's cheaper here. Also, top the tank before reaching Karnataka.

I usually fill it from Reliance although it's almost 2.5rs more.

After this, the roads will be deserted and you can maintain a constant speed of 120-140 (although not recommended ).
thanks naveen. Relinace is 48.60 /lite now, a full 7.5 rs costlier than PSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
You may check post #2130 where I posted a snap of exit to Bangalore.
Thanks coolclouds. Think I need to keep left to take the exit to bangalore, right?
Old 29th March 2011, 12:22   #2211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
thanks naveen. Relinace is 48.60 /lite now, a full 7.5 rs costlier than PSU

Thanks coolclouds. Think I need to keep left to take the exit to bangalore, right?
Yes, you are right. You need to watch for the left road as lot of vehicles will be going straight. Also the road is wide and sign board is in the right side of the road.

Better, be slow on the flyover and watch for the diversion.
Old 29th March 2011, 14:07   #2212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you are right. You need to watch for the left road as lot of vehicles will be going straight. Also the road is wide and sign board is in the right side of the road.

Better, be slow on the flyover and watch for the diversion.
The flyover is a bit confusing. Keep left and watch out for the sign board. It's hard to notice it.
Old 29th March 2011, 14:32   #2213
BHPian

@ Soccerfan : I just finished my trip from BNG to Grvyoor - Munnar & back.
Took the same route - NH7 / NH47.

While coming from Cochin : Its best to start early morning. (5 AM).
1) Breakfast break : After Thrissur / Palakkad (Not sure of specific restaurant) & plenty of good petrol pumps on way. (Reliance pumps are available too)
2) Lunch : See if you can reach Salem / Else Stop around Perundurai or lot of towns on way (NH47)
3) Snack / Tea break : Ghar Dhaba (Just after Dharmapuri toll gate) - Good petrol pump attached as well.

NH7 - itself is a bypass to Salem town.

Road condition :-
Cochin - Angamaly (Not sure)
Angamaly - Thrissur (Patchy, but drivable)
Thrissur - CBE (Good Road)
CBE - Take L&T bypass (Good road)
CBE - 23 Kms Post Avinashi (2 lane work in progress road- drivable; but lot of local traffic)
Avinashi - Salem : Excellent (4 lane)
Salem - BNG : Excellent (4 lane)
Old 29th March 2011, 14:52   #2214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45007 View Post
Road condition :-
Cochin - Angamaly (Not sure)
Angamaly - Thrissur (Patchy, but drivable)
+1
Cochin-Angamaly: Good four lane, high traffic
Angamaly-Mannuthy (Trichur Bypass): 90% four lane complete, only flyovers to be completed.

for a 5am start, breakfast can be at Palghat, lunch at Dharmapuri and evening snacks at home!

Last edited by coolclouds : 29th March 2011 at 14:55.
Old 29th March 2011, 15:47   #2215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
+1
Cochin-Angamaly: Good four lane, high traffic
Angamaly-Mannuthy (Trichur Bypass): 90% four lane complete, only flyovers to be completed.

for a 5am start, breakfast can be at Palghat, lunch at Dharmapuri and evening snacks at home!
Had taken that route yesterday.
Almost all flyovers complete. If am correct, only two flyovers left.

If you start by 4.30 and maintain a constant speed with less breaks you can even have lunch from blore. That's what I did last month.

I started at 4.30 sharp. 1st stop was after Salem for breakfast at around 9am, then the next stop was at home for lunch 1PM. Cochin - Thrissur was good and I could manage an average speed of 80km/hr. After Salem, you can manage anything above 120 constant but I stuck to 140.
Old 29th March 2011, 16:11   #2216
BHPian

Drove my Alto K10 back and forth between Bangalore and Palakkad over the weekend. While going, took Omalur->Sankari rather than via Salem. Coming back was through Salem on Monday afternoon. Chengappally to L&T byepass is terrible. Some 35-40km took 1.75 hours. Saw 2 accidents (involving maniacal bus drivers).

Points to note:
- On entry and exit to L&T byepass, police with video camera and machine guns stop cars at random to check whether you are carrying cash for TN elections :-) I had my family with me when I went to Kerala, so the Police didn't insist on opening the suitcase to check it. Just took my word for it. While coming back, I was alone and they did open my luggage (it was just a small backpack)
- Walayar checkpost was backed up a lot on both the days. Immediately after getting into Kerala, take the right lane and go slow.
- Kerala Police seem to have stepped up the "enforce seatbelt" law. After the checkpost, you have a right turn followed by 1km of straight road. Immediately after the mild blind left curve that follows, they seem to look out for non KL registration vehicles.
Old 30th March 2011, 11:55   #2217
Senior - BHPian

I need to go to Kottayam from Bangalore. Can you please let me know the best route?
Old 30th March 2011, 11:59   #2218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I need to go to Kottayam from Bangalore. Can you please let me know the best route?
Blr - Salem - dindugal - Kumily -kottayam will give you a peaceful drive. After Dindugal, you might not find options for good hotel/restrooms (except in major towns).
Roads are very good except for the 5-8 kms before and after Kumily.
I had returned to bangalore from kottayam through this route last week. Good option if you plan to drive during day time (very less traffic). This can be a disadvantage in night as you might not find people to ask for directions if you are travelling for the first time.
Old 30th March 2011, 12:00   #2219
Senior - BHPian

Salem-Coimbatore-Trichur-Angamaly (Turn left-MC Road) - Kottayam. Overall good condition.
Old 30th March 2011, 12:45   #2220
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. I am keen on taking Dindigul route as I have not taken it - my native is Ernakulam and I have been taking Salem-Coimbatore route.

Any recommendation for good hotels for overnight stay in Kottayam would be helpful?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks