Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 22:11   #2416
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

For Salem->Perundurai->Kangeyam route, I need some clarifications:
1) Where exactly on NH-47 is the 'preferred' exit for Perundurai? I know there are multiple exits but wanted to know the best one to take to proceed to Kangeyam.
2) Do we get the 3 hotels (I think their names are Aryas, Annalaxmi & Chennis) in this route? To be specific, will any of these hotels come before Perundurai exit? If yes, where exactly(which side and approximate distance from a referral point) will that be?
Old 23rd June 2011, 22:16   #2417
BHPian

[quote=ranjitp1;2403501]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Not sure what your query is,I am assuming you meant coming through Thrissur town?You will need to come through Wadakancheri Town and continue on the Thrissur road,then take the Patturaikal Bypass and continue on the outskirts of Thrissur to join East Fort Junction,go straight at the junction,left would take you to Mannuthy,instead go straight and go past Jubilee Medical College and keep following the road and you would join the NH47 under a flyover- a few meters before the NHAI Toll gate.Once on NH47,take a right towards Kochi by going under the flyover.Left would take you to Mannuthy.This way you would avoid Mannuthy traffic as well as you would join the NH47 around 10-12 kms after Mannuthy.
A friend of mine asked me a similar query a few days back for which I think this forum can help. During his Onam visit, he needs to go from somewhere very near Wadakancheri Railway Station (his ancestral home) to Mannuthy College which I know is between Trichur and Palakkad. Is there a way to avoid going anywhere Trichur town? Any short-cuts or interior roads anyone here can suggest?
Old 23rd June 2011, 23:07   #2418
BHPian

[quote=ranjitp1;2403501]
Quote:
Not sure what your query is,I am assuming you meant coming through Thrissur town?You will need to come through Wadakancheri Town and continue on the Thrissur road,then take the Patturaikal Bypass and continue on the outskirts of Thrissur to join East Fort Junction,go straight at the junction,left would take you to Mannuthy,instead go straight and go past Jubilee Medical College and keep following the road and you would join the NH47 under a flyover- a few meters before the NHAI Toll gate.Once on NH47,take a right towards Kochi by going under the flyover.Left would take you to Mannuthy.This way you would avoid Mannuthy traffic as well as you would join the NH47 around 10-12 kms after Mannuthy.
Can you please post this route from google maps
Old 24th June 2011, 11:28   #2419
Senior - BHPian

[quote=ajithbr;2403636]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

A friend of mine asked me a similar query a few days back for which I think this forum can help. During his Onam visit, he needs to go from somewhere very near Wadakancheri Railway Station (his ancestral home) to Mannuthy College which I know is between Trichur and Palakkad. Is there a way to avoid going anywhere Trichur town? Any short-cuts or interior roads anyone here can suggest?
The route he needs to take is Wadakancherry RS(station is on thrissur road)-Thrissur Road-Athani-Viyyur Central Jail-Viyyur Bridge-Chembukavu-Town Hall Road-Bishop Palace Road-East Fort Junction(Kizhakke Kota)-Left turn-You are now on the Thrissur-Palakkad Road-Keep straight and the road joins NH47 at Mannuthy and further ahead is the college on NH47

Wadakanchery, Kerala to College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences - Google Maps

Quote:

Can you please post this route from google maps
Wadakkancherry-NH47 is as follows:

Wadakanchery, Kerala to NH47, Aluva, Kerala - Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
For Salem->Perundurai->Kangeyam route, I need some clarifications:
1) Where exactly on NH-47 is the 'preferred' exit for Perundurai? I know there are multiple exits but wanted to know the best one to take to proceed to Kangeyam.
2) Do we get the 3 hotels (I think their names are Aryas, Annalaxmi & Chennis) in this route? To be specific, will any of these hotels come before Perundurai exit? If yes, where exactly(which side and approximate distance from a referral point) will that be?
Aryas is onto your right when going towards CBE,Annalakshmi is to your left,Chennis is not on NH47,it is in the SIPCOT area of Perundurai,you need to get off the NH47 and go towards your left,the hotel is however visible from the NH47(around 3kms from the highway).There are boards indicating distance to Chennis some 20 kms before you reach the turn,so there is no way you can miss it,same is the case with Aaryas and Annalakshmi,plenty of boards advertising their existence.

As for exit from NH47,Ampere would know it as he took the route recently during his drive to Valparai.
Old 24th June 2011, 11:35   #2420
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
As for exit from NH47,Ampere would know it as he took the route recently during his drive to Valparai.

The best exit is the first exit which you see while approaching Perundurai from Salem.
But do note that the hotels Arya (right) and Annalakshmi (left) come after this exit on the by-pass. If you want to have lunch, you have to the leave the first exit go on the by-pass break at Annalakhsmi.

The road just next Annalakshmi goes into the town. The hotel guys can guide. you on how to take that road and get onto Kangeyam road.

EDIT: Look at Hotel marked as Annapoorna (I think that is Annalakshmi)
http://wikimapia.org/#lat=11.2909164...6&z=17&l=0&m=b

Dont take the adjacent road. Come back towards Salem, and take the next right. That would be a main road.

(Take right towards Perundarai, and you would directly reach the main junction where you can latch on to Kangeyam road)

Last edited by ampere : 24th June 2011 at 11:45.
Old 25th June 2011, 19:25   #2421
Senior - BHPian

Was planning a Kodungallur-Bangalore run for some time now. Am totally bored of the Coimbatore-Salem-Hosur route.

Can someone update me on how feasible these routes are?
  1. Kozhikode-Thottilpalam-Mananthavady-Bavali-Mysore-Bangalore
  2. Kozhikode-Thamarassery-Bathery-Mysore-B'lore
Is Thamarassery motorable? I'd be driving a Fiat Punto - so ground clearance matters a lot!

I have driven through the Nilambur-Vazhikadavu-Gudalur-Gundlupet route few times - so not very interested in taking that route. So is the Coimbatore-Sathy-Mysore route.

Any other route suggestions? I'd be taking lots of breaks - for photography and leg stretching. Inputs on eateries would also be appreciated.
Old 25th June 2011, 19:55   #2422
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Kozhikode-Thamarassery-Bathery-Mysore-B'lore
Is Thamarassery motorable? I'd be driving a Fiat Punto - so ground clearance matters a lot!
This is the route I take to Kozhikode, only issue being you need to time it well and the one variable is Thamarassery ghat section where road surface at some of hair pins usually go bad during monsoons.
Generally, the Blr-Mysore-Bathery-Kalpetta section is good.

Last I know about the Thamarassery section was in May when it wasn't bad. My usual plan is to leave Blr by 5.30am and on the return leave Kozhikode by 6am. And if you live on the north-eastern side of Blr (Indiranagar, etc) you can potentially get stuck after Kengeri due to metro construction mess - I'm planning to take NICE road next time on my return to avoid the Raja Rajeshwari Nagar to Indiranagar stretch.
*Also, the forest checkposts on Karnataka side are open only 6am thru 9pm.

Last edited by NPV : 25th June 2011 at 19:57. Reason: added chkpost timing
Old 26th June 2011, 08:11   #2423
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry, dd not see this earlier.
Quote:
Inputs on eateries would also be appreciated.
Eateries on Karnataka side:
Ramnagara - Kamat Lokaruchi (on RHS when going from Blr), Kamat Upachar (on LHS when going from Blr)
Maddur - Maddur Tiffanys (they have restaurants on both sides of the highway), Adigas (on RHS when going from Blr)
Eateries on Kerala side:
Sulthan Bathery - Hotel Prince on RHS when going from Blr
Kalpetta - Hotel Woodlands on LHS when going from Blr

* All are Veg. eateries, except Prince and Woodlands And we had Veg. food there too !

Last edited by NPV : 26th June 2011 at 08:13.
Old 26th June 2011, 11:28   #2424
BHPian

Quote:
Was planning a Kodungallur-Bangalore run for some time now. Am totally bored of the Coimbatore-Salem-Hosur route.

Can someone update me on how feasible these routes are?
  1. Kozhikode-Thottilpalam-Mananthavady-Bavali-Mysore-Bangalore
  2. Kozhikode-Thamarassery-Bathery-Mysore-B'lore

I have driven through the Nilambur-Vazhikadavu-Gudalur-Gundlupet route few times - so not very interested in taking that route. So is the Coimbatore-Sathy-Mysore route.

Any other route suggestions? I'd be taking lots of breaks - for photography and leg stretching. Inputs on eateries would also be appreciated.
I had done the Kozhikode - Thottilpalam stretch last month and it was pretty good except a small stretch before Kuttiadi where there was some road work in progress. I did not go up to Mananthavadi instead I took a diversion after Makkiyad to proceed to Kalpetta. The Thottilpalam stretch has very less traffic compared to the Kalpetta - Bathery route and is pretty scenic too.

Thamarasserry ghats were OK last month with some bad patches in between. I did it in a Palio and did not find it tough to negotiate. But with monsoons in full swing now I'm not sure how it is. Thottilpalam ghats are fine, just spoke to my relative who took that route yesterday.

And regarding eateries - Add Mint Flower in Bathery to the list that NPV has already provided. If you are taking the Thottilpalam route you have to depend on small way side eateries until you reach Kuttiadi.

Last edited by lloydofcochin : 26th June 2011 at 11:29.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:35   #2425
BHPian

I would like to inform all travellers to Kerala: Coimbatore- Palakkad-Trichur route is in WORST condition....
I took almost 3 hrs last week.
But Trichur byepass - Cochin is a breeze, took just 40 minuts.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:57   #2426
Team-BHP Support

Maybe its a good idea to use Valparai as a by-pass option.
Salem to Pollachi is a breeze. Pollachi-Chalakuddy should be about 3 hours. The good part is it would take you beyond Trichur. The drive till Valparai is also not that difficult. Hairpins are easier. Road is narrow but good. I have hardly seen major traffic.
Old 27th June 2011, 15:27   #2427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
I would like to inform all travellers to Kerala: Coimbatore- Palakkad-Trichur route is in WORST condition....
I took almost 3 hrs last week.
But Trichur byepass - Cochin is a breeze, took just 40 minuts.
True. My dad drove to Blore last week and he had updated the road conditions saying it's in a very bad state. Thrissur-Cochin is excellent expect the heavy traffic after Aluva.

I have plans of driving to Blore by mid of July. Dont know what it will be like
Old 27th June 2011, 18:57   #2428
BHPian

Hi friends i require a favour from you all. Please say the route that can used to reach Kuttipuram in Kerala. Is there a requirement that Palakkad has to be reached first. Or is there any route to reach Kuttipuram directly from Coimbatore. Also say that whether travelling through Salem-erode-Cbe-palakkad will be a long one or is it preferable to use the Mysore side route.

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th June 2011, 19:04   #2429
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Hi friends i require a favour from you all. Please say the route that can used to reach Kuttipuram in Kerala. Is there a requirement that Palakkad has to be reached first. Or is there any route to reach Kuttipuram directly from Coimbatore. Also say that whether travelling through Salem-erode-Cbe-palakkad will be a long one or is it preferable to use the Mysore side route.

Thanks in advance.
The route via Mysore is shorter by almost 80-100 km. If you are OK with winding road, you can give it a shot.

Bangalore-Mysore-Bandipur-Gudalur-Nilambur-Melattoor-Perinthalmanna-Kuttipuram.

(Not sure of the road status from Perinthalmanna to Kuttipuram)

http://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...aFg&mra=ps&z=8
Old 27th June 2011, 19:16   #2430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post

Thanks in advance.
To go to Kuttipuram,you could either take the route Ampere mentioned,or else take the Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjagud-Muthanga-Sultan Batheri-Thamarassery-Kozhikode(Calicut)-NH17 bypass-Kuttipuram.Roads are good and this would be a faster route as opposed to the Nilambur one IMO.From Calicut,take the NH17 all the way till Kuttipuram.

St.Mary's College to Kuttipuram - Google Maps

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks