Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 15:56   #2491
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

^^^ A good part of Valparai-Vazhachal road goes through forest. The ban is enforced by forest guards.
Old 5th July 2011, 15:57   #2492
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Thanks.. Is Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkanchery deviation too not worth in night.
I think its OK till Pollachy. Not sure of it beyond all the the way to Vadakancherry.
I think for a night drive its good to stick to GQ.
Old 5th July 2011, 16:22   #2493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think its OK till Pollachy. Not sure of it beyond all the the way to Vadakancherry.
Roadwise, Pollachi-Vadakancherry wont be a big issue. But you may need to battle for life on NH-47 (people say, here NH means National Hellway) beyond Vadakancherry if you are going towards Thrissur. Yesterday's Mathrubhumi newspaper reported that about 10 kms on either side of Kuthiran accounts to about 2500 pot-holes. Add to it, the lorry traffic and the private luxury long-distance buses racing along.

BTW, if you plan to start around 4pm from Bangalore, you wont be in a real bad timing when you cross Avinashi stretch if that is your concern. If you want a safer and smoother route, take Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Sulur-Coimbatore L&T byepass route.
Old 5th July 2011, 18:15   #2494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
You may reach Palghat by 7 30-8 00, if you go by Shornur-Ottappalam. Hotel Aryas in Chandranagar,Palghat is good, but a bit costly.

I did Chalakudy-Valaprai-Pollachi-Palghat-Thrissur last sunday. Valparai-Vazhachal stretch is closed for traffic after 6PM. Roads are good. Far better than Wadakkanchery-Pattikkad stretch of National Hellway 47.
Planning to start by 2PM. What time would I reach coimbatore-avinashi stretch? Will the trafiic be high at that time.
If that is the case I will take the sulur->palladam->kangeyam->perundurai route. Is there any good eateries around comibatore bypass?
Old 5th July 2011, 18:36   #2495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guess I reach Pollachi by 11pm, but never traveled in Pollachi-Valparai-Chalakkudy route.
Has this stretch got enough sign boards and can it be done in 3hrs time, safely?
Don't try Valparai route in the night with family. The road is narrow and goes via forest. Remote chances for assistance, if any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Planning to start by 2PM. What time would I reach coimbatore-avinashi stretch? Will the trafiic be high at that time.
If that is the case I will take the sulur->palladam->kangeyam->perundurai route. Is there any good eateries around comibatore bypass?
2pm start will take you to Avinashi by around 6.30 - 7pm, which is peak traffic time in that stretch. I think, its better to stick to Kangeyam route.
Old 5th July 2011, 18:36   #2496
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I had taken this route in April when it was re surfaced. It was brilliant that time but have no idea what it will be like since the monsoons are on.
Old 5th July 2011, 18:53   #2497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
2pm departure from E-city would bring you to Avinashi at 7pm.There is Saravana Bhavan on the L&T bypass onto your left,it is open till 930-10pm.After that there is Aaryas at Palakkad.Do not take the NH47 at night,it is a nightmare.

Quote:
Why is it closed, due to monsoon/land slide?

Thanks.. Is Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkanchery deviation too not worth in night.
Also Valparai route is closed at night,so no point going via that route.Please do not get confused with Vadakkanchery & Vadakkencherry when you ask for directions,both are entirely different places.The one on NH47 is pronounced vada"KEN"cherry and the one on the shoranur thrissur road is pronounced wada"KAN"cherry
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 19:02   #2498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
2pm departure from E-city would bring you to Avinashi at 7pm.There is Saravana Bhavan on the L&T bypass onto your left,it is open till 930-10pm.After that there is Aaryas at Palakkad.Do not take the NH47 at night,it is a nightmare.

Also Valparai route is closed at night,so no point going via that route.Please do not get confused with Vadakkanchery & Vadakkencherry when you ask for directions,both are entirely different places.The one on NH47 is pronounced vada"KEN"cherry and the one on the shoranur thrissur road is pronounced wada"KAN"cherry
If you are going to wada"KAN"cherry on Shornur-Thrissur route, ask for the route specifying Wada"KAN"cherry Railway Station if it is to be better clear to the person you are asking. My friend gave this tip and it worked for him
Old 5th July 2011, 19:12   #2499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
If you are going to wada"KAN"cherry on Shornur-Thrissur route, ask for the route specifying Wada"KAN"cherry Railway Station if it is to be better clear to the person you are asking. My friend gave this tip and it worked for him
Thats a good discovery Ajith.Vada"KEN"cherry does not have a railway station(Thank God for small mercies).
Old 6th July 2011, 21:45   #2500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thats a good discovery Ajith.Vada"KEN"cherry does not have a railway station(Thank God for small mercies).
Actually, it would have had one if the 50-year old proposal of Kollengode-Thrissur railway line had been materialized. This would have tremendously benefitted the Ernakulam/Thrissur->Madurai/Trichy sector but sadly the following reasons seemed to put this in the shelf itself:
1) Ecological disturbances around Peechi
2) Land acquisition issues
3) Ghat section which was a challenge in the early days
4) Finally, the laughing stock reason - NON-PROFITABILITY !
Any of Ernakulam/Thrissur->Madurai/Trichy train would be reasonably packed from day one, I believe. Also, this would have relieved pressure from highly saturated Thrissur-Shoranur-Palakkad stretch as well. Last but not the least, it would he really helpful of elderly people visiting Palani/Madurai/Rameshwaram/Velankanni too.
Old 8th July 2011, 18:00   #2501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad
Iam planning a Thrissur-Kollam drive this weekend. Anyone have driven in this stretch recently? How is road condition particularly in Cherthala-Kollam stretch? Thanks in advance
An update- I did this trip today morning. All the potholes in the Alleppy town and kalavur, Ambalspuzha etc are repaired. It was a smooth drive and covered tcr-klm in four hours.
Old 10th July 2011, 00:26   #2502
BHPian

Took Mysore-Nilambur route for my BLR-Cochin trip, yesterday.
Overall the road condition is good. Only problem faced in Perinthalmanna-Pattamby ~30K stretch, where tarmac is broken down, in most places; but there are no dangerous/big potholes, to worry.
Old 10th July 2011, 11:51   #2503
Team-BHP Support

Beyond Pattambi, did you go via Kunnamkulam or Wadakancherry/Trichur?
The other advantage I felt about Pattambi is that I found good bakeries with ample parking near the road so the same. Perinthalmanna is pretty crowded.
Old 11th July 2011, 17:42   #2504
BHPian

Quote:
Took Mysore-Nilambur route for my BLR-Cochin trip, yesterday.
Overall the road condition is good. Only problem faced in Perinthalmanna-Pattamby ~30K stretch, where tarmac is broken down, in most places; but there are no dangerous/big potholes, to worry.
What route you took between Nilambur and Perinthalmanna? What is the condition like and how long it took for this stretch? For overall trip, where did you stop for food-breaks?
Old 11th July 2011, 18:20   #2505
BHPian

Update from the blr trip

Took the tcr-shornur-ottappalam-palakkad-coimbatore bypass-salem route to bangalore. Thanks Ajith for the help on the route to Palakkad. Smooth drive to Palakkad

On the return, we visted Wayanad and took the nagarahole>manathavady->padinjarethara->vythiri->kozhikode bypass->kunnamkulam->thrissure route. reached Kochi by 12.30AM for a 9.15Pm start from kozhikkode.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks