Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 11:18   #2611
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Planning a trip with family to Kozhikode in the coming long weekend next week (31-Aug to 3-Sep).
Wanted to know the following details:
1. which would be the best route between Bangalore to Kozhikode?
2. Place in Kozhikode to visit?
3. Places around Kozhikode to visit (within ~100/200 kms)?
4. Best restaurants to eat in Kozhikode?

Can anyone please guide me on the above things?

thanks
nandi
Old 25th August 2011, 13:35   #2612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnandi View Post
1. which would be the best route between Bangalore to Kozhikode?
If you are taking the wayanad calicut route, then roads from Meenangaadi till adivaaram is bad. Some places near vythiri its fine, but thats it.
Quote:
2. Place in Kozhikode to visit?
3. Places around Kozhikode to visit (within ~100/200 kms)?
Calicut is just 100 kms from wayanad, and just 60kms from vythiri. So, I suggest if you want to visit places, stay in Wayanad.
Quote:
4. Best restaurants to eat in Kozhikode?
Malabari's love food, and there are lots of good restaurants. Starting from Paragon.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:32   #2613

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post

Instead of going via Thalassery, I'd suggest trying Kozhikode-Kuttyadi-Manathavadi-Gonikoppa-Virajpet-Madikeri. I think that would be shorter and better than running through Thalassery-Koothuparamba-Madikeri.

I will try out this route
I read from this post that Gonikoppa is at its worst
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...needed-49.html
This what I may finally stick to Kozhikode-Kuttyadi-Manathavadi-Iritty-Maakkoottam-Virajpet-Siddapura. In the route I will be travelling 40km extra as compared to thalasserry-Kothuparambu route (comparison from google-maps). I am ok to travel if this route is good
Old 25th August 2011, 17:29   #2614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asifpm View Post
I read from this post that Gonikoppa is at its worst
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...needed-49.html
This what I may finally stick to Kozhikode-Kuttyadi-Manathavadi-Iritty-Maakkoottam-Virajpet-Siddapura. In the route I will be travelling 40km extra as compared to thalasserry-Kothuparambu route (comparison from google-maps). I am ok to travel if this route is good
It is Kozhikode-Kuttyadi-Manathavadi-Virajpet-Siddapura only. No need to touch Iritty-Maakkoottam. But be aware that food and fuel options are very limited in Kuttyadi-Manathavadi route as compared to Kalpetta or Thalassery route. Also, many of the stretches are lonely and so better avoid during late hours.

For Muvattupuzha->Siddapura(Orange County), you may check out Muvattupuzha->Thrissur->Perinthalmanna->Nilambur->Nadugaani->Meppadi->Kalpetta->Mananthavadi->Gonikkopa->Virajpet->Siddapura. This may be slightly longer than going through Calicut but you will definitely save atleast a couple of hours in this route because of good road conditions and very less traffic. Added advantage would be the scenic beauty of ghats, forests, tea estates etc. And there would be enough places to stop for food and fuel on the route as well.

Anyone else would like to comment or share their experience in this route?
Old 25th August 2011, 18:27   #2615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
It is Kozhikode-Kuttyadi-Manathavadi-Virajpet-Siddapura only. No need to touch Iritty-Maakkoottam. But be aware that food and fuel options are very limited in Kuttyadi-Manathavadi route as compared to Kalpetta or Thalassery route. Also, many of the stretches are lonely and so better avoid during late hours.

For Muvattupuzha->Siddapura(Orange County), you may check out Muvattupuzha->Thrissur->Perinthalmanna->Nilambur->Nadugaani->Meppadi->Kalpetta->Mananthavadi->Gonikkopa->Virajpet->Siddapura. This may be slightly longer than going through Calicut but you will definitely save atleast a couple of hours in this route because of good road conditions and very less traffic. Added advantage would be the scenic beauty of ghats, forests, tea estates etc. And there would be enough places to stop for food and fuel on the route as well.

Anyone else would like to comment or share their experience in this route?
The problem with both these routes would be the Kutta-Gonikoppal-Virajpet section. The last time I went (a few months back) Kutta-Gonikoppal was atrocious, and from reports seen here it has only become worse.

I believe this was the reason why Rajesh suggested taking the Iritti-Makkutta route to reach Virajpet (and Siddapura from there). If one chooses that route, it would be best to go till Thalassery and turn off towards Mattannur - Iritty. But then NH17 north of Calicut is also reported to be pretty bad, so I'm not sure which of the two devils is the preferred one (Haven't travelled through that NH17 section for quite a long time now)

Not sure if climbing up to Mananthavady (either via Kuttyadi or Nadugani) and then climbing down to Iritty would really be worthwhile either. The Boystown-Iritty section has its own share of bad roads, the stretch between Kottiyoor and Peravoor has plenty of potholes, especially around Kelakam. (But certainly not as bad as the Kutta-Gonikoppal road)
Old 26th August 2011, 09:25   #2616

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The problem with both these routes would be the Kutta-Gonikoppal-Virajpet section. The last time I went (a few months back) Kutta-Gonikoppal was atrocious, and from reports seen here it has only become worse.

I believe this was the reason why Rajesh suggested taking the Iritti-Makkutta route to reach Virajpet (and Siddapura from there). If one chooses that route, it would be best to go till Thalassery and turn off towards Mattannur - Iritty. But then NH17 north of Calicut is also reported to be pretty bad, so I'm not sure which of the two devils is the preferred one (Haven't travelled through that NH17 section for quite a long time now)

Not sure if climbing up to Mananthavady (either via Kuttyadi or Nadugani) and then climbing down to Iritty would really be worthwhile either. The Boystown-Iritty section has its own share of bad roads, the stretch between Kottiyoor and Peravoor has plenty of potholes, especially around Kelakam. (But certainly not as bad as the Kutta-Gonikoppal road)
Gonikoppa route has to be avoided - thats what all the posts seriously advice. Then I why I am not to choose Thalasserry route is, it will be crowded by the time I reach Calicut (roughly 7AM -8AM) + bad road conditions !
As kala said, if not worth in taking Manthavadi - Iritty, Gonikoppa is the only option. Orelse, if I can reach Calicut atleast by 7AM continue on NH17 to reach Thalasserry. But how good is N17 Calicut- Thalassery ?
Ajitth, is it worth taking the your suggested route till Manathavady ?
Old 28th August 2011, 10:48   #2617
BHPian

Travelled Blr-Kochi yesterday and I was lucky to pass through Walayar. Read in newspaper of a 20 hrs jam at Walayar mainly due to the trucks that resumed trips after the strike. I started at 4:30 am from Blr and reached Walayar at 10am. Avinashi was not bad, but it is avoidable at night, due to the construction and unmarked ditches along. Saw many mishaps on the way. Walayar traffic was controlled by police and was smooth. Took a break at Kanjikode and resumed travel at 11:30 to Kochi. Reached home at 3:15pm. Took ottapalam-shornur-trissur route and was slowed down in towns. Road is excellent though.
Old 29th August 2011, 11:53   #2618
BHPian

How is the road condition between palakkad & thrissur via vadakkencherry & pattikad? I heard about some tarring work happening in this stretch last week. Is it motor-able or better to avoid ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Took ottapalam-shornur-trissur route and was slowed down in towns. Road is excellent though.
Bejoy, Where did u take the deviation to ottapalam ? is it from palakkad ?
Old 29th August 2011, 13:06   #2619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denomathew View Post
How is the road condition between palakkad & thrissur via vadakkencherry & pattikad? I heard about some tarring work happening in this stretch last week. Is it motor-able or better to avoid ?
I think it's best to avoid since they are re surfacing it. Thrissur - Vadakkenchery was TERRIBLE when I took it 2 weeks back. On my return trip, they temporarily laid the roads but was held up in the traffic jam.

As of now, it's better to avoid it. Check with anyone who took the route very recently. Since I saw the work undergoing in that section in person (2 weeks back), they might have repaired major part of the roads.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 13:14   #2620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denomathew View Post

Bejoy, Where did u take the deviation to ottapalam ? is it from palakkad ?
When I enquired at a resort in Kanjikode, I got to know that the roads are in pretty bad state near Kuthiran. I was more worried about the traffic jams that are frequent nowadays, and also the huge convey of trucks that leave the check post.

For Ottapalam route, I followed the map given by ranjitp1 in this link

This route tries to bye-pass the crowded roads of Palakkad but the roads are bit patchy in the beginning for around 2-3 kms. Watch out for the deviation at Mundur. I missed it and took a slightly longer route to reach Palakkad-ponnani road.

Keeping fingers crossed for the return journey next Saturday.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 16:03   #2621
Senior - BHPian

Nilambur - Nadugani Ghat damaged?

Read in today's Mathrubhumi Malayalam paper that the Nadugani Ghat road is damaged due to heavy rain and road might be closed for traffic.
Any updates?
Old 29th August 2011, 17:11   #2622
Senior - BHPian

Crack on Nadukani pass: Traffic restricted - southindia - Kerala - ibnlive
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 11:30   #2623
BHPian

Hi,

Anyone has an update on the route from Calicut to Payyannur? I'm planning to drive from Trivandrum to Payyannur next week to visit my in-laws. It seems the roads from Trivandrum up to Calicut are in decent shape, but I don't have any idea on the road condition after Calicut. Any information will be appreciated.
Old 30th August 2011, 11:42   #2624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkr_99 View Post
Hi,

Anyone has an update on the route from Calicut to Payyannur? I'm planning to drive from Trivandrum to Payyannur next week to visit my in-laws. It seems the roads from Trivandrum up to Calicut are in decent shape, but I don't have any idea on the road condition after Calicut. Any information will be appreciated.
Dense traffic and potholed at several sections.Expect for a slow drive.

To Calicut,I would suggest that you come via thrissur instead of taking the nh17 from edappally.

TVM-ALLEPPEY-ALWAYE-CHALAKUDI-THRISSUR-PUZHAKKAL-AMALA-KECHERI-RIGHT TURN-PERUMPILAVU-RIGHT TURN-NH17-EDAPPAL-KOTTAKAL-CALICUT.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 13:12   #2625
BHPian

Thanks Ranjit for the quick reply. Yes, I'll be taking the NH 47 till Thrissur since the 4-laning is complete. THRISSUR-PUZHAKKAL-AMALA-KECHERI - is it on the usual Thrissur - Guruvayur - Kuttippuram route itself?
Also, I heard that roads are miserable in the NH-17 beyond Calicut, will it be safe to drive in the night? Another option will be to opt for an overnight stay at Thrissur and then plan for an early start by 4 AM from there.

Most Viewed