Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 04:51   #2641
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
How about driving through Kanakapura road through Chamrajnagar and Sathy towards L&T bye-pass? Did anybody try this route off late? I am really bored of the regular NH 7-47 route.
No major issues with the roads. The roads around Kollegal (about 4-5 kms on either side) have become rather rough of late, but road conditions in the rest of the route varies from Good to excellent. I travelled this way about 10 days ago and reached Coimbatore in about 5 hours including a 20 minute breakfast break at C'nagar.

If you're travelling to Kerala, would advice taking the left turn at Kurumbapalayam (about 15 kms before Coimbatore) towards the airport. This road will take you to the old Avinashi road (6 laned). Take a left there (towards Avinashi) and join L&T byepass at Neelambur. Faster than going through the city (unless you're passing by at late night / early mornings)
Old 5th September 2011, 12:00   #2642
BHPian

What is the latest road condtions between Kochi and Munnar (I need to take NH-49, right?). I am planning to drive next week to Munnar. Thanks..
Old 5th September 2011, 15:12   #2643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psvinay View Post
What is the latest road condtions between Kochi and Munnar (I need to take NH-49, right?). I am planning to drive next week to Munnar. Thanks..
Yes, NH-49 is right. I travelled that way from Cochin till Adimaly a couple of weeks ago and the road conditions were quite good. Not sure about the Adimaly-Munnar stretch though.
Old 6th September 2011, 00:21   #2644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psvinay View Post
You can alternatively take Edappally-Pukkattupady-Perumbavoor-Kothamangalam route also. may be shorter and less traffic congested route.
Old 6th September 2011, 10:22   #2645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
You can alternatively take Edappally-Pukkattupady-Perumbavoor-Kothamangalam route also. may be shorter and less traffic congested route.
Another easy alternate would be Palarivattom-Kakkanad-Infopark-Brahmapuram-Karimugal-Puthencruz-NH49. This will be less traffic/no traffic road after Infopark. You will be able to avoid rush at Vyttila/Tripunithura and all the way till Puthencruz.

This route is even shorter by 4kms.
Old 6th September 2011, 19:50   #2646
BHPian

Quote:
would recommend this route

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Another easy alternate would be Palarivattom-Kakkanad-Infopark-Brahmapuram-Karimugal-Puthencruz-NH49. This will be less traffic/no traffic road after Infopark. You will be able to avoid rush at Vyttila/Tripunithura and all the way till Puthencruz.

This route is even shorter by 4kms.
this road a few kms after brahmapuram is very poor with some huge craters till karimugal. wouldnt recommend this route
Soccerfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 21:03   #2647
Senior - BHPian

in local paper it was reported karimugal-puthenkurish(NH49) route is in horrible condition.
Another Alternate Route to reach Perumbavoor from Ernakulam city is:

Palarivattom-Olimugal-Kakkanad-Navodaya-TurnLeft-Kangarappady-Pukkattupady-Perumbavoor. Narrow Roads! Only Benefit is Less Traffic .

this route is infested with long distance private buses rashly driven . that will be a problem.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 22:06   #2648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
this road a few kms after brahmapuram is very poor with some huge craters till karimugal. wouldnt recommend this route
Quote:
in local paper it was reported karimugal-puthenkurish(NH49) route is in horrible condition.
Thank you guys for the update. I used to take this route via Puthencruz as a shortcut during 2004-2007 when I was working at Infopark. Last I went through this route was about one year back by that time pipe line work was over and the surface was done.
Old 6th September 2011, 22:26   #2649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Keep checking the latest update as there is some traffic restrictions on Nadukani road and a possible closure for a day or 2 to carry out some repair work.
Any latest update on this route (Bangalore-Perinthalmanna-Kochi)?
Old 7th September 2011, 11:09   #2650
BHPian

Any update on road condition between Coimbatore and Trissur? I am planning to travel from Bangalore to Perumbavoor this saturday. suggest me a route with less traffic and potholes.

Unfortunately latest map update from mapmyindia bricked my device. Bought a device from Garmin with NAVTEQ but as per my observation maps and route suggestion yet to mature for indian condition. Now I have to completely rely on sign board which i am not used to .
Old 8th September 2011, 11:50   #2651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds

Any latest update on this route (Bangalore-Perinthalmanna-Kochi)?
No idea about the rest of the sections as latest -But Pattambi - Perinthalmanna route is in absolute shambles. Not saying that it was in good condition ever, but this is surely the worst condition of it that I have seen in years together! Took 70 mins to cover this today morning!!
ThePunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 12:20   #2652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
Any update on road condition between Coimbatore and Trissur? I am planning to travel from Bangalore to Perumbavoor this saturday. suggest me a route with less traffic and potholes.
I traveled to chalakudy last week in this route. Road between Vadakkencherry to Mannuthy was horrible. Lots of pothole and rain had made it worse. It was more like off-roading On top of this I saw a JCB taking mud from road side and filling the potholes :(.

While returing to bangalore I took the thrissur-wadakanchery-shoranur-Ottapalam-parali-palakkad route. This was excellent road and no much traffic. Would recommend using this route.
denomathew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 12:59   #2653
BHPian

Reached back in Bangalore on Sunday 4th, from Irinjalakuda (22 km from Thrissur) and it was a tiring drive both the ways. Took almost 13 hrs (including break) to cover a distance of about 510 KMs!! Blame it on the rains, traffic in the palakkad - ottappalam - wadakkanchery - TCR road (excellent roads though), a 30 mins block at wadakkanchery railway gate and another major pile up in Thoppur ghat (on return leg). Infact, the road widening work between Avinashi and Walayar wasn't a trouble at all!

Reached back in Bangalore and immediately booked train tickets to kerala for the Dashera holidays. Makes no sense to drive until the NH 47 road conditions improve between Palakkad and Thrissur and ofcourse until the rains are gone.
menonrajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 15:24   #2654
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denomathew View Post

While returing to bangalore I took the thrissur-wadakanchery-shoranur-Ottapalam-parali-palakkad route. This was excellent road and no much traffic. Would recommend using this route.
Ive driven this route and the section towards the end is one of the smoothest tarmacs I have experienced in India. A friend told me that its construction was by an east Asian based company that did a thorough job without cutting corners, as is evident since the road seems to have withstood many monsoons without a single pothole. Apparently the administration did not release the payments on time (palms not getting greased?) and the project mangers responsible had to pay sub-contractors from his own pockets which ultimately led to his suicide on account of his dire economic situation. If this is indeed true - shame on the officials responsible. Are any of you folks aware of this incident ?
Old 8th September 2011, 16:10   #2655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
No idea about the rest of the sections as latest -But Pattambi - Perinthalmanna route is in absolute shambles. Not saying that it was in good condition ever, but this is surely the worst condition of it that I have seen in years together! Took 70 mins to cover this today morning!!
That is why we are advising to avoid Pattambi - Perinthalmanna route if you are coming from South towards Nilambur. Instead, take Perumpilavu-Kottakkal-Malappuram-Manjeri route. This will save time & fuel as you can do the whole "Perumpilavu-Kottakkal-Malappuram-Manjeri-Nilambur" stretch in about 2 hours and the roads are in great shape too.

Most Viewed