Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2011, 22:01   #2776
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Sorry, I find it very hard to believe. There are more than 6 toll booths on the way and unless you maintain above 100 most of the time you cannot achieve a final average speed of ~80kmph due to law of averages catching up.It is quite difficult to maintain such speeds for long durations on this road. I do bangalore thrissur stretch quite often in my polo and could never do a palakkad run under 6.30 hours.
Old 9th October 2011, 05:32   #2777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Sorry, I find it very hard to believe. There are more than 6 toll booths on the way and unless you maintain above 100 most of the time you cannot achieve a final average speed of ~80kmph due to law of averages catching up.It is quite difficult to maintain such speeds for long durations on this road. I do bangalore thrissur stretch quite often in my polo and could never do a palakkad run under 6.30 hours.
Usually, that is true - it does take 6 to 6:30 hours. Yesterday, on almost all toll gates, I was the 1st or 2nd car in the queue; and from Avinashi, hardly ran into maniac private buses. I think it has to do with luck. Once before -- about 3 months ago -- also I could manage 5.5 hours (4:30am to 10am).
Old 9th October 2011, 11:58   #2778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Its very much possible.
Usually, lot of time will be lost on your breaks and toll gates. If you cut down breaks and lucky enough to get into a counter with less queue, its very easy to maintain an average of 80 km/hr in this road.
Old 10th October 2011, 13:44   #2779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Paranoid in choosing the route to Thodupuzha! Always prefer the Dindigul - Theni -Cumbom- Cumbommettu route but travelling in night so Cumbommettu to Cheruthoni could be a challenging trail with tuskers.
Returned from Kerala, travelled to and fro on the above mentioned route. Road updates below. Both side, travel time was 10 hours including 2 quick food & bio breaks. Distance one side is 570KMs approx) Drive was pleasant and didn't had to wake my co-driver (wifey) at all

Bangalore to Dindigul (350KMs approx) - Still the same 4 lane route. There are some work going on in NH7, so do expect a 1KM narrow lane sometimes near Dindigul and no one way rule here (it was near the bridge and caused no issues to vehicles).

Dindigul to Cumbom (120KMs approx) - Good roads expect some very short strecthes. Road widening and curve straigtening work started so expect narrow stretches in between. But considering the low volume of traffic, its not an issue at all.

Cumbom to Cumbommettu (14KMs approx) - Same narrow climb.There are rough patches in some of the hair pin bends but easily manageable.

Cumbommettu to Kattappana (18KMs approx) - Not so good but definetly drivable.

Kattappana to Moolamattom (60KMs approx) - Nice road. Dont recollect any issues. Luckily no tuskers to block my way.
Old 10th October 2011, 14:25   #2780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Dear All,
I am planning a Kochi-Munnar-Kodaikkanal-Kochi trip this weekend.
Our plan is:
Friday afternoon: Kochi to Munnar. Stay at Munnar
Saturday morning: Drive to Kodai and stay there overnight.
Sunday afternoon: Return to Kochi.

My query is on the route from Munnar to Kodaikkanal. We are planning to take Munnar-Marayur-Chinnar-Udumalpetai-Palani-Kodai (Approx 186km as per Google Maps) route. We have selected this route as it is said to be very scenic. Can anyone throw some light on the current road condition and approximate time required for covering this route?
I did this trip over the last weekend. An update on road conditions:
Kochi to Munnar:
Distance: 130km, 4hrs
Roads are good till Adimaly. After Adimaly the condition steadily worsens. Pallivasal to Munnar (including MUnnar town) is in very bad shape.

Munnar to Kodai (via Marayur-Chinnar-Udumalpet -Palani):
Distance: 190km, 6hrs
Munnar to Chinnar is not in great shape. There are lot of bad patches which will take you by surprise. Road condition improves a lot once we enter TN. Palani to Kodai Ghat road is also good except for couple of places and near Kodai town.

Kodai to Kochi (via Palani-Udumalpet-Pollachi - Kollencode - Vadakkencheri-Thrissur)
Distance: 320km, 7hrs
Excellent roads till Vadakkencheri. But NH47 between Vadakkancheri to Thrissur is still in bad shape.

Total Trip Distrance: 640km. My Swift D returned 17.7 kmpl for the whole trip!
Old 10th October 2011, 20:02   #2781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Its very much possible.
Usually, lot of time will be lost on your breaks and toll gates. If you cut down breaks and lucky enough to get into a counter with less queue, its very easy to maintain an average of 80 km/hr in this road.
More than time lost in breaks and Tolls, the early morn start is the only trick.
Any long journey, esp. when to cover cities in day time means loss of time.

Now Indian roads EVERYWHERE are in on development drive, two-lane, four lane improvement going in tremendous pace. The only way to escape is to start early; 3 am is that good.
Other trick is connecting Sundays and holidays.
Old 12th October 2011, 09:36   #2782
Senior - BHPian

I need to go to Mannarkad & Attappadi during Diwali holidays from Ernakulam (6am start). Kindly advise me on the best route/road conditions.
Old 12th October 2011, 11:52   #2783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need to go to Mannarkad & Attappadi during Diwali holidays from Ernakulam (6am start). Kindly advise me on the best route/road conditions.
EKM-Thrissur via NH47

Divert off NH47 at Kuttanelloor(go by the side of the flyover and take a left that comes up after the toll gate in the shape of the thrissur temples)

Continue on the road till Jubilee Mission College,take a right and continue as per directions below in the map.

Chalakudy, Kerala to Mannarkkad, Kerala - Google Maps

Road conditions are pretty good.You should be able to do Thrissur-Mannarkad in 2.5hours.Ekm-Thrissur in 1 hour.Overall budget for a 4 hour drive.If you follow the directions in the map,you would be able to avoid the railway gates at wadakancheri.

From Manarkadu--Attapad is a direct road,well marked after mannarkad town to your lefti is the route(approx 45kms),there are some restrictions on night travel by the checkposts there.But no clue of recent conditions of the route as havent travelled recently.Travelled till mannarkad from thrissur in sep and roads were good.Btw,GM does not show the Mannarkad-Attapadi connection not sure why,but the road does exist.Post monsoons I expect the road surface to be iffy nothing seriously bad

I remember Jeevmenon did a mannarkad-coimbatore drive last year(mannarkad-agali-annaikatty-coimbatore).Pm him in case you want more details.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 12th October 2011 at 11:54.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 16:06   #2784
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the detailed info. I am traveling with family hence looking for easy drive and some buffer time. I plan like this:

Ernakulam - Trichur - 1 Hr 15 mins
Trichur- Mannarkad - 2.5hrs (Is it really required?)
Mannarkad - Attappadi - 1 hr

Start at 4 am to reach Attappadi at 9am. Any suggestions?
Old 12th October 2011, 16:45   #2785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed info. I am traveling with family hence looking for easy drive and some buffer time. I plan like this:

Ernakulam - Trichur - 1 Hr 15 mins
Trichur- Mannarkad - 2.5hrs (Is it really required?)
Mannarkad - Attappadi - 1 hr

Start at 4 am to reach Attappadi at 9am. Any suggestions?
4am in my opinion would be too early,5am would be ideal and you should be at Attapadi by 10am.

EKM-Thrissur: 75mins
Thrissur-Wadakancheri: 20mins
Wadakancheri-Shoranur: 30mins
Shoranur-Ottapalam: 20mins
Ottapalam-Thiruvazhiyode: 35mins
Thiruvazhiyode-Mannarkad: 30mins

With these timings you should be able to do EKM-Mannarkad in approx 4hrs.From there to Attapadi you can budget an hour.

For breakfast,you can stop at Samudra Regency (www.samudraregency.com). Its onto your right as soon as you turn towards Ottapalam at Kulappully.With a 5am departure,you should be here by 7(not sure if the place would be open by then,)If not,then you can head further towards Vaniyamkulam and stop at hotel Jaibharath onto your left after vaniyamkulam town.Its one of those small restaurants frequented by many movie actors.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 16:59   #2786
Senior - BHPian

Thanks once again.

My family wish to be there at Sehyon Retreat Centre, Attappadi at 9am so I should look for 4am start itself. I don't think we can find any good place for breakfast with this time line :(

By 3.30pm, we will be leaving to Coimbatore to visit a family there.
Old 12th October 2011, 17:07   #2787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I don't think we can find any good place for breakfast with this time line :(
You could try your luck at Samudra,they usually open for bf at 7am.
Old 14th October 2011, 09:40   #2788
BHPian

I am driving Kochi - Trivandrum tomorrow.

Kind of bored with NH47; how is the MC road condition now?
Old 14th October 2011, 10:15   #2789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
I am driving Kochi - Trivandrum tomorrow.

Kind of bored with NH47; how is the MC road condition now?
MC Road is good from Chengannur to Trivandrum. Cochin till Ettumanoor is OK, you'll encounter heavy traffic and pothole-ridden roads from thereon till Chengannur.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 10:19   #2790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
MC Road is good from Chengannur to Trivandrum. Cochin till Ettumanoor is OK, you'll encounter heavy traffic and pothole-ridden roads from thereon till Chengannur.
Thanks. Still undecided about the route.

I have taken NH47 'x' number of times vs MC road 2-3 times.
Somehow i like the MC road better, but time taken is more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks