Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2008, 18:23   #271
Senior - BHPian

Hi csentil,

> Coimbatore - 12.30 pm (lunch)

Where would you suggest to stop for lunch? The byepass never had any places to eat, the last time I treavelled that side about an year back.
Old 29th August 2008, 18:36   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Where would you suggest to stop for lunch? The byepass never had any places to eat, the last time I treavelled that side about an year back.
There are number to decent small hotels on the avinashi road . Once you take the byepass junction there are no hotels after that.

Palaghat - Thrissur stretch is in real bad condition with lots of potholes for atleast the first 10-15kms. So do this stretch carefully.

Last edited by Mission_Safari : 29th August 2008 at 18:38.
Old 29th August 2008, 21:51   #273
BHPian

if anybody could post a road map from cochin- banglore it would be very useful!!!
Old 31st August 2008, 17:20   #274
BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning to drive to Cochin on 6th early morning in my Getz. I have shortlisted 2 routes.
1. Blore - Mysore - Nilambur - Trichur - Cochin
2. Blore - Hosur - Mettur - Coimbatore - Trichur - Cochin.

Could you please suggest which route is good and less traffic.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 31st August 2008, 18:19   #275
Senior - BHPian

at least a kerala map
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-keraladistancemap.jpg  

Old 31st August 2008, 21:08   #276
BHPian

How about this map? Took it from Mapmyindia.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-untitled.jpg  

Old 1st September 2008, 00:11   #277
BHPian

Planning to drive down to Alleppey on the 6th of Sept. Onam holidays!!!

I usually take the Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore - Palghat - Thrissur - Kochi - Alleppey route. However, for a change of scene, planning to take different route. Route in consideration is:

Bangalore - Mysore - Gundulpet - Nilambur - Manjeri - Perinthalmanna - Shoranur - Thrissur - Kochi - Alleppey (Approx 550kms is what Yahoo Map says)

Has anyone taken this route recently? Whats the road conditions like?

Will be leaving B'lore by about 4am, so the drive will be in the morning. Hence, any update on traffic conditions will be welcome.
Old 1st September 2008, 00:35   #278
Senior - BHPian

Road via Nilambur is great - update 10 days ago. After reaching Nilambur, you have options of going via Palakkad (longer, and on NH47 from there), Trissur via Shoranur (congested), Trissur (via Edappal, also congested) or directly to Ernakulam (via Edappal, on Nh17, better option). I think the Nadugani-Nilambur road is closed at night (Check Post restricions).
Old 1st September 2008, 00:50   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Road via Nilambur is great - update 10 days ago. After reaching Nilambur, you have options of going via Palakkad (longer, and on NH47 from there), Trissur via Shoranur (congested), Trissur (via Edappal, also congested) or directly to Ernakulam (via Edappal, on Nh17, better option). I think the Nadugani-Nilambur road is closed at night (Check Post restricions).
Thanks Kumarji. I think I'll take the NH17 route that you have suggested.
Old 1st September 2008, 03:10   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgginish View Post
Hi All,

I am planning to drive to Cochin on 6th early morning in my Getz. I have shortlisted 2 routes.
1. Blore - Mysore - Nilambur - Trichur - Cochin
2. Blore - Hosur - Mettur - Coimbatore - Trichur - Cochin.

Could you please suggest which route is good and less traffic.

Thanks in Advance.
You may as well check the thread "Current Condition of Road to Kerala". This thread is kept updated, so you will find the latest there.

I too am driving down on the 6th. The route I'll take is: Bangalore - Mysore - Nilambur - Edavanna - Perinthalmanna - Edappal - Kunnamkulam - Chavakkad - Kodungallur -Paravur - Cheranellur - Cochin

The route is good as per the latest updates I've received from Mr Dependable (HVKumar). Better roads and scenic.

"Nilambur - Trichur - Cochin" part of your route will have dense traffic owing to drive being in the day. Check the thread I mentioned, you will get more updates there.

Safe Journey.
Old 1st September 2008, 10:45   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The last time I had taken the NH17 from Ernakulam the progress was very slow because of narrow winding roads and reasonable amount of traffic as well. You go upto after crossing Perinthalmanna, Pattambi and then onto Kunnamkulam from where you could take the NH17 near Chavakkad which would allow you to byepass Thrissur, but expect slow progress after Kodungallur. If my understanding is right I have not seen any signs of checkpost being closed at Nadugani, some locals might be able to confirm because I have travelled around 9 PM on that stretch, when I was not stopped, you also have some KSRTC buses travelling around the clock.
Old 1st September 2008, 12:38   #282
BHPian

Hi,
Planning to come from Munnar to Bangalore 2nd week of October.
I'm planning following route. Any one have used this route recently for road condition updates?

Thanks in advance.
Munnar --> Amaravathi Reservior -> Udamalaipettai -> Dharapuram ->
Kangeyam -> Perundurai -> Bhavani -> Mettur -> Mecheri -> Kammapatti ->
Dharmapuri -> Krishnagiri -> Bangalore
Old 1st September 2008, 12:56   #283
Senior - BHPian

Good road all the way, except for the road widening issues on NH7. I think "Kammapatti" should read as "Toppur", which is the junction on NH7.
Old 2nd September 2008, 09:52   #284
BHPian

Bangalore - Nilambur is pretty good other than the Bandipur stretch. But from Nilambur to Ernakulam on NH17 is a real pain to drive. Road is not wide enough for smooth two way traffic. It is more like a city drive all the way from Malappuram. Slow and congested traffic and you will meet many crazy drivers too.

By the way I am planning for a drive from Bangalore to Cochin in the first week of Oct. Still not finalized which way to take.
For onward I am thinking of:
Bangalore - Mysore - Gundulpet - Gudalur- Nilambur - Manjeri - Malappuram - Edappal- Kunnamkulam - Paravur - Kodungallor - Aluva - Kochi
I will start from Bangaore at around 2AM and hope to reach home for lunch

My return journey may be in the night and so I may prefer:
Cochin - Trissur (bypass) - Palghat - Coimbatore (L&T) - Mettur - Dharmapuri - Krishnagiri - Bangalore.
I will start from home at around 3PM and hope to reach Bangaore at 3AM next day.

I always hated this route for the ugly trucks and boring scenes . Night is better.

I am upgrading my headlamps to Philips X-treme power for my night driving.

How does the plan look?
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:43   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Bangalore - Nilambur is pretty good other than the Bandipur stretch. But from Nilambur to Ernakulam on NH17 is a real pain to drive. Road is not wide enough for smooth two way traffic. It is more like a city drive all the way from Malappuram. Slow and congested traffic and you will meet many crazy drivers too.

By the way I am planning for a drive from Bangalore to Cochin in the first week of Oct. Still not finalized which way to take.
For onward I am thinking of:
Bangalore - Mysore - Gundulpet - Gudalur- Nilambur - Manjeri - Malappuram - Edappal- Kunnamkulam - Paravur - Kodungallor - Aluva - Kochi
I will start from Bangaore at around 2AM and hope to reach home for lunch

You can go direct from Nilambur via Pandikkad to Perinthalmanna and Edappal, saves you going through Manjeri and Malappuram.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks