- new CCD and Aya Bhavan
where exactly is this?
Old 1st December 2011, 20:21   #2987
Team-BHP Support

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
where exactly is this?
This is one km before Pallikonda toll plaza.

Ref:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2464102
Old 2nd December 2011, 09:51   #2988
BHPian

All,

We will be travelling from Bangalore to Mahe on saturday night by Innova.

Which is the good route in the present condition?

Ram.
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:30   #2989
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp View Post
Which is the good route in the present condition?
You may get more details here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...fo-needed.html
Old 3rd December 2011, 16:37   #2990
Senior - BHPian

All,

I plan to drive from Kodungallur (Thrissur, Kerala) to Bangalore this month-end (On December 24, to be precise). I am bored of the usual route via Salem-Hosur. I was thinking of taking the Nilambur-Vazhikadavu-Mysore route this time - hoping to see some wildlife in Bandipur, and may be visit the Teak Museum at Nilambur.

What is the state of the Perinthalmanna-Nilambur section now? The Kerala PWD site says that the maintenance of this section is complete now (Item No. 25 in this page). The last time I took this route, the road was inexistent between Pattikad and Wandoor - what is the status now?

The alternative, I guess is via Kuttipuram-Kottakal-Malappuram-Manjeri. (This route adds some 23 kms to the other route i.e., via Kunnamkulam-Pattambi-Perinthalmanna-Wandoor).

Any pointers towards the condition of roads in the Nilambur-Gudalur, Gudalur-Gundlupet and Gundlupet-Mysore section would be appreciated. Also, information about eateries on the route would be great (the last time, I took a KSRTC bus on the route, and hence have no idea of eateries. The journey prior to that was about 3 years ago - so not much idea of the current state).
Old 3rd December 2011, 21:28   #2991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
What is the state of the Perinthalmanna-Nilambur section now? The Kerala PWD site says that the maintenance of this section is complete now (Item No. 25 in this page). The last time I took this route, the road was inexistent between Pattikad and Wandoor - what is the status now?
Wonder when that page was last updated.. Based on my experience with a lot of these "official" websites, I won't be surprised if the last update of that page happened 2 or 3 years back
Old 3rd December 2011, 21:41   #2992
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The alternative, I guess is via Kuttipuram-Kottakal-Malappuram-Manjeri. (This route adds some 23 kms to the other route i.e., via Kunnamkulam-Pattambi-Perinthalmanna-Wandoor).
Instead of Wandoor, you can try the Nilambur-Melatoor-Perinthalmanna option.
That route I think much better (though I dont have the latest update).

But yes again I dont know what is the status of Pattambi-Perinthalmanna.
Old 3rd December 2011, 21:56   #2993
BHPian

Hi, considering what Deet has mentioned below, is there a better alternate route while travelling from Kochi to Bangalore? Thrissur to Avinashi seems to be a painful stretch.

We will be returning from Kochi on 18th Dec. Plan to start by 5:00am.

Thank You

VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Drove from EKM to Bangalore yesterday.

EKM to Trissur is 4 lane and excellent. Thrissur to Walayar is rough and full of undulations due to patch works but crucially not many potholes. Kuthiran stretch is full of craters.

Just after the KL border on the TN side, the road is bad due to flyover construction till L&T byepass. 4 Lane conversion going on at Avinashi. So it is full of dust, gravel and diversions. Takes a lot of time.

From the Salem byepass, the roads are awesome till Silkboard except Hosur. Hosur is broken up badly.

I drove during the day.

Last edited by VindyWheels : 3rd December 2011 at 21:57.
Old 3rd December 2011, 22:01   #2994
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi, considering what Deet has mentioned below, is there a better alternate route while travelling from Kochi to Bangalore? Thrissur to Avinashi seems to be a painful stretch.
After Trichur, divert at Vadakkancherry to Pollachi
From then on to Palladam-Kangeyam-Perundurai. Excellent roads all the way.
You join 4L back at Perundurai and continue.

Road : link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 22:17   #2995
BHPian

Thank You Ampere, that was really quick

Is it easy to find the directions? How much time do you think it will take to reach Perundurai for a sedate driver? I have never driven in this route. But have been to Munnar via Kangeyam-Udumalpet.

Thanks

VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
After Trichur, divert at Vadakkancherry to Pollachi
From then on to Palladam-Kangeyam-Perundurai. Excellent roads all the way.
You join 4L back at Perundurai and continue.

Road : link
Old 4th December 2011, 06:15   #2996
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank You Ampere, that was really quick

Is it easy to find the directions? How much time do you think it will take to reach Perundurai for a sedate driver? I have never driven in this route. But have been to Munnar via Kangeyam-Udumalpet.

Thanks

VW
Vindy, Two unknowns for me as well:

- I dont know the exact diversion point from NH47 at Vadakkancherry as I have not driven that stretch from Vadakkancherry to Pollachi (Check with Ranjit or Digital_Vampire)
- You will need to ask people at Pollachi to find the Palladam road (Its easy to get lost in Pollachi. A GPS would help)

As regards to roads beyond, they are brilliant. This section is the best route to Valparai (via Pollachi).
Kangeyam-Palladam is super smooth NH67 (Should take about 40 minutes). Kangeyam-Perundurai (half an hour and you know road status as you already drove)
Pollachi-Palladam is also very good (should take about 1 hour)

And all the is for a sedate driver (count me in your company for that!)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 14:21   #2997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I plan to drive from Kodungallur (Thrissur, Kerala) to Bangalore this month-end (On December 24, to be precise).I was thinking of taking the Nilambur-Vazhikadavu-Mysore route this time

Any pointers towards the condition of roads in the Nilambur-Gudalur, Gudalur-Gundlupet and Gundlupet-Mysore section would be appreciated. Also, information about eateries on the route would be great
The Nilambur is a time consuming one,we did it while driving from Hyderabad to Thrissur.Roads are good throughout,no issues on that,but traffic is a killer between Vazhikadavu & Thrissur.Roads are also narrow,so budget only for a speed of 60kph and thereabouts.Pattikad-Wandoor-Nilambur-Wandoor,road is existent now,but there is a lot of World Bank assisted culvert work in progress at many points.I think most of them must have been completed by now.

Pattambi-Perinthalmana is another headache sector with dense traffic and hardly any scope for overtaking.Overall budget for 2-3 extra hours via this route as opposed to the Salem route.Vazhikadavu-Nadugani-Gudalur is good.Getting in and out of Gudalur would take some time thanks to the traffic.Gudalur-Thepekadu-Bandipur-Gundulpet is also good all the way upto Mysore and onwards to Bangalore.At Mysore,dont take the Ring Road to your left(after the airport) which you would see as you approach Mysore.Its a never ending road and potholed at many places(atleast it was last month).Instead go via the city (via the palace & bus stand)its easier and shorter.

Eateries enroute:There is a KTDC Vazhiyoram after Nilambur town to your right,there are a couple of "Broast" restaurants on both sides in Nilambur.Broast seems to be some craze in Nilambur and surrounding areas because every restaurant seems to be advertising it

At Gudalur at the entry into Bandipur,there are a couple of typical small time restaurants.Then after you exit Bandipur,there is Jungle Lodges to your right,and a restaurant to your left.After you exit Gundulpet town,there is CCD to your right attached to a HP Pump but quite a big one.Also a couple of restaurants to the left and right at the same location

Between Mysore & Bangalore it is one long food court.One would lose count of the number of Cafe Coffee Days that exist there,plus the kamats,adiga,kadambam,kfc,mcdie etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Instead of Wandoor, you can try the Nilambur-Melatoor-Perinthalmanna option.
That route I think much better (though I dont have the latest update).
But yes again I dont know what is the status of Pattambi-Perinthalmanna.
Not much of saving via the Melatoor route now a days.Somebody who did this stretch was telling me that via Wandoor or via Melattoor almost same time.But yes,more greenery via the Melattoor route as the road goes along the fringes of the Silent Valley but more twists and turns so speed would also drop.

Quote:
is there a better alternate route while travelling from Kochi to Bangalore? Thrissur to Avinashi seems to be a painful stretch.

We will be returning from Kochi on 18th Dec. Plan to start by 5:00am.
The better option which I have been taking for the past one year is Kochi-Thrissur-Athani-Kurancheri-Vyasa College-Kumbalngad-Wadakancheri Court-Rejoin Thrissur-Shoranur road at WKI-Vazhakode Jn-Cheruturuthy-Kulappully-Ottapalam-Palakkad-Walayar-L&T Bypass.Taking it this way,you avoid all the railway gates as well.

The Thrissur-Vadakkencheri section is simply unpredictable,roads go bad so very quickly and kuthiran is a perennial headache.Road shoulders are also not to my liking.I prefer the Shoranur route.Beyond Walayar,it is not much of a problem,just that you need to go a little slow as road widening is in progress.

Quote:
Not easy for a newcomer to find directions,if you do intend to take the NH47 route,then after Vadekkencheri town,continue on the highway,to your left you would see a board mentioning KSRTC Workshop and immediately after that you would hit a junction.Its a busy cross road.Take the right at the crossroads which goes into Vdakkencheri town.Continue on the road and the road takes a natural left and begins to run parallel to NH47.Cross the bridge and take the road to your right.You are now on the Vadakkencheri-Pollachi road.You would cross Chittilancheri-Nemmara-Vallanghi-Kollengode-Meenakshipuram-Pollachi.At Pollachi,you would need to ask for directions.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 20:26   #2998
Senior - BHPian

When is the toll collection starts at Trichur (NH47)? They fixed the rate board and the toll for car is Rs. 55/one way. Saw at least 25 policemen there few hours ago.

Also the road widening work from Mannuthy to Vadakkancherry is happening at many places. Expect several deviations in the coming months. The road is in so-so condition especially between Vadakkancherry and Mannuthy.
Old 4th December 2011, 20:43   #2999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Also the road widening work from Mannuthy to Vadakkancherry is happening at many places. Expect several deviations in the coming months. The road is in so-so condition especially between Vadakkancherry and Mannuthy.
So the widening work has begun, is it? Thats great news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
When is the toll collection starts at Trichur (NH47)? They fixed the rate board and the toll for car is Rs. 55/one way. Saw at least 25 policemen there few hours ago.
Toll collection starts tomorrow.

This is the toll plaza:
Name:  IMG_0840.jpg
Views: 5909
Size:  136.7 KB

Rate Card:
All Roads to Kerala-img_0843.jpg
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 20:47   #3000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Toll collection starts tomorrow.
So some trouble can be expected there tomorrow? We are not digested to Rs. 55 toll for a car!!

Thanks for the images. All the lights were turned on while I traveled and there were some queue as they diverted the traffic through two lanes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks