Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2011, 10:41   #3091
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
AS per news, Keralites are attacked in Tirupur and KeSRTC stopped services between Palghat and Coimbatore. Some demands Keralites to leave TN within 24 hrs! Don't know whats happening
Attack in Tirupur is only personal vendetta conveniently given the mullaperiyar colour
Old 17th December 2011, 15:15   #3092
Senior - BHPian

KSRTC Buses are targeted in Coimbatore? And on 21st December Some Tamilnadu Party has called for blockade of 13 checkposts from TN to Kerala.
Quote:
PALAKKAD: The KSRTC buses from the Palakkad depot called off their services to Coimbatore around noon on Friday following the roughing up of a conductor by the people assisted by the police at Kovaipudur near Coimbatore.
The KSRTC buses later resumed services at 6.15 pm following talks between KSRTC officials and their counterparts in Coimbatore. It was agreed that steps will be taken to provide protection to buses by the police on either side of the border.
Trips to Coimbatore turn tough for KSRTC | KSRTC | trip | The New Indian Express

I am reaching Coimbatore from Madras on 22nd, Travelling to Kerala. Super Worried Now. There are reports that KSRTC Buses are running randomly only between CBE and PLKD.
Old 17th December 2011, 16:38   #3093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I am reaching Coimbatore from Madras on 22nd, Travelling to Kerala. Super Worried Now. There are reports that KSRTC Buses are running randomly only between CBE and PLKD.
If you find any issues with road transport, check for trains from Coimbatore. There are trains at 7am, 8am, 8.30am etc and being a day travel, it won't be much issue though its season.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 20:35   #3094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
I had driven through Chertala Kumarakom Kottayam stretch in Oct 2011, road repair work was going on.

From Angamaly, I can vouch for the road muvattupuzha thodupuzha Pala kottayam. It might be about 12 kms extra, but roads are great.
I travelled today from Muvattupuzha to Changanasserry through MC Road and it is in good condition.
While returning, I have to visit Vaikom. So, took the Kottayam-Kumarakom-Vaikom Road. though narrow, it is well paved, excellent road. seems like newly laid. I think, it saves around 7kms compared to Ettumanoor-kaduthuruthy-Vaikom Highway as well as traffic congestion between Kottayam and Ettumanoor.

From Vaikom, I wanted to test "Nadakkave-Oliappuram(Kuthattukulam)" Highway to reach Muvattupuzha. as the condition of road from Thalayolaparambe-Peruva is bad though it can save 2kms.

I took this route:
Vaikom-Puthotta-Kanjiramattom-Arakkunnam(Highway)-Piravom-Pambakkuda-Muvattupuzha.
stretch from Kanjiramattom to Arakkunnam(around 5kms), the Road conditions are bad. otherwise, all the roads are rubberised highways.
I have rarely travelled in Piravom-Muvattupuzha route. it is as hilly and twisty as MC road to Kuthattukulam is. 21kms felt like 40kms
overall, this route is alternate option coming from Kothamangalam-Muvattupuzha areas to Vaikom-Kumarakom.
Another option was Muvattupuzha-NH49-Thiruvankulam-Kureekkad-Vaikom.

Last edited by deepclutch : 18th December 2011 at 20:45.
Old 19th December 2011, 07:55   #3095
Senior - BHPian

KeSRTC operations to Coimbatore are in a deep mess. I am just back from a trip to Coimbatore. TNSTC/SETC too have suspended services, reportedly since some TN buses were "allegedly" vandalised in Kerala (I haven't seen any such media reports).

Quote:
KeSRTC has stopped operating late night/early morning services from Coimbatore. The Bangalore-Kerala services are run through the bypass - they do not enter any town in TN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
If you find any issues with road transport, check for trains from Coimbatore. There are trains at 7am, 8am, 8.30am etc and being a day travel, it won't be much issue though its season.
Being season time, I am not very sure how feasible the train idea is. Even during off-peak times, the trains to Kerala are packed, and with it being season time, the less said the better.
Old 19th December 2011, 08:50   #3096

Hi friends,
I am also planning a trip from Pune to Kottayam. tell me how is the stretch, especiallly from coimbatore to angamali? how is the border situations?
Old 19th December 2011, 09:44   #3097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
KeSRTC operations to Coimbatore are in a deep mess. I am just back from a trip to Coimbatore. TNSTC/SETC too have suspended services, reportedly since some TN buses were "allegedly" vandalised in Kerala (I haven't seen any such media reports).

KeSRTC has stopped operating late night/early morning services from Coimbatore. The Bangalore-Kerala services are run through the bypass - they do not enter any town in TN.

Being season time, I am not very sure how feasible the train idea is. Even during off-peak times, the trains to Kerala are packed, and with it being season time, the less said the better.
What About town Bus services to Walayar? is it a option
if it is possible to board passenger train till palakkad? will there be big rush for the 7AM,7.40AM trains?
anyone from coimbatore,palakkad please update.
Old 19th December 2011, 09:46   #3098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What About town Bus services to Walayar? is it a option
if it is possible to board passenger train till palakkad? will there be big rush for the 7AM,7.40AM trains?
anyone from coimbatore,palakkad please update.
Town buses are operating to Walayar as usual (from both ends). Trains are pretty crowded in the morning hours - not sure of the specific timings you mentioned.
Old 19th December 2011, 11:23   #3099
Senior - BHPian

How is the condition of roads through Gundlupet, Wayanad to enter Kerala? Not feeling safe to drive through TN when I drive this weekend.
Old 19th December 2011, 12:05   #3100
BHPian

Very uneasy feeling :(

Am thinking if I should call off my trip on 24th (Chennai - Kochi) or take the flight instead
Old 19th December 2011, 12:29   #3101
Senior - BHPian

I would avoid all roads leading into KL from TN, given the current situation which promises to escalate from Dec 21 if TN politicians carry out their threats to blockade the Coimbatore-Palakkad NH47 too. Already, roads like Theni-Kumili, Theni-Munnar & Udumalipet-Munnar are reported to be under lots of stress and buses are being damaged (and services suspended) in even sectors like Nagercoil-Trivandrum.

The Mysore-Gundulpet-Sultan's Battery-Kozhikode route seems to be one of the assured road corridors open for now.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 14:20   #3102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I would avoid all roads leading into KL from TN, given the current situation which promises to escalate from Dec 21 if TN politicians carry out their threats to blockade the Coimbatore-Palakkad NH47 too. Already, roads like Theni-Kumili, Theni-Munnar & Udumalipet-Munnar are reported to be under lots of stress and buses are being damaged (and services suspended) in even sectors like Nagercoil-Trivandrum.

The Mysore-Gundulpet-Sultan's Battery-Kozhikode route seems to be one of the assured road corridors open for now.
It is only the lunatic fringe elements and some politicians who are behind this senseless madness. The entire population on both sides don't want to fight their neighbors. There are conflicting reports coming up. One side of the story is the tension is getting under control on the border side.

I have been through tight situation before. I used to smear the number plate - the section which declares your state with mud when I travel through troubled area and I have managed to escape. Follow local vehicles and don't raise attention to your car.
Old 19th December 2011, 14:44   #3103
BHPian

Since safe routes to Kerala are in short supply, I plan to take the Bandipur-Gudalur section of Bangalore - Trichur route. A couple of questions to the experts who have travelled on this route often.

1. I will leave Bangalore University at approx. 1600 hrs. I drive a Manza, will have the full complement of 5 people, have no qualms at driving good yet safe speeds (for e.g. 120 kmph on BLR-SALEM-CBE). I have no issues on driving ghat sections at night. If I target only one break for about 15 minutes after passing Mysore, at what reasonable time should I estimate crossing Gudalur Check Post? Am I right in presuming that I should be able to cross by 2000 hrs??

2. After crossing Gudalur checkpost, what are the better family eating places (pure vegetarians), town/locality name, estimated kms etc. will be greatly helpful.

Suresh
Old 19th December 2011, 15:18   #3104
BHPian

Looks like there was some issue at the Hosur border and TN vehicles were blocked for about 6 hours. The reason was stated to be due to gang rivalry resulted in the murder of a local politician (source Indian Express and local news channels).
Guess situation is not serious and traffic is resumed now
Old 19th December 2011, 15:52   #3105
BHPian

Bhpians,

Can someone offer me a ride to Cochin on 22nd or 23rd? I have a booking for the KeSRTC Volvo on 23rd but I'm quite wary of taking it considering the volatile situation at the border. Unfortunately my Car is in Cochin and hence I have limited options

I'm quite a decent driver with ample experience on highways and ever willing to share driving duties and would be glad to share the expenses.

If someone is willing to offer me a ride pls PM me.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Lloyd

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks