Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2011, 20:36   #3226
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
Just returned on this route late last night - Ernakulam-Trichur-Kunnamkulam-Kottakkal-Manjeri-Nilambur-Gudalur-Mysore-Bangalore. Saw no signs of trouble in any of the affected areas. There were quite a few KL registered cars / trucks and even KeSRTC buses plying. Guess it is back to normal now.
I took the route via Thamarassery - Bathery - Gundlupet - Chamrajnagar - Bangalore. Started at around 9 am from Calicut. I had checked with one of my friends who had started earlier and he informed me there were no blocks in the Ghat section. So, did not take the Nilambur route this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The traffic on Thamarassery route is horrible. Did Bangalore-Kodungallur via Bathery yesterday. I left Lakkidi around 11:30, and it was 12:50 by the time I reached Adivaram. They are blocking traffic at every hairpin bend.

In a couple of them, the roads are inexistent now - the situation worsened over the past 5 days!
Looks like yesterday (30th), there was a block caused by a lorry overturning in one of the hairpins which held up traffic till around noon (read it in the papers). I guess you got stuck in this.

For me, the traffic was less. They did block traffic for around 10 minutes between the first and second hairpin due to tarring work. Apart from that, the ghat section was okay. The hairpins are indeed in bad shape. Except for that, the roads are much better than the last time I travelled (in October beginning).
Old 31st December 2011, 22:42   #3227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The traffic on Thamarassery route is horrible. Did Bangalore-Kodungallur via Bathery yesterday. I left Lakkidi around 11:30, and it was 12:50 by the time I reached Adivaram. They are blocking traffic at every hairpin bend.

Attachment 862388

In a couple of them, the roads are inexistent now - the situation worsened over the past 5 days!

KeSRTC has resumed all interstate services to normalcy now. They are running trips without police protection now.

Thanks for the wonderful shot, its quite a trouble! Choosing between Gudalur and Coimbatore for my drive back to Bangalore tomorrow.

Any latest updates is highly appreciated since news and media is not disclosing anything now a days.

Wishing all BHPians a Very Happy New Year 2012.
Old 31st December 2011, 22:52   #3228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Thanks for the wonderful shot, its quite a trouble! Choosing between Gudalur and Coimbatore for my drive back to Bangalore tomorrow.
If the media are to be believed, things are getting back to normal. If you are driving a non-KL registered car, take the Coimbatore route without hesitation.

Both the Coimbatore and Gudalur routes are now reportedly safe, and you should take a call based on your timings and whether you love zipping through or driving a bit on the ghats, with almost 80% two-lane roads. (I'd take the ghat+2-lane, though).

From my recent drives, I notice that I get better mileage when I am on two-lanes than on four-lanes - may be since my foot is lighter when I am on a two lane.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 07:12   #3229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the media are to be believed, things are getting back to normal. If you are driving a non-KL registered car, take the Coimbatore route without hesitation.

Both the Coimbatore and Gudalur routes are now reportedly safe, and you should take a call based on your timings and whether you love zipping through or driving a bit on the ghats, with almost 80% two-lane roads. (I'd take the ghat+2-lane, though).

From my recent drives, I notice that I get better mileage when I am on two-lanes than on four-lanes - may be since my foot is lighter when I am on a two lane.
Thanks, today my preference is travel time and hence Coimbatore the one for me. But at the same time I really admire the green drive via Nilgiris, I took this route while coming home.
Old 1st January 2012, 16:28   #3230
Senior - BHPian

Back from my trip to Kerala today through Shornur>Palakkad>Salem route. Absolutely blissful drive. Covered the distance between Palakkad and Bangalore in 5hr 30 mins including a 20 mins breakfast at Ariyaas on NH47.
Old 1st January 2012, 20:13   #3231
Senior - BHPian

After a long time, did the Bhavani-Mettur-Thoppur route to Bangalore. Bhavani to Mettur is badly patched, can do only 40 kmph. Mettur to Thoppur is absolute breeze.
Old 2nd January 2012, 09:22   #3232
BHPian

Returned from Kerala yesterday via Perumbavoor>angamali>trissur>palakkad>Coimbatore>S alem>bangalore. It took 10hrs to cover with 1 hr break.
There was no sign of unrest or protest seen as many KL regd vehicles are plying on coimbatore route.

Onward journey I took batheri>tamarasery >kozikode bypass route. considering number of turns/potholes these routes are not good for long drive . Better get beaten by protesters than this route so I took regular route in return .
Old 2nd January 2012, 09:36   #3233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
After a long time, did the Bhavani-Mettur-Thoppur route to Bangalore. Bhavani to Mettur is badly patched, can do only 40 kmph. Mettur to Thoppur is absolute breeze.
Me too did this route last week after a long time. The whole stretch looked much crowded than before may be because I was traveling during evening hours. While coming back, took Edappadi - Omallur route and felt much easier.
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:23   #3234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Thanks, today my preference is travel time and hence Coimbatore the one for me. But at the same time I really admire the green drive via Nilgiris, I took this route while coming home.
Reached Bangalore safely via Coimbatore -> Salem. Total distance 603KMs. Travel time of 11 hours. Roads are almost the same condition with deviations for 4 laning but very much drivable for any car.

BTW spotted many TBHP vehicles in Kerala and on the way, couldn't recollect the numbers but below KA vehicles I recollect.

1) TATA Safari Dicor - Green - Yellow L2D sticker - Mallappally - 29th December 2011
2) Maruti Baleno - Beige - Yellow L2D sticker - NH47 & NH4 - 1st Jan 2012
3) Maruti Alto - Black - Yellow L2D sticker - NH7 - 1st Jan 2012
Old 2nd January 2012, 18:09   #3235
BHPian

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good place to stay (URL/Phone#) with family (2 adults + 2 kids) in both Angamaly and Aluva? This is for a family who is planning to visit Thiruvairanikulam temple during the annual 12-day opening of the same starting next sunday. Also, please provide the exact directions to the temple starting with where the exact deviations in both NH-47 and MC Road?

Thanks,
-Ajith
Old 2nd January 2012, 18:24   #3236
BHPian

Did a Thrissur-Munnar-Thrissur trip yesterday. Road condition in Thrissur-Adimaali stretch is excellent. Adimali-Munnar stretch is ok with some potholes. Main issue was traffic block at Perumbavoor and rashly driven Innovas. One may use google maps on mobile to byepass signal and blocks at Perumbavur.
Old 2nd January 2012, 20:06   #3237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good place to stay (URL/Phone#) with family (2 adults + 2 kids) in both Angamaly and Aluva? This is for a family who is planning to visit Thiruvairanikulam temple during the annual 12-day opening of the same starting next sunday.
-Ajith
Angamaly: Surya, Gee Bee Palace, Elite, Hills Park
Alwaye: Periyar
Old 2nd January 2012, 20:12   #3238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Angamaly: Surya, Gee Bee Palace, Elite, Hills Park
Alwaye: Periyar
Actually, seen these names in web but would like to hear some positive comments/reviews based on any personal experiences. Can you please help in this regard too? As for my family, we usually prefer to stay either in Thrissur/Guruvayur or Ernakulam on our trips as it serves as convenient meeting point as well for people coming from different routes. This time, I need to recommend a hotel to some family with kids and who is a bit over-dependent on reliable personal recommendations :-)
Old 2nd January 2012, 20:29   #3239
Senior - BHPian

What is the preferred budget? Do you consider hotels nearby airport as well?
Old 2nd January 2012, 21:09   #3240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
What is the preferred budget? Do you consider hotels nearby airport as well?
Non-A/c Double B/R around Rs. 1000 as they may not stay overnight. Plan to reach Angamaly/Aluva around early breakfast time in the morning (from their relative home near Palakkad) with a single-point agenda of visiting the 2 temples, viz. Thiruvairanikulam and Aluva Siva temples, during the day. The room is just for freshening up and then taking rest during the day. As of now, they are planning to drive back to Guruvayur same evening/night for the next day early morning darshan and will stay overnight there in Hotel Elite. I think by the time they finish their main reason-of-visit-this-time-around-in-particular temple (Thiruvairanikulam), it will be closure time for Aluva and they may need to take rest (atleast for the kids) till the time Aluva temple opens in the evening around 4 or 5 PM. No issues with hotels nearly airport if there is any in the same budget. And with this condition in mind, you may suggest any good alternatives too.

Most Viewed